Members Introductions - Welcome to Soul Source

• 3 weeks later...

On 22/05/2018 at 11:15, Source Team said:

A new topic set up for new (or even longtime ) members to post up a Soul Source intro

Nothing major needed, just a quick heads up to all our members, letting them know that you are on here and ideally a brief bit about yourself.

It's a great way to break the ice!

Hi Soul folks, my name is John Bush and have been DJing across the board Northern soul in the East Anglia area and beyond for the last 20 years. Current I do a bi-monthly soul event in Caister on sea and the odd allnighter in  Great Yarmouth. My passion is the music and meeting like minded people at Soul events in the UK and abroad.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 minutes ago, John Bush said:

Hi Soul folks, my name is John Bush and have been DJing across the board Northern soul in the East Anglia area and beyond for the last 20 years. Current I do a bi-monthly soul event in Caister on sea and the odd allnighter in  Great Yarmouth. My passion is the music and meeting like minded people at Soul events in the UK and abroad.

Welcome john 👍😁👍

Social source share

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A overdue sort out of our Welcome procedure to new members is under way

Below is the message that all 'new' members see and this is the topic setup for intros

Welcome to Soul Source

A few words to help you get your feet under the table

• Before posting it may pay to have a good look around and see how other members use Soul Source. There is a site help feature (link below} which may help you in your early days.
    https://www.soul-source.co.uk/source-help/

• Your first posts do need to be approved by the mod team, so there may be a brief delay before they appear to all. An intro post (see below) }will help speed up this process.

• Your new members account will automatically be upgraded to a full members account by the site

• Uploading of images will be turned on once upgraded to a full account (see above)

• Please use  our Freebasing' forum if you do have any questions or if you do need any advice.
    https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/forum/147-freebasing/

• Last of all, please post a members intro into the intro topic below, it's just a quick way of saying hello to all and helps break the ice
    https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/384871-members-intros-welcome-to-soul-source/

Thanks and again welcome to Soul Source

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm Mr Grumpy Still D.J.ing on the Soul Scene after 50yrs

as well i have visited loads of soul events all over the country

as a guest or sometimes as a D.J. still love doing it to this day

and i hope my honest comments and opinions are positive.

Many Thanks Phil.

Social source share

Northern soul at Rothwell Leeds  started just over a year ago at the Rothwell AND  BUILING UP NICELY. FREE ENTRY AND PARKING GREAT SIZE DANCE FLOOR THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME JOIN STARTED FOLLOWING NORTHERN SOUL 49 YEARS AGO TRAVELING ALL OVER THE NORTH . DROPPED OFF FOR A WHILE BUT BACK INTO THE SWING . CHEERS PETE

Social source share

On 06/12/2023 at 14:32, Mr Grumpy said:

Hi I'm Mr Grumpy Still D.J.ing on the Soul Scene after 50yrs

as well i have visited loads of soul events all over the country

as a guest or sometimes as a D.J. still love doing it to this day

and i hope my honest comments and opinions are positive.

Many Thanks Phil.

20 minutes ago, Peter m Nevet said:

Northern soul at Rothwell Leeds  started just over a year ago at the Rothwell AND  BUILING UP NICELY. FREE ENTRY AND PARKING GREAT SIZE DANCE FLOOR THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME JOIN STARTED FOLLOWING NORTHERN SOUL 49 YEARS AGO TRAVELING ALL OVER THE NORTH . DROPPED OFF FOR A WHILE BUT BACK INTO THE SWING . CHEERS PETE

Hey welcome to Soul Source

Thanks for the intros, if you do need any help/advice just shout up

Though we also have a informative help section here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/source-help/

which may worth having a read

Hope ya enjoy

Mike

Social source share

Hi,

after years of using the event forum thought it was time I signed up! It all started for me at the Backstreet soul club in Norwich in the mid 80s, then 100 club and all nighters all over + 25 consecutive Cleethorpes weekenders. Still buying records (mostly modern soul) and titting about on old Italian shopping mopeds. Love it ! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Soul canary said:

Hi,

after years of using the event forum thought it was time I signed up! It all started for me at the Backstreet soul club in Norwich in the mid 80s, then 100 club and all nighters all over + 25 consecutive Cleethorpes weekenders. Still buying records (mostly modern soul) and titting about on old Italian shopping mopeds. Love it ! 

Great to hear you have made the jump across

Hope ya enjoy

Mike

Social source share

On 11/12/2023 at 18:57, Soul canary said:

Hi,

Welcome mate:-)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone I am new to this site. I have recently discovered that Northern Soul is still alive in a big way...much to my surprise...and this makes me very happy :) I have danced to this lovely music since I was 13 years old and I am so pleased to find events that I can go to. I'm looking forward to making new dancing friends!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, finally decided to put up my newbie post. 🙄

I guess I am completely new to this really. My dad has always been into Northern Soul/Motown so I grew up listening to the music.  I love a wide range of music genres but have always hated dancing.....except to Northern Soul. I think this is the only place my funky feet belong. 🤪

So, I'm trying to get out and about and dragging some friends into the fun.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, shinyshoes said:

Hi everyone, finally decided to put up my newbie post. 🙄

I guess I am completely new to this really. My dad has always been into Northern Soul/Motown so I grew up listening to the music.  I love a wide range of music genres but have always hated dancing.....except to Northern Soul. I think this is the only place my funky feet belong. 🤪

So, I'm trying to get out and about and dragging some friends into the fun.

Welcome to Soul Source Shinyshoes.

You'll like it here.

Peter

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I collaborated with Des Parles on the Rare Series of compilations when I worked for BMG records. We were partners in our private life for many years and I also had a pirate radio show featuring a lot of Rare Groove. My DJ name was Mother Popcorn.  We split up in July of 1985.  

Social source share

On 22/05/2018 at 11:15, Source Team said:

A new topic set up for new (or even longtime ) members to post up a Soul Source intro

Nothing major needed, just a quick heads up to all our members, letting them know that you are on here and ideally a brief bit about yourself.

It's a great way to break the ice!

New to Soul Source. Channel Soul Club in Ramsgate, Kent. Events through 2024 with DJs playing best of Northern, R&B and Motown.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick hello 👋🏽

My name’s Sophie Wolff Dangerfield and my British husband and I currently live in Chicago. I’m originally British (mum’s from Knaresborough near Leeds) and French. Lived in London late teens through my twenties and enjoyed discovering northern sounds there (100 Club, Regency do’s with Alan Handscombe, and others). Used to work at the Merc off Carnaby Street and have access to music being sold there too.

Now I help others in America learn about Northern Soul music and the dance styles associated with it. You can’t learn on the dance floor here as not many know about it. We’re growing the community though and had a packed northern event last night with a lovely big wooden floor.

Looking forward to exploring the posts on here. Thanks for adding me, Sophie

Social source share

56 minutes ago, Sophie Wolff D said:

Just a quick hello 👋🏽

My name’s Sophie Wolff Dangerfield and my British husband and I currently live in Chicago. I’m originally British (mum’s from Knaresborough near Leeds) and French. Lived in London late teens through my twenties and enjoyed discovering northern sounds there (100 Club, Regency do’s with Alan Handscombe, and others). Used to work at the Merc off Carnaby Street and have access to music being sold there too.

Now I help others in America learn about Northern Soul music and the dance styles associated with it. You can’t learn on the dance floor here as not many know about it. We’re growing the community though and had a packed northern event last night with a lovely big wooden floor.

Looking forward to exploring the posts on here. Thanks for adding me, Sophie

Hey Sophie

A big welcome to Soul Source. That's a very interesting introduction. I'm sure we all look forward to learning a bit more about you, as you learn a bit more about the site; and us lot! 🙂

Regards

Peter

Social source share

Hi, new member here. I'm a lifelong keyboard player currently residing in Michigan and Florida. Was wondering what ever happened to Jimmy Delphs from Detroit and found him on here. My old band mates produced "Do You Know What I Mean" with Jimmy and I found that on here too! I grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, near Detroit, so I heard all the great '60s times on the radio.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy from the Big Apple, y'all! (Typing in a light Southern US accent because I'm originally from Nashville, TN. )

I'm a lifelong professional drummer based in NYC for many years. I play a mix of jazz, pop and commercial gigs - and that's a reflection of my voracious appetite for nearly every genre of music known to man and woman. I'm also a major vinyl/analog sound enthusiast!

And vinyl is how I found my way to this forum: Not too long ago I was given a box of records by a family member to keep, sell, or toss at my leisure. Several 45's were in the mix, none of which was particularly noteworthy except for one, which was - drum roll, please - a promo copy of Lonnie Russ' Say Girl / Something For My Love! Had never heard of Lonnie Russ, looked it up, realized it was very special, cleaned it, played it and HOLY COW! It exploded from my speakers and I jumped lol. That thing was pressed good and hot. I couldn't understand how I had never heard of these killin' tracks!

One internet search led to another, and I ended up going down the rabbit hole finding out about the whole Northern Soul phenomenon. Fascinating. Just perusing and sampling the goodies on John Manship's website alone was enough to keep me occupied for hours on end. I "Flip-Flop"-ed around and added a 4-J compilation to my Apple Music library, among whatever other hidden gems I could find. How did so many great tracks fall under the radar here in the US?!?! I have never once heard any of my fellow musicians mention the phrase "Northern Soul". So, that Lonnie Russ 45 was my introduction to the whole thing! Hell of an intro, right??

FYI, as I am not a 45 collector, I will soon be offering it up for auction on Ebay. Of course, I made a very decent hi-res audio rip of both sides which will be available to anyone interested. If I kept this thing, I'd be tempted to play it until it was worn out!

Final random stuff: Speaking of all things "45 RPM", I recently obtained new 45 RPM double-lp analog pressings of Masterpieces by Ellington (Duke, of course), Crying (Roy Orbison) and the soundtrack to Hatari! (Henry Mancini). Pure bliss! Also, very much on a Northern Soul-related note: you guys may want to check out the PBS multi-part in-depth series on Gospel music that is now streaming on PBS (dot) org, hosted by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. It is extremely well done.

Mr. Admin Mike, assuming you read this, please feel free to msg me with any tidbits/advice/etc. you may have!

-Tom

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm STUART from AYRSHIRE in SCOTLAND. Been a music lover all my days with Soul being the favourite whenever asked.

I have recently started being a DJ (58 - Is there an age limit) mainly for charity and friends. I have really enjoyed this and was asked recently at at Soul night if I had any NORTHERN SOUL.

I had a few and played them - this ignited my curiosity in the music and now I am hooked and have added numerous great songs to my collection.

Would love to hear if any one from SOUTH AYRSHIRE would have a interest for a NORTHERN SOUL night locally.

Looking forward to getting involved at Soul Source and experiencing the website.

Thanks.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Hi Everone,

Rejoined Soul source this week - been into Northern Soul since 77 when six lads came into our youth club disco with record boxes told the DJ to launch I will survive and put on Landslide by Tony Clarke . They hit the floor and that’s when my obsession with Northern Soul began .I go all over the country mainly watching Man Utd away and then on to a Northern Soul venue near by.

Favourite venues currently Twisted Wheel Manchester Block 1 Warrington and Bristol Soul club.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Hi , thanks for accepting me.

I started my soul travels at the Brazenose St , Twisted Wheel around 1964, then Whitworth St. but had many great time at the Plebs and Cellar 44 in Halifax and a few different soul venues including Burnley and Blackpool Meccas. anyone remember these spots from the 60s? 
Be good to hear.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!