A Question For The Oldies Brigade ?

Speedlimit

Ok here we go  imagine this  all the top 500 had not been discovered yet, but sounds such as the mello souls , imperial.c's sandy golden, and all the other excellent 60's 70's sounds of the last 15 -20 years were the sounds of the so called golden era. Now imagine this the likes of moses smith  tomangoes. salvadors  etc were now new spins this year , would the oldies brigade be so reluctant to accept them as new sounds????. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I get the hypothesis - potentially quite a deep discussion here.

Can see lots of folk coming forward with interesting and insightful comments on this one.

But will the "oldies brigade" have their say I wonder?  :g:

I prefer the Stafford sound to the Wigan sound by the way - so many of the top 500 are not particular favourites of mine - and some I think are a bag-o-sh*te  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

depends when you got into it i suppose out of the six tunes mentioned imperial c` is the best closely followed by tomangoes and moses smith.....salvadors the worst outta the bunch but none too shabby.. got to know all the sounds above with the exception of the mello souls within maybe four years after coming obsessed with the scene

Bottom line is Moses Smith, Tomangoes and Salvadors are simply much better records than the other three (to my ears at least, lol) so I imagine that fans of the former would generally have no problem with the latter!

:)

Sean

Social source share

It may seem obvious but if some of the old classics were new discoveries today I don't see how anyone would "refuse to accept them" because the standard of most records was so high.

Interesting things still turn up of course but in the early 1970s we had dozens of great 45s being discovered every month.  Just imagine going out one weekend and hearing things such as 'Blowing My Mind To Pieces', 'Too Darn Soulful' or 'My Heart Needs A Break' for the very first time.

It's a nice thought.

:ohmy:

Social source share

All these records sound like oldies ie 1966-1969 vintage. If they were Crossover sounds then they would be less accepted by the oldies crowd but they're not... Do oldies lovers really resent the discovery of new oldies? I would hope not given that it's all good music. To answer the question, the oldies brigade would embrace these sounds as they're good dance tunes and timeless in their appeal.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't view the oldies crowd as a group who purely like oldies - they like what is popular

They're all straight on the floor when the likes of Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground or Billy Davis - Stanky are played

Basically, if a record is rammed down their throats for long enough they'll come to accept it

Agreed......

Tracks like Moses Smith and Ruby Andrews aren't popular today because people remember them from their 'Yoof', they're popular because they have a certain tempo and production that's right for todays scene, this also explains why tracks like DJ Genitals or that god awful 'Tribute' thing is filling floors at 'Local Soul'.

I think these days the music is only part of the general scene, it's as much about the social aspect as it is about  what comes out of the speakers.

The days where every soul night was just Wigan Oldies aimed at the  A typical returnee is long gone,

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

I don't view the oldies crowd as a group who purely like oldies - they like what is popular

They're all straight on the floor when the likes of Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground or Billy Davis - Stanky are played

Basically, if a record is rammed down their throats for long enough they'll come to accept

cant agree with this last statement ,a crap record is a crap record no matter how many times it gets played .

this is what really does my napper in, who the fook thinks they are god and should decide what we want , :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Big Al 68

The way I see things ( usually cock eyed and blurry ! ) is surely even the most played to death "oldie" had to be played 1st somewhere as a "new " spin, to a sweaty bunch of soulies who were probably thinking " what the fecks this ??" .  So even the most ardent , dyed in the wool Oldies fan, at some point were open minded and eager

to hear/dance to / collect "newies" ! .  So at what point did they think to themselves " right , no more , I'm quite happy to listen to the same tracks , every week , for the next 30 years" ?    Whatever happened to real Northern soul nights / niters , where you had your fix of oldies , newies ( that word still baffles me ! ), rarities and cover ups, in a word , something for every one !

I am not out to cause offence, nor having a pop at anyone , people who know me will ( I hope ) agree I aint like that, its just my own

personal view . I love oldies , but also look forward to hearing some new tunes, (well new to me at least) each week, but unfortunately ,this is becoming a rare treat !

Regards

Al

Social source share

The way I see things ( usually cock eyed and blurry ! ) is surely even the most played to death "oldie" had to be played 1st somewhere as a "new " spin, to a sweaty bunch of soulies who were probably thinking " what the fecks this ??" .  So even the most ardent , dyed in the wool Oldies fan, at some point were open minded and eager

to hear/dance to / collect "newies" ! .  So at what point did they think to themselves " right , no more , I'm quite happy to listen to the same tracks , every week , for the next 30 years" ?    Whatever happened to real Northern soul nights / niters , where you had your fix of oldies , newies ( that word still baffles me ! ), rarities and cover ups, in a word , something for every one !

I am not out to cause offence, nor having a pop at anyone , people who know me will ( I hope ) agree I aint like that, its just my own

personal view . I love oldies , but also look forward to hearing some new tunes, (well new to me at least) each week, but unfortunately ,this is becoming a rare treat !

