Collection Filing - How Do You Do It?

Dave65

After a gap of 35 years I'm collecting again and starting to build it up nicely but how should I file them?

I used to do US & UK separately, label alphabetically, then artist alphabetically. 

Let's hear your thoughts on how you do it.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Dave65 said:

After a gap of 35 years I'm collecting again and starting to build it up nicely but how should I file them?

I used to do US & UK separately, label alphabetically, then artist alphabetically. 

Let's hear your thoughts on how you do it.

Dave

i do mine on word but seperate the motown and related labels,two lists,

wish i had done it so i could call up any label or  artist name by the click of a button or two now,

not computer literate enough for that 

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Keep the USA and UK releases separate. File by artist in alphabetical order. Keep specific label collections apart eg Motown. Not worth filing by label as so many companies it gets too complicated. Be sure to have lots of shelves and try to keep the lot in a small room.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Typo
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

10 hours ago, davidwapples said:

Labels that I collect are in number order 

Me too. U.S.A. Releases seperate from U.K. All listed on an Excell spreadsheet. All original first releases together. Second issues and boots in another section. Any label that I have two or more of are together in number order. All in white card sleeves with a number on the sleeve. Control F finds any record in the collection on the computer. It's a bit time consuming at first but then easy to find anything when it is done.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Roburt said:

I keep all mine in cardboard (or wooden / plastic) boxes. Keep getting stuff out & leaving it in piles around the record room. Eventually the wife goes mad coz she's got no room to clean up.

Then I hurriedly shove em all in the nearest space in any box to hand.

It's a great system, only takes me a few days to find a specific 45 when I need a particular one.

Love it Roburt. Also you have a wife to clean up? I was never that lucky with either of my ex-wives! :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, RobbK said:

For 45s and EPs I use different walls for different geographical locations.  I have a Detroit (w/Toledo) wall with Motown labels on top 5 shelves then Golden World labels, Then Thelma, then Correc-Tone, then Solid Hitbound, Mike Hanks labels, Robert West labels, Fortune, Carmen Murphy labels, etc.  in descending order of their importance to my taste, and order that they fit on the shelves.

Same goes for the Chicago(w/Milwaukee,St. Louis,Indianapolis) wall, with Chess/Checker/Argo/Cadet,Tuff/Parrot/Satellite related labels, VJ/Falcon/Abner/Tollie, Chance etc., Oneder-Ful/Mar-V-Lus/M-Pac, United/States, USA, Don Talty labels, Jack Daniels labels, and the rest.

Also an L.A. San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego (so California wall) with Modern/Kent/RPM/Flair/Crown, Specialty, Money/Cash/Recorded in Hollywood/Hollywood/Lucky etc., Arvee,Ebb, SAR/Derby & related, Mira/Mirwood, Bobby Sanders labels, GNP Chreschendo, Pacific Jazz/World Pacific, Blue Note, Dot, Flip, and the rest of L.A.  and Music City, Fantasy/Galaxy and all the SF labels.

I also have my biggest wall with multi-city Majors like Columbia labels(Okeh/Epic), Capitol(, Mercury(Smash/Philips/Blue Rock/Fontana/MRC/Wing/Ensign etc), Decca/Brunswick/Coral etc., RCA(Vik/Groove) etc., Uni/ReVue/Kapp/Congress & related,

I have one for Atlantic(ATCO & related), and a NY/NJ wall with Scepter-Wand & dist., Jubilee/Josie(Jay-Gee Dist),Bobby & Danny Robinson labels, Old Town & related, Prestige, Apollo, Joe Davis labels, Sue and Dist., Colpix/Dimension, Daisy/Tiger/Red Bird/Blue Cat, Lenox, and The Rest.

I have an Ohio/East Coast wall with Pennsylvania/Ohio/D.C./Baltimore,Boston,Louisville), dominated by King (King/Federal/De Luxe/Bethlehem & King Dist. labels), Way Out & related, Dominated by Philadelphia (Jamie/Guyden, Gotham & G&H - related labels, Cameo-Parkway, Swan, etc.

Lastly, a smaller "Catch All" wall for Southern and non-California Western labels. UK, and European and US records of the year (usually about 2,000) are in my European abodes.  Canadian records are with my US.  My LPs are divided between US and Europe. They are also filed by City or region of label location.

I do not have any list of what I have, on paper or computer file. I'm too old to start one now.  I'd never finish it.  If I manage to live another 20 years (to 90), I could potentially finish one.  But, I'll probably have to work for a living until I can't physically work.  As I'm a writer and artist, that point would be the point where I couldn't handle the work to make the list.  I can't afford to hire someone to make the list.  If I could afford THAT, I could afford to take enough time off work to list my records! :rofl:

Robb, that sounds amazing you can tell you are creative man by the way you lay them out. I don't think I've got enough records to do one wall yet, but I'll keep going. 

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, RobbK said:

For 45s and EPs I use different walls for different geographical locations.  I have a Detroit (w/Toledo) wall with Motown labels on top 5 shelves then Golden World labels, Then Thelma, then Correc-Tone, then Solid Hitbound, Mike Hanks labels, Robert West labels, Fortune, Carmen Murphy labels, etc.  in descending order of their importance to my taste, and order that they fit on the shelves.

Same goes for the Chicago(w/Milwaukee,St. Louis,Indianapolis) wall, with Chess/Checker/Argo/Cadet,Tuff/Parrot/Satellite related labels, VJ/Falcon/Abner/Tollie, Chance etc., Oneder-Ful/Mar-V-Lus/M-Pac, United/States, USA, Don Talty labels, Jack Daniels labels, and the rest.

Also an L.A. San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego (so California wall) with Modern/Kent/RPM/Flair/Crown, Specialty, Money/Cash/Recorded in Hollywood/Hollywood/Lucky etc., Arvee,Ebb, SAR/Derby & related, Mira/Mirwood, Bobby Sanders labels, GNP Chreschendo, Pacific Jazz/World Pacific, Blue Note, Dot, Flip, and the rest of L.A.  and Music City, Fantasy/Galaxy and all the SF labels.

I also have my biggest wall with multi-city Majors like Columbia labels(Okeh/Epic), Capitol(, Mercury(Smash/Philips/Blue Rock/Fontana/MRC/Wing/Ensign etc), Decca/Brunswick/Coral etc., RCA(Vik/Groove) etc., Uni/ReVue/Kapp/Congress & related,

I have one for Atlantic(ATCO & related), and a NY/NJ wall with Scepter-Wand & dist., Jubilee/Josie(Jay-Gee Dist),Bobby & Danny Robinson labels, Old Town & related, Prestige, Apollo, Joe Davis labels, Sue and Dist., Colpix/Dimension, Daisy/Tiger/Red Bird/Blue Cat, Lenox, and The Rest.

I have an Ohio/East Coast wall with Pennsylvania/Ohio/D.C./Baltimore,Boston,Louisville), dominated by King (King/Federal/De Luxe/Bethlehem & King Dist. labels), Way Out & related, Dominated by Philadelphia (Jamie/Guyden, Gotham & G&H - related labels, Cameo-Parkway, Swan, etc.

Lastly, a smaller "Catch All" wall for Southern and non-California Western labels. UK, and European and US records of the year (usually about 2,000) are in my European abodes.  Canadian records are with my US.  My LPs are divided between US and Europe. They are also filed by City or region of label location.

I do not have any list of what I have, on paper or computer file. I'm too old to start one now.  I'd never finish it.  If I manage to live another 20 years (to 90), I could potentially finish one.  But, I'll probably have to work for a living until I can't physically work.  As I'm a writer and artist, that point would be the point where I couldn't handle the work to make the list.  I can't afford to hire someone to make the list.  If I could afford THAT, I could afford to take enough time off work to list my records! :rofl:

Sounds more like a record store. Reminds me of George's Songshop in Johnstown or Russell's Records in New Orleans.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave65 said:

Love it Roburt. Also you have a wife to clean up? I was never that lucky with either of my ex-wives! :thumbup:

Fret not Dave, you have a record collection that is destined to grow. Many husbands' gatherings have been sold to finance a divorce so the luckiest people are those who have a collection of any description.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mine is (sort of) in label order, then in numerical order for each label.

UK releases and US kept separate, then a few other boxes for any other country releases - which aren't sorted yet!

Mind you, I'm forever pulling things out to play / record as mp3, then not getting around to actually doing anything with them! :D

Spreadsheets etc. - I've toyed with the idea numerous times, then quickly decided against it due to the time it would take me to actually complete the task!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Artist A-Z (surname or group name) for me, regardless of label (Motown and subsidiaries included - it's all northern to me). Then each artist is filed in chronological release date order.

I'd save Philip Mitchell and Prince Philip Mitchell together under 'Philip Mitchell' (M)

Backed up on an Excel spreadsheet along with matrix information etc.. and a small photo of each label saved on my hard drive.

2nd issues and pressings kept separately

For example if I did it by label then Major Lance's records would be spread around my collection (OKeh, Dakar, Curtom etc) instead of all together. I'd find that troubling.

If that way of filing is OK for John Peel then it's OK for me. :)

Edited by SoulStu
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

the problem with separating UK from US is that you can't keep artists together - Sam Dees on Atlantic for example - bought 'Fragile' as a new release on UK why would I separate it from the rest of his (all US) ?     Likewise the Soul Bros 6 - Thank You Baby -  have a UK release  bought new - the rest US? 

So I file

by label - ignore Country of origin

then Artist

then by title

the exception to this is when I have a 'run' of a particular artist - which I file chronologically within Label and Artist (rather than title) - e.g. Wilson Picket on Atlantic (33  releases), Bobby Bland on Duke (58 releases) , OV Wright on Backbeat, Little Milton on Checker etc etc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think you should file it how you say it, that way when you are looking for it you know how to find it. For instance if describing a particular 45 which way would you say it -

"I'm gonna play Ton Of Dynamite" (then file this under T, and do likewise with every other record)
or 

"I'm gonna play Frankie (Loveman) Crocker"  (then file this under F, or C depending on how anal you are)
or

"I'm gonna play Turbo #0001"  (then come round my house and do my gardening, you've obviously got waaaay too much time on your hands ;-)

I use the same system at home as my DJ boxes. For me there's nothing worse than being on stage when a light bulb goes on above your head,  and you suddenly think " Oh I know what would be perfect to play next to keep the floor going - Seven Day Lover ", and then not being able to remember James Fountain's name to find it in the box ....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

13 hours ago, SoulStu said:

Artist A-Z (surname or group name) for me, regardless of label

I used to adhere to this method as well, and then became lazy, not filing new purchases away......

At this point, they're a mess.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 11/08/2016 at 09:28, Roburt said:

I keep all mine in cardboard (or wooden / plastic) boxes. Keep getting stuff out & leaving it in piles around the record room. Eventually the wife goes mad coz she's got no room to clean up.

It's a great system, only takes me a few days to find a specific 45 when I need a particular one.

Cheers Roburt  I though it was only me who had that problem. I feel better now. 

Dave 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Loving the replies everyone, keep 'em coming. The reason I put the post up is I felt I needed to get a system in place, because I'm losing track of what I have/buying and because of that I've bought two copies of Johnny Bragg - They're Talking About Me in the last month!

I'd not thought about doing a spreadsheet but the suggestions around that has got me started on one. Headers are Artist, Song Title, Flip, Label, Release Number, Other info. I opted for Song Title & Flip coz so many of our great tunes are actually B-sides.

Social source share

I have everything--both soul and non-soul 45s--lumped together in alpha order by artist.  Within the artist,  the records are in chronological order, i. e., the Major Lance Okeh singles would come first, then the Dakar, Curtom, etc.

Since there are specific labels I collect,  I may just put those labels separate from everything else and in numeric order. It sure would save me from buying spares that I can't get rid of.

Best, 

Mark

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have everything--both soul and non-soul 45s--lumped together in alpha order by artist.  Within the artist,  the records are in chronological order, i. e., the Major Lance Okeh singles would come first, then the Dakar, Curtom, etc.

Since there are specific labels I collect,  I may just put those labels separate from everything else and in numeric order. It sure would save me from buying spares that I can't get rid of.

Best, 

Mark

Social source share

Dead simple - use Excel spread sheet with 4 simple headers for Artist name, Song title, label, bought from with cost and date. You can include as many headers as you wish.

You can then list them in any order (mine is in label order) but simply change the search for artist and then all artist recorded files will show in alphabetical order. you can also list the collection from most expensive record to cheapest or other way around - too much choice really and all one programme which comes with most pc's / laptops these days.

Once you've started the programme it's a piece of cake to add / deduct the records and gives you a running total on what you've spent or what you think they're worth, what they're worth?? depends what the market is at the moment really.

regards Paul.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to file them in label order, but as I got older I kept forgetting what was on which label, so I re-filed them in artist order and now, even older,  I can't remember who sings the bloody songs. God only knows how Julian Bentley, Roburt and some of the real older end go on.

Kegsy (A victim of old age and poverty)

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

For the list side of it, track it all in Discogs - saves the time and effort making documents (as you can export in xls from Discogs) - the physical side of it aren't in any order as it makes me look through everything when creating a playbox that way stuff gets rotated all the time rather than sitting with the same tunes in a 100 or 200 playbox..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The funny thing is I go to excessive lengths to triple sleeve all my records, then create stick on labels with artist/ title/ label/ year/ notes etc., but then I bung them on shelves, in flight cases, in plastic bags under the bed, in no order whatsoever...
On one hand it's absolutely awful trying to find a specific record, but on the other hand I never have to re-file anything - just stick it in the nearest box. It's probably the result of some kind of OCD, and I know if i started down the pathway of alpha-numerical filing it would literally drive me crackers, so I just don't bother. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Dave65 said:

Loving the replies everyone, keep 'em coming. The reason I put the post up is I felt I needed to get a system in place, because I'm losing track of what I have/buying and because of that I've bought two copies of Johnny Bragg - They're Talking About Me in the last month!

I'd not thought about doing a spreadsheet but the suggestions around that has got me started on one. Headers are Artist, Song Title, Flip, Label, Release Number, Other info. I opted for Song Title & Flip coz so many of our great tunes are actually B-sides.

Dave

If you start a spreadsheet - or any database - be sure to keep Forename and Surname separate.  You need to be able to sort on Surname.   Nothing worse than a listing sorted by forename!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

also I mentioned this last time we discussed this....

when cataloging in a database I always use the convention 'Impressions (The)'  and I would store that in the Surname field.  

But what do people do with someone like 'Little  Milton' nickname followed by forename?  Or Mel And Tim - two forenames?

Again, I store that as surname so when I file by label then surname my STAX records would be in this order -

Frederick Knight 

Little Milton 

Mel And Tim

Newcomers (The) 

I do not differentiate between UK & US

the previous thread...

Social source share

Guest WakefieldArchive

The collection I have was stored in 45 rpm record cases as they were purchased at various record stores back in the day as the singles were released back in the day.  They are all indexed in the order they were bought in, which is chronological. I created a spreadsheet (similar to what others mentioned above) that has taken a long time to complete. It has a separate tab for each case, and each index has Case Number, Record Number, Artist, A Side Title, B Side Title, Label, Catalog Number, Release Date, Notes.  For records I add, I have a separate tab for "added records" that are also sorted chronologically. To find any record, I just click [Control] + [F] and type in a piece of data, and it pulls up the location. Additionally, I have recorded the A and B sides to each record and stored a mono-summed WAV (uncompressed) file of each, which I will eventually link to the spreadsheet (or some kind of GUI) so I can click any title to instantly play the song. (of course, spinning the record is MUCH more fulfilling, but sometimes a quick digital fix suffices in lieu of traveling to storage to get the disc)

I am fairly new to this forum btw, but REALLY enjoy all of the info and fantastic threads here. Cheers :)

Social source share

If you have a fairly large number of UK releases, filing them by label order (and separate from US releases) is the easiest I find, because there were relatively few UK labels. Especially easy to navigate where they have distinctive sleeves: Chess, HMV, London, MCA, Stateside, Tamla Motown....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Dave

If you start a spreadsheet - or any database - be sure to keep Forename and Surname separate.  You need to be able to sort on Surname.   Nothing worse than a listing sorted by forename!

