Post Stafford Classics

• Replies 500
  • Views 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Jimmie Reed Jr. may have got the odd spin far earlier than Stafford: it was quite a known collectors record.

A few more to add:

The Andantes That's A Funny Way

Geater Davis My Love Is So Strong For You

Lee McKinney I'll Keep Holding On

The Ascots Just A Few Feet From The Gutter

The Harmonics Can I Be Your Man

James Lately Love, Friends and Money

Darrell Banks The Harder You Love

Melvin Brown Love Stormy Weather

The Fantastcis Where There's A Will Theres A Way

Wilson Love Funny Money

stfford.....keb darge spin

Social source share

A few more obscure 60s off the top of me head which I don't see mentioned:

Richard Marks did you ever lose something

Tim & Dave Girl you're just so good to me

Homer Banks Sweetie Pie

Traditions / Parisiens

Georgettes Hard hard

Willie Feaster (Voices)

Walter Wilson "Love keeps me crying"

The slow version of Natural Four (ha ha!!!) too slow pre 85

Young ladies on Stang

Tokays "Baby baby baby"

Royal Robins "Something about you"

Chico Lamarr

From the 70s how could you forget Natural Impulse, the dreaded Papa Bear & Cubs which I am sure some people will say is good, and Willie dee "Looks like rain" - only now starting to get the credit it deserves

Steve

stafford.....spun by keb covered up as "imaginary visions"

Social source share

Thank you to everyone for all of the fantastic contributions, the info in these few pages is priceless. My intention was to initially draw attention to all the brilliant tunes that have been discovered & played since Stafford & other 8ts venues of a similar period, but we have ended up with soooooooo much more. Kebs playlist is an important piece of NS history just in its self............thank you all for keeping the politics etc out too..........dont have time right now, but I'll return later after I have thought of more tunes !!!!!!!!!!!!.............thanks to everyone & keep it up. BTW Does any official play list for Butch exist, from any period in time ????.

Russ

Social source share

Butch 2008 . Can you spot the coverups ?

4 perfections-my directions gone

little willie faulk-look into my heart

billy watson-i wish i was

voicemasters band-inst

trips-love cant be modernized

gerri baylor-its beautiful

magicians-love lets try it again

milton james-my lonely feeling

big tim & empires-your turn to be blue

celebrities-I choose you

jean carter-I wanna know

rita & tiaras-walk out of your life

belita woods-foolish girl

clara hardy-its you

arthur willis-hurting is over

roy roberts-so much in love

martha jean love-old time lover

mighty lovers-they are saying

the saints-ill let you slide

pipkin brothers-thats how much I love you

parliaments-this is my rainy day

untied four-you need love

sound of philadelphia-love keeps me tryin

jimmy gresham-this feelin I have

sandy golden-your love is everything

janine wells & communicators-with my love and what you got

diane lewis-you aint got a chance

mr lucky-born to love you

ringleaders-all of my life

lee fields-take me back

original matadors-searching for love

ice-reality

larry hobson-say whats on you mind

mixed feelings-sha-la-la

prime cut-my baby

melow madness-save the youth

little caesar-make believe

sonic explosion-we belong together

judy green-will it be me

total warmth-im in love with you baby

florence trap-love came into my life

split decision band-watchin out

apple & 3 oranges-and you know

willie d-it looks like rain

mel williams-sweet girl of mine

second ressurection-you done let daylight catch you

saints-love can be

Social source share

Whoops, that's slightly bolloxed my sleevenotes. At least they were half right. i thought 40 nights was the side to be spun early. was yours just at local dos or big uns?

I DJ'd throughout South Yorkshire right through the 70's Ady. Didn't work 'nighters' until Clifton Hall (Whenever that started? 79? / 80?)... but I played it often, initially off the LP before the Revue 45 - and only recently obtained a Gamma copy.

Also, I can't help thinking it got issued on a UK label Various Artists LP around 77. At the time I always thought it was well known. Certainly was around my part of the world.

I remember John Vincent, late 70's or early 80's turning up with a 45 Sales Box and cheeky begger Bob Steer just pipped me to a Gamma copy... for £3.

I've never forgiven him. :hypocrite:

Still in my all time Top 10 'Northern' dancers.

A beautiful record.

Sean

Social source share

Guest hudsoul

anyone mentioned Butch s TEMPTONES-THATS WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR IN LOVE :hypocrite: or was it played towards the end of STAFFORD???

or---

ENCHANTERS-THERES A LOOK ABOUT YOU[ROB MARRIOTT?]

CHARLIE HARRIS-ALL OVER TOWN[bILLY GUY C/UP.ROB MARRIOTT]

GEORGE JAY-SAY THAT YOU LOVE ME[VOLUMES C/UP..R. MARRIOTT]

DEPENDERS?-SERMON?[ANYONE KNOW OUT ABOUT THIS OLD SAUS PLAY,OLD MID 90s DYNAMIC THREE??C/UP ,,STORMER!!!]

RICHARD COOK -SOMEBODY GOTTA HELP ME[R. MARRIOTT,,DEL-TOURS C/UP]

KELLY & SOUL EXPLOSIONS-TALKING BOUT MY BABYS LOVE

Social source share

anyone mentioned Butch s TEMPTONES-THATS WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR IN LOVE :hypocrite: or was it played towards the end of STAFFORD???

or---

DEPENDERS?-SERMON?[ANYONE KNOW OUT ABOUT THIS OLD SAUS PLAY,OLD MID 90s DYNAMIC THREE??C/UP ,,STORMER!!!]

A very good list that sums up a part of the particular time under discussion really well. For a few years Rob Marriott really was cooking with gas. I think a number of his plays have yet to reach their full potential to this day.

Social source share

or---

wasn't Richard Cook an earlier spin?

Social source share

wasn't Richard Cook an earlier spin?

I think like a great many of the records under discussion here it might have got the odd play at Wigan, the Mecca or St. Ives etc. but someone didn't really get behind it 'til the post-Stafford era.

Records were definitely coming to have a longer shelf-life around this time if they were good. The quick turnover of sounds at Stafford was replaced by certain records being featured heavily for months or even years in certain playlists. I can think of a period of time lasting about ten years where it seemed impossible to go out and not hear, for example, The Trannells played by a couple of deejays. That's not a criticism, by the way, just the reality that if something was good and genuinely rare it was worth persevering with, and that while great records were and are still being unearthed, it was an illustration of the law of diminishing returns.

The dedicated record-hunters were and are becoming a smaller group: maybe you can count them in the tens these days when in the past (say at Wigan) there were literally dozens of people who could point the top deejays in the direction of fantastic unknown tunes.

Social source share

I DJ'd throughout South Yorkshire right through the 70's Ady. Didn't work 'nighters' until Clifton Hall (Whenever that started? 79? / 80?)... but I played it often, initially off the LP before the Revue 45 - and only recently obtained a Gamma copy.

Also, I can't help thinking it got issued on a UK label Various Artists LP around 77. At the time I always thought it was well known. Certainly was around my part of the world.

I remember John Vincent, late 70's or early 80's turning up with a 45 Sales Box and cheeky begger Bob Steer just pipped me to a Gamma copy... for £3.

I've never forgiven him. :hypocrite:

Still in my all time Top 10 'Northern' dancers.

A beautiful record.

Sean

Well know in the north-west as well.

£3/4 was the going rate for the Gamma copy at the time, £1/2 for a Revue copy.

Social source share

do you mean - lil woman - ronnie west -goins :thumbsup: i could be your interpreter

My memory man, you know when you cant think who sang a song or the label, its on the tip of your tongue.

Yes its black errm all black with silver letters and its has a scratch from the out side to the inside hurrm go on you know it I will sing it for you.

I mentioned it earlier mate Ronnie West-Lil Woman-Goins........was Deans Soulfay c/up late 9ts maybe ?????? deffo not Stafford.

Russ

Thanks Russ thought it was a Carl spin.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

ONE time Mecca spin Gavin, I revived at Clifton Hall, therefore pre Stafford.

Awesome double sider.

:thumbsup:

Sean

It is a great double sider, us youngsters have to ask you see :thumbsup:

Social source share

I sold this in the mid 90s to Soul Sam. I thought it was unknown at the time, but after the deal, Butch told me he had one. Not sure who he sold it to.

Interesting that this is getting mentioned within a few posts of the New Sounds LP on Turbo, as it's the exact same band and singers.

Hi

I got the Robert Tanner early 90's on a trip to states. Came from Lew Stanley. Sort of semi interesting tale associated with it. Was over with Alex Jones and the hire car was playing up. So Alex dropped me off at Lew's then went to get car sorted. I had the cheap Temptones on arctic - Lew wanted it and offered me Robert Tanner. Deal done before Alex got back! - but he did get some great tunes as well.

Sam and a few others did try and get it out of me before they secured copies a couple of years later.

Couple of others for the list

Soul Bros Inc- Salem

Minors-Lonely Boy

Chuck Vallent and the Prophets - Damon Acetate

Sophisticates - Underground Sounds

Some of Alex Jones cover-ups - Plays one called "Hangin on In" great Tune and many more.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by grumpyfella
Social source share

Certainly were, a tape went round Edinburgh at the time with that lot on it, re-living the Chesterfield (Winding Wheel?) every time I got in my car!

Couple of others from that time, probably earlier too,

Patti Austin - You'll Always Be In Style and Mary Hunt on Soul Mate, Jimmy Wensioras Alice Clark cover up.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Loved the Winding Wheel, as you say Chalks hoofin' venue !!!!.

Russ

I ran a business event here a few months back and managed to get a few pictures on my phone before we set up. Top nighter

post-1402-1220202097_thumb.jpg post-1402-1220202595_thumb.jpg post-1402-1220202609_thumb.jpg post-1402-1220202626_thumb.jpg

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Russ

Anyone who wanted to run a regular large venue, in the middle of the country more or less, this is the place. Main hall around 700 and upstairs 400. Another room for about 150 and another room for chillin or whatever. I don't know anywhere better to be honest.

Back in Chesterfield on Tuesday, might pop in and see how they feel about an all-nighter again.

Hope you've compiled the definitive list of all these post Stafford tracks Russ :)whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Russ

Anyone who wanted to run a regular large venue, in the middle of the country more or less, this is the place. Main hall around 700 and upstairs 400. Another room for about 150 and another room for chillin or whatever. I don't know anywhere better to be honest.

Back in Chesterfield on Tuesday, might pop in and see how they feel about an all-nighter again.

Hope you've compiled the definitive list of all these post Stafford tracks Russ :)whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I don't know anywhere better to be honest.

Imagine Lifeline in the upstairs room Chalky, how good would that be :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest hudsoul

great thread this,,full of top info,,,thought of a few more ,,some may be border line????-

WILLIE WADE-WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE

LEWIS CLARKE-I NEED YOUR LOVING SO BAD

NOLAN PORTER-IF I COULD ONLY BE SURE[sAUS FIRST??]

CHEQUES -DEEPER[bUTCH-DAVE NEWMAN C/UP/]

TED TAYLOR-SOMEBODYS ALWAYS TRYING

BIG DADDY RODGERS

TROY MARRS-RHYTHM MESSAGE[COLIN LAW-WILLIE G AND MAGICAL RHYTHM BAND C/UP]

BERKSHIRE SEVEN -STOP[MEL WYNN C/UP?]

PARAMOUNT FOUR-YOU DONT KNOW[bRADY-LOST SOULS C/UP]

SIR CEASER-SHOW ME THE TIME

TSU TORNADOES-PLEASE HEART DONT BREAK

TSU TORNADOES-I STILL LOVE YOU

ARCHIE BELL-A THOUSAND WONDERS

CHARLIE RICH-DONT TURN ME DOWN

BOBBY ADAMS/BETTY LOU-DR TRUE LOVE[post STAFFORD???????]

PATRINELL STATEN

CLARENCE TOWNSEND-I FOUND ANEW LOVE[iON-CHARLES BRANDY C/UP]

SHANDELLS-YOU GOT TO LOVE HER

SUNLINERS-ALL ALONE

ANGELA & GROUP-FOR YOUR LOVE[DEAN ANDERSON-FOUR VOICES C/UP]

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

'Think It Over' The Chesterfields

I asked Butch about this at the Central Bank Holiday niter in Leeds a couple of years ago and I'm sure he told me he played it at Stafford around 86

Got this one wrong, I asked Mark about this on Saturday at Lifeline and he corrected me, he started playing this in 1990, so not a Stafford tune.

Social source share

great thread this,,full of top info,,,thought of a few more ,,some may be border line????-

WILLIE WADE-WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE

LEWIS CLARKE-I NEED YOUR LOVING SO BAD

NOLAN PORTER-IF I COULD ONLY BE SURE[sAUS FIRST??]

CHEQUES -DEEPER[bUTCH-DAVE NEWMAN C/UP/]

TED TAYLOR-SOMEBODYS ALWAYS TRYING

BIG DADDY RODGERS

TROY MARRS-RHYTHM MESSAGE[COLIN LAW-WILLIE G AND MAGICAL RHYTHM BAND C/UP]

BERKSHIRE SEVEN -STOP[MEL WYNN C/UP?]

PARAMOUNT FOUR-YOU DONT KNOW[bRADY-LOST SOULS C/UP]

SIR CEASER-SHOW ME THE TIME

TSU TORNADOES-PLEASE HEART DONT BREAK

TSU TORNADOES-I STILL LOVE YOU

ARCHIE BELL-A THOUSAND WONDERS

CHARLIE RICH-DONT TURN ME DOWN

BOBBY ADAMS/BETTY LOU-DR TRUE LOVE[post STAFFORD???????]

PATRINELL STATEN

CLARENCE TOWNSEND-I FOUND ANEW LOVE[iON-CHARLES BRANDY C/UP]

SHANDELLS-YOU GOT TO LOVE HER

SUNLINERS-ALL ALONE

ANGELA & GROUP-FOR YOUR LOVE[DEAN ANDERSON-FOUR VOICES C/UP]

:huh:

Ted Taylor was Roger Stewart at the 100 Club via Pete Wid, i think they were responsible for Esther Phillips Just Say goodbye.

Have we had the Antellects,

Annabel Fox

Johnny Maestro

Kurt Harris

Platters Not My Girl

Sensations Demanding Man

Hytones both Good News and Runaway Girl?

Social source share

Ted Taylor was Roger Stewart at the 100 Club via Pete Wid, i think they were responsible for Esther Phillips Just Say goodbye.

Annabel Fox

Johnny Maestro

Kurt Harris

Platters Not My Girl

Sensations Demanding Man

I mentioned it earlier, as its one of my fave 100 Club tunes, I wasnt sure about JM, so Im pleased youve confirmed that Ady & of course who could forget the brill Hytones................also has anyone mentioned the San Franciscan TKO's...........whoa choon,........also Nancy Wilcox - Gamblers Blues.........................the 100 Club's contributions in them selves are almost endless. I also find it incredible that, some of the tunes are virtually only known to the 100 Club crowd, speak to almost anyone else & theyre in the dark over some of the best NS ever to have graced the decks..............

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Annabel Fox

Johnny Maestro

Kurt Harris

Platters Not My Girl

Sensations Demanding Man

Mentioned Kurt Harris Ady and was told Stafford for Ady Pountain and Keith Minshull.

Social source share

Ady: I'm pretty sure you would have played both Johnny Maestro and The Platters when guesting as Stafford itself, but no doubt that both went on to be monsters in the post-Stafford period. I'm sure someone will also say that Demanding Man was spun somewhere earlier than when it took off for Kitch in the early 90s.

I've also got a sneaking suspicion that Kurt Harris was known far earlier in the scene's history than when it started to go big at the 100 Club.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert