Record Rooms

Well looks like we'll be moving house soon & I may finally get the Record Room I've been after, not just a vinyl storeage space which I have now, but a proper room. This will be a space for not only storeage, but for myself & friends to lounge & listen to records. Whilst it wont be huge, I would like decks,contemporary furniture, memoreabilia, reference books etc, etc..........it will also mean I can enjoy my records at any time without disturbing the rest of the Vickers clan !!!...........I have loads of ideas. although a limited budget to work with, anyhoo got me to thinking what others may have done with thier record rooms & it might also give me some inspiration as well as being very interesting........

So get posting those pics of your record rooms & lets see if I can gain some ideas.........

MODS if I have posted in the wrong area please move as you see fit thx

Best Russ

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not quite what you're looking for but this is the only corner of my room I'd be happy to show as the rest is a tip, in this tiny room I have:

a jukebox

a 40" tv

a surround sound system including 6 speakers

a pc

an apple mac

8 dj boxes full of records

3 large bookshelves full of records and cd's

a deck, an amp, a tape to tape, and a deck with a built in cd recorder

an office chair and an easy chair for when I watch football

meanwhile I have a shed with a dozen more dj boxes full of non soul and reggae records which I can't fit into my record room because I have so much electrical crap in here.

post-1893-040767400 1286447813_thumb.jpg557a946add8cf_post-1893-0407674001286447

Social source share

my record room is now the nursery for our second nipper.

everything is packed away and stored.

I have 1 x technics 1210 and an amp next to my bed and a small selection of records next to it.

Sadly the same with me. My third child took, what I thought was a perfect sized record room and my wife shot down the idea that she shared with either her elder brother or sister, so sadly eveything is stored away in the loft :yes: , with a few tunes stored under my bed.

Social source share

On 10/7/2010 at 11:37, Pete S said:

Not quite what you're looking for but this is the only corner of my room I'd be happy to show as the rest is a tip, in this tiny room I have:

Nice jukebox, Pete. Can I have 5 selections for 50p ?

:yes:

Social source share

I work from home a lot so my record room has been spoiled by boxes and music / audio equipment etc. I also have a big walk-in cupboard downstairs which I racked out for 45s but again it's full of more boxes, equipment, master tapes, fax machine, laser printer etc. ...why are things so big???

I'm gonna move all business stuff to my office / studio in the town so I can have a "proper" record room at home again. Just for records, CDs and books.

It's only big enough for a couple of people but that's no problem because I don't have many friends !

Social source share

Not exactly, but you can have 5 Spiele for 1, DM :yes:

it's German..

Wow, I didn't realise you were so cosmopolitan !

...I'll need to visit the bureau de change before I visit your house

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Mine's a record house biggrin.gif i need a shed !! sad.gif

Ken, you can rent my garden shed. You can cram it full of 45s and visit them as often as you like. :yes:

Social source share

Ken, you can rent my garden shed. You can cram it full of 45s and visit them as often as you like. :yes:

In an ideal world - and in Lady B's - all my records , books and CDs should be up in our loft conversion , which was created for that purpose .

In reality , the majority of them are in our dining room ...... bugger climbing up the ladder :yes:

Malc

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

my record room is now the nursery for our second nipper.

everything is packed away and stored.

I have 1 x technics 1210 and an amp next to my bed and a small selection of records next to it.

Little 'un's already claimed the record room for her exclusive future use. She keeps coming in and dropping not terribly subtle hints along the lines of 'I'm going to put the bed over there when you move the records into my room, dad' - 'her room' being the tiny third bedroom that used to be my record room until I outgrew it many years back.

When she does take over the room (as she undoubtedly will) I guess that's my lot as a record collector. Can't put 'em in the attic or the garage as they're both full already.

I'm planning to enjoy it while it lasts, though! :yes:

Social source share

Little 'un's already claimed the record room for her exclusive future use. She keeps coming in and dropping not terribly subtle hints along the lines of 'I'm going to put the bed over there when you move the records into my room, dad' - 'her room' being the tiny third bedroom that used to be my record room until I outgrew it many years back.

When she does take over the room (as she undoubtedly will) I guess that's my lot as a record collector. Can't put 'em in the attic or the garage as they're both full already.

I'm planning to enjoy it while it lasts, though! :yes:

I'll make a bit of space & look after them for you Tone:hatsoff2:

Al

Social source share

I have the 'box' room (i.e. the smallest room in the house) for my music room.

