Do You Think People Go Out Of Thier Way To Buy Records That Have Similar Sounding Names To Themselves?

Guest soulmaguk

Guest soulmaguk

Do you think people go out of thier way to buy records that have similar sounding names to themselves? For instance a friends name is Tony, just noticed he has at the front of his box recent buys such as Tony talent, El Anthony, others include Tony Middleton, probably got others also. Another friend who's name is Byers recently purchased a Vonceil Myers. Do you think there is a connection, my name is Jock Mitchell..!! but I have just been eyeing this up - https://www.ebay.com/itm/mitch-mitchell-gene-king-defintion-things-go-ko-rare-ohio-funk-45-listen-/170725142338?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item27c002ef42

What do you think on this matter.

Social source share

I nick named my lad, who's 5, little bobby Kimble, Little did I know that Bobby Kimble had indeed made several northern cuts, Des P had one in his box recently and I burst out laughing but hesitated and didnt get it, could kick myself now. Apparantly mr kimble whent onto be the lead singer with Toto.

Social source share

Do you think people go out of thier way to buy records that have similar sounding names to themselves? For instance a friends name is Tony, just noticed he has at the front of his box recent buys such as Tony talent, El Anthony, others include Tony Middleton, probably got others also. Another friend who's name is Byers recently purchased a Vonceil Myers. Do you think there is a connection, my name is Jock Mitchell..!! but I have just been eyeing this up - https://www.ebay.com/...=item27c002ef42

What do you think on this matter.

No not really. :no:

Off top of my head I can only think of four that I have owned with my name in it.

Both David & Giants, Lee David and Dave Mitchell.

There is maybe loads more but at the moment I can't think of any. :g:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I confess that I do own both 'More Bounce To The Ounce' by Zapp and a reggae tune called 'Number One Version' by 'Tony' (just Tony, no surname).

But I bought both simply because I liked them and not for any other reason.

I did however buy a 45 of the Charlie Parker Quintet's 'Kim', not long after my daughter was born to go with a previously purchased copy of the Morris Stoloff Orchestra's 'This Is Kim' album...

...the little darling was well made up when I showed her both of them not long ago.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I have got a few Joe Simon's but not a total collector , however there is some research into colour influence on the buying public for instance George from Derby goes through stage's of buying records on green lables .It's certainly true that colour can reflect your state of mind aparently black represents sexual anachy and red is seen as danger so people that collect black British issues may be sexual deviants and people that collect red lables may be very dangerous when cornered , white label demo collectors are probably cowards and brown label collectors listen to sh..e if Pete Smith reads this full apologies as I can't remember if it's spelt lable or label best regards Simon.

Social source share

I have got a few Joe Simon's but not a total collector , however there is some research into colour influence on the buying public for instance George from Derby goes through stage's of buying records on green lables .It's certainly true that colour can reflect your state of mind aparently black represents sexual anachy and red is seen as danger so people that collect black British issues may be sexual deviants and people that collect red lables may be very dangerous when cornered , white label demo collectors are probably cowards and brown label collectors listen to sh..e if Pete Smith reads this full apologies as I can't remember if it's spelt lable or label best regards Simon.

I seem to have more than my fair share of Duke demos :glare:

Social source share

Simon,watch out for the ones who collect Red British labels.

Social source share

Dear Doctor,

I've just bought "20 Jazz Funk Greats" by Throbbing Gristle - is there some Freudian reason for this?

Ha, I bought this when it came out. Probably their 'best' record, although "United" is a classic. Wish I would have seen them perform live back in the day.

Getting back to the subject, I have several George records, although not really soul related. One of them is a movie commercial spot record for "George", a movie about a dog by the same name. I bought it willfully because of the name. My family surname is an unusual Slovak name, I've never seen it anywhere on a record, book, etc.

Social source share

Um.......no! Not after a lifetime of Westside Story and Sound of Music renditions by others I've just met :rolleyes:

But Martin 'RBMan' bought me a copy of "Take a letter Maria" for my birthday about 6 years ago and knowing I keep my vinyl, has since asked me to play it at Thorne :lol:

and must admit, I cracked up laughing first time I heard a certain Scottish dj called Keith, play this song :

m

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!