Regards

Al

these are my feeling as well , trouble is there isn't that much new music that cuts the mustard ,consider myself fortunate that I am of an age that when I first came on the scene nobody had heard of northern soul it was just great music to dance to with like minded souls,

am sure most people will accept a good record no matter what era/genre it comes from .  we were spoilt back then when there was a plethora of great records coming online every week ,

Edited by barney
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

these are my feeling as well , trouble is there isn't that much new music that cuts the mustard ,consider myself fortunate that I am of an age that when I first came on the scene nobody had heard of northern soul it was just great music to dance to with like minded souls,

am sure most people will accept a good record no matter what era/genre it comes from .  we were spoilt back then when there was a plethora of great records coming online every week ,

Very true, we were spoiled rotten, and that's why we're so hard to please now.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

cant agree with this last statement ,a crap record is a crap record no matter how many times it gets played .

this is what really does my napper in, who the fook thinks they are god and should decide what we want , :hatsoff2:

Ultimately Barney it's the dance floor that decides. That 'Tribute' track I mentioned above is about as crap a record as it's possible to get IMHO, yet dance floors around the country every week would beg to differ with my thinking on this piece of shite. :g:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Big Al 68

I missed the hey day, Stafford onwards was my era, and I'm still playing catch up today !  What I had meant to put across ( but failed miserably) was not so much as new discoveries I wanted to hear, which are very few and far between these days , but some of the thousands of forgotten/underplayed/ discs , although probably never massive , were still part of our scene . Whether I like the tune or not , its still a breath of fresh air, for me at least .

Social source share

Love "tribute"  think it's a great play to finish off a night and is always played at the end of one of my local venues and might i add i am one of the oldies brigade,that's my  honest opinion!

What venues play this?

Social source share

Ok here we go  imagine this  all the top 500 had not been discovered yet, but sounds such as the mello souls , imperial.c's sandy golden, and all the other excellent 60's 70's sounds of the last 15 -20 years were the sounds of the so called golden era. Now imagine this the likes of moses smith  tomangoes. salvadors  etc were now new spins this year , would the oldies brigade be so reluctant to accept them as new sounds????. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Hi, I am hoping to test that theory. On the scene since the mid 70's my wife also no kids so have not had a break from travelling attending etc and have enjoyed it all. My musical taste has expanded and moved forward along the way. Missed about 1 Stafford. Love lifeline. Recently had a good chat at Stewartby with Tez aka Gordon Russell who was on about the Burnley uptempo vibe and the records he named and a couple that one of the ones dj played that nite I had never heard. The two I heard had that excitement factor. Iove to hear new stuff so Burnley hear I come as soon as I can. The reason I had not gone before is I drove to venues alone for approx. the last 5 years (wife into upfront modern) so a 100mile radius was my limit to be awake on the way home. But now hooking up with top soul buddies Mark and Manus the sky is the limit. Have done more niters of Late since when Manus last went it was more niters than soul nites. It has been a ball. Typing this at work feeling pee'd off missing Nunny niter tonite.

atb Kimbo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gfarrington

if moses smith etc were brand new sounds it would be f***** ace, & i'd be thinking how come these were not discovered earlier & thinking wow what is going to turn up next,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,happy days

Social source share

Ultimately Barney it's the dance floor that decides. That 'Tribute' track I mentioned above is about as crap a record as it's possible to get IMHO, yet dance floors around the country every week would beg to differ with my thinking on this piece of shite. :g:

well if that's so we would be up to our necks in The Elgins /Joy Lovejoy type of sounds which always fill the dancefloor .

stand back and listen, tribute no more deserves to be played at a northern soul night than does say Eloise or car wash or dare I say black Sabbath  .

Ive heard the latter played at a soul nite thought to be fair it was a charity nite and the floor was rammed ffs ,

some people just don't get it,, eh :glare:

Edited by barney
Social source share

Nah, Sounds like the music you hear playing in the background when your walking around B&Q buying your wallpaper, no substance to it. Why would anyone choose to play that when you can stick on a perfectly good, banging 60's stormer. But 70's & modern has never really done it for me anyway. Each & to their own.

Exactly John - I won't tell you what to like if you don't tell me ay? :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Now that is a very good question sir.

Social source share

Had this conversation a few times ,usually at all nighters.Take Lou Pride for instance."Im coming home etc"..a Northern Soul classic.

But if newly discovered now ,would it be relegated to the "new funky shite" category ? Or be as readily accepted as it was back then.?

Social source share

A hint of reverse psycology, would the rare and underplayed  brigade accept them as undiscovered sounds???.

ROY

Social source share

Had this conversation a few times ,usually at all nighters.Take Lou Pride for instance."Im coming home etc"..a Northern Soul classic.

But if newly discovered now ,would it be relegated to the "new funky shite" category ? Or be as readily accepted as it was back then.?

No, it's fookin class my friend. In fact it sounds even better now than it did back in the day. One I never managed to obtain.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Your never gonna find the quality and quantity as when stuff such as salvadors, tomangoes etc but if it was role reversal then I would seek out and go to venues that played this new up tempo new genre everybody is calling northern soul.

Because no matter how rare sandy golden is it ain't never gonna be a stonking floor killer as its fecking boring tripe!!!

Dazz

• Helpful 3
Social source share

GOOD, I dont think you would be missed as likewise anyone with a narrow mind falls into the same catagory,

My mind is open to any decent music and I search it out unlike some sheep wanting to hear anything that's popular.

The public want what the public get.

I've just looked on events and I haven't got the wardrobe for it anyway.

Edited by db121
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!