Funky Northern

Guest bedge

• Replies 174
  • Views 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Richard Knight / Showstopper has got the funk edge, but most of these tunes are funky dance tracks with a soulful vocal, myself dont like the term funky northern, cuz it aint:thumbsup:

Very valid point Tim.. Funky Northern - contradiction in terms maybe maybe not.

But definitions are always difficult to nail down.

Maybe Soulful Funk or probably better Funky Soul..

The Richard Knight is more in the vein of what some may be term Funk Northern in the same way as World Column or Case of Tyme..

But tunes like Grace 'Inside Your Dreams' - which is f88in brilliant imho - can't possiblty be given that tag.

Either end up, diversity is good for all - keeps it interesting.

ATB

Greg.

Social source share

To try & help with the initial question Keb Darges Deep Funk Comps might be a good place to start, altho not all tracks could be called Funky Northern, also try some of Wrighty's Comps too.......failing that you'll need a friendly collector/DJ type to knock you something up, or get ya self out to one of the more 'Up Front' Nighters, most DJ's are playing at least a few tunes that might be classed as FN.

A whole set of this kinda thing,is too full on for me personally, although I love the sound & welcome the addition of this hard hitting, gritty soul mixed in sensibly with everything else.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Richard Knight / Showstopper has got the funk edge, but most of these tunes are funky dance tracks with a soulful vocal, myself dont like the term funky northern, cuz it aint:thumbsup:

Been playing Richard Knight at Move On :D

I like the term funk edged soul myself.

What's popular at the moment is certainly nothing like that self indulgent over blown stuff in the Funkadelic vein. Much more uptempo and harder edged and a good thing too. :D

Social source share

What about the Isley Brothers - Livin' In The Life? I heard it at St.Ives in 1977 (Ginger) and I think it's a good example of the 'funk encroachment' of that time.

People lapped up records like Babe Ruth, Black Nasty, Today's People etc, but by contrast the dancefloor reaction seemed mute to

Livin' In The Life, maybe it was considered taking the Funk thing a bit too far? I've never really understood how Manifesto has

been filed under 'Funk' either. When Colin Curtis came to Peterborough late 76, he and the people that came with him were subjected to flicked

doggends throughout his set. In the end he relented, asking them what they wanted to hear/dance to and someone shouted Manifesto.

This lot, perceived as a bunch of retrogrades by the Mecca crowd, would never have knowingly requested a Funk record, Christ no!

When he left the decks, Brian Rae took over, playing 'Waterfall' and 'Like Adam & Eve', which had them flocking back to the floor.

That was the first time I saw real division in the ranks, at least on my home turf. We're all friends now though... :-)

Social source share

More power to this kind of stuff. I don't know a single one of Karl's set listed at the top of the page but I'd love to hear them.

It was Paul's set, not Karl's but believe me, Karl plays stuff that I cream my pants to and flit around like that funky Dodo :D

Social source share

Paul Sadot played 2 sets of Soul in the freestyle room at Rugby last night with many having that funky edge and WOW every tune hit the spot for me, i dont think ive ever been so glued to a room in aticipation hearing what was coming next :lol: the fella before him called Jason played some fooking great stuff too and if this is where the scene is heading then im certainly looking forward to the journey :thumbsup:

Social source share

Paul Sadot played 2 sets of Soul in the freestyle room at Rugby last night with many having that funky edge and WOW every tune hit the spot for me, i dont think ive ever been so glued to a room in aticipation hearing what was coming next :lol: the fella before him called Jason played some fooking great stuff too and if this is where the scene is heading then im certainly looking forward to the journey :thumbsup:

Sacred Four brilliant by Paul Sadot last night.

back to the thread here's an old school funky northern..played first by...Curtis?Levine?Manship?Raistrick?.My money's on Curtis.Lifeline revival for Cliff i think.

prince george - wrong crowd -

..and some new school....

betty brewton - heavy heavy lovin' -

Social source share

Pin ya ears back.:D

Mecca spin as well as for Sam.Got this in 75 hung onto it till 95.Played it to 2 vg+ friends,1 had forgot it (no names),the other didn't seem it think it was worth reviving.Sold it to...?

btw ,the Spaceark guys sometimes lurk on here so be nice..:lol: .I want one again..anyone?

Social source share

OK then Webby, I'll stick my neck out with these three :-

Rudy Love - Sufferin' Wrath

Billy Byrd - Lost in a Crowd

Ricky Allen - Cut You Loose (the version on Tampoo)

Last two are definitely on Refosoul, and that nice Mr Croasdell has put Rudy Love on Kent's recent "Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities Vol 4", along with a more mid-tempo funky tune Salt & Pepper's "Man of My Word"

All top tunes, IMHO!

I really like that Billy Byrd....lovely sound....is that around as on a 45 ?

Super stuff.....

I see its kinda expensive.... anyone know if its on a CD ?

Edited by Regalian
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

also came out under different artsist name - his nickname 'Shine' - same label number

is this exactly the same as the al robinson

blimmin love it

prime example of the style (i think) people are aiming towards in this thread

Social source share

funky northerrn = southern soul :lol:

well in a lot of cases anyway.......

Wrong kind of funky northern Dylan. I think the type of stuff the orig poster meant was the faster stuff with 'tighten up' style rhythm guitar, shuffling 'funky' drummer style drum beats (not 4x4 northern 'classic' beat), busy bass lines, lots of brass lines and general high excitement captured in the grooves. Definately NOT your Memphis funky soul plodder type of tune.

Jordi

Social source share

Heres a few clips of very varying tracks. I think the term 'funk' in any context , even when followed by soul, scares traditionalists. Its an innappropriate term really. But, will have to do i guess!

Paul Sadot - Funky Soul Mix -

Edited by chalky
mp3's not allowed as per site rules/terms/conditions etc etc. Please use refosoul.
Social source share

Wrong kind of funky northern Dylan. I think the type of stuff the orig poster meant was the faster stuff with 'tighten up' style rhythm guitar, shuffling 'funky' drummer style drum beats (not 4x4 northern 'classic' beat), busy bass lines, lots of brass lines and general high excitement captured in the grooves. Definately NOT your Memphis funky soul plodder type of tune.

Jordi

if you took the last sentance out your reply I think we are saying the same thing. Loads of southern is exactly what you have said in the first part.

busy, brass, high excitement, funky drums, rhythm guitar.

I wasn't realy suggestign the slower plodding type records.

or is there funky northern and funky northern both which are very different :lol:

its all just music to me.

Social source share

Heres a few clips of very varying tracks. I think the term 'funk' in any context , even when followed by soul, scares traditionalists. Its an innappropriate term really. But, will have to do i guess!

Hallelujah!

Talk less, play more... loved all of these Paul :lol:

Social source share

Kae Williams - Our Love Is Dying - Unissued

Danial maddison - It Doesn't Matter Baby - Transnational

Sir Joe - Nobody Beats My Love - Ru-Jac

Ralph Jackson - I Can't LEave Your Love Alone - Rajac

Joe McKeever - Dance With Me - AMS

Jimmy Jules - The New Year - Jim Gem

Hopkins Brothers - Shake Sheri - Magnetic

Eddie Daniels - Is He Better Than Me - Boots

Emory & Dynamics - Lets RTake A Look - Peachtree

Four Dynamics - Things That A Lady Ain't Supposed To Do - Peachtree

Tommy & Derbys - Don't Play The Role - Swing

Johnny Praye - Can't Get Too Much Love - Sidewalk

King Cobras - I Thank You Baby - Sen Town

Proffs - I Look At You - Curr

Proffs - There Was A Woman - Curr

Thelma Wilson - Do You Understand - Lou Neita

Tiaras - Surprise/Foolish Girl - Op Art

Soul Sounds Unl - The Word Called Love - June

Sensations - Demanding Man - Way out

Harvey Scales - Trackdown - Magic Touch

Richard Marks - Did You Ever Lose Something - Tuska

Roy Roberts - So Much In Love - Sugar

Wally Coco - Message To Society - Florentine

Cosmos Universal Band - Third Eye - Atteriam

Clay Brown - Why You Want To Change Part 1 - Florentine

Promatics - Think I'm Gonna Let You Go - Brown Door

Grooms - Slow - Shiptown

Icemen - (You've Got A) Style Of Your Own - Vest

Im sure Karl played Wally Coco Message to society at last lifeline

Social source share

If not I am sure Andy Dyson will have played it. Its him, Arthur Fenn and me playing it as far as I know. Fabulous tune and currently on ebay as it seems the guy selling it had not received the right offer via Soul Source..

Nothing like blowing your own trumpet Marc.lol

I'm sure plenty of others have been playing this for a few years now.

It's good but not as good as the price tag some people are quoting for it!

That's why its on ebay ,copies are turning up.

Social source share

If not I am sure Andy Dyson will have played it. Its him, Arthur Fenn and me playing it as far as I know. Fabulous tune and currently on ebay as it seems the guy selling it had not received the right offer via Soul Source..

I was first playing it in Uk (at DDA) .for last 3 years in UK! Then Dave Rippoles! We were playing it exclusively during that period.

Sold it now its getting hammered.

Your a tad behind Marc.yes.gif

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Loads of people playing it Marc. Sorry to burst your balloon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

"Heres a few clips of very varying tracks. I think the term 'funk' in any context , even when followed by soul, scares traditionalists. Its an innappropriate term really. But, will have to do i guess!

Paul Sadot - Funky Soul Mix - "

To be fair, as much as i think Gamith is an awesome record, its got to be classed as out and out funk hasn't it? and i'm not surprised it scares people in soul nights off! But if you can get away with it good funking work! Fab 45 hatsoff2.gif

Also a big fan of the Cosmic Universal Band style tracks......the quality of the production in stuff like this is second to none. Actually quite an exciting time for the scene if more 45s of this form are played!

Cesar's Allstars anyone?!ph34r.gif

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Nothing like blowing your own trumpet Marc.lol

I'm sure plenty of others have been playing this for a few years now.

It's good but not as good as the price tag some people are quoting for it!

That's why its on ebay ,copies are turning up.

The thing about this 45 is its funky but still has a strong repetitive 70's beat that most soul clubs can deal with. Faster, breakier funk cuts are where traditionalists tend to switch off i would imagine?

Social source share

"Heres a few clips of very varying tracks. I think the term 'funk' in any context , even when followed by soul, scares traditionalists. Its an innappropriate term really. But, will have to do i guess!

Paul Sadot - Funky Soul Mix - "

To be fair, as much as i think Gamith is an awesome record, its got to be classed as out and out funk hasn't it? and i'm not surprised it scares people in soul nights off! But if you can get away with it good funking work! Fab 45 hatsoff2.gif

Yes, got away with it a few times as does Big George. Depends on the atmosphere of the venue. For instance 'Soul or Nothing' has room for it. Tastes are changing and Gamith is a solid soulful funk track with infectuos pull. It is more on the funk side though.

Social source share

I was first playing it in Uk (at DDA) .for last 3 years in UK! Then Dave Rippoles! We were playing it exclusively during that period.

Sold it now its getting hammered.

Your a tad behind Marc.yes.gif

well nth wrong with being behind as long as its you that is in front...as you indeed know your funk`n´soul and are one of the connisseurs thats for sure !

Social source share

Yes, got away with it a few times as does Big George. Depends on the atmosphere of the venue. For instance 'Soul or Nothing' has room for it. Tastes are changing and Gamith is a solid soulful funk track with infectuos pull. It is more on the funk side though.

like you say Paul depends on the venue, the atmosphere and the open to something different the crowd is. George set pretty well received at Lifeline when we was at Bidds, doubt it would be received as well elsewhere at 4.00am, not a full hour anyway. I doubt a full hour of this would be well received at any all-nighter at this moment in time, not in the main room?

Social source share

It was probably Sam who spun it at Lifeline, he has been spinning it around the country for a while, as have a few others.

Social source share

:ohmy: Strange actualy...I always liked tunes that had a bit of a funky edge...but I couldn't bear a lot of the modern tunes. Like it all now though to be honest...much less selective.

3 funkyish oldies i've been enjoying at home recently ;

Bobby Patterson - If You Took A Survey / Right On Jody

Bobby Porter - I've Been Working / You Never Know Who Your Friends Are

Jerry Washington - Set Your Soul On Fire / Let Me Get Close To You

All good 2 siders...& cheap as chips ! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It was probably Sam who spun it at Lifeline, he has been spinning it around the country for a while, as have a few others.

Yes, Sam has had it the last 6 months. I remember first night he played it in a big room. Think Arthur followed him. Then marc.

I actually heard it 5 years ago from Callum in Australia and took me 2 years to secure one after that. As i said, I had a good 3 years out of it in the small rooms. Good to see it transfer into the big venues at last.

Social source share

Dynamic Corvettes

What's the selling rate for this one at present?

Seen it at varying prices, but what would make a copy sell?

:thumbsup:

seen for anything between 250 up to 500 UKP.

That's a huge variation...nowadays is it fair to say discs can have three 'values':

1. Book Guide

2. Auction/Popsike results

3. Allnighter/Forum price

...or is #3 a myth?

:D:lol:

Social source share

If you say so I will believe you Nev...top horn player that you are :thumbsup:

Touch'ee Marc

I think you'll find I am a fiddle player,whereas it was you who alerted everyone to the ebay copy,which makes you a horn player.lol

And being a cynical type,I think I know your reason,but that's your prerogative

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert