Latin Soul

ImberBoy

The other day I posted a thread on Cal Tjader's brilliant Soul Sauce that was moved for lord knows what reason?

Any way I am now convinced that The Soul Source Thought Police are now watching me so I will move swiftly along to the subject of my next post.....................

Latin Soul, Cal Tjader's Soul Sauce gives you a real taste of latino vibe and there are others that have "Crossed over" from that genre to Northernsoul.

Ricardo Ray - Nitty Gritty is an absaloute peach of a track that I'm sure would make a coma patient's foot tap! Again I have never heard this played at a venue but I would love to see it get some floor time.

Shirley Ellis - The Nitty Gritty is an exellent track as well but in my opinion lacks the explosive energy as the Ricardo Ray version and I thin k it was recorded live, which one is the original I do not know? Shirley recorded the track in 1963 and Ricardo Ray in 1968 this would suggest that Shirleyn is the original but I am not convinced as it is a step away from her norm although she was regarded as a bit of a novelty act, any Shirley Ellis spotters out there?

My next Latin sound is The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow, Latino? You tell me, but I hear the beat.

Johnny Caswell - You Don't Love Me Anymore

Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle

Doug Banks - I Just Kept on Dancing

Any others or has my ear gone tits up?

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The other day I posted a thread on Cal Tjader's brilliant Soul Sauce that was moved for lord knows what reason?

Any way I am now convinced that The Soul Source Thought Police are now watching me so I will move swiftly along to the subject of my next post.....................

Latin Soul, Cal Tjader's Soul Sauce gives you a real taste of latino vibe and there are others that have "Crossed over" from that genre to Northernsoul.

Ricardo Ray - Nitty Gritty is an absaloute peach of a track that I'm sure would make a coma patient's foot tap! Again I have never heard this played at a venue but I would love to see it get some floor time.

Shirley Ellis - The Nitty Gritty is an exellent track as well but in my opinion lacks the explosive energy as the Ricardo Ray version and I thin k it was recorded live, which one is the original I do not know? Shirley recorded the track in 1963 and Ricardo Ray in 1968 this would suggest that Shirleyn is the original but I am not convinced as it is a step away from her norm although she was regarded as a bit of a novelty act, any Shirley Ellis spotters out there?

My next Latin sound is The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow, Latino? You tell me, but I hear the beat.

Johnny Caswell - You Don't Love Me Anymore

Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle

Doug Banks - I Just Kept on Dancing

How's about Mongo Santamaria "The Now Generation" gained a few spins around 73 ish.

Paul

Social source share

There was a period in the mid stafford era when a lot of Latin flavours came into vogue. Some of the tunes listed in that thread seemed to filter around the 100 club Stafford and the rest of the big nighters of that era.

Dave Flynn had a load of these at the time, I still have things like Spanish Maiden Tony Middleton, You can't run away from me The Wanderers etc etc.

Social source share

good thread mate

what about

i want a chance for romance hector rivera

my foolih heart david coleman

whip it on me baby the ojays

i love here so much it hurts david and rueben

no no no wanderers

i cried my life away tommy navarro

Social source share

Reg, just seen the Latino thread that you started and the first track you posted up

Hector Rivera - Do it to me is brilliantttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt! please post it up again.

Wow!............I have that right next to me here.....on "Barry".....great sound........I was going through my Latino stuff the other day....Isonics, Majestics, Bobby Valentine, Love Music - Sergio Mendez, Walter & the Admerations - Man o Man (sort of)

Godd thread!

:lol:

Social source share

:lol: Yes nice tread this one, ill take a look at the one posted last year ?? Anyway a bit more jazzy maybe but you wont go far wrong checking out all the 5 Kent Mod Jazz cds.. for starters.. And then the just re released sets from the FANIA label, out on cd + lp. Check selecta web site or the Notts shop. all good stuff, inc, orig re press of use it before you lose it lp, £9 , cu all, Martyn
Social source share

How about a few from Joe Bataan on the Fania label:

Joe Bataan - Es Tu Cosa (It's Your Thing)

Joe Bataan - So Young, Too Young (Ok, so it's not that latin sounding, but it's bloomin' good)

Cheers,

Rich.

And two more pure Northern tracks from Mr Bataan are "Continental Square Dance" (the original version of Laso Square by Laso but recorded in '69) and "Johnny" both on Salsoul........

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Guest Scotty73

The Johnny Caswell tune..What a cracker! :D

"Billy Hawks - Ooh baby,I believe I'm losing you.." is a bit of a fave of mine at the mo'...Also digging Willie Bobos' version of Sunshine Superman but I guess that's just the camp side of me coming out :rolleyes:

Edited by Scotty73
Social source share

Guest eedeecee

post-263-1194107865_thumb.jpg

Shirley Ellis was the original 'nitty gritty girl'. Her album on Congress also features 'the name game'... novelty maybe but a great tune nevertheless....

Latin Soul/Boogaloo on Soul Source??? Finally, thanks for the thread !

Manny Corchado -pow-wow

Joe Quijano -saboo

Cal Tjader -get out of my way (live)

Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers -heat/walk on by

Willie Rosario -wobbly blues

Willie Bobo -trinidad/spanish grease

Joe Quijano -sabbath prayer

One G + Three -poquito soul

Jack Constanzo + Gerry Woo -some kind of wonderful

Clark Terry & Chico O'Farrill -spanish rice

Bobby Valentine -song for my father

Ray Terrace -cuchy frito man (also Cal Tjader !)

Joe Torres -night walk/get out of my way

Ray Barretto -swingin shepherd's blues

Xavier Cugat -soul sauce / Phoenix love theme

Hector Rivera -drown my own heart

Esther Phillips -fever (Atlantic first version)

Cannonball Adderley -jive samba

Jack Mc Duff -sanctified samba

Chico Hamilton -conquistadores 74

Gene Ammons -jungle strut

Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers -cantaloupe island

I smell comp material...enough said

Edited by eedeecee
Social source share

How about David Coleman - Drown my heart , Sammy Ambrose- Welcome to Dreamsville? :wub:

The original latin thread of earlier this year really got me into it! My favourite is Freak Off-Larry Harlow which you can hear by clicking on my "last played" button. It really gets going towards the end! Brilliant track. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Blatant plug time, but if you're into Latin soul and Boogaloo and you're in London on Thursday I'm guesting at The Social where I'll be playing a full Latin set including most of the tunes listed above. Mark Raisin is the other guest so should be a stonkin' night.

See ya there

Warren

Thursday November 8th @ The Social,

5 Little Portland St, London W1.

Nearest Tube Oxford Circus (2/3 mins)

Social source share

He certainly doe's Ang and some mighty fine Latin tune's at that, what an awesome set he did at Bidd's, which included some of his new find's :wub:

Karen

Indeedy...and El Beggsy will be doing more of the same at Bidds Allnighter on December 22nd (well if Warrens gonna plug I might as well join in.. :g: )

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Indeedy...and El Beggsy will be doing more of the same at Bidds Allnighter on December 22nd (well if Warrens gonna plug I might as well join in.. :g: )

:thumbsup:

Not a problem, mate. They do say that plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery :wub: . Actually I'm going to hijack this again coz I'm looking for a copy of Tony Middleton's 'Return to Spanish Harlem'. Will go to £130ish for a mint copy. Anyone?

By the way Mace any of Beggsy's playlists on soul source?

Social source share

Not a problem, mate. They do say that plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery :thumbsup: . Actually I'm going to hijack this again coz I'm looking for a copy of Tony Middleton's 'Return to Spanish Harlem'. Will go to £130ish for a mint copy. Anyone?

By the way Mace any of Beggsy's playlists on soul source?

I'll ask him, but I doubt if he can remember what he did last friday, never mind what he played over 4 weeks ago mate...he is getting on a bit nowadays :wub:

Only £130 for 'Return to Spanish Harlem'

Cheapskate...I'll pay £135..... :D:g:

Social source share

Mine says LV wilson not LB is this a misspress are we taliking about the same record?

I scoured ebay , gemm , contacts for years for this and eventually when I get it its cracked!

Deffo L.B. Wilson, mine's on red Vivid. Got it late 80s off Adey Pierce. You don't se it too often, but it does surface from time to time. Happy hunting!

Rich

Social source share

I'll ask him, but I doubt if he can remember what he did last friday, never mind what he played over 4 weeks ago mate...he is getting on a bit nowadays :rolleyes:

Only £130 for 'Return to Spanish Harlem'

Cheapskate...I'll pay £135..... :lol::ohmy:

....i'll go £139 plus a fish supper

Social source share

JOHNNY RIVERA ON COTIQUE "CLOUD NINE " BEGGSY BANGS THOSE BONGOS WHEN HE HEARS THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just bought the lp with it on cant wait to listen to the8 tracks i dont know[except the title track "up up and away" balloon jokes are banned mace!!!!!!!! anything by the spanish hearts also!!!!!!

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

.....£142.38, half a dozen fresh oatcakes and a signed photo of Johnny Beggs playing the bongos :ohmy:

Final offer. £144.69 a roll-topped herring, a bag of elvers and ...........and a photo of Hoss sober (now that's rare). He would have signed it but he tried to drink the ink.

Now Mace, if you reply to this one - you really are childish :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sasquatch

How about a few from Joe Bataan on the Fania label:

Joe Bataan - Es Tu Cosa (It's Your Thing)

Joe Bataan - So Young, Too Young (Ok, so it's not that latin sounding, but it's bloomin' good)

Cheers,

Rich.

There is a recent lp (2005) out by Joe Bataan called Call My Name on this vampisoul label thats got some smokin' tracks on it. Totally vintage 70s latin goove stuff, worth checking out if he floats your boat.

Social source share

Final offer. £144.69 a roll-topped herring, a bag of elvers and ...........and a photo of Hoss sober (now that's rare). He would have signed it but he tried to drink the ink.

Now Mace, if you reply to this one - you really are childish laugh.gif

:D Can't compete with a photo of Hoss sober mate....however childish I may be :D

If anyone takes Warren up on this offer and he doesn't come up with the photo of Hoss please p.m. me as I reckon he's giving it the big one :(

Chancer... :D:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert