This R&b Thing ?

Guest Dave Ward

Len

Does that apply to the other end of the spectrum as well?No 70t's & Modern played just mid to late 60t's only?

Cheers

Martyn

Oh no, no, no that's perfectly ok, 70's and Modern Soul is absolutely fine - It's that word 'Soul' you see, and I have to say in ref to post 304 (Labeat) 'R'n'B edged Northern' or as I call it 'Soulful R 'n' B' is also welcome at soul events - because it's soulful.

There is a difference between the two tunes I posted earlier - 'The Trends' and 'That other one' :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

6 pages on and I'm not sure the original poster (Dave Ward) ever came back after his first post.....

Apologies if I missed another post......otherwise looks like we've all been sucked in again? :lol:

PS Ray Agee is an. R&B record...end of chat

Usually, if I start a new thread/post, I'll come back and comment. In this case, it was a genuine question which I asked of people who know the current scene better than I do. It isn't a wind up. and I'm still going through the examples that have been quoted/posted. ok ?

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

Oh no, no, no that's perfectly ok, 70's and Modern Soul is absolutely fine - It's that word 'Soul' you see, and I have to say in ref to post 304 (Labeat) 'R'n'B edged Northern' or as I call it 'Soulful R 'n' B' is also welcome at soul events - because it's soulful.

There is a difference between the two tunes I posted earlier - 'The Trends' and 'That other one' :wink:

All the best,

Len

No disco then.........or just soulful disco :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Where I live "normal" people like to dance more r'n'b than northern soul which they do not understand if they aren't in the scene... so dj's try to come towards their public. I did it a bit buying those records I said above which I like and can still have a northern edge. I don't speak on behalf of everybody but some people have the opinion I stated

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Len

No disco then.........or just soulful disco :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

You got it! :wink: 

........Obviously all what I have written is just my opinion......that just happens to be correct :rofl: 

All the best,

P.s - Post Number 312 - Best post of the thread :wink: 

See ya tomorrow.......but surely that's it now...... :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What about ..slightly northern edged, very northern edged..sort of northern edged..a bit soulful,extremely soulful

Who's to judge people see things differently in the same record.

Sounds a bit like the Three Bears.(not a record BTW)...Most DJs would love to have Baby Bears porridge..just right!!

Keep Goldilocks satisfied

• Helpful 2
Social source share

After reading all this ......i consider myself lucky ...VERY..... lucky that i enjoy dancing to all of it wherever it gets played without worrying if it should be played at that particular point ! I don't remember going out and liking every record i heard in 1 night but if i like it i dance ....et voila ...a good night out !!!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest penny

Oh no, no, no that's perfectly ok, 70's and Modern Soul is absolutely fine - It's that word 'Soul' you see, and I have to say in ref to post 304 (Labeat) 'R'n'B edged Northern' or as I call it 'Soulful R 'n' B' is also welcome at soul events - because it's soulful.

All the best,

I reckon that if a reasonable person heard those two tracks - the trends and the five royales - and then read this, with you fervently insisting that they were different types of music, that one had 'soul' and the other didn't, and that one was brilliant but the other terrible...

they'd think you were barking mad.

I understand the difference between the two tracks, and that the parameters of your taste are somewhere between the two. I have the same thing -I love early r&b but then I'll hear something and just think 'no, too early', I love white music, but I'll hear something, sometimes just a middle 8 in a record, and think 'no, too white'!..

so I get hiw taste works, but these repetitive threads aren't about what I or you like, they're about general principles, not personal ones.

What you are doing is prescribing for others your personal taste.

On a related issue - You go on about soul in a sort of scientific lean so here's a question - there's bad soul records so can bad records have soul?

Edited by penny
Social source share

What about ..slightly northern edged, very northern edged..sort of northern edged..a bit soulful,extremely soulful

Sounds a bit like the Three Bears.(not a record BTW)...Most DJs would love to have Baby Bears porridge..just right!!

What about Modern RnB to apply to all black music currently produced and Rhythm 'n Blues for any sounds predating 60's Northern? What about calling Rhythm 'n Blues events Hoe Downs so Northern fans don't end up at the wrong venues.? What about advancing the frontiers of Northern Soul by uncovering late 60's soul sounds rather than falling back on soul-less late 50's and early 60's Blues with rhythm?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

After reading all this ......i consider myself lucky ...VERY..... lucky that i enjoy dancing to all of it wherever it gets played without worrying if it should be played at that particular point ! I don't remember going out and liking every record i heard in 1 night but if i like it i dance ....et voila ...a good night out !!!

