Merchandise At Events

OK, After reading a couple of comments on the events threads, something I have, up to now, not given much thought, but maybe a few others opinions would be good,

What do members think should and should not be allowed on sale at venues? the legalities?

If the promoter hasn't asked for or charged a merchandiser for their pitch who should police what they sell? The promoter? Venue owner? Anyone?

What kind of things enhance the event? Are there things a bit too tacky?

I don't really care one way or the other, but would be good to hear the views of some promoters, sellers etc,

Mods If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Suddenly I feel very inadequate....... :lol: :lol:

If you saw the length of my legs you'd realise I want some for disposable waders :D

Social source share

Guest john s

Are there things a bit too tacky?

I think every piece of Northern merchandise I've ever seen would fall into this category.

Social source share

Guest john s

I must admit that I wasn't actually classing records as 'merchandise', though some would definitely fall into the 'too tacky' category. :D

Social source share

I must admit that I wasn't actually classing records as 'merchandise', though some would definitely fall into the 'too tacky' category. :D

But that is what I was thinking about with my initial post, 'selling at events' what's acceptable, legal (not just copyright etc but actually selling} and appealing?

Social source share

What could you possibly want to sell that wouldn't be legal (apart from issues of copyright)?

I don't know that's why I'm asking, is it OK for someone to pitch up at the local working mens club and set up a pitch and sell anything copyright or otherwise? and who's responsibility is it to police it?

Social source share

Guest john s

You could get in touch with your local Trading Standards Office and ask them about the legalities.

Or you could ask the local working men's club, as it'll be on their premises.

It would be illegal to sell anything that breached copyright, I'd have thought, but I really can't imagine anyone getting too heated over a tea caddy with an Okeh logo on it...

Social source share

You could get in touch with your local Trading Standards Office and ask them about the legalities.

Or you could ask the local working men's club, as it'll be on their premises.

It would be illegal to sell anything that breached copyright, I'd have thought, but I really can't imagine anyone getting too heated over a tea caddy with an Okeh logo on it...

But in an earlier post you said such an item was too tacky, it's just a discussion about a prevalent part of the 'scene', that I'm not sure has been discussed much at all,

I don't wanna ask the local working mens club anything, I said in the first post I don't really care, I just thought on a bored Thursday evening it would be an interesting topic,

Social source share

can I see an elephant in the room, its in the main, a load of tacky crap and has no place at allnighter and soul nights, although I will conceed it may be exceptable at some, in the right context, daytime events. I've not got a big problem with it personally, but it can be very invasive and ruin the vibe if its in a main room, ie somewhere folks are dancing, and I think if I was young I'd run a mile at the sight of someone flogging, cups, pencil sharpeners, talc holders, and particulrly plastic clothing for plasic people with plastic minds and plasitc ideas.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This shite aint around much to my eyes thank fook...

I remember at Prestatyn weekenders, this tack was growing by the year like an out of control river of shite...

Also popping up in more and more adverts on the net... Remember that t-shirt company who had the same name as my club night :lol: , people were contacting me for t shirts saying " i'm Mod for it", " johnsons talc, its a soul thing " :lol: :lol: ..

Not sure if its around many other weekenders or soul events????/ i never see it..

Social source share

I think tables for selling original records should be provided free of charge at weekenders - buying and selling rare vinyl is and always has been a significant part of the soul scene. I also think a room full of record tables adds to the atmosphere and brings in a larger crowd

With regards to the selling of vinyl reissues, clothing, mugs, greetings cards etc, tables for these items should be chargeable - if these sellers want to replenish stock they just order or manufacture more whereas there is a lot of hard work put into sourcing original vinyl records these days

Not everyone will agree with this but I know a lot who will

free tables for records, and a skip for all the other shite

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Soul condoms........they are the new Garlic Bread!!!!!!! Made of vinyl not rubber

Tried it mate , but the Mrs. prefers the 12" :shhh: (In my dreams )

Swifty :thumbsup:

Might have guessed somebody else would have said it ranting_1.gif

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

Guest Byrney

I do sometimes wonder how we survived in the 80s 90s without the opportunity to purchase a tea towel saying it'll never be over for me. But they seem to fit with the nostalgia scene so why not..Let them get on with it.

But they'd be laughed out the place at the real deal nighters, who will have to put up with dealers selling OV.

Social source share

Guest soulboymick

Cannot understand anyone buying it. Looks poor and makes Soulies look ridiculous. Went to Brid for the 2nd time a few weeks ago and bloody tables full of trash. C'mon promoters get a grip :(

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Be interesting to see if any of the sellers of this stuff would care to comment. How about those who i heared were selling Northern Soul golliwogs at Prestatyn a few years ago?

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Cannot understand anyone buying it. Looks poor and makes Soulies look ridiculous. Went to Brid for the 2nd time a few weeks ago and bloody tables full of trash. C'mon promoters get a grip :(

i would loose them tomorrow and agree ... , all traders are put on the balcony out of the way we moved them after year 1 with the exception of one who will be on the balcony next year so we will be trader free in all rooms .. if we had nowhere for them to stand out of the way then they would not be there .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

if the people didn't buy the shyte no one would be selling it. responsibility (if trading standards were to look at it) lays on the sellers' shoulders unless there is a contract between trader and landlord that says otherwise.

Social source share

Given the amount of people wandering around these events in period fancy dress thinking it's still the 3-day week then I'd say a few stalls selling knickers with "Indeed I Do" on the front is nothing to worry about....

Social source share

aside from records the other "stuff" is just terrible IMO something i'd never buy and to be honest its cringeworthy.

shall I wear a smedley polo or a NS fist and keep the faith comment t-shirt, mmmmmm tough decision..... :D

Social source share

well i'm sure you know what I meant......

As I was the one who said 'including records' I haven't a clue what you meant, I obviously, because of my comment, consider records for sale in a public place to be merchandise,

Would be great if you told me what you meant,

Social source share

As I was the one who said 'including records' I haven't a clue what you meant, I obviously, because of my comment, consider records for sale in a public place to be merchandise,

what I mean is origional 45s are the lifeblood of the scene and I would expect to see them for sale at an event.

some stupid mug or gollywog has nothing what so ebver to do with helping this scene so is not needed.

is that OK for you ?

Social source share

what I mean is origional 45s are the lifeblood of the scene and I would expect to see them for sale at an event.

some stupid mug or gollywog has nothing what so ebver to do with helping this scene so is not needed.

is that OK for you ?

I agree with all you say,

I am only responding to you telling me records aren't merchandise, how could I possibly have known you meant the above?

Social source share

where exactly in you opening post did you mention records ? I must be blind.....

maybe you added that in a later post after somebody else entered records into the discussion......

Social source share

I agree with all you say,

I am only responding to you telling me records aren't merchandise, how could I possibly have known you meant the above?

if you agree with all I say maybe you started this thread for exactly the reason I would have as well and we have the same opinion. :thumbsup:

I find it sad the way what should be an underground music scene has gone pretty much down the pan.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

where exactly in you opening post did you mention records ? I must be blind.....

maybe you added that in a later post after somebody else entered records into the discussion......

Where exactly in my opening post did I mention any individual item? I just mentioned merchandise,

Social source share

if you agree with all I say maybe you started this thread for exactly the reason I would have as well and we have the same opinion. :thumbsup:

I find it sad the way what should be an underground music scene has gone pretty much down the pan.....

I just thought it would be something not (to my knowledge) discussed too much on here, that would be an interesting topic,

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

I added records to the thread when someone said there shouldn't be any merchandise for sale,

Social source share

Don't make any difference to me, if people want to sell that stuff, fine, if people want to buy it, fine, I can actually see how a Northern Soul cup would be useful, say you started at a job in an office or factory, if you took your NS mug along it might be a conversation starter and you'd make lots of new mates, so there you go, merchandise can be useful after all.

Social source share

I added records to the thread when someone said there shouldn't be any merchandise for sale,

and I made the assumption, prehaps wrongly, that you were talking about all merchandise except records.

anyway we agree on this in general.

the record bar was always a great place to start a soul night or nighter for me.

I don;t think i;d enjoy the tea towel bar quite so much.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't make any difference to me, if people want to sell that stuff, fine, if people want to buy it, fine, I can actually see how a Northern Soul cup would be useful, say you started at a job in an office or factory, if you took your NS mug along it might be a conversation starter and you'd make lots of new mates, so there you go, merchandise can be useful after all.

And your new mate would have a mug from back in '94,putting you firmly in your place.The urine could be extracted at work as well.

Social source share

what sad lives some of you have ,

sometimes wonder how some folk manage to get through life constantly dissing what other people do when it has no bearing on their own inadeuate existance .

real deal nighters ffs :hatsoff2:

so whats your view on the subject , after all that is what the original poster was asking ?

not what people think of other members views

Social source share

so whats your view on the subject , after all that is what the original poster was asking ?

not what people think of other members views

no-one is compelled to buy or even look at whatever is for sale , irrespective of the merits of the items on offer,

seems like just another pop at people who want to make money out of the scene ,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!