source team

Members Intros - Welcome to Soul Source

hi everyone! 

I'm new to soul source,  and comparatively new to northern soul I suppose as I wasn't born yet in the 70s! I grew up listening to northern soul though and I've been djing for about a year  - I run a couple of regular soul nights in manchester and in west yorkshire. 

looking forward to getting to know some fellow soul fans.

2 hours ago, Poppy Turner said:

hi everyone! 

I'm new to soul source,  and comparatively new to northern soul I suppose as I wasn't born yet in the 70s! I grew up listening to northern soul though and I've been djing for about a year  - I run a couple of regular soul nights in manchester and in west yorkshire. 

looking forward to getting to know some fellow soul fans.

Brilliant stuff Poppy, be sure to visit us in 'All about the soul' and 'Look at your box' tell us about your favourite soul tunes and post a few sounds up!

Welcome all new members & the latest one Tracey - Short and sweet! Feel free to add to the various forums.

Enjoy!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

On 08/09/2018 at 10:58, davace said:

Morning all

Good to be here.I'm a blues musician into R+B tinged NS.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Soul Source. Feel free to wade in.

Regards,

Dave 😉 

Posted (edited)

Hi All

Been lurking on here for a week or two now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. Sixties baby found black music through EW&F and The Crusaders at the tail end of the Seventies. Been a (general) DJ in the past and doing some (low end) vinyl trading at record fairs. Interested in most genres of black music, hence the moniker. Despite a general interest in 60's/70's soul through Stax, Chess, Atlantic, Motown and Philadelphia et all my understanding of Northern (the Scene moreso than the music) would benefit from some education. 

Looking forward to making a contribution.

(Another) Steve

Edited by Soulfusion

10 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

Hi All

Been lurking on here for a week or two now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. Sixties baby found black music through EW&F and The Crusaders at the tail end of the Seventies. Been a (general) DJ in the past and doing some (low end) vinyl trading at record fairs. Interested in most genres of black music, hence the moniker. Despite a general interest in 60's/70's soul through Stax, Chess, Atlantic, Motown and Philadelphia et all my understanding of Northern (the Scene moreso than the music) would benefit from some education. 

(Another) Steve

Welcome Steve

Peter

29 minutes ago, Tuppy said:

Hi I’m Mick. 

Im from York and I’ve loved listening to northern soul for about 10 years. 

Been to a couple of events on this website and loved them. 

Cheers. 

Mick. 

Hi Mick

Welcome to SS. 

Pete

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:12, Soulfusion said:

Hi All

(Another) Steve

Welcome Steve, wealth of knowledge here at SS on the Northern Soul music and scene throughout it's history!

Be sure to check us out at 'All About The Soul' (Scene, music and characters, history etc) and 'Look At Your Box' (Music, collecting, valuing etc)...

Best wishes!

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 09:58, davace said:

Morning all

Good to be here.I'm a blues musician into R+B tinged NS.

Dave

Welcome Dave, there's a few of us musos here at SS!

51 minutes ago, Tuppy said:

Hi I’m Mick. 

Cheers. 

Mick. 

Hi Mick, and welcome!

Dave and Mick, be sure to check us out at 'All About The Soul' (Scene, music and characters, history etc) and 'Look At Your Box' (Music, collecting, valuing etc)... 

Best wishes!

53 minutes ago, Tuppy said:

Hi I’m Mick. 

Cheers. 

Mick. 

Do yer like modern Mick?

:wicked:

:hatsoff2:

On 03/10/2018 at 15:12, Soulfusion said:

Hi All

(Another) Steve

I'm. Spartacus.  Steve.  Ste

Oops wrong thread again.  

Seriously though welcome to the not as mad as it used to be mad house.  Enjoy your journey. 

Another Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul

4 hours ago, Tuppy said:

Hi I’m Mick. 

Cheers. 

Mick. 

Welcome Mick. To the all knowledgeable soul source.  Enjoy your journey 

Steve 

On 30/10/2018 at 13:38, Peter99 said:

Do yer like modern Mick?

:wicked:

:hatsoff2:

Hi Pater 99. 

Funny you should ask. Up till now not sure how much modern I’ve heard, going to Leicester this Saturday where the different rooms may help to identify the differences. 

Cheers. 

11 hours ago, David Cartlidge said:

Hi everyone been into soul music since I was 12 years old 54 now do a bit of djing and love collecting dave

Welcome to the madness that is Soul Source, where tinnitus and cartilage troubles abound.  Mind you're step, there's a rocky road ahead of you, but feel free to comment on anything, the most they do isn't that savage as long as you have broad shoulders and a lively sense of humour.

Dave

@Martin S Welcome friend!

Now that is my kind of introductory post! Smashing, welcome to SS.

Please visit and post in the AATS and LAYB forums on here, and everywhere else of course but particularly those two, a great deal of knowledge and love for the canon is contained therein, you'll be in esteemed company plus your input will be most appreciated!

Cheers, best wishes.

Hey everyone! I'm Holly

Just introducing myself here, hope you've all been having a great weekend!

I'm selling some great northern soul with my martial arts coach who's a huge northern soul fan and has had his record collection for years. Unfortunately he is digitally inept... hence my assistance!

Looks like a nice and friendly community here!

10 hours ago, HollyQuinn said:

I'm selling some great northern soul with my martial arts coach

I'm feeling lucky here so do you by any chance have anything by Carl Douglas?

Hey Martin S, here's a link to the list of the ones he's given me so far, but I'll ask him if he's got some Carl Douglas stashed away somewhere for you

23 hours ago, HollyQuinn said:

I'm selling some great northern soul with my martial arts coach. I'll ask him if he's got some Carl Douglas stashed away

Now you have a photo on your profile it appears my original request would have passed over you as you look way too young to know what the title of Carl Douglas' biggest hit (if you'll excuse the pun) was? LOL

Edited by Martin S

12 hours ago, Martin S said:

Now you have a photo on your profile it appears my original request would have passed over you as you look way too young to know what the title of Carl Douglas' biggest hit (if you'll excuse the pun) was? LOL

I don't think age has anything to do with what you can enjoy musically! and I am aware of Carl Douglas but I couldn't call myself a big fan. I don't listen to any music from my era but I'm not the northern soul pro, that's my coach. 

Also I asked him and he has no Carl Douglas, apologies!

Just now, HollyQuinn said:

I don't think age has anything to do with what you can enjoy musically! and I am aware of Carl Douglas but I couldn't call myself a big fan. I don't listen to any music from my era but I'm not the northern soul pro, that's my coach. 

Also I asked him and he has no Carl Douglas, apologies!

I'm wondering if this was just a pun the whole time? 😅

Just now, Martin S said:

Just keeping on your toes. A pun? Just coincidental, would I do anything like that? Maybe he has this one instead?

You crack me up hahaha

Hi my name is Neal and I run and DJ at Let Your Backbone Slip Rythym and Soul Club in Leighton buzzard with my partner Aisling,  it's a new night we had our opening night in September and It was well attended. Our next night is Jan 25th at the British legion in Leighton buzzard. I'm passionate about Soul and R&B and i collect vinyl, hoping to meet some like minded people and spread the word about our night. Thanks and KTF ✊

3 hours ago, SkinheadSoulBhoy said:

Hi my name is Neal and I run and DJ at Let Your Backbone Slip Rythym and Soul Club in Leighton buzzard with my partner Aisling,  it's a new night we had our opening night in September and It was well attended. Our next night is Jan 25th at the British legion in Leighton buzzard. I'm passionate about Soul and R&B and i collect vinyl, hoping to meet some like minded people and spread the word about our night. Thanks and KTF ✊

Welcome Neal, there may be one or two vinyl collectors here, feel free to post up a few sounds/playlist details! :hatsoff2:

4 hours ago, SkinheadSoulBhoy said:

Hi Neal,

Welcome to Soul-source mate.

You may want to check your spelling of 'Rhythm' - I Only point it out because I spelled it wrong on my huge banner of 'The Wollaston Rhythm and Soul Club' back in the 80's, and all these years later I still get stick from Mace about my 'poor spelling' :D

Enjoy!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, SkinheadSoulBhoy said:

How's Leighton buzzard now a days Neal ? l use to love going to the unicorn club and buzzards hall many moons ago,  the towns got quite a bit of northern soul history l'm  sure there's many of Old odd folk on here that will share their memory's with you  welcome aboard

Hi!

I'm a 31 year old guy from Sweden who's been collecting records, mainly LPs and 12 inch singles, for 4 years or so. For most of my life I've been listening to hiphop and I've also been producing hip hop beats on samplers and computers. Soon after I started buying records I my musical taste expanded rapidly. Today I mostly listen to jazz, soul, disco, early 80s boogie and hiphop/rnb. I've never been big on 60s soul until a couple of weeks ago when I heard "Just be sincere" with Jackie Wilson which blew me away within seconds of hearing it. Such a nice, driving groove and such a great vocal performance!

Now I'm rapidly developing an addiction to collecting 45s. Judging by how much relatively rare but FANTASTIC music there seems to be out there it's going to be an expensive hobby, but what you gonna do? :)  

Found this forum a couple of days ago and it seems to be a wonderful community!

13 hours ago, Babinski said:

Hi!

I'm a 31 year old guy from Sweden who's been collecting records, mainly LPs and 12 inch singles, for 4 years or so. For most of my life I've been listening to hiphop and I've also been producing hip hop beats on samplers and computers. Soon after I started buying records I my musical taste expanded rapidly. Today I mostly listen to jazz, soul, disco, early 80s boogie and hiphop/rnb. I've never been big on 60s soul until a couple of weeks ago when I heard "Just be sincere" with Jackie Wilson which blew me away within seconds of hearing it. Such a nice, driving groove and such a great vocal performance!

Now I'm rapidly developing an addiction to collecting 45s. Judging by how much relatively rare but FANTASTIC music there seems to be out there it's going to be an expensive hobby, but what you gonna do? :)  

You will be glad you found this site bab  Jackie Wilson is a legend but that is the tip of the iceberg as you will find out have a happy musical journey Pete 😉

14 hours ago, Babinski said:

Hi!

Welcome to SS, I envy your position, being new to 60s Soul is a wonderful place to be, a whole world of fantastic music is on it's way to your ears!

On 22/05/2018 at 11:15, source team said:

A new topic set up for new (or even longtime ) members to post up a Soul Source intro

Nothing major needed, just a quick heads up to all our members, letting them know that you are on here and ideally a brief bit about yourself.

It's a great way to break the ice!

Back enjoying myself & the music again! Some of you may remember me as "Sammy" from wigan? If you do, then "HI", if you don't "HI" anyway.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.