Sandra Wright original 70s LP does exist

Sunnysoul

I met David Johnson at Charly records offices when he came over to do the deal on South Camp / Quinvy I remember asking him about the Sandra Wright sessions and he said they were never issued on an LP by Stax. But I suppose it's possible that test pressings were made. But I'll only believe it when I see a copy.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Anyone dug out the Blues & Soul's/Black Music's from the time - always listed new releases at the time........

Mike, I was hoping someone may have done this by now.

I suppose I'll be having to go up into the loft to see for myself as mine are all 'archived' up there!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, sirshambling said:

I met David Johnson at Charly records offices when he came over to do the deal on South Camp / Quinvy I remember asking him about the Sandra Wright sessions and he said they were never issued on an LP by Stax. But I suppose it's possible that test pressings were made. But I'll only believe it when I see a copy.

Funnily enough I've been digging around the net like a b*stard looking for anything that refers to an original including your great site too but unfortunately coming up with zero. However, in this instance, it seems like a case of everyone repeating the same story of a 'lost album' that never got issued. As Steve G often points out, sometimes these multiple stories that get copied and copied tend to be thought of as the truth after a while. I'll try and dig Paul Mooney out but someone, somewhere did buy one of these off me in the late 70s so hopefully the truth will emerge in tangible form at some point. Most people simply assume that I'm mistaken (or worse) but on the same trip I did turn up the Si Hightower mini-album test-pressing and no other copy of that has showed up in 40 years either.

Best,

Ian D :)

Social source share

5 hours ago, shinehead said:

Don't know much about licensing but if the record was a reissue would it not have been licenced from Stax/Fantasy and not David Johnson Broadway productions which it was?   

Stax/Fantasy SHOULD own it but it is a murky period and the distribution channels were not clear cut at that point. There should have been paperwork in place since there were two verified Truth 7" releases anyway so I have no doubt that this repertoire certainly was owned by Stax at one point. The fact that the company was imploding and that her album got lost in the shuffle could have resulted in David Johnson Broadway Productions getting the rights back somehow. In fact, it's entirely possible that David Johnson Broadway Productions could have removed Stax's rights to the material on the basis that their legal and financial situation effectively destroyed their ability to exploit the repertoire properly. Obviously, if that was the case, the best argument (maybe for all parties at that point) would be to say that the album was never issued or pressed. In a situation like that, if they had manufactured any, they'd probably destroy 'em a.s.a.p. Not surprising if a handful copies escaped in my view. Plus it would be in David Johnson Broadway Productions interest to say it never got issued since that would make it 'fresh' material for any potential future licensee and therefore theoretically more valuable. All supposition but that would be my guess. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout
22 minutes ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Funnily enough I've been digging around the net like a b*stard looking for anything that refers to an original including your great site too but unfortunately coming up with zero. However, in this instance, it seems like a case of everyone repeating the same story of a 'lost album' that never got issued. As Steve G often points out, sometimes these multiple stories that get copied and copied tend to be thought of as the truth after a while. I'll try and dig Paul Mooney out but someone, somewhere did buy one of these off me in the late 70s so hopefully the truth will emerge in tangible form at some point. Most people simply assume that I'm mistaken (or worse) but on the same trip I did turn up the Si Hightower mini-album test-pressing and no other copy of that has showed up in 40 years either.

Best,

Are you sure about that Ian? Steve has a copy as previously discussed, but then again so has that Mark Dobson Chap so that's at least one other copy out there

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

No Butch definitely has one, but then is that really a surprise. I know because I almost spilled my pint of cider all over it at Hinkley last year :ohmy:

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Johnny One Trout said:

No Butch definitely has one, but then is that really a surprise. I know because I almost spilled my pint of cider all over it at Hinkley last year :ohmy:

LOL, that would have cost you dear! Wow. News to me but it doesn't surprise me if it's Butch. I don't know where the hell he would have turned that up from....

Social source share

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 00:35, Ian Dewhirst said:

I'm assuming I sold it to Colin because he bought most of my 'Deeper' stuff and offhand, I can't think who else was buying albums from me at the time but someone got it for sure. I'm kind of shocked that this album is now in the 'holy grail' category. I can remember that the sleeve was pretty battered but I had no idea it was THAT rare. Colin got my Si Hightower album so I'm assuming that the Sandra Wright album went to him too.......