Fundamental stuff innit? Yet, just today someone sent me a database that is sorted by forename Grrrrr. This is because the guys that are designing the database aren't conversing with collectors or compilers. Crazy ay?

Ian D :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. , I've not got enough wall's.

Steve

You bring the records Steve, I have the walls

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Fundamental stuff innit? Yet, just today someone sent me a database that is sorted by forename Grrrrr. This is because the guys that are designing the database aren't conversing with collectors or compilers. Crazy ay?

Ha ha, just imagine the number of Bobbys, Johnnys, Jimmys, Chucks and Jackies!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've now added surname, forename as suggested by doing a little formula work to separate them out from just artist (it allowed me to use some of the Excel skills I've learned at work over the years for something useful!) . After reading some of the posts I thought I was either going to be known as a numbskull or worse still burned at the stake if I didn't do this.

Ian D, I can possibly help out with that forename sorting

Edited by Dave65
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Dave65 said:

I've now added surname, forename as suggested by doing a little formula work to separate them out from just artist (it allowed me to use some of the Excel skills I've learned at work over the years for something useful!) . After reading some of the posts I thought I was either going to be known as a numbskull or worse still burned at the stake if I didn't do this.

Ian D, I can possibly help out with that forename sorting

Actually I may take you up on that. I do most stuff in Excel but it's always a pain converting bad databases with lousy formatting. An accountant could probably do stuff in seconds that could take me hours. I'll yell if it gets to that. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be asked to get further involved and it's a massive job so who knows? I'll holler if I need ya OK?

Social source share

Mine are in chronological order of purchase. They go into a white cardboard sleeve with a number on a rectangular white label stuck on it. This works for me because I have never sold any. I tell the Mrs that my whole "system" would fall into disarray if I sold even one.:wicked:

From 1971 to 1997 I wrote them down in order in hardback books, then I discovered excel and speech recognition software and dispensed with the books; though kept them for sentimental reasons. I make basic, pine wooden boxes to keep them in, making a new one each time one gets full. A recent addition is that I now stick castors on some of the boxes to make them easier to move around when they are on the floor in my loft. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 11 August 2016 at 08:28, Roburt said:

This sounds exactly like my system!!

No order whatsoever.all in white cardboard boxes so at least when they are put  away they look tidy. British and US all in together.the only labels I have kept separate and in numerical order are British Tamla Motown and British Sue as I specifically collect the label. Other than that it's a free for all.

Social source share

I've never understood collecting a particular label - the old 'I'm missing number xxx in my run of Veep records'. If number xxx is an atrocious record why would you want to by it??? That's no longer collecting for the music - it's a different type of collecting.  A Beatles collector might by 10 different copies of 'She loves you' as it was released in 10 different pic sleeves. The 10 copies are not purchased because the collector simply loves the track. 

Re filing: I also can't understand sorting in label order (let alone geographical by label !!!). If I want to find a Major Lance record I go to 'L' and there they all are - simples!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mr Smithy, that ain't your collection, that was a real record warehouse in Africa (Nigeria me thinks ?) ... AND .. that was the state it was in before the UK collector started to look thru the stock.

Souler, RE: A Beatles collector might buy 10 different copies of 'She loves you' as it was released in 10 different pic sleeves. The 10 copies are not purchased because the collector simply loves the track. 

I maybe also don't collect just for the music (using your definition) as I like to buy the same track on 45s from different countries. I have some fave cuts on releases from a combination of American, UK, Bajan, French, Yugoslavian, Aussie, German, Spanish, Italian & Dutch sources. 

An Edwin Starr 45 with picture sleeve that took my fancy recently ...

DSCF9261.JPG

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!