Pre-order sales ?

Mike

From a buyers stand point I have no quarms about purchasing via a secure pre release order as it  quarantees me a Ltd release purchase I particularly wanted at original retail cost , rather than highly inflated prices,  driven by demand,  from sellers/scalpers once sold out. 
In an ideal world. I'd love to be able to walk into a local vinyl record shop and instantly buy what I want , when I want. I can only dream....

Edited by Andybellwood
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Andybellwood said:

From a buyers stand point I have no quarms about purchasing via a secure pre release order as it  quarantees me a Ltd release purchase I particularly wanted at original retail cost , rather than highly inflated prices,  driven by demand,  from sellers/scalpers once sold out. 
In an ideal world. I'd love to be able to walk into a local vinyl record shop and instantly buy what I want , when I want. I can only dream....

But you and other label owners are driving the market of scalpers as you call them, I can think of better names for some.  the amount you and others press, generally 300, is not enough and has been a bone of contention for a long time.  500 should be the minimum for any quality release.  Some who don't do limited releases are selling 4 figure quantities.  Surely more sales would also benefit the licence holder as well as the labels.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

With pre orders, surely a month maximum should be the time to allow preorder, and that is only with a guaranteed shipping and release date.  One up today with a release date 6 months away!  It is becoming a joke.  Radio stations are also getting the tracks months in advance and in many cases they are hammered, they don't feel too special when you actually get the vinyl.  I understand the need to plug and plug many tracks myself, but never six months before release.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Dewsburyborn said:

As most folks now know, the lead times for new vinyl manufacture is getting ridiculous.  Hit and Run are presently working on 20 weeks from start to finish tho' that does vary from week to week.  For that reason, it is now impossible to give an actual release date so far in advance and for that reason alone I won't take advance orders or even send out promo mp3s so frar in advance or, as Dean says, by the time the vinyl is actually released the pre-plays have faded somewhat.

I suspect cashflow is at the heart of this; with the delay of 20 weeks, if you're trying to schedule a release a month it means you need to have 5 releases in the queue at the plant (HR currently have EIGHT in line) in order to achieve continuity- that's a lot of royalty advances, MCPS, mastering costs, pressing costs.  Some of the recent labels possibly wouldn't want to make that commitment.

If you have enough confidence in your release to actually release it, then believe it will actually sell when it gets released - I don't quite get this pre-ordering simply for FOMO.

My pressing run is 400 + 50 and I haven't yet sold out within 2 months - which is ample time for someone who actually wants it to buy it.

Thanks Gary - a helpful insight .

In your metrics are the +50 demos ? 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dewsburyborn said:

As most folks now know, the lead times for new vinyl manufacture is getting ridiculous.  Hit and Run are presently working on 20 weeks from start to finish tho' that does vary from week to week.  For that reason, it is now impossible to give an actual release date so far in advance and for that reason alone I won't take advance orders or even send out promo mp3s so frar in advance or, as Dean says, by the time the vinyl is actually released the pre-plays have faded somewhat.

I suspect cashflow is at the heart of this; with the delay of 20 weeks, if you're trying to schedule a release a month it means you need to have 5 releases in the queue at the plant (HR currently have EIGHT in line) in order to achieve continuity- that's a lot of royalty advances, MCPS, mastering costs, pressing costs.  Some of the recent labels possibly wouldn't want to make that commitment.

If you have enough confidence in your release to actually release it, then believe it will actually sell when it gets released - I don't quite get this pre-ordering simply for FOMO.

My pressing run is 400 + 50 and I haven't yet sold out within 2 months - which is ample time for someone who actually wants it to buy it.

Interesting Gary, and at 5 months-ish, I think you're doing better than most people are right now.

And a good point on pressing numbers and people buying it.