And that's how it should be

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hiya Alison (Mrs Positive)  

To be clear here - My 'R 'n' B' Stinks' jibe was done 'tongue in cheek', although unfortunately some did take offence - which is incredible if you know me at all (I think some read it the way they wanted to actually)

I never did like the 'R 'n' B' stuff really, I thought I liked Jazz, but it was always Dom and his Soul stuff 'freshly outa The 100 Club' that really did it for me......just took me a while to work out 'what was what'  

My 'jibe' was done in reaction to going to venues and hearing the R'n' B that just didn't 'do it' for atmosphere - I found myself getting frustrated, and going outside......I have since seen that there is good R 'n' B, and bad R 'n' B - The ones who play the bad stuff let the ones that play the good stuff down badly because people end up writing it off completely (As I did)

That also goes for any genre - I'm well aware of the Beat Ballads that may stop people listening to lovely Mid-tempo Soul that should be played more (imho)....It's called 'Mid', not 'slow'......It's a matter of really seeing who's playing the good stuff and who ain't - as I said that goes for any genre.

I confess to have loved Latin Soul........I blame Mace and Dave Ingle for that, crumbs that was a long time ago mate, it was the 80's when you D.Jed for me  ........Rhythmm......Rithum......Ridum......Damn. damn, damn    

All the best,

Hiya Len

I'm only positive on here because everything else in my life is cr@p (that negative enough for you :D )

I never realised back then that you weren't taken with RnB, which is why I thought it strange you would mock it (in a tongue in cheek way) something I could never do, as I liked it (& still do) but now you've explained it, I'll shut the fxck up  :D

Yes, you are never gonna forget that, nor is my Mum after me trying to re-do the paint job on that black curtain in the garden and getting in a right old tizz!  

You are correct mate - As you can see below, although this being a later flyer, around that time I advertised all kinds of music, and even pushed 'a little bit of 70's' which was 'pushing it' for the type of event. Do you remember the uproar when I played 'Praying' at The Isle of White? - Thank god for Danny Huff, and The Ugly Bugglies for making up for everyone's scowls! ......I know Alison remembers that 

As we all should except, each to his own an' all that. But I do hate it when some become too precious about their choice - I get loads of stick for my 'poor taste', but I couldn't give a sh*t - It's my taste, and know lots are 'in my gang'......the ones with taste....... 

All the best,

...... other than to say ..... where the chuff is Danny Huff these days !!!!! (not so fussed about the Uglies  :D )   He was one hell of character !!!!  

Regards

Ali x 

P.S. I've had to take out some of your smilies, as it wouldn't let me post mine with all yours in it  :P

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Get your own frigging breakfast  :boxing:  :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So it looks like were all in agreement that RnB is shite and has no place in the Soul scene unless its soulful and only the odd one of a whole night.   If you want to jive there's another scene with teddy boys and greasy quiffs waiting to welcome you on board  :elvis:  :elvis:

Leaves more room for the funky stuff to be played  :thumbup:

ffs im only joking  :D

Social source share

I don't know how some of you can denigrate a whole genre of music.

You'd never catch me doing that, directly or indirectly.

Ha ha ha, that's got to be the funniest post I've read on here for quite a while.

Well done young man.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not posted for a while in this thread, but the very fact that we are arguing about this just goes to show how big the "Northern Soul" umbrella is. What everybody has to remember is that the term "Northern Soul" is just a made up phrase, used to cover a lot of different genres being listened to and danced to by youths in the north of England (how lucky were they tonite). As i have stated earlier "I hate pigeon holing records" and "If it sounds good play it". Personally i love some oldies , some rnb, some crossover and some newies BUT they are all Northern soul to me.Have all in my boxes to play at "Northern Soul" nites, so they must be Northern.

Social source share

I'm open to all sorts of black music to be played on the scene and really look forward to going out to northern soul events and being enlightened to r and b.I can't wait until these enlightened deejays open my mind to Bolivian nose flute soul.It's got all the earthy qualities needed.It's not like the early pan pipes sound which is far too earthy.When I go out I want to dance to it all under the northern soul Umbrella Pharrell,TopsyTurvey,Crass,funk edged soul,ska,early Charlie Parker style bebop,Cajun and Zydeco,UK preduced Library music oh and if there's time for a late sixties obscure soul record it would be appreciated.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I'm open to all sorts of black music to be played on the scene and really look forward to going out to northern soul events and being enlightened to r and b.I can't wait until these enlightened deejays open my mind to Bolivian nose flute soul.It's got all the earthy qualities needed.It's not like the early pan pipes sound which is far too earthy.When I go out I want to dance to it all under the northern soul Umbrella Pharrell,TopsyTurvey,Crass,funk edged soul,ska,early Charlie Parker style bebop,Cajun and Zydeco,UK preduced Library music oh and if there's time for a late sixties obscure soul record it would be appreciated.

Your sarcasm would probably be better received if you started the occasional new paragraph on a fresh line.

See how much easier that reads?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I cant believe this thread is still going on!..at the end of the day if I have to put up with modern,seventies and boring mid tempo dross WHEN I GO OUT..which is sod all like 'northern soul' as named by DG..and I do at some venues without complaining I just have a chat,buy a beer,look at some vinyl ...then surely a bit of rnb isn't the end of the precious wigan northern soul scene is it? ;-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The only people who want RnB are ex retro mods and youngsters ! If you didn't go too Wigan you should not comment on what you don't know

It's a thread about R&B played on the current scene...what has going to Wigan got to do with it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Toad most of the mods don't even understand that the mod scene carried on in the mid seventies.The same ethos new black music and scooters.The 1964 look and the suedehead look was dropped because that was retro...The scooter was a Gp..New!! and the music was uptempo northern.It was only in 79 with the southern revival that the sixties mod look came back.It is funny how when other scenes implode ie the deep funk scene the deejays jump over.James Trouble for one and a host of ex mod deejays bring the funk,r and b and Latin.Great music....but keep the scenes separate.Apologies for no paragraphs I'm tapping this on a train.

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Toad most of the mods don't even understand that the mod scene carried on in the mid seventies.The same ethos new black music and scooters.The 1964 look and the suedehead look was dropped because that was retro...The scooter was a Gp..New!! and the music was uptempo northern.It was only in 79 with the southern revival that the sixties mod look came back.It is funny how when other scenes implode ie the deep funk scene the deejays jump over.James Trouble for one and a host of ex mod deejays bring the funk,r and b and Latin.Great music....but keep the scenes separate.Apologies for no paragraphs I'm tapping this on a train.

I was frequenting Northern events alongside Mod events during the mid 80s....as were most other mods of that era. We were as inspired with Northern as we were with Latin and R&B.

Lots of R&B played on the mod scene was introduced to us via the Northern Scene....we knew the DJs, dealers and collectors had the obscure stuff we were looking for.

I bought the likes of Jimmie Preacher Ellie on Jewel off Butch around this time, and was constantly sourcing records of Northern dealers such as Minshull, Blondie etc during this period.

To pretend the music wasn't evident in the scene back then is complete bollox.

Wasn't it Minshull that first played Sonny Boy Williamson 'Help me' on the Northern Scene at the original Keele Allnighters.

If you're gonna keep make such sweeping statements I'd get your facts straight first!

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

No post numbers on a mobile version of SS so that means nowt to me sorry Pete!

"then surely a bit of rnb isn't the end of the precious wigan northern soul scene is it? ;-)"

cut and paste of the tongue in cheek quote that Toad is referring to

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The only people who want RnB are ex retro mods and youngsters ! If you didn't go too Wigan you should not comment on what you don't know

LOL :) ..well I know plenty who want rnb who were never mods and certainly are not young!

as for not being able to comment about wigan cos I wont know....you were in your teens and twenties getting bolloxed and dancing all night to brilliant music..although we now know some was shit :wink: ...er..been there, done that.. might not have been wigan,not always soul but trust me the same buzz..i understand alright

obviously I wish I was old enuff to have gone..i would have loved it! but honestly part of me is glad I didn't..theres enough people trying to relive it every weekend

yes a bit provocative pete but the reason I mentioned it was because in this thread it seems rnb that was played back in the day is northern

ive had conversations on here ,FB and out most weekends where SOME people of that age also don't wanna hear funky edged but then go and dance to world column or ohio players..which is...er funky edged soul..BUT was also a northern oldie..that was my point

Edited by spacehopper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, undoubtably some stuff has been played that pushed the limits on what is acceptable to the UK soul scene....but this is no different to the extreme dross that has been played from every other genre in the pursuit of playing something different.

R&B on the whole is very cool club music, but generally frowned upon by those who wish to play dreary Luther Vandross records or applaud the efforts of Pharrell Wotshisname in an effort to think that they are still cool despite losing most of their hair and teeth 10 years ago.

Charles Sheffield fills oldies dancefloors as much as any Wigan Oldie and probably moreso than any Shrine Trophy piece......Rock'n'Roll.....FFS

As for Northern Soul events back then, 1985 was undoubtably a more enjoyable time scenewise than 2014....not as many pidgeon holes to segregate this wonderful diverse range of soul music that we go out to celebrate each and every week....

Enjoy what ticks your boxes, take no notice of derogatory comments from the blinkered moaners and groaners that usually fester from behind keyboards every Saturday night instead of actually experiencing what is rocking the dancefloors at a variety of clubs nationwide nowadays....

Simples.

well said Mace

Social source share