My top tip would be to get some bespoke shelving for your room to make the most of the space you have as opposed to lots of boxes on the floor etc.

This may be a little expensive i know but it's worth it in the long run as you'll fit a LOT more vinyl and it will look the business

so you'll be inclined to spend a lot more time in it. :thumbsup:

Best of luck with it and here's to many 'lost' hours. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have the 'box' room (i.e. the smallest room in the house) for my music room.

My top tip would be to get some bespoke shelving for your room to make the most of the space you have as opposed to lots of boxes on the floor etc.

This may be a little expensive i know but it's worth it in the long run as you'll fit a LOT more vinyl and it will look the business

so you'll be inclined to spend a lot more time in it. :thumbsup:

Best of luck with it and here's to many 'lost' hours. :thumbsup:

Dont think it's too expensive. You can even make it yourself if you're hands on. About two years ago I helped my dad making a bookshelf and it was perfect size for LPs.

Social source share

On 10/7/2010 at 12:11, Jonno said:

Here you go Russ, this is what you can do with a budget of millions.

Note the peeling wallpaper and 2nd hand carpet, class:rolleyes:

Best,

Johnny.

Glad to see the Backstreet Flyer found a good home and pride of place on the wall.

Mark Chamberlin would be very proud (his art work):thumbsup:

Cheers Frank (Norwich Backstreet soul club);

Social source share

Will your new record room be on the ground floor or will it be upstairs? In my first house I had my record room on the second floor and the floor sank about one centimetre during my years in that house. I am mainly a collector of LPs (also 45s and CD) and the weight of my massive collection was too much for the floor. Also in my third home, a flat, the floor sank a bit.

Currently I am redecorating and refurbishing my home, so my records are in a disarray at the moment, which is why it would be unwise of me to take a photo and post on here. But I do have a large record room crammed with LPs and CDs stored (normally in strict alphabetical order) in bookshelves and on top of those bookshelves I have boxes (all the same colour) with my 45s in them. Used to also have other music-related items in there, such as music books/magazines/videos/DVDs etc. in the same room, but had to move them due to lack of space. Once it´s time for me to restore my record room again and get it back in perfect order I´m planning on placing my old computer in there too, I don´t even need to have it connected to the Internet, just planning on having it permanently connected with my USB-turntable, since I rip lots of vinyl as I often need it in digital format too and I can save it directly to my external harddrive, which can then easily be connected to my other computer which will be connected to the Internet for me to easily share some of my tunes with fellow net-based soulies.

You can cram lots of records into a room and turn it into an archive, or can can make it a bit more cosy and welcoming, buy putting up curtains, some flowers, comfortable chairs etc, it all comes down to the size of the room, the size of your record collection and whether you want to spend a lot of quality time in that room, or just go there to pick up a record and then go into another room to play it. It´s always good to have some sort of listening facilities in the record room and some headphones as not to disturb your family members or close neighbours.

Social source share

Will your new record room be on the ground floor or will it be upstairs? In my first house I had my record room on the second floor and the floor sank about one centimetre during my years in that house. I am mainly a collector of LPs (also 45s and CD) and the weight of my massive collection was too much for the floor. Also in my third home, a flat, the floor sank a bit.

Currently I am redecorating and refurbishing my home, so my records are in a disarray at the moment, which is why it would be unwise of me to take a photo and post on here. But I do have a large record room crammed with LPs and CDs stored (normally in strict alphabetical order) in bookshelves and on top of those bookshelves I have boxes (all the same colour) with my 45s in them. Used to also have other music-related items in there, such as music books/magazines/videos/DVDs etc. in the same room, but had to move them due to lack of space. Once it´s time for me to restore my record room again and get it back in perfect order I´m planning on placing my old computer in there too, I don´t even need to have it connected to the Internet, just planning on having it permanently connected with my USB-turntable, since I rip lots of vinyl as I often need it in digital format too and I can save it directly to my external harddrive, which can then easily be connected to my other computer which will be connected to the Internet for me to easily share some of my tunes with fellow net-based soulies.

You can cram lots of records into a room and turn it into an archive, or can can make it a bit more cosy and welcoming, buy putting up curtains, some flowers, comfortable chairs etc, it all comes down to the size of the room, the size of your record collection and whether you want to spend a lot of quality time in that room, or just go there to pick up a record and then go into another room to play it. It´s always good to have some sort of listening facilities in the record room and some headphones as not to disturb your family members or close neighbours.

Brilliant - thank you for your reply, I'm gonna be on the ground floor, my wife thinks we've we're going to have a dining room ph34r.gif .........just waiting for the right moment to let her know the good news about the record room, I know she will be over the moon :thumbsup:, but as we're having a large conservatory build, that'll be a dining room too, so I'm sure she'll come around to my way of thinking:yes: , especially as she will no longer have to compromise her TV schedule due to my record playing activities..............if I had my way I'd bin the TV & the whole lounge would be the record room lol !.

Thank you for posting on this.

Best Russ

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

In my record room of the future, I'd definitely like some of these canvases on the wall...

557a9537cab8a_post-8338-0002836001287491

Damned expensive, but look ace

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/supersizeart/product/supersized-3d-print-construction-of-walk-away-renee-single-by-the-four-tops

On a more practical note, Ikea's Expedit bookcases are a great size for LPs. This size is only 80 quid in 4 different colourways and you can get all sorts of drawers, dividers & doors for it if you want.

557a9537e4ffb_post-8338-0956114001287491

Tidy Tee xx

Social source share

On 10/19/2010 at 13:39, theresa said:

In my record room of the future, I'd definitely like some of these canvases on the wall...

Damned expensive, but look ace

On a more practical note, Ikea's Expedit bookcases are a great size for LPs. This size is only 80 quid in 4 different colourways and you can get all sorts of drawers, dividers & doors for it if you want.

Tidy Tee xx

Hi Tee

I think their complete Expedit range is great.

Dave

Social source share

IKEA Billy bookcases for me, cheap but quality! (And they don't sag under the weight!

Mine do sag, but probably because I am mainly a collector of LPs,

I also collect 45s, but they don´t weigh as much of course...lol...

The shelves sag and the floor does a little bit as well! Better be careful.

On the other hand the Billy bookshelves are cheap and "neutral" looking

whereas some solid factory/garage-like shelves aren´t that nice to have in a home.

Greetings from IKEA land Sweden

Mel

Social source share

Sadly the same with me. My third child took, what I thought was a perfect sized record room and my wife shot down the idea that she shared with either her elder brother or sister, so sadly eveything is stored away in the loft :D , with a few tunes stored under my bed.

On the other side of the arguement.....................................my eldest went to Uni, so her big bedroom is now my new record room and she's now got my one :thumbsup:

All those given your rooms up for kiddies - All you all have to do is wait another 18 years and you can get your rooms back, so hang in there yes.gif

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

I converted my loft 18 yrs ago just by putting in a velox window and flooring ,ply wood all the sides and jobs done blue tacked loads of 45,s on the walls, flyers pics ect ect

at one time i had thousands of 45,s lyin around in boxes got rid of most of those and just left with around 1000 + around 350 good albums and some great rarish books on black music.... some of the record deals what have been done in my loft are legendary he he... Only thing thats missing is a microwave--fridge and toilet then i would never hav to come down only to go work, fishing and soulin !!!

Social source share

On the other side of the arguement.....................................my eldest went to Uni, so her big bedroom is now my new record room and she's now got my one :thumbsup:

All those given your rooms up for kiddies - All you all have to do is wait another 18 years and you can get your rooms back, so hang in there yes.gif

Cheers

Steve

Great thought that Steve - I'd move my rec ord room up to my eldest daughters room as she has just gone to Uni - only problem is I can't afford to buy any more records!!! Just wait til the fees go up for the next on and then the next!!! The nightmare is only just beginning.

Best Adam

Social source share

On 10/19/2010 at 14:01, Dave Thorley said:

Hi Tee

I think their complete Expedit range is great.

Dave

Hark at us, talking storage solutions! Times were when we were wild children Dave :thumbsup:

I found that Lazzari's rather funky flexible drawers fit neatly into Ikea's Expedit bookcase, and keep the dust off the LPs wink.gif

557a9540a9c2e_post-8338-0090340001287519557a9540c1b34_post-8338-0512955001287519557a9540d0f21_post-8338-0385506001287519

Social source share

On 10/19/2010 at 21:23, theresa said:

Hark at us, talking storage solutions! Times were when we were wild children Dave :thumbsup:

I found that Lazzari's rather funky flexible drawers fit neatly into Ikea's Expedit bookcase, and keep the dust off the LPs wink.gif

Yes how times change, but like the funky bags

Dave

Social source share

Well looks like we'll be moving house soon & I may finally get the Record Room I've been after, not just a vinyl storeage space which I have now, but a proper room. This will be a space for not only storeage, but for myself & friends to lounge & listen to records. Whilst it wont be huge, I would like decks,contemporary furniture, memoreabilia, reference books etc, etc..........it will also mean I can enjoy my records at any time without disturbing the rest of the Vickers clan !!!...........I have loads of ideas. although a limited budget to work with, anyhoo got me to thinking what others may have done with thier record rooms & it might also give me some inspiration as well as being very interesting........