Your taste in music must have been pretty dire at that time Ian to let those two go :lol: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Just out of interest ,just read in the booklet with the final Stax  CD box set ,that Sandra Wright "Wounded Woman " single was assigned a release on Stax 0212 ,but somewhere along the line was changed to the first release on the new Truth label .

Distribution and politics Eddie. I think Stax were having battles with Columbia at that point and were being very creative in terms of what would go through Columbia's distribution (all Stax releases) and what would go through the Indies - all Truth releases. They had to keep cashflow going, so some Stax releases got switched to Indie distribution, often quite late in the day.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Johnny One Trout said:

Close shave I heard that was.….Yes, and the same with John Edwards 2nd album which I have on acetate, but it was NEVER issued at the time. I think Ian may have had an acetate of Sandra Wright….but I don't believe there is a full release copy out there….unless it's the latest looky-like….and the bootleggers have moved on to albums :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just been trawling through my cd collection and found the cd. Some useful info in the sleeve notes.

The track "I'll see you through" is the same song as Luther Ingram I'll be your shelter, which was written by Homer banks,Raymond jackson & Carl Hampton but is credited as unknown on her album.

Kev

Sandra Wright cd.jpg

Sandra Wright Sleeve Notes.jpg

Sandra Wright CD Cover.jpg

Edited by stateside
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, stateside said:

What year was it released, before I start trawling through old B&S.  I am almost certain that Colin Dilnot told me that he lent his copy of the album to Soul Brother records to make a copy. He definitely did it with one album John Clement might be able to confirm.

Kev

In his article from In The Basement (issue #32) Colin Dilnot wrote : "She was not involved in the Demon release in 1988".

Social source share

On 21 January 2016 at 09:06, Sebastian said:

Nitpicking perhaps, but the version of "Midnight Affair" on the Demon LP is not the same version as on the original 7".

It's a totally different vocal take on the LP version and has got slightly different lyrics as well.

I've heard this said before Sebastian , but my 45 plays exactly the same take as the album (I've just played them both next to each other at the same time) and apart from the 45 being 14 seconds longer, there is no difference. I've seen different presses of the 45 and wonder if one of those has a different take. Mine is the vinyl  copy with smaller typeface and white background on the 'Truth' logo...

Edited by DtheD
Additional text .
Social source share

9 minutes ago, DtheD said:

I've heard this said before Sebastian , but my 45 plays exactly the same take as the album (I've just played them both next to each other at the same time) and apart from the 45 being 14 seconds longer, there is no difference. I've seen different presses of the 45 and wonder if one of those has a different take. Mine is the vinyl  copy with smaller typeface.

The differences are very subtle.

During the first chorus on the 45 she sings:
"talking 'bout a midnight, ohhhh, midnight affair
we're gonna have a midnight, ohhhh, midnight affair",

At the same chorus on the LP take she sings it the other way around:
"we're gonna have a  midnight, ohhhh, midnight affair
talking 'bout a midnight, ohhhh, midnight affair",

The vocal phrasing and the intonation of the "ohhhh"'s etc are also different on the two versions.

Compare below.
45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtqvKpwduPk
LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvV6ZgANpLg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Steve G said:

Close shave I heard that was.….Yes, and the same with John Edwards 2nd album which I have on acetate, but it was NEVER issued at the time. I think Ian may have had an acetate of Sandra Wright….but I don't believe there is a full release copy out there….unless it's the latest looky-like….and the bootleggers have moved on to albums :lol:

Mmm. You're making me wonder now. I do recall that the album was heavy because it had busted through the fairly thick card spine so it actually looked pretty battered and the cover art didn't improve with age either 'cos most of the sleeve was black and beginning to fade. It may have been a test-press which was pressed at an indie plant which would make sense knowing what they were going through at the time. I bet Colin Dilnot got it. He knew what to zoom in on so that album would have been a no-brainer for him I believe.

Social source share

20 hours ago, stateside said:

What year was it released, before I start trawling through old B&S.  I am almost certain that Colin Dilnot told me that he lent his copy of the album to Soul Brother records to make a copy. He definitely did it with one album John Clement might be able to confirm.

Kev

Well that would make all the sense in the world. They really have to scan an original Album sleeve in order to get a decent quality scan for the re-issue. Well done Kev. I did sell it to Colin Dilnot and that would be where the Soul Brother original sleeve came from. I never thought it would be a one-off but it sounds like it might be. Plus Colin's not a guy to shout about what he has anyway, so he'll have been sitting on that since the late 70s by the looks of it. Plus, obviously he'd never sell it. That's why I sold it to him. It needed a good home and I'm not really into Deep stuff...........

Social source share

26 minutes ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Well that would make all the sense in the world. They really have to scan an original Album sleeve in order to get a decent quality scan for the re-issue. Well done Kev. I did sell it to Colin Dilnot and that would be where the Soul Brother original sleeve came from.

Ok. I'll repeat this. I'll type slowly, too. Paul Mooney sent Laurence (Soul Brother) an image of Sandra Wright. Not an image of a sleeve. Not a scan of a sleeve. A Jpeg. A flat Jpeg. Of just Sandra Wright. With no words, titles or any other credits on it. Don't know where the image that Paul sent originated from or how Paul got it. Laurence then sent me the image and said 'Can you do a sleeve. Can you make it look like a 70s sleeve'. I actually had the sleeve design show her head smaller (possibly with shoulders) then decided it looked more '70s' to make her face fill the cover. Then we chose a font and put some track titles on there. Et voila...looks a bit '70s'. Soul Brother (i.e Laurence and I) have never seen or had an original album sleeve to scan, copy or duplicate. It's not beyond the realms of imagination to think that the image we used for the sleeve was a promo shot that David Johnson passed on to Paul: and that any original album/test press/whatever sleeve used that, as it was a decent pic of her.

So, to recap. That's...
"They really have to scan an original Album sleeve in order to get a decent quality scan for the re-issue" No, Paul Mooney sent us an image of her face (and maybe shoulders - I'll have to find the pic he sent)
"I did sell it to Colin Dilnot and that would be where the Soul Brother original sleeve came from." No. The Soul Brother sleeve came from an image that Paul Mooney sent us (as described above), and my imagination and computer. 

Maybe drop this 'Soul Brother had an original sleeve scan/original sleeve' thing, now? Because absolutely, we didn't. 

I have asked Paul on facebook to comment on this thread but not sure if he's seen it yet. 

Edited by Jason S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 20/01/2016 at 08:14, shinehead said:

Cannot give you a month of release but the album first got a mention in the issue 10 earlyish  1989 of V F T S albeit a very small one by Jan Barker , the next time it got a mention was in issue 12 of the same year again by Jan Barker , it was also listed as for sale by Record Corner in the same issue.

Very surprisingly there was never a full review of the said LP in V F T S , looking at the promotion the Lp got those of us who bought a copy were the lucky ones.

I reviewed The Demon release in Black Echoes at the time it came out. Very favourably, I might add. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Jason S said:

Ok. I'll repeat this. I'll type slowly, too. Paul Mooney sent Laurence (Soul Brother) an image of Sandra Wright. Not an image of a sleeve. Not a scan of a sleeve. A Jpeg. A flat Jpeg. Of just Sandra Wright. With no words, titles or any other credits on it. Don't know where the image that Paul sent originated from or how Paul got it. Laurence then sent me the image and said 'Can you do a sleeve. Can you make it look like a 70s sleeve'. I actually had the sleeve design show her head smaller (possibly with shoulders) then decided it looked more '70s' to make her face fill the cover. Then we chose a font and put some track titles on there. Et voila...looks a bit '70s'. Soul Brother (i.e Laurence and I) have never seen or had an original album sleeve to scan, copy or duplicate. It's not beyond the realms of imagination to think that the image we used for the sleeve was a promo shot that David Johnson passed on to Paul: and that any original album/test press/whatever sleeve used that, as it was a decent pic of her.

So, to recap. That's...
"They really have to scan an original Album sleeve in order to get a decent quality scan for the re-issue" No, Paul Mooney sent us an image of her face (and maybe shoulders - I'll have to find the pic he sent)
"I did sell it to Colin Dilnot and that would be where the Soul Brother original sleeve came from." No. The Soul Brother sleeve came from an image that Paul Mooney sent us (as described above), and my imagination and computer. 

Maybe drop this 'Soul Brother had an original sleeve scan/original sleeve' thing, now? Because absolutely, we didn't. 

I have asked Paul on facebook to comment on this thread but not sure if he's seen it yet. 

Sorry Jason, I was merely replying to an earlier post that suggested that Colin had sent his original to Soul Brother: -  "I am almost certain that Colin Dilnot told me that he lent his copy of the album to Soul Brother records to make a copy". 

Oh well, no offence intended. Back to the drawing board then (no pun intended).....

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Sorry Jason, I was merely replying to an earlier post that suggested that Colin had sent his original to Soul Brother: -  "I am almost certain that Colin Dilnot told me that he lent his copy of the album to Soul Brother records to make a copy". 

Oh well, no offence intended. Back to the drawing board then (no pun intended).....

Your memory has gone mate.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've not long since been looking through that interview that Colin Dilnot did with Sandra which was mentioned earlier - In The Basement 32. (Around 2003)

As already said, Sandra had no involvement or even any knowledge of the Demon release prior to a number of people saying to her that they had copies of it, but this wasn't until a few years after it was released.

More to the point, at no point does Colin mention the existence of an earlier copy of it, let alone owning one - I find it odd that he wouldn't have at least mentioned something about it, even if he only said a test pressing exists of it but not mentioned it was his. But as I don't know him that well, I couldn't ever be certain of this.

I guess we could do with someone currently in touch with him to ask the question :thumbsup:

Edited by John Benson
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

3 minutes ago, John Benson said:

More to the point, at no point does Colin mention the existence of an earlier copy of it, let alone owning one - I find it odd that he wouldn't have at least mentioned something about it, even if he only said a test pressing exists of it but not mentioned it was his. But as I don't know him that well, I couldn't ever be certain of this.

I guess we could do with someone currently in touch with him to ask the question :thumbsup:

Yes, I was thinking this - unless the article was written before he got an original copy??

Social source share

16 minutes ago, John Benson said:

What is said about Dilnot not mentioning it speaks volumes really, when writing the liners for a previously unreleased album, stating that it exists as a acetate/test/promo copy but is actually dog rare isn't gonna be something you don't include.  So Ian either sold it to someone different or is mistaken.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Jason S said:

Yes, I was thinking this - unless the article was written before he got an original copy??

As I wrote, the article was printed around 2003, the interview being done the year before that (it says so in the article).

Which was why I thought it odd he wouldn't mention it - unless Mr Dewhirst didn't actually sell it to him until after that date!  :wink:

Social source share

29 minutes ago, John Benson said:

As I wrote, the article was printed around 2003, the interview being done the year before that (it says so in the article).

Which was why I thought it odd he wouldn't mention it - unless Mr Dewhirst didn't actually sell it to him until after that date!  :wink:

Ian said, above "Colin's not a guy to shout about what he has anyway, so he'll have been sitting on that since the late 70s by the looks of it. " But that said, mentioning the existence of an original would surely have been the bombshell moment in any article on this release and would truly have been the full story. Unless he didn't want to be relentlessly pestered for his copy by rabid vinyl addicts! :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 20/01/2016 at 08:14, shinehead said:

Cannot give you a month of release but the album first got a mention in the issue 10 earlyish  1989 of V F T S albeit a very small one by Jan Barker , the next time it got a mention was in issue 12 of the same year again by Jan Barker , it was also listed as for sale by Record Corner in the same issue.

Very surprisingly there was never a full review of the said LP in V F T S , looking at the promotion the Lp got those of us who bought a copy were the lucky ones.

I reviewed The Demon release in Black Echoes at the time it came out. Very favourably, I might add. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, John Benson said:

Well, here's the weird thing. I certainly wouldn't have considered mentioning it because I assumed that there were more copies around. I knew it was rare but not one-off rare. I'm pretty sure that like Si Hightower, Colin would have pestered me for months to buy it before I eventually caved in (assuming it was Colin I sold it to). Also I knew about the album before I even found a copy. It was certainly known in some circles in the mid 70s. That's why I'm amazed no ones popped up to verify it yet. This is really weird to me. Like living in some kind of parallel universe.

Also Colin is very shy about disclosing what he has. He always has been and he's told me in the past that he didn't want hoards of Northern collectors pestering him. Plus bear in mind that Pete Lawson lived nearby to him in the late 70s! :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would be very surprised if this album got released on Truth , the Shirley Brown LP got out at around the same period and the single was a hugh smash the last big one for Stax , maybe Stax just pushed the Brown lp and just left the Wright Lp in the can due to the similar style of the two singers and material.

Maybe they intended to release the album at a later date but before that Stax imploded. 

Social source share

6 hours ago, Sean Hampsey said:

I honestly feel this LP is less likely to be on 'Truth' than it is on 'Fantasy'.

So there's been just a couple of reported 'sightings' but I can't help thinking that they are quite likely to be mistaken here, in my opinion.

To spice things up (or to kill this speculation off completely) I will gladly pay £3,000 for a US copy of this elusive Sandra Wright LP, if it's out there (via Colin Dilnot or any other potential owner) on the original US label Truth / Gospel truth or Stax (..... of course, that is providing I get to check it personally as a true original and not some recent snide / moody repro - akin to the Sam Williams etc. listed on another thread).

Would somebody please deliver me the goods (because I'd love an 'original' US copy of this fabulous album).

Let's face it, after seeing over a million or so records in our life times, the mind plays tricks on us sometimes. We're only human. But until this album appeared on Demon, all those years ago, it's my belief that this was a totally unreleased work. And completely unheard of, this side of the pond.

That's my view. And like others on this thread, until someone produces the goods I will struggle to accept otherwise.

Then again, if it turns up, and you take up my offer, I'll be the owner of a pretty exclusive one off!

:wicked:

Somehow though, I think my money is safe, but, come on guys lets see the vinyl.

:thumbsup:

Sean

I would agree with Sean and suspect it is Ian's mind playing tricks. No other copies of an original ever been seen by anyone in forty years. I know i had in my own mind pictures of LPs from four decades ago that I could swear I once saw but now realise do not exist. 

Social source share

The problem is that the evidence for it not existing (no pics of the original LP/no mention of it existing anywhere - on the net or in print - prior to this thread/ no-one with the LP coming forward: yet) far outweighs the evidence for it existing: a memory of a sale of an album in the 1970s. Come on Mr Dilnot, fix this! :D

Social source share

Colin is well and truly off the scene now pursuing a career as a biographer,(Malcolm Lowry a local writer) I like Eddie traded tapes and later cds with him visiting him on many occasions along with Kev Horsewood (stateside), never heard the Sandra Wright tracks, ( the up tempo ones which he knew I'd prefer) so I'd say he never had it, even if he had and passed it on he would have kept it on one of the hi-quality chrome cassettes that he always used.

Colin was not adverse to letting things go if the price was right.

BTW there are two different album covers the new one with a single image and the one that Kev posted earlier (for the cd but I guess the vinyl Denon release is the same)

Kev the new release has the I'll be your shelter titled correctly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Jason S said:

Would you say the photo on the Soul Brother release was taken at the same time as, or cropped from the Photos that were used on the Demon release ?, they look pretty similar to these eyes.

Also the Demon release label states clearly that the album was leased from Broadway productions NOT Stax/Truth/Fantasy maybe Fantasy only bought the rights to previously issued Stax product ?

Where/how did Soul Brother get the rights to release it ? if Demon had already done so in the UK ?, this may be a daft question but I'm not an expert on copyright etc.

Just another small point, David Johnson in the sleeve notes shown earlier explicitly states it was never released, I think he would have known.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Would you say the photo on the Soul Brother release was taken at the same time as, or cropped from the Photos that were used on the Demon release ?, they look pretty similar to these eyes.

Also the Demon release label states clearly that the album was leased from Broadway productions NOT Stax/Truth/Fantasy maybe Fantasy only bought the rights to previously issued Stax product ?

Where/how did Soul Brother get the rights to release it ? if Demon had already done so in the UK ?, this may be a daft question but I'm not an expert on copyright etc.

Just another small point, David Johnson in the sleeve notes shown earlier explicitly states it was never released, I think he would have known.

Kegsy, Ralph at Expansion/Passion does all the licensing work for Soul Brother - both Soul Brother and Ralph have and do work quite a bit with David.

I don't think the image we used on the RSD/Soul Brother release was scanned or taken from the Demon sleeve - the quality of the pic  we got (via email) was much stronger. It could actually have been the original shot of the picture in the centre of the triptych on the Demon release that we were sent. I'll need to dig out the jpeg Paul sent us to check properly. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Jason S said:

Kegsy, Ralph at Expansion/Passion does all the licensing work for Soul Brother - both Soul Brother and Ralph have and do work quite a bit with David.

I don't think the image we used on the RSD/Soul Brother release was scanned or taken from the Demon sleeve - the quality of the pic  we got (via email) was much stronger. It could actually have been the original shot of the picture in the centre of the triptych on the Demon release that we were sent. I'll need to dig out the jpeg Paul sent us to check properly. 

Sorry I didnt mean to infer the photo was taken from the Demon release cover, I meant that the photos on both covers seem to be from the same photo session. The make-up she is wearing and the lighting seem very similar.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!