What The Hell Is Happening?

here's my stance, i have always believed that when you dance it comes from your heart and soul whatever dancing your in to, and in that respect feel the music and just do what you want/feel wether that be just swaying from side to side or 18 back drops,splits etc (not just for the look at me factor). i also believe that you should show a little respect to those who went before you as i did through out my scootering and soul life. with regards to fiona and the dvd i asked her what was the aim of the dvd and she said that it was done just to give those who really dont have the confidence to get on the floor a few basic steps. with regards to making money i dont think anyone making a "how to dance northern dvd" is ever going to get rich( lucky to break even) because the majority do go out there and just do their own thing which is great. (just mind my toes please! :D).

remember its not their soul, its not your soul its RSOUL :P     

Social source share

Guest penny

Northern Soul dancing is not sacred. It doesn't require acolytes to be initiated into the elite secrets of 'the scene'. It's a dance. It provides pleasure. That's all

e.

You make a contradiction there. If acolytes dont need to learn the 'elite secrets of the scene' then why learn 'the northern soul dance', as if there's a 'right' way to dance to northern soul. Why not just learn to dance - like the old disco dancing style ?

as in all areas of life, shit things still have standards and rules, they're just shit ones.

]

Social source share

:lol: :lol:  douglas, on 04 Apr 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:

'World NS Dancing Competition' just nobody told all the other nations in the world.

Ha ha so one of those was the Northern Soul world dance champion ? Really ? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:            

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest ukyclub

I know most of think it comes from the heart and you just eventually move along to the music but there was a time when you - yes, you - had never danced before in public and that was a big step to make, I remember I practiced for months in front of a mirror before I first danced, fortunately I turned out to be pretty good at it and I got confident very quickly.  Nerdy kids at our school even danced to things like "Get Out" and "Under My Thumb", it really got them out of their shells.  Then you've got some who really want to do it but are just petrified, and no amount of people saying 'just do what you feel' will give them the confidence.

So in that sense, I don't have any complaints about people being taught how to dance.  yes, it all looks a bit awkward but so what, nobody's been hurt and maybe a few people will have gained the confidence to dance in public after these lessons when they wouldn't have before.

p.s.

If I can find my dancing lesson post I'll post it up because it's quite funny.  The time I tought someone to dance..see below

In 1995 when I lived in St leonards On Sea, I got this phone call from this guy in London who said he'd been given my name by a mutual friend and that I might be able to show him a few basic Northern Soul dance moves, so obviously I said you've got to be f*cking joking to which he said "I'll Pay You", so as I was unemployed I reluctantly agreed to take his money and I'd show him the basic Northern Soul dances. 

So he drives down from London one night midweek and despite my embarassment, I spent half an hour teaching him how to shuffle from side to side and by the end of the session he'd just about got it.  All this was interspersed with my downstairs neighbour Nancy keep ringing me and saying "You Dancing?" to which I have to reply "You Asking"....

anyway we finished the 'lesson' and I said you mentioned payment, and he says oh yes of course, thanks ever so much, I've really enjoyed it, I'll just go and get the money, so I watched him from the landing go down the stairs, out of the door, into his car and off down the street at about 60 miles an hour, leaving me hot, sweaty, embarrassed and ripped off - if he's on here, you owe me £20 you b*stard.

Social source share

Guest ukyclub

can you teach it pete or is it just a case of watching and learning/copying your peers then develop your own style. if you look a prat but feel great so what.

never been a fan of competitions....competition aint nothing...

Social source share

if dancing "comes from the heart" or whatever, and people are allowed to dance however they feel the music, you probably shouldn't be at the same time be making fun of people who are dancing however they feel like in videos

Just an observation, but how are you dancing 'how you like' if you've been taught? You're surely dancing how someone else (your teacher) likes
Social source share

Guest Mrs M

It's all about ego and wanting to be in some kind of Northern Soul Hall of Fame. Luckily the majority of these 'fame seekers' think that the records that sit in the 'pure class' league are shit and have no desire to mix amongst us. They think that some 6ft 5in, built like a brick shit house, geezer type guy is just some nobody, resident 100 Club doorman called Butch cos he's well 'Butch', Rod Shard is some arty farty architect who designed The Shard but wasn't talented enough to design The Gherkin, Dave Withers is the adopted brother of Bill Withers and is famous for his rendition of Lovely Day on Karaoke at the local Mo's speak easy with his pal Guy Hennigan, famous for his Michigan Move, naked wearing just his High School letterman sweater.. And Martin Barnfather is some teenage extra from Shaft who used the alias Soul Sam to wind Isaac Hayes up so much he became a cartoon chef with chocolate salty balls bringing so much shame to the neighbourhood his album was reproduced and renamed Hot Buttered Soul Sam. However that Dave Molloy is well in favour after being beaten my his 'Big Momma' of a wife so badly he is still in a coma, all because he bought her the Learn to Dance Northern Soul dvd to keep fit and lose weight and she thought he was mocking her when he said her arse looked a tad big in her brand new circle skirt. The office of fair trading are still trying to determine if the Spinning Soul Girl Boutique im Wigan's Grand Arcade have illegally been selling size 22 as a size 14. Watch this space for the latest bib and brace... I'm not guilty your honour, the evidence speaks for itself, the man is a Soul Twat'...

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

Just an observation, but how are you dancing 'how you like' if you've been taught? You're surely dancing how someone else (your teacher) likes

making the inverse argument doesn't address my argument about the hypocrisy of some people's attitudes.

additionally to address your argument, there is not really a blank slate as to how you're supposed to dance where "your heart" somehow leads you. there is a set of basic expectations of northern soul dancing -- whether you learn it from a class or emulate other people you see on the floor, nobody came into the room and just did whatever they wanted. in college i knew this goth dude who would go to any event and just writhe on the floor (really). i'm sure he was dancing from his heart and he definitely didn't take lessons. i doubt he would remain unjudged by even the most open minded people at your event.

finally, i totally don't care and can't believe i already wrote this much in this thread. i do understand the protectiveness of something you feel is important and is being exploited but the level of hatred toward this woman's mostly harmless lessons is silly, and i bet that there are some people on here who wish they could get some basic instruction to get the confidence to get on the floor without being laughed at.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Mrs M

I can't understand why people can't understand that the scene from the 60s and 70s has gone never to be again.the wonderful nights and days,the meeting up,the exiting apprehension of what was to be played,who was gonna be there,where we were going next,will never be again! NS lost its soul a long time ago.best of CDs ,crap films.(soul boy was shite).big event nights like kings hall nighter where legendary (ahem) DJs do nights where giggling girls in high heels holding glasses with straws in dance in a circle while on a hen night.wigan young souls who think they own the scene cos they appear in the new film.how to dance CDs are just another nail in the coffin of the scene but that's just the way it is and its unchangeable.just remember ( over50s elite) how wonderful it was and under50s remember YOU WERNT THERE!!! Put my slippers on on Friday and Saturday nights wishin they were my brogues.lie in bed wishing it was a train station bench,head on pillow wishing it was my bag,take my vitamins wishing they were bombers but the glow in my heart will always be there unlike the plastics!!

On the back of what you say, yes those days are gone and everything going on right now is unchangeable. However, I don't accept over 50's Elite and under 50's you weren't there. Weren't where exactly? The soul scene continued to flourish and progress throughout the 8t's and the 9t's with many loyally in attendance who are still waiting to hit 50. Does this mean that unless you attended certain venues then you don't make the grade?

I'm 46, came on to the soul scene im 1987 but have given 27 loyal years. I remember the late Pete Lawson being passionate about the importance of 'new blood' so the Northern Soul scene would survive and continue to progress. 'We' also became an integral devotee, fortunate enough to be educated and mentored by some of the most knowledgeable true soul men. I also know we gave respect and in return were respected back. To labour the point you could argue that the elders who attended The Wheel are the actual elite cos if you are under the age of 59 then you also wasn't there?

I'm gutted I missed out on Wigan, Stafford, Yate etc but I'm also thankful that I still got to be a part of many great years filled with magic people and fantastic new discoveries.

I hope this doesn't come across as arrogance, it's not intended, I just wanted to speak up for us younger folks

Social source share

I can't understand why people can't understand that the scene from the 60s and 70s has gone never to be again.the wonderful nights and days,the meeting up,the exiting apprehension of what was to be played,who was gonna be there,where we were going next,will never be again! NS lost its soul a long time ago.best of CDs ,crap films.(soul boy was shite).big event nights like kings hall nighter where legendary (ahem) DJs do nights where giggling girls in high heels holding glasses with straws in dance in a circle while on a hen night.wigan young souls who think they own the scene cos they appear in the new film.how to dance CDs are just another nail in the coffin of the scene but that's just the way it is and its unchangeable.just remember ( over50s elite) how wonderful it was and under50s remember YOU WERNT THERE!!! Put my slippers on on Friday and Saturday nights wishin they were my brogues.lie in bed wishing it was a train station bench,head on pillow wishing it was my bag,take my vitamins wishing they were bombers but the glow in my heart will always be there unlike the plastics!!

Frame this one! 

Social source share

True but you don't have to like it or accept what its turned into

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On the back of what you say, yes those days are gone and everything going on right now is unchangeable. However, I don't accept over 50's Elite and under 50's you weren't there. Weren't where exactly? The soul scene continued to flourish and progress throughout the 8t's and the 9t's with many loyally in attendance who are still waiting to hit 50. Does this mean that unless you attended certain venues then you don't make the grade?

I'm 46, came on to the soul scene im 1987 but have given 27 loyal years. I remember the late Pete Lawson being passionate about the importance of 'new blood' so the Northern Soul scene would survive and continue to progress. 'We' also became an integral devotee, fortunate enough to be educated and mentored by some of the most knowledgeable true soul men. I also know we gave respect and in return were respected back. To labour the point you could argue that the elders who attended The Wheel are the actual elite cos if you are under the age of 59 then you also wasn't there?

I'm gutted I missed out on Wigan, Stafford, Yate etc but I'm also thankful that I still got to be a part of many great years filled with magic people and fantastic new discoveries.

I hope this doesn't come across as arrogance, it's not intended, I just wanted to speak up for us younger folks

Social source share

the quote elite50s was aimed at a earlier sarcastic post !i dont care from what decade people found , listened or fell in love with northern or rare soul

not enough from 80s or 90s in my opinion to keep it going for the future.no offence meant.but to those who come onto the northern or rare soul scene and think that the new happy i, s a soul classic, kings hall is the best ever all nighter .that the winnerat blackpool really is the ns dancing world champion and that you can be taught to dance by a six year veteran o a dvd i repeat dot tell me what its all about YOU WERNT THERE!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This was very unfortunate. The Chinese NS dancing team were denied admission to the country at Heathrow because they didn't have the correct visas. The Russians fielded an ineligible dancer and the team was disqualified. The Australians failed a drug test. The Irish NS dancing teams ferry was 4 hours late because three of the four engines on the fast ferry weren't working. The Americans tour guide sent them to Blackrood rather than Blackpool. There was engineering works on the WCML that weekend which meant that the Europeans missed the event, finally arriving at Blackpool on Sunday evening after a 14 hour train journey via Newcastle and Edinburgh. So the "Brits" ended up having a clean sweep in the competition. Welcome to Britain, better luck next time other nations :thumbsup:

The Imber Village bus broke down just outside of Swindon.

