Are Dealers The Way ?

Guest Daddy

Guest Daddy

I have one top draw soul track and sadly have to sell it.

To get the best price with minimum fuss, how would you go about selling it?

As I see it I have to take offers, either at auction or through a top site like soul-source.

But would I be better off placing it in a dealer auction, which would streamline the payment process, or selling it direct via Ebay or private messages?

Sorry to trouble you with a mundane matter, but the posters on this board have given some good advice in the past and this was my first port of call to get more of the same.

Thanks in advance,

blush.gif

Social source share

• Replies 75
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As I see it I have to take offers, either at auction or through a top site like soul-source.

But would I be better off placing it in a dealer auction, which would streamline the payment process, or selling it direct via Ebay or private messages?

Sorry to trouble you with a mundane matter, but the posters on this board have given some good advice in the past and this was my first port of call to get more of the same.

Thanks in advance,

blush.gif

Hi,

sorry to hear you have to sell - it's they only way most of us would.

If you use a dealer they will take a cut. However the price will be inflated if it goes to auction so this may cover it.

If you put it on Ebay, you may lose out unless you put a reserve price on it, or it may go higher if you get lucky.

That's the straight answer with no waffle or bull.

What would I do? I'd seek a valuation, perhaps through this site and then ask for offers. If I didn't get anything satisfactory, I'd put it to auction, probably on Ebay with the best or an average of the offers as reserve price.

Hope this helps, good luck and sorry again, :D

John.

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

Thanks in advance,

blush.gif

Don't touch dealers with a barge pole mate, you won't even get half of what your asking or the going rate, Ebay is probably your best bet but put a reserve on it and it won't sell for for less than you want, also ask offers on these pages is usually ok

Lenny :D

Social source share

I would put it up to offers on here first, fair enough putting a reserve price on Ebay but can put people off IMO, it doesnt get them bidding, and thats what you want a bidding war :D

I would imagine you would get 70% max of the dealer's notion of it's price

wicked.gif Try 50% - 60%

Social source share

Thanks in advance,

wicked.gif

I'd give John Manship a ring,see if he'll auction it for you.He certainly get's top dollar on his auction site.He auctioned something for me 12 months ago.A great guy to deal with :D

Pete

Social source share

got to agree mate john manship has to be the best place

he just got £1009 for pat and the blenders .

biggrin.gifwicked.gif

:D F**k me i'd want 12 of them for that price.

Social source share

Thanks in advance,

wicked.gif

What is youve got for sale then :D

Social source share

Agree, John Manship probably best bet. He's always done right by friends in the past and I think he charges 10% of sale price for auction items. Certainly gets big money for the stuff he sells but, as I always say, if someone wants to pay that for a 45 then good luck to them, no point whinging about inflated, crazy etc etc (even though it obviously is and ESPECIALLY if its on my Wants list!!!!) lol

Social source share

Agree, John Manship probably best bet. He's always done right by friends in the past and I think he charges 10% of sale price for auction items. Certainly gets big money for the stuff he sells but, as I always say, if someone wants to pay that for a 45 then good luck to them, no point whinging about inflated, crazy etc etc (even though it obviously is and ESPECIALLY if its on my Wants list!!!!) lol
I'd ask brownie or shifty or pete smith for realistic prices :thumbsup:
Social source share

got to agree mate john manship has to be the best place

he just got £1009 for pat and the blenders .

:yes::thumbsup:

One went for £387.21 on ebay recently................ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

The simplest way is to find out how much it is worth then start on here asking for prices on how much they would be willing to pay ie a single worth £10 i would pay say £6/7 but no more. You can't try and sell it for more then it's worth, dosen't that bother you sometimes

Social source share

Todays prices are dictated by Johns book and the last ebay price.....if i phone Shifty and say "How much is so-and-so....its £300 in Johns book" He will say "Its 300 then innit"!! The problem is that everyone has the book, or access to it and if a guy buys a nice piece from the US, then he is negotiating with a guy who has the book.......

Did we ever find out what this amazing piece is?

I`ll list anything on my list at your price, if it sells i take 10%....but John has a much bigger catchment area.....and people just seem to be going mad on his auctions!

Chris

Social source share

Todays prices are dictated by Johns book and the last ebay price.....if i phone Shifty and say "How much is so-and-so....its £300 in Johns book" He will say "Its 300 then innit"!! The problem is that everyone has the book, or access to it and if a guy buys a nice piece from the US, then he is negotiating with a guy who has the book.......

I would always check ebay and if I need to use JM's book I always read value as USD not UKP.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Thanks in advance,

thumbsup.gif

Ellerbeck, what a sickly post.

"Daddy" is a well known funk collector, and although he is an experienced collector of low end funk he is not used to handling big records like the Trent Sisters.

Ellerbeck, either send it to Manship or sell it to me for the £3000 cash or the massive funk trades I have offered for it.

"Streamlining payment process"? What a crock of shite, tell people what the record is then the people will stop wasting their time advising you to try popsike and ebay for what it has gone for in the past, because it has never been up for sale before.

Ellerbeck, sorry "Daddy", has already spoken to John about it and he said he didn't really know because it has never been up for sale before.

Sorry Ellerbeck, you will not get the £15000 you laughably tried to ask me to pay for it.

Stop wasting people's time and either send it John Manship, stick it on ebay or sell it to me for £3000 or a little over that in funk trades.

My offer will not stand if you send it to John and it fails to sell on his auction because you have stuck a reserve on it.

If you want to 'stream line' things stop pissing about acting like a c_u_n_t and tell people it's the Trent Sisters and see what people offer you. :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Why have you edited out that it is the Trent Sisters "A Letter A Day"?

You found someone to pay £15000 already? :yes:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Please accept my appologies if I am being really thick hear, just what was the point of all that then ?

If it is what James says you have for sale, you well and truly know the score with this record !

Why waste our time ?

Social source share

Guest Daddy

Why have you edited out that it is the Trent Sisters "A Letter A Day"?

You found someone to pay £15000 already? :yes:

Come on James, leave it out. I didn't offer it to you set sale at 15K, I asked you to make me an offer. When I turned you down at 3K, you spat the dummy and came crying on here. Other people were more polite, which I thank them for. This is afterall a much more gentlemanly forum than the funk ones I know.

If someone can magic up some nice trades like the Thornton Sisters get in touch, if nothing bites John can do what he does best. Frankly, l'd pay him to avoid the headache of dealing with you directly James. :P

Social source share

Guest Daddy

Please accept my appologies if I am being really thick hear, just what was the point of all that then ?

If it is what James says you have for sale, you well and truly know the score with this record !

Why waste our time ?

I'm not a Northern collector, I come to the site looking for funk and RnB occassionally. I just needed some advice about how to handle this one 45, sorry if I wasted your time.

Social source share

I'm not a Northern collector, I come to the site looking for funk and RnB occassionally. I just needed some advice about how to handle this one 45, sorry if I wasted your time.

I'd say your pretty much a f**kin great northern collector (in the sense that is) you've stumbled upon a record that people have been chasing all there collecting lives :P

Why does it never happen to me :lol::yes:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

One in a million find ! Milk it for all its worth, and who knows how much that is as John has said

Social source share

One in a million find ! Milk it for all its worth, and who knows how much that is as John has said

Especialy if you`ve found a box full of em` :unsure:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Come on James, leave it out. I didn't offer it to you set sale at 15K, I asked you to make me an offer. When I turned you down at 3K, you spat the dummy and came crying on here. Other people were more polite, which I thank them for. This is afterall a much more gentlemanly forum than the funk ones I know.

If someone can magic up some nice trades like the Thornton Sisters get in touch, if nothing bites John can do what he does best. Frankly, l'd pay him to avoid the headache of dealing with you directly James. :)

You don't contribute to this site Ellerbeck, you are a taker and a user. You contribute nothing to the soul or funk scenes.

Over 50% of your posts are in the wants section, you come on here to milk all you can out of people without giving anything back. You only post in the wants section in an effort to get records cheap and then sell them on for profit on the funk boards.

You have already asked on here what it is worth in a cloaked post in the wants section and you got plenty of answers, you now post again and waste people's time with another cloaked post about how you 'are forced to sell' with a sickly comment about not 'wanting to bother people with this mundane matter'.

I suggest you send it to Manship, he normally gets the best prices for people, but don't come running to me it it doesn't sell because my offer will not stand after that.

£15grand? :yes: You're a joker, a time waster, and a user sat on this site like a leech sucking all you can out of it. :yes:

How's that for a bit of funk board etiquite? :yes:

Social source share

Guest Daddy

You don't contribute to this site Ellerbeck, you are a taker and a user. You contribute nothing to the soul or funk scenes.

Over 50% of your posts are in the wants section, you come on here to milk all you can out of people without giving anything back. You only post in the wants section in an effort to get records cheap and then sell them on for profit on the funk boards.

You have already asked on here what it is worth in a cloaked post in the wants section and you got plenty of answers, you now post again and waste people's time with another cloaked post about how you 'are forced to sell' with a sickly comment about not 'wanting to bother people with this mundane matter'.

I suggest you send it to Manship, he normally gets the best prices for people, but don't come running to me it it doesn't sell because my offer will not stand after that.

£15grand? :) You're a joker, a time waster, and a user sat on this site like a leech sucking all you can out of it. :)

How's that for a bit of funk board etiquite? wink.gif

In just two posts alone you've called me a c+++, a leech, a taker, a joker, a time waster, a user, sickly and doubtless the list will continue. Any chance you can grow up?

This is a once in a lifetime find for me, so I was naturally trying to be careful with it; that's what this whole thread was about.

Oh, why am I wasting my breath? I'll pop in the auction, and good to luck to you.

Social source share

In just two posts alone you've called me a c+++, a leech, a taker, a joker, a time waster, a user, sickly and doubtless the list will continue. Any chance you can grow up?

This is a once in a lifetime find for me, so I was naturally trying to be careful with it; that's what this whole thread was about.

Oh, why am I wasting my breath? I'll pop in the auction, and good to luck to you.

Not absolutely sure, but I kinda get the feeling you two ain't gonna be doing business :):)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

:) Am I the only one who doesn't know it? :)

Any chance of a sound clip type thing?

John Manship couldn't remember it untill I played it to him, it's ridiculously rare, so no you are not alone. But it is also a ridiculously messy record with limited appeal to the northern soul scene. It's not a fraction of the dancer that Little John is and is of more interest to funk collectors or weirdos like me than to northern soul DJs. It's very stoppy starty with a weird beat that is impossible to get your feet around. :D

Search for Daddy's post in the wants section I think someone posted up a soundfile on there. yes.gif

Social source share

Thanks for posting up the clip James.....quite liked it but......does it really fetch that kind of money?

If you offered me £3,000 I'd bite your hand off

Well, question is, if the single feches that kinda money because it is that good, that rare, or both?

What does it make that particular for you, James, that you are willing to shell out that much money?

Take care

YouYou

Edited by YouYou
Social source share

Well, question is, it if feches that kinda money because it is that good, that rare, or both?

What does it make that particular for you, James, that you are willing to shell out that much money?

Take care

YouYou

Thats the thing no one really knows what its worth, simply because its never really been up for sale! James has offered £3000 because thats what its worth to him.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert