Northern Soul On The One Show Next Wednesday The 26Th

spot on mr. mccabe The One Show....or as they will be known next week if it ain't right......T.O.S.SERS! :rolleyes:  :facepalm:  :dash2:

Exactly cant understand why anyone would risk being involved,and leavin there selves open to ridicule.Yet to see any tv prog that isn't a disaster for the scene,or remotely shows the scene most of us know.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

On a positive and humorous note though, isn't this the type of thing that may:

1) Help Elaine Constantine and the investors of the film she is producing gather interest and ultimately make money, that may help pay royalties to some of the owners of tracks used in the film (and song writers)? Proceeds coming from the cinema/TV rights and CD (?) income? Maybe encourage them to press up legal 7" vinyl?

2) Create a buzz that could, further down the line, encourage live performances of old soul songs by original artists who thought they had been forgotten about? They may even come over here to perform.

3) Help lift the profile of certain songs for a legal cover version that may earn the song writers a royalty from mechanicals that they never got from the 300 7" vinyls pressed in 1967 that were condemned to a skip in New York and shipped over here for eventual sale in markets, fairs and tat shops? Plus, airplay on world wide radio stations?

4) Create an interest from new, old and young soul fans who maybe do not know much about this scenario, but get curious and want to know more, go to dance events, start collecting vinyl etc? Couldn't this make the 2nd hand vinyl market interesting for collectors who rely on sales for their income?

5) Create a very healthy country wide dance scene where the really underground stuff can remain there, but the more poppy material gets exploited, but hooking new listeners to the rarer scene in the process.

6) Encourage me to invest in another Detroit session and write new songs and be creative again.....?

I can't imagine the ridicule some of those people who either wrote, produced or sang back in the 1960's got from their friends and family whilst trying to pursue their interests or dreams. I certainly got it from those around me that thought I was a joke wanting to be a writer or going to the US to produce with my heroes! But I did it. My point is I guess, the more negativity there is about this, the better..because human nature says take the piss...and somebody somewhere will up the game to compete..and that's what I think this music is all about. So for me, if this programme triggers just one more fan of the music....all is good! But, the more the merrier...and if it means a little stick here and there, but it makes you smile I'm 'happy'! See you on the dance floor ...........

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Promises to be a hoot. Watching 'good' dancers jump through a few hoops to titillate the masses is so cringeworthy, it beggars belief that genuine soulies would open themselves to inevitable ridicule. Dancing takes place in dance halls, clubs and function rooms not kebab shops, street corners and TV studios. Hope that Salford's Modest Few have got their outfits ready (no trainers or handbags please) and plenty of talc to really impress the viewers with those cunning stunts. As for the sound track, stand by for Frank Wilson, Al Wilson, Bob Wilson and Marvin Gaye...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Attention seekers and media whores - love it: you bet! That's what dancing is all about!

If I get the chance, I'll be dancing for my old school chum Andy Newbold who passed away recently. His funeral was the Monday after Prestatyn where I was kicked out of the dance competition incidentally. He was a massive Northern Soul fan and fabulous dancer. His coffin was covered with soul record labels and the 'Keep the Faith' motif. Very emotional stuff. First time I have ever seen people walk up to a coffin like this and put their hands on it whilst we examined the record labels. Then we started to sing the songs we recognised, many played at Prestatyn. So, for him I entered the Prestatyn dance competition too. 

So, thinking out the box, it isn't just about me, or him...it's being respectful to all those I knew over the years who sadly moved on and cannot dance anymore, they cannot be cringeworthy, can't sell their soul, show off, be part of the developing soul scene, be ridiculed or even grow old. They cannot talk about the time they picked up a record on Bronco called 'This thing called love' by Johnny Wyatt in 1974 for just 10p from the Hull Fair. But I can and will.....and if it is with young soul fans or old, it will be the same story....and proof that the music has never left me. The conviction I have with it has never died...it will be there until my coffin is decorated with record labels........and I will dance in the coffin if I can!

So, if I get the chance, I'll dance my heart out for those I cared about and take the risk, because they are worth it. I'll dance anywhere I see fit.....because it's worth it. In fact, if I could 'beam up' to some of you as individuals, I would dance for you personally, just to see your cynical faces...because it would be worth it....and because you would probably smile (or maybe things are that bad you wouldn't!).

I think some of you need to go and put 'That beating rhythm' on as a reminder what this music does to us and start again. It's about dancing, dancing anywhere...You should be encouraging this type of thing. You do not need to forgive me for sounding facetious, that's because I am. And I am sure when I log on again there will be more interesting constructive comments about this to get my teeth into.....I look forward to it and it will be worth it!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Ha OCS eh! those were the days alright. I dj'd for many of the bands at the time (mid 9ts) but i can tell ya now....i never appeared in a video dancing :) . Keb did a few bits alright and anyway many dancers are exhibitionists and love the limelight :yes: . Maybe they should play "Trade my soul to the devil" in the background of the One Show. I hear one of the dancers is going to coach Dermot o leary so he can show our scene as a joke, can you imagine the p*ss taking. Some people have become the entertainers for the general public to laugh at and the rest of us to cringe.

Greg 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

What n you reckon there wont be any dancers apply ha ! 

Russ

no there won,t  Russ.............just people who think they can dance...............all from Berkley

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Why indeed Tony. It's like the youngsters now all want "to be famous" and deserted churches are suddenly standing room only when Songs of Praise turn up.

Yep........now they can save some dosh by bypassing the dj route and go straight to the  beeb......so instead of being famous for being a crap dj......they'll be famous for being an embarresment on T.V.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

People already take the P**s, and have done since the dawn of time...all the aspects of any anarak are humerous. The train spotters on Doncaster station always raise a chuckle with me when I go up to Hull to show off on the dance floor, but...they have a passion and so be it. There is always somebody prepared to find fault, that's why there are so many critics about. I think it is just as much fun reading some of these comments as it is dancing. Sh**, I have fallen into the trap!

ps - I am waiting for the re group and ready...all on my own.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Hi All,

The One Show contacted me a couple of days ago wanting to film at tonight's Buxton Octagon Monster Northern Soul Night.

I declined.

Cheers   Phil

Social source share

Hi All,

The One Show contacted me a couple of days ago wanting to film at tonight's Buxton Octagon Monster Northern Soul Night.

I declined.

Cheers   Phil

Have been approached a few times at various venues middleton at least 3 times regardeing tv filming but always refused,just cant see how anyone thinks its a good thing.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Exactly cant understand why anyone would risk being involved,and leavin there selves open to ridicule.Yet to see any tv prog that isn't a disaster for the scene,or remotely shows the scene most of us know.

Don,t know about leaving themselves open to ridicule...........you seen how some of em dress..........they must be used to ridicule.......wheres that fella   jasper lol :lol:

Social source share

Ha OCS eh! those were the days alright. I dj'd for many of the bands at the time (mid 9ts) but i can tell ya now....i never appeared in a video dancing :) . Keb did a few bits alright and anyway many dancers are exhibitionists and love the limelight :yes: . Maybe they should play "Trade my soul to the devil" in the background of the One Show. I hear one of the dancers is going to coach Dermot o leary so he can show our scene as a joke, can you imagine the p*ss taking. Some people have become the entertainers for the general public to laugh at and the rest of us to cringe.

Greg 

Well to be fair to Dermot, when that lot were on the Paul O'Grady show, he did actually try to pick up the dance moves and not take the piss.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Catherine Dundon

Normally I go to brighouse.. will not be going tonight...  Bet one of the best dancer/spinner little simmo wont be either..