Social source share

When many of us first got into Northern Soul we just didn't get on the floor and "Do what we felt to the music", we thought that out of respect we'd learn a 'Northern Soul dance'. You really don't need any lessons to construct a basic 2-step Northern type dance, so there really is no excuse to dance like your Dad no matter how much your 'Feeling the Music'.

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

More NORTHERN dancing !!!!

Never ever ..................

Let me see anyone doing this again at a NORTHERN SOUL event - KIN OUTRAGEOUS  :dash2:

Following on from the N-ONE SHOW - Despite my age - I will be entering the .........................

-    WORLD "NORTHERN SOUL " DANCE CHAMPIONSHIP  -  :boxing:

Not had a badge since I passed my cycling proficiency @ school   :rolleyes: after witnessing the "Shambles" -

Thinking I could win it ! :facepalm:

2nd video ( below ) "Ritz"  - You know who you are  :wave:  BEHAVE !   :no:

Edited by ninja
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I know most of think it comes from the heart and you just eventually move along to the music but there was a time when you - yes, you - had never danced before in public and that was a big step to make, I remember I practiced for months in front of a mirror before I first danced, fortunately I turned out to be pretty good at it and I got confident very quickly.  Nerdy kids at our school even danced to things like "Get Out" and "Under My Thumb", it really got them out of their shells.  Then you've got some who really want to do it but are just petrified, and no amount of people saying 'just do what you feel' will give them the confidence.

So in that sense, I don't have any complaints about people being taught how to dance.  yes, it all looks a bit awkward but so what, nobody's been hurt and maybe a few people will have gained the confidence to dance in public after these lessons when they wouldn't have before.

p.s.

If I can find my dancing lesson post I'll post it up because it's quite funny.  The time I tought someone to dance..see below

In 1995 when I lived in St leonards On Sea, I got this phone call from this guy in London who said he'd been given my name by a mutual friend and that I might be able to show him a few basic Northern Soul dance moves, so obviously I said you've got to be f*cking joking to which he said "I'll Pay You", so as I was unemployed I reluctantly agreed to take his money and I'd show him the basic Northern Soul dances. 

So he drives down from London one night midweek and despite my embarassment, I spent half an hour teaching him how to shuffle from side to side and by the end of the session he'd just about got it.  All this was interspersed with my downstairs neighbour Nancy keep ringing me and saying "You Dancing?" to which I have to reply "You Asking"....

anyway we finished the 'lesson' and I said you mentioned payment, and he says oh yes of course, thanks ever so much, I've really enjoyed it, I'll just go and get the money, so I watched him from the landing go down the stairs, out of the door, into his car and off down the street at about 60 miles an hour, leaving me hot, sweaty, embarrassed and ripped off - if he's on here, you owe me £20 you b*stard.

Never having been a fantastic dancer myself I never criticise anyone who gets out there and dances to records they love - But I've watched this girl on several occasions at various venues recently and have to agree with Ian - who told her she was a good dancer? How did she win a dancing competition at a big weekender - doesn't say much for the other competitors! I've seen her with one of her pupils at a soul night, giving him tips as the evening went on! I felt myself wanting to stand and shake my head everytime I looked - unbelievable!

Every Friday - I look in in disappointment when this happens !! - Strictly @ a Northern soul event - Nightmare !

Must be some more clients for some lessons in the above crowd ???

Edited by ninja
Social source share

Guest Mrs M

the quote elite50s was aimed at a earlier sarcastic post !i dont care from what decade people found , listened or fell in love with northern or rare soul

not enough from 80s or 90s in my opinion to keep it going for the future.no offence meant.but to those who come onto the northern or rare soul scene and think that the new happy i, s a soul classic, kings hall is the best ever all nighter .that the winnerat blackpool really is the ns dancing world champion and that you can be taught to dance by a six year veteran o a dvd i repeat dot tell me what its all about YOU WERNT THERE!!

I was not criticising your opinion of the newcomers of the past six years, I fully agree mate. I was merely asking why you're only elite if your in your 50's. Valid question. As I said, not asked in arrogance or to offend.

Social source share

That's a good post Mixercorsa. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

I completely get where you're coming from Julie. I agreed with most of Mixercora's post but if there is an over 50s elite who were there, many of them opted out for a couple of decades whilst many under 50s kept going. There are unfortunately some (and not meaning Mixercora) who think being there at Wigan for a couple of years gives them some elite status over those who weren't but managed to carry on for 30+ years whilst most of the Casino audience decided the scene wasn't for them post Dec 81. I suppose if you take the "you wasn't there" approach (although I wouldn't) that could be applied to say "Mexborough, Shotts, 100 Club, Blackburn and the 80s underground era.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Anarchic? By what what measure? Political? By what measure?

If you accepted the mainstream narratives put out by various nodes of information (and extraordinarily conceited DJs) you could conclude that 'Northern Soul' was a predominantly white phenomenon (possibly working class) which did not involve black people, despite the fact that the music clearly did not emerge from such a millieu. This analysis could be extended to the dancing (you need to be 'told' how to dance and what is appropriate?!), the DJs (overwhelmingly white - and in some cases grammar school midddle class), and the fetishism of an obstensibly black art form (vinyl only etc). A contextual framing mnight also be available via the apparent disregard for the developing technical emphasis through the late 1970s etc - especially with the advent and popularity of the Technics 1200 / 1210 etc).

Narratives and power - that is the combination to remember in any such discussion.

Rob Alias

The Beats & Pieces Show

Starpoint Radio   

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

I was chatting to Jessica about the commercialiasation of the scene as we know it and she mentioned this book

Subculture: The Meaning of Style is a 1979 book by Dick Hebdige.

The summary on Wikipedia contains a very telling few lines:

The dominant society often sees these groups as radical, leading to fear, skepticism, and anxiety in their response. In some ways, this gives the subculture's resistance more power but only momentarily, because eventually entrepreneurs find a way to commodify the style and music of the subculture. Before long, elements of the subculture are available to the mainstream, i.e. Edwardian jackets of the Teddy boys. In this way, what was once subversive, rebellious, and radical, is now contained. For this reason, it is often the case that the moment when dominant society begins to recognize a subculture is the moment that the resistant power of the subculture begins to die

So once Boris Johnson starts doing back drops to "The Cheater"..and Nick Clegg raises a clenched fist to the audience and shouts "Keep The Faith  Britain" its the end of Northern as we know it...........

Social source share

Its done by that Fiona woman that only dances to the tune in her head and not the actual record and still wins contests FFS .

Thank the lord ...I was beginning to think I was the only person who scratched his head at seeing her always in the final stages of dance comp bids ,thinking how bad ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest penny

Anarchic? By what what measure? Political? By what measure?

If you accepted the mainstream narratives put out by various nodes of information (and extraordinarily conceited DJs) you could conclude that 'Northern Soul' was a predominantly white phenomenon (possibly working class) which did not involve black people, despite the fact that the music clearly did not emerge from such a millieu. This analysis could be extended to the dancing (you need to be 'told' how to dance and what is appropriate?!), the DJs (overwhelmingly white - and in some cases grammar school midddle class), and the fetishism of an obstensibly black art form (vinyl only etc). A contextual framing mnight also be available via the apparent disregard for the developing technical emphasis through the late 1970s etc - especially with the advent and popularity of the Technics 1200 / 1210 etc).

Narratives and power - that is the combination to remember in any such discussion.

Rob Alias

The Beats & Pieces Show

Starpoint Radio 

Dont understand what point you are making here, sorry. Can you clarify in plain english?

Social source share

i can partly  understand someone taking dance lessons to help nervousness  when starting to attend  soul events and listen to music of any kind  that makes them want to dance :thumbsup: .....but to want to enter and win a competition in what should be , in our scene anyway, a spontaneous individual  display of personal enjoyment i have always  found baffling....ez

Edited by ezzie brown
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!