I never want to created artificial rarities, but some punters seem very keen for them, but I was interested on the reactions we got with a record we made at the start of 2020 when you could get a 3 week turnaround on a repress. We seriously misjudged the demand for this single and pressed in two runs. This somehow got out and some people were determined to try and claim that there was a first and second pressing in an attempt to attract rarity.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

20 hours ago, Dewsburyborn said:

My view on this in regard to 'Hit and Run' label is that I simply don't solicit or accept pre-orders.  There are simply too many things that can go wrong in production and cause delays - and selfishly perhaps - I don't want to be having to take time to field enquiries about why folks haven't received their orders.

And for that reason I've taken to not announcing forthcoming releases until I actually have them shown as shipped from the factory - otherwise a mountain of orders come flying in when I've no exact date as to when I can mail out.

I guess I can take that stance having not to worry about cashflowing future releases.

That's experience from a veteran record dealer for you 😉

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just my thoughts, not meant to upset anyone, but probably will.

Re; Demo's is this not just a case of sticking a different coulor label on and selling at an increased price?

i've seen demo's and releases  come on the market the same day, my belief was vinyl Demo's were touted round in the days before mp3's and instant music on the world wide web to secure air time on radio stations ??

• Up vote 1
Social source share

i, for one, am happy with how label owners offer up new releases. I get re-worked, re-mastered, new material, never before released, etc, and for a small price, so i'm happy to pay upfront & wait for delivery. Yes, sometimes i miss out due to small pre-ordering quantity runs but other times i don't - that's just life.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Andy Brads said:

Re; Demo's is this not just a case of sticking a different coulor label on and selling at an increased price?

i've seen demo's and releases  come on the market the same day, my belief was vinyl Demo's were touted round in the days before mp3's and instant music on the world wide web to secure air time on radio stations ??

Spot on and they often stated "Not For Sale". That would really mess things up, imagine if they were banned from sale😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Andy Brads said:

2 hours ago, Andy Brads said:

topic about demos here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/422195-white-promos-of-new-releases/

best try and keep this topic to pre-order talk and use the other one for demo talk 👍

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So this is pre-order in April next year ? 

Yes the official release date is April next year. We have had to put it back a few times now due to the long vinyl delays which have changed things. We understand this is a long wait and we want to thanks our customers for being patient and understanding.

Social source share

Why can the pre order not be sold on a promise to purchase,  when in stock , send a notice to pay or no record , so far this year I've purchased 3 , still waiting for 2 , and the last one went on public sale before my copy arrived , and is still available,so was never any fear of missing out.

I know of the issues in the record plants etc , but waiting sometimes up to 6 months , hope I get a chance to play them before my grand children ,,,

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 04/11/2021 at 16:10, Amsterdam Russ said:

Ah, you beat me to it. Was going to start up a topic on this as per your suggestion.

My thoughts are that while pre-orders are potentially great for the record label (less cash outlay up-front, and paying for the pressing of the full run is then self financed by advance purchases - and, if the tunes on the 45 create a wave among punters, it's likely there will be a feeding frenzy, which can be encouragement for the label to do a re-press), too many labels now use this as a business model.

Pre-orders that ship in a couple of weeks are generally fine, but we're now at the stage where a number of labels are shipping two, three, sometime four months after purchase.  That's not on.

I wouldn't buy a record, or anything else for that matter, from, say, eBay or Discogs, on the basis that the seller is going to ship it to me in 13 weeks time.

I've bought it - I want it now... or as least as soon as the postal service can deliver it to me.

Also, if you're buying pre-orders on a regular basis, it can be difficult to keep up with what you've bought. Indeed, I've bought pre-releases a second time, having forgotten that I'd already bought it maybe six week prior. That, of course, is my problem, not the seller's.

My view is that if you've got to get the cash up front before you can make and deliver whatever it is people have paid for, then your business model is wrong - certainly from a customer perspective.

It used to be that ordering new releases in advance was quite unusual. Now it seems just about every person and their dog with a label uses the same approach. In isolation it's not a big deal, but when 'everyone' is doing it, it becomes a pain.

I don't like it.

Perfectly put !! A couple or three weeks pre-order I can stomach.. but four months !?! No feckin' way and I don't care how good a tune it might be

I wish I could get my customers to pay up front.. I'd be a fekin' millionaire

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!