Social source share

Andy I don't have a problem with the young uns going and no they won't be there next month

However there will be plenty of the older ones who have changed their plans to try and get 2 minutes of fame

We sometimes go on a Friday and it gets busy, you just know it's goanna be rammed tonight

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Attention seekers and media whores - love it: you bet! That's what dancing is all about!

If I get the chance, I'll be dancing for my old school chum Andy Newbold who passed away recently. His funeral was the Monday after Prestatyn where I was kicked out of the dance competition incidentally. He was a massive Northern Soul fan and fabulous dancer. His coffin was covered with soul record labels and the 'Keep the Faith' motif. Very emotional stuff. First time I have ever seen people walk up to a coffin like this and put their hands on it whilst we examined the record labels. Then we started to sing the songs we recognised, many played at Prestatyn. So, for him I entered the Prestatyn dance competition too. 

So, thinking out the box, it isn't just about me, or him...it's being respectful to all those I knew over the years who sadly moved on and cannot dance anymore, they cannot be cringeworthy, can't sell their soul, show off, be part of the developing soul scene, be ridiculed or even grow old. They cannot talk about the time they picked up a record on Bronco called 'This thing called love' by Johnny Wyatt in 1974 for just 10p from the Hull Fair. But I can and will.....and if it is with young soul fans or old, it will be the same story....and proof that the music has never left me. The conviction I have with it has never died...it will be there until my coffin is decorated with record labels........and I will dance in the coffin if I can!

So, if I get the chance, I'll dance my heart out for those I cared about and take the risk, because they are worth it. I'll dance anywhere I see fit.....because it's worth it. In fact, if I could 'beam up' to some of you as individuals, I would dance for you personally, just to see your cynical faces...because it would be worth it....and because you would probably smile (or maybe things are that bad you wouldn't!).

I think some of you need to go and put 'That beating rhythm' on as a reminder what this music does to us and start again. It's about dancing, dancing anywhere...You should be encouraging this type of thing. You do not need to forgive me for sounding facetious, that's because I am. And I am sure when I log on again there will be more interesting constructive comments about this to get my teeth into.....I look forward to it and it will be worth it!

A very moving justification but this underground scene of ours belongs underground - if we are a truly soulful clan, then we keep the faith out of the public glare: soulies' weddings, funerals, birthdays, anniversaries etc count as underground, but a BBC studio is the court of public embarrassment.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was in Blackpool today went to the only record shop there...so I am lead to believe.

Inside was the local record nutter pulling out LP's and telling the owner (a mature woman with long grey hair) all about his instant good finds....Rod Stewart...etc...."before anyone knew him..." but it is an LP????!!!!

After making my excuses and leaving I noticed that there were posters in the window for events that had occurred and in the future run by Manship, Searling and amongst the pap....featuring The Wigan Young Souls " as seen on the Culture Show"....or some such drivel.

The end is nigh!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

A very moving justification but this underground scene of ours belongs underground - if we are a truly soulful clan, then we keep the faith out of the public glare: soulies' weddings, funerals, birthdays, anniversaries etc count as underground, but a BBC studio is the court of public embarrassment.

Yes, I guess I do appreciate some of these elements and often wonder how I would feel if things were different, or I was still a record collector. On the one hand even I love that rare bottle of wine notion and don't want Joe Public getting their hands on it, because they wouldn't appreciate it. On the other hand with the music, I see interesting scenarios that add credence to the music because I write and am creative. I suppose the last thing I want is to write, create and release something to be 'rare'. I would want people to enjoy it no matter where they are. Horses for courses, but I hear you.

I go to the Teddington Soulnites events and its all records and there is a buzz. The place gets full and everybody has a great time. I love to see the faces of people who have never heard the records before and watch them witness those who know the songs express themselves (pardon the expression) when they dance. It joins the dots to me and makes the music fulfilling. I guess we are all different..and that is what drives us.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

I'm in a quandary..... I don't want my music to be ubiquitous and diluted, maybe even ridiculed by becoming part of the mainstream....but...I want people to hear how fantastic this music is.

So, like all the other times northern soul has been on the telly, I'll watch it with trepidation...you never know - maybe they'll get it right this time. If they've got  good researchers and a sympathetic producer...... BTW I thought the culture show coverage wasn't that bad (except for the Notts couple).

I guess even if they do the clunkingly obvious and play Do I Love You - it IS a great record - imagine you've never heard it before....

First to post it as a topic at 7.30 on Wednesday will get a hot one!

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I'm in a quandary..... I don't want my music to be ubiquitous and diluted, maybe even ridiculed by becoming part of the mainstream....but...I want people to hear how fantastic this music is.

So, like all the other times northern soul has been on the telly, I'll watch it with trepidation...you never know - maybe they'll get it right this time. If they've got  good researchers and a sympathetic producer...... BTW I thought the culture show coverage wasn't that bad (except for the Notts couple).

I guess even if they do the clunkingly obvious and play Do I Love You - it IS a great record - imagine you've never heard it before....

You nailed it. I don't think they will ever get it right on the telly. They have major timing issues on live programmes and with all the best research in the world, things get changed, deleted from the script and it becomes mess. I work in TV and have seen it happen. Sometimes I wish things were just the way they were when I was 18....everything was new and waiting to be discovered. A fabulous journey ahead....and I ended up in a studio in Detroit in 2008 and before David Van De Pitte counted the musicians off for 'Suddenly there's you', I asked him if I could address them. So I did. I thanked them and their colleagues no longer with us for the music and their interpretation of it, that helped move us emotionally on the dance floor when we were just hitting the clubs in the early 1970's. 

I think all the elements of this scene by definition make it an ever changing jig saw. I focus on the song writing, dancing and wanting exposure to guarantee that in later years we will either still hear this stuff and witness up and coming soul fans enjoying it or even have new recordings with up and coming artists who can perform as soulfully. Others dwell on the rarity of a record and whether it is still a collectable etc, which is important to them. I probably have collectables as I bought loads of imports back in the day. My sabbatical starts tomorrow night and for a laugh I have offered my services to spin a few records if anybody wants me...because even I respect the format and what it has done for the music. Without this scene we are doomed no matter what the politics are. But the most important thing is, the music is great and if it makes me want to dance...even better.

Social source share

view with trepidation...it'll be over in a flash, 5 or 10 minutes....whatever, it's a "short"...damage limitation at a bare minimum...not even time to breath or build up a head of steam between your ears ( who put matt baker in the pics?...it's ALLWRIGHT if i'm not mistaken...hope he didn't think graham was a rogue trader? :lol: ) fortunately no dustbin, no tank tops, no cuban heels, no wig...nice pie from hebden bridge though  :thumbsup: .....oh, and as an aside to the actual subject matter, PETE & SUE are two top soulies and there's nothing wrong with notts folk.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Simon..good luck! Might see you there lol! Make sure the the tracks are no more than 126bpm as it might kill anybody over 50 ha ha. And yes, it will be over in a flash and will probably look a mess. If this makes people chuckle, fans or not, fine. You could always watch News 24 and ponder the truth!

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I would just like to say, from an emotional point of view, I am on my 4th day of working on the desk at Sky News MCR. A very stressful environment. My first day was dealing with the budget,plus constant Ukraine, Russia, missing plane stories etc. Tomorrow, it will be the same. My last day before my sabattical. The first thing I have done when I walked in my home was put the CD player on and danced! It's the feel good tonic I need to survive. Richard Temple, The Fascinations, The Five Stairsteps, Bob and Earl, Showstoppers, Jimmy Ruffin. I just burnt off 500 calories and feel great. I know they are not rare..and I guess pop music to some, but 'nevertheless'...just what I needed.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

What happened to So#@ty.Wasn't the mystique of this music that you had to go and find it..and that it didn't come to you.There seems to be quite a few zealots who think that it will disintegrate if we don't encourage 12 year old in their dad's clothing from Jan 11 th 1976 to take it over.The real cool kids are forging their own unique take on it collecting rare original records and have their own smart clothing style.Meanwhile the kids that are lauded in the UK are copying a style from the seventies.Just like Mud and Showaddywaddy were a grotesque parody of the fifties.

The best tv pieces were Morecambe...proper deejays John Vincent and Searling talking about the music...Bobby Herb You Want To Change Me.I Still Remember The Feeling...Whistle Test...Ady about finding records...Magic Touch etc.These people should be contacting Mick H,John Poole,Ted Massey and some of the proper young deejays Pogson,Maslin or even for a European slant Marc Forest or Matt Fox.

post-18577-0-65192900-1395567077_thumb.j

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Stevie..don't think that you read my post properly...that is exactly what I was saying..there are sussed,smart young kids doing it in their own way without having to dress up in seventies bags..who are passionate about collecting and deejaying new discoveries in their own way.The saviours are not the kids dressing up.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

So another sweeping statement from Wiggy, there are many of these so called kids, doing it in different ways, just the way we did along the way.. I know many of these so called younger folk who ain't like what you say, you maybe need to look outside your bubble....

Spot on Wigan Young Souls @ Highfield Soul Club and Black Bee Soul Club are 2 clubs promoted by the younger generation, whilst they are 2 good clubs they are like chalk n cheese

There are some great young folk at both venues, visit them and some people may change their opinions

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stan Ogden met Hilda at the Wheel in his vest;

Giving your age away now scal.... Its all art and as with art we all like different things.. Some would like an underground 60s mod style while others would dance with 50 year old men in tight vests outside specsaver in a Wigan shopping centre, I know what I want, ha ha.. Things like the one show are shopping centres to me, a place I would rather avoid.. I am sure we will see the results soon enough.... Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Stan Ogden met Hilda at the Wheel in his vest;

Now Scal that was a vest of immense National importance & stains, it was in more episodes than Dennis Tanner. :thumbsup: 

Spot. :shades:  

p.s. Stevie what does the song say, "Art for Arts sake, Money for Gods sake,Money talks so listen to it". Switch Money with Fame or Fashion & you've got most of the new influx. :hatsoff2:  :shhh: 

Edited by spot
Social source share

What's all the fuss about. If you don't agree with it don't watch it. If you do what's the problem. I didn't go the casino when they filmed this England because I didn't want normal people seeing me off my head on gear. I wish I had done now because it's a classic piece of our scene with loads of memories of how we used to be plus footage of some good friends no longer alive. I will be watching with a totally open mind. And wish all the young souls good luck. Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

...oh, and as an aside to the actual subject matter, PETE & SUE are two top soulies and there's nothing wrong with notts folk.

Spot on Smithers. Pete and Sue are beyond criticism. Paul Mason was the guilty culprit, a media whore without a foot to dance on. Now we have another media nobody trying to drag Northern Soul into the open where it does not belong. Shame on any show-offs for even contemplating this prat-fest. Once upon a time, the BBC was a fine institution - now it has become a lazy, corrupt, self-serving shambles not worth the license fee. Do the dancers have the conscience to boycott the One Show - I would like to believe so but I very much doubt it?

Social source share

Spot on Smithers. Pete and Sue are beyond criticism. Paul Mason was the guilty culprit, a media whore without a foot to dance on. Now we have another media nobody trying to drag Northern Soul into the open where it does not belong. Shame on any show-offs for even contemplating this prat-fest. Once upon a time, the BBC was a fine institution - now it has become a lazy, corrupt, self-serving shambles not worth the license fee. Do the dancers have the conscience to boycott the One Show - I would like to believe so but I very much doubt it?

Yep, sorry about my original comment on 'the notts couple' - I don't know them so was being unfair... they're contributing a damn site more to the scene than I am sat here on the sofa. :unsure:

• Helpful 2
Social source share