Over Rated Records

Daz

Ordinary Joe bloody awful :yes: not over keen on what Ive heard of the rest of his output , so as for daft guilty as charged m,lord :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

Not overly keen on Ordinary Joe myself but I think that Look At Me Now is as good as it gets. Isn't he a critically acclaimed musician and composer?

ATB

Mike

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Not overly keen on Ordinary Joe myself but I think that Look At Me Now is as good as it gets. Isn't he a critically acclaimed musician and composer?

ATB

Mike

Unfortunately look at me now is as good as it gets for him the rest of his stuff is awful :)

Social source share

Unfortunately look at me now is as good as it gets for him the rest of his stuff is awful :)

I suppose he's borderline soul/gospel/jazz kind of like Bill Withers doesn't fit into one category.

Having said that, I think both Look At Me Now and Ordinary Joe are outstanding.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

This is a point i,ve talked about many times...a lot of this music is made to be heard out at a club with a host of people all getting on it one way or another...........dance soul for instance don,t sound quite right wazzing down the a35 to cornwall ect ect.........music has to be heard in context............ie.....in a room full of mates having the crac getting on it with the right kinda vibe created by the music thats played.........so listening to a record alone in your back room dosn,t always present it in it,s best light tezza one who knows

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I definitely can see seattle stuff (esp. the wheedle's groove comp stuff) being mediocre but there are a bunch of excellent group 45s (slow or uptempo) from the city. Somehow I managed to get almost all the seattle records I needed for much cheaper than the going rate. The best one by far imo is Jonah's Whale "why", killer sweet soul.

Jonah's Whale were from Tacoma, in fact. Don't tell a Tacoma group they were from Seattle, it's a real sore point with them! The record you mention is scarce, they have another 45 on a different label. I dunno what you mean by going rate but some of the local records (Priceless and Push, both bland generic records to my ears - but slick disco era recordings ain't my thing) were WAY inflated but the price on these and Seattle Pure Dynomite have come back to earth. All those records are still findable. The blue label Cold Bold and Together is also hard to find and in big demand right now.

Social source share

I suppose he's borderline soul/gospel/jazz kind of like Bill Withers doesn't fit into one category.

Having said that, I think both Look At Me Now and Ordinary Joe are outstanding.

You forgot to throw in a bit of folk as well :wink:

I really like Terry Callier, fantastic song writer, composer and singer. Got 5/6 albums by him and not one dull track on them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jonah's Whale were from Tacoma, in fact. Don't tell a Tacoma group they were from Seattle, it's a real sore point with them! The record you mention is scarce, they have another 45 on a different label. I dunno what you mean by going rate but some of the local records (Priceless and Push, both bland generic records to my ears - but slick disco era recordings ain't my thing) were WAY inflated but the price on these and Seattle Pure Dynomite have come back to earth. All those records are still findable. The blue label Cold Bold and Together is also hard to find and in big demand right now.

The other jonah's whale 45 on treesong has a sweet side that is a cover of a dells song from the 50s. Not as good as "why" though. I have a mint copy of the blue label cold bold and together. their other two ice 45s suck imo, but i need their century 45 if you have one to sell / trade. I got a clean copy of push for $100 recently. for some reason almost every seattle record I get I get some weird deal from somewhere. Got a super clean seattle pure dynomite for $400 (and the ballad side is like 7 minutes long so it has to be clean).

Social source share

You're wrong Mark. Different people get different things from Terry Callier, true he hasn't done many tunes that are northern soul style, although Look at me now and Ordinary Joe as Pete says are both fantastic pieces. He's done some wonderful mellow, chilled out soul jazz folk stuff that sounds so good on a Sunday morning, if not at a northern all nighter.

Here's couple of killers (both on one 45) :thumbsup:

Jordi

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest micksoul

Have been following this thread with interest , i think Eddie Parker would have been a massive record regardless of rarity , those dramatic breakes make the record , same with Patrinella Staten , the choppy guitar lick and memorable hook makes it an easy record to dance to , as for the Mello souls .. a fantastic allnighter record that probablly loses something when listening to it at home , my own choice is Hey girl/The Vondells , way too fast and a very messy production IMO

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Fair enough guys, we've got very different ears and soul tastes obviously.

Basically some people are blessed with an ear for music Jordi, like your goodself, others are obviously not, i pity those that were not given that gift from God.. :wink:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

You're wrong Mark. Different people get different things from Terry Callier, true he hasn't done many tunes that are northern soul style, although Look at me now and Ordinary Joe as Pete says are both fantastic pieces. He's done some wonderful mellow, chilled out soul jazz folk stuff that sounds so good on a Sunday morning, if not at a northern all nighter.

Here's couple of killers (both on one 45) :thumbsup:

Jordi

Incredible record, sheer delightful music of the highest order.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Call me a Philistine or tell me I,m wrong but those two killer tracks are bloody awfull :sleep3:

However I appreciate your efforts to try and convince me otherwise :hatsoff2:

You're a philistine...............

Social source share

Basically some people are blessed with an ear for music Jordi, like your goodself, others are obviously not, i pity those that were not given that gift from God.. :wink:

I know that was tongue in cheek but it's not quite that simple because no two people are the same, be it taste in food, clothes, whatever.

Social source share

The thing with Terry Callier is that he is a bona fide artist who actually composes his own songs, still making records and gigging as far as I know. This clip is just extraordinary - flip to Look At me Now. I appreciate real artistry - probably why I like Bob Dylan, Led Zepplin et al and good soul music, staying up all night and ......... Edit ( silly comment removed ).

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

The Parliaments is almost the perfect example of Detroit Northern Soul, it has absolutely everything a Detroit tune should have from the sound to everyone playing on it and right down to the writing credits.

If it was rare it would be on everyone's wants list and most DJ play lists, same as Take it Baby would be.

I also used to love Blanche Carter, still really like it as a fantastic Girlie tune, but I have no Wigan snobbery to speak of as I only went once.

Just trying to balance the negative v positive slant of the thread :lol:

detroit or not still makes me cringe mate.these tracks plus afew others i just cant stand,its all down to personal taste in the end
Social source share

incredibly narrow minded, imho, i have real problem in respecting the thoughts of people who only like northern/ 6ts/ 7ts/ modern, maybe thats not you but there's certainly a few of them on here.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

right here's my current most cringeworthy tune,

papa bear and the cubs,

its not that its a real dirge, the band are ok, and he can sing a bit but for Christ sake what's that gotta do with the northern scene? how to kill a dancefloor or what? it's the production, absolute pouse.cant belive this has been a big tune for so long, and what a waz name as well!

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

:ohmy: Wow! I am amazed at the difference in taste that we are all on the same forum. I agree whole heartedly with Mr. Soul, but the other two?

Lou Pride to me is just a tour de force, and I regret to say I've never managed to own a copy. Even the instrumental version is epic.

lou pride has an appauling break and realistically if the lyric wasnt intrinsically linked with the 'scene' it would be just another uptempo texas side, not in the same league as his version of 'mans world'

Social source share

I knew Dunmore back in the 80's, still to say hello to. He was good mates of Ivor Jones back then another old Mod from West London :shhh:

What cracks me up is people will slag off The Carstairs (shame on you call yourselves soul fans) and not say a word about that Tribute shit. There are thousands of far far better House tracks too.

first time i heard tribute, i thought it was a recording of a live pa, and a bad one at that, people think that is the current sound of soulful garage! its 10 years out of date, and those filtered breakdowns are awful, oh and its too fast!

Social source share

papa bear and the cubs,

its not that its a real dirge, the band are ok, and he can sing a bit but for Christ sake what's that gotta do with the northern scene? how to kill a dancefloor or what? it's the production, absolute pouse.cant belive this has been a big tune for so lonig, and what a waz name as well!

I agree with you, it's just like a decent midtempo tune (not that I wouldn't like to get a copy). Apparently the name is from the fact that it's a father and his kids.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mark S, obviously a Northern fan .... BUT CERTAINLY NOT a soul fan .....

I have dozens of TC tracks that I rate as being far far better than "Look At Me Now".

The man's also great live and a true gentleman to boot (he apologised for making me wait 5 minutes to get a 45 signed).

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Mello Souls... just noise, £50 record and no one would want it

Bob & Fred... just listen to those voices... much better as an instrumental..

Social source share

I have dozens of TC tracks that I rate as being far far better than "Look At Me Now".

The man's also great live and a true gentleman to boot (he apologised for making me wait 5 minutes to get a 45 signed).

that isn't fair. Terry Callier's music is soulful but it doesn't epitomize "Soul" -- it's almost as much jazz and folk as it is soul. Secondly, say someone was into southern soul music and didn't like terry callier. Would you say that that person is not a soul fan?

EDIT: not that there aren't people who are into northern soul but not into soul, just that you can't judge them by whether or not they like terry callier

Edited by boba
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

incredibly narrow minded, imho, i have real problem in respecting the thoughts of people who only like northern/ 6ts/ 7ts/ modern, maybe thats not you but there's certainly a few of them on here.

Best not come on a thread called "over rated" then, if he doesn't like Terry Callier, he doesn't like Terry Callier, it's nothing to do with the rest of us. I respect him for coming out and saying it and not feeling he has to say he likes stuff just in case the likes of yourself make comments like the one you made above. I like Look At Me Now and Ordinary Joe and that's it for me and probably many many more.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

papa bear and the cubs,

its not that its a real dirge, the band are ok, and he can sing a bit but for Christ sake what's that gotta do with the northern scene? how to kill a dancefloor or what? it's the production, absolute pouse.cant belive this has been a big tune for so long, and what a waz name as well!

:lol: ,you after the Mr.Grumpy Crown Geese?.Papa bear & Cubs.....xover heaven mate.See you on 26th. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Best not come on a thread called "over rated" then, if he doesn't like Terry Callier, he doesn't like Terry Callier, it's nothing to do with the rest of us. I respect him for coming out and saying it and not feeling he has to say he likes stuff just in case the likes of yourself make comments like the one you made above. I like Look At Me Now and Ordinary Joe and that's it for me and probably many many more.

its a fair point pete, I've just found so many on this scene that are into collecting rather than into music, and it irks me when a guy with so much talent and originality gets stick because his records dont fit the 'northern mold'. To be honest its the ones that dont fit the blueprint I usually like the most, apart from papa bear that is

Social source share

:lol: ,you after the Mr.Grumpy Crown Geese?.Papa bear & Cubs.....xover heaven mate.See you on 26th. :thumbsup:

fair do's a was a tad on the grump last night but, pappa bear, really Kev, I know loads love it but it just leaves me cold, some X- over is great but this is pipe and slippers soul of the higest order, coco and leccy blanket soul even.

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Big Joe Turner - Two loves have I. Just perfect for a bit of Vic Reeves 'club style' frivolity :) .

Larry Clinton - She's wanted.... state 1 being monotonous, state 2 being repetetive, state 3 being :sleep3:

I love Larry Clinton, I think its a brilliant record, the one record I have NEVER liked is Skip Mahoney Janice but people seem to love it? Don't get it at all ... each to their own :)

Social source share

See to me Lou Pride is just a fabulous 45. Overplayed sure. But the energy and mayhem on the record is just awesome. Then there's the story about how he rung his g/f and was missing her, so wrote the song one night....then there's the Hi / royal Studios connection. Then there's the fact, I saw one at Wigan in 77, but at £35 it was totally outside of my price range and had to wait another 10 years to get one. Then there was the fact that Lou was a really great guy, with a long pedigree and someone who'd never been given the breaks he deserved in the biz.

Whilst I probably wouldn't play I.C.H.I.T.M out, or want to hear some DJ spin it, I'd never ever sell it or hear a bad word said against it.

Agree Lou Pride one powerhouse of a record - thinking back to times in the 70s at 3am in the morning and hearing Lou Pride followed by Manifesto and then Joe Hicks - breathtaking stuff.

Social source share

The thing with Terry Callier is that he is a bona fide artist who actually composes his own songs, still making records and gigging as far as I know. This clip is just extraordinary - flip to Look At me Now. I appreciate real artistry - probably why I like Bob Dylan, Led Zepplin et al and good soul music, staying up all night and ......... Edit ( silly comment removed ).

Terry Callier magnificent live in my opinion - when I saw him he had some of Britains best jazz players backing him but his vocal still held the centre of the stage an immense dignified presence who's not easily pigeon holed.

Edited by manus
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Not at all narrow minded just not heard any TC that floats my boat thats all and to prove my point about overated the responces that Ive had to my comments/oppinions amazing .

Social source share

IDIOT :D

Not a soul fan ?

Edited by Mark S
Social source share

Not at all narrow minded just not heard any TC that floats my boat thats all and to prove my point about overated the responces that Ive had to my comments/oppinions amazing .

sorry mate , it wasnt meant ot be personal, but I still cant say how anyone can say he's overated, I dont like Queen or U2, but I'd never say they were overated, they deserve respect as talented musicians and songwritters. I mean the guys never really had a chart hit, and in the grand sceme of things he has a small cult following. Just how is he overated, by whom?

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I don't know anyone who likes Blanche Carter!

Love Stemmons Express and The Del Larks though.

Don't like The Precisions version!

Takes all sorts.

I don't know anyone who likes Blanche Carter!

Love Stemmons Express and The Del Larks though.

Don't like The Precisions version!

Takes all sorts.

I like it, and not because you've said you don't know anyone who likes it. When the scene was a northern scene, it fitted perfectly IMO, and would still dance to it now :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!