So get posting those pics of your record rooms & lets see if I can gain some ideas.........

MODS if I have posted in the wrong area please move as you see fit thx

Best Russ

Hi ya Russ,

Well you've seen my record room. What you didn't see was me clearing out all the toys and washing before you came round! - That's the challenge keeping the Clan out! :thumbsup: - Maybe get a lock on it mate? lol.

Laters,

Len.

"I am playing the right records, but not necessarily in the right order!!!"

Social source share

Hi ya Russ,

Well you've seen my record room. What you didn't see was me clearing out all the toys and washing before you came round! - That's the challenge keeping the Clan out! :thumbsup: - Maybe get a lock on it mate? lol.

Laters,

Len.

"I am playing the right records, but not necessarily in the right order!!!"

I'll be honest Len, the inspiration actually came initially from seeing your record room & I have hankered after a room similar since, the nice thing with your room being, its a space were you & mates can chill & really enjoy the experience, I particularly want a glass coffee table too :) .........its important for me to not only have storeage, but to have a space to listen & enjoy too.

Hope you & Nina are well.

Russ x

Social source share

really usefull box co for me means you can stack them and protected from dust etc has shelves to go with them but the boxes are tough and approx a tenner each holds 90 lps

18ltr large hols approx 200 45s.

The 'large shape' 9ltr ones are great for 45's as has been mentioned on here before..check out local Maplins for them, bargain prices if they stock them.

Also... Deconomix storage, its not cheap but worth it, I pushed the boat out on it when I moved a few years ago and worth the investment I think.

I like these photo's being posted as I'm a right nosey get !

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Thank you for all the replies & advise & pics so far, the Deconomix gear looks amazing, I cant access the area for the prices tho'......gonna be at least the New Year before I can get started on the project, but lots offood forthought so far.

Russ

cant go wrong with deconomix russ, had mine about 7 years now and i lurve it

Social source share

Very nice........ but i'd hate to be one of your kids when you snuff it...How much is a skip round your way? lol

what do you mean? my records are my kids :thumbup: (there are also LPs & CDs all through the hallway & in the lounge & I've actually been culling extensively the last few years :wub: )

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

not shown: masive black couch stretching along a wall & wardrobe door on another wall :D

I've got to ask but being that organised and tidy, are you a Virgo man by any chance...:yes:

That would be my idea of heaven having ours that organised...:thumbup:...Altho I would prefer the CDs on their sides for easy access...:yes:

I picked up some decks of evil bay and they threw in one of those Deconomix storage units, not bad at all but they are made for 12"s and we are mainly 7" in this house...:wub:

Social source share

Saggitarius. It's actually a bit messier as of a few nights ago because the kid has been rummaging through the CDs trying to find stuff to add to her ipod. The best move ever for the 45s was getting them out of boxes & onto shelves, having most of that stuff in stacked cardboard boxes did my head in. But now it's all alphabetical & much easier to find 45s. Still there's only about 6000 45s there, which is a manageable size, moving house is a pain though even with just a small to medium size collection like this.

Social source share

On 10/20/2010 at 22:12, Kris Holmes said:

Saggitarius. It's actually a bit messier as of a few nights ago because the kid has been rummaging through the CDs trying to find stuff to add to her ipod. The best move ever for the 45s was getting them out of boxes & onto shelves, having most of that stuff in stacked cardboard boxes did my head in. But now it's all alphabetical & much easier to find 45s. Still there's only about 6000 45s there, which is a manageable size, moving house is a pain though even with just a small to medium size collection like this.

Hey Kris, impressively tidy! I was going to ask the same thing as Sian - bet you've got Virgo rising, ooer :wub: PM me your time & date of birth & I'll cast your chart :yes:

The moral of the story is, get a Gemini bird to plan & design your room for maximum comfort & style. Get a Virgo bloke (like Len, above) to painstakingly put everything into alphabetical colour-coded categories, cross-referenced by genre, date, popularity, condition, price, value & anything else you can think of :thumbup:

I am available for commissions, currently in the planning stage for a northern DJ. The first item of storage going into his room is one of these... :yes:

557a954b12658_post-8338-0413583001287609

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert