An Antidote To Handbags

I remember telling a group of lads thinking about going at about 2am that was pissed up that it was a gay bar and the men are very touchy feely :-) one wink later and they was on their way lol

Ha! Done similar Paul. Never went as far as telling curious groups of blokes on Oxford Street that it was a gay club but on more than one occasion told them it was all blokes dancing on their own to old music and no single women. Always enough to put them off.

Edited by markw
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ha! Done similar Paul. Never went as far as telling curious groups of blokes on Oxford Street that it was a gay club but on more than occasion told them it was all blokes dancing on their own to old music and no single women. Always enough to put them off.

Thing is I was with Tabs at the time and and the fellas took one look at him and walked like ducks toward mcdonalds lol

Social source share

You are right, I didn't even realise that I was doing that, and I hate it when others do it. I am actually embarrassed that I have done that. But in mitigation, we can only express the things we have experienced, but yes, I apologies for that.

I don't actually have an agenda at all. My promoting days are long gone and I haven't been out on the scene for years. I am opinionated though, and can't resist joining in. Just because you like someone, doesn't mean you agree with all their opinions. But on this scene people take that as a personal insult, when that's not the case.

Fair play Phil - and I do agree - criticism must be heard where due.

Lucky you weren't at the do we did once a few years back when both decks broke and the bar staff didn't turn up till gone 11pm. I had to crouch beside a radiator in a corner to hide my blushes!

Best! J  :thumbsup:

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

An Antidote To Handbags?...erm...the 100Club!!!x

After reading the thread....it's gone full circle!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

....when on the Ritz floor  I did a spin or summink that took me feet off the ground for a sec....and I definately recall the whole floor disappearing below me as it 'tilted' and I felt as tho' I dropped back down 2 or 3 inches as I landed.....AWWWWWESOME!!!!x Those 'nobbles' on the floor at the 100club....I used to love 'working' around em wiv me moves. HAAAAAARDDDD COOOOORE....or wot?!x Underground....and fit for sounds like below booooooOOOOOOOoooooming around ure lug holes....which I loved spinning there........I reckon!!!x

@@
~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMmAVFqeRII

......and am looking forward to me December trip down it.........and I know I won't trip once down there......not like we did in the 90's anyway.....sigh.....!hehe..X

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You appear to be in that clique Byrney.  :yes:  :lol:

I'm "part of a clique that more or less runs the soul scene"?

Wish someone had let me known this sooner.... Oh the power, hear me roar!

Social source share

Just mention that mick h and chalky are dj'n , that should see off most undesirables.. if any sneak by and there's a fight i'll be hiding behind Nicola !

Very funny....

I do have a question though, if I bring my handbag does that mean I'm a handbagger?

See you later.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always took the view, which I have always generously shared with anyone who whines about the 100 Club floor, that if it has been good enough for the likes of Keb Darge, Soulie, etc etc, then it's good enough for anybody.

couldn't agree more and when you have people like kieth money playing it says it all folk should chill a bit go to a night if you like it great if you dont fair enough dont go back find a night that suits you but personally the more things on and the different music policy there is the better it is isnt it? as there is something for everyone just my view for what its worth

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Fook that I like to get wankered while enjoying me soul :-)

Well I just suggested it as an Antidote To Handbags.

I have been to some excellent allnighters that did not sell alcohol.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Not meant as a look back, but I didn't see any handbaggers or the like last night, just Northerners, Southerners and Midlanders, dancing to quality soul, looking at some quality soul, a few beers and some friendly chats. What more is there?

That was as good a nighter at the 100 as I've ever been to, top djs with top tunes playing to a top crowd and the dance floor was good to. IMHO a lot of nighters would love a bit of what the 100 Club has about it. There was a great vibe in that there cellar :-)

Must admit I did leave my handbag in the car this time :-)

Social source share

Not meant as a look back, but I didn't see any handbaggers or the like last night, just Northerners, Southerners and Midlanders, dancing to quality soul, looking at some quality soul, a few beers and some friendly chats. What more is there?

Exactly the same as August then Simsy.....handbag central? No way! You'd find more handbags in a rugby club changing room!

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes have been a regular since the first one.

I travel from Scotland and I find this kind of drivel that you post offensive as i like MOD clothes and my hand bag, as well as enjoying listening to the tunes that are played there.

I have travelled most of my time on the scene and i like to hear new tunes whatever the genre i like or others tastes. I find your comments purile in the extreme and pointless....but I will be in the blue posts from around 8 pm should you want to discuss this further. I will be dressed in suit with a matching handbag.

Roddy - excuse the delay in replying. Like yourself, I have travelled far and wide to experience both new and old tunes. The 100 Club is a legendary venue and hopefully it will long remain so. My comment alluded to the changing character of the clientiele which despite a core of regulars, has dwindled and fluctuated but there are still numbers of transients ie tourists, students, music fans, club goers, the occasional jazz buff AND from what I can gather, smallish numbers of social drinkers and dancers. This may be down to the open door policy that Ady advocates. Whatever, I felt a comment was appropriate but never intended to hurt the sensibilities of any delicate soulies out there. I remain a battle hardened, membership card carrying soul follower so it pains me to see any venerable institution suffering through loss of members, attendees or indeed morphing to cater to a more catholic audience. Nothing too puerile here I hope, just sincere and genuine concerns about how a top venue functions.

ATB

FC

Social source share

An Antidote To Handbags?...erm...the 100Club!!!x

After reading the thread....it's gone full circle!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

....when on the Ritz floor  I did a spin or summink that took me feet off the ground for a sec....and I definately recall the whole floor disappearing below me as it 'tilted' and I felt as tho' I dropped back down 2 or 3 inches as I landed.....AWWWWWESOME!!!!x Those 'nobbles' on the floor at the 100club....I used to love 'working' around em wiv me moves. HAAAAAARDDDD COOOOORE....or wot?!x Underground....and fit for sounds like below booooooOOOOOOOoooooming around ure lug holes....which I loved spinning there........I Wreckon!!!xWas it you that damaged the dance floor Sooty? I enjoy your posts keep 'em coming.

ATB

FC

@@

~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMmAVFqeRII

......and am looking forward to me December trip down it.........and I know I won't trip once down there......not like we did in the 90's anyway.....sigh.....!hehe..X

@@

~

Social source share

I understand your angle but I won't reinstate members only. I was turned away from the WAG around 1980 because I was wearing the wrong trousers or summat, all I wanted to do was see a bleeding group. I have never wanted to discriminate against people I don't know. The door turn away the obvious idiots and if any develop that way as the night progresses it just takes a discreet word to me or the door staff and it's sorted. All the best fights happened when we had memberships!

Ady - please excuse the delay in following up. I understand where you are coming from on this as no one likes being rejected at the door. However, the soul scene has had many clubs with membership requirements that were not detrimental to the paying customer. Carrying a membership card involves commitment and encourages a sense of belonging. I could not conceive of tearing mine up even though it is redundant. If nothing else, this thread has got me thinking about how important it is to have outsiders on the inside as this may be where the young blood comes from, after all, we were all outsiders before we joined up. I enjoy the presence of youngsters at Cleethorpes as it is good to see them dragged up proper, and hopefully, eventually join the ranks of full time soulies. As as the door keepers keep the drunks away and the thugs at bay, regulars should have a good night out - membership requirement also achieves this also spats between mates excepted. Sounds like I missed a good night out and maybe it's time to rejoin the crowd again?

ATB

FC

Social source share

It's the longest running all nighter for a reason Quinvy & Crocker.

If it were a bit crap, or there were smack head hand baggers in the wrong trainers, then it probably wouldn't have lasted.

We keep coming back because it's good.

Simsy - no quibbles about that. A legendary venue for many reasons, always has been and always will be. Still one of my all- time favourite venues. Having been forced to vacate the floor on one occasion because a few outside degenerates took over, I feel in a position to comment. That is not a criticism of the regulars who I hold in high esteem. I am not a fan of non- soulies traipsing across the dance floor carrying pints when I shake a leg so am a little apprehensive about sundry visitors to the club. Neither am I a staunch advocate of Dad Dancing before the regulars hit the floor at 2.30 a.m whenever, regardless of the footwear they have settled on. The 100 Club continues warts and all but is it unacceptable to pass comment based on personal experience and opinion? Keep up the banter...

ATB

FC

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I will be that smack head lookalike hogging the potholes with trainers on and can't wait to annoy all them hardcore soul people cos its the best underground nighter on the planet and all its little cranky bits and bobs make it so special.....

If it was perfect it wouldn't be the 100 club, but the music is always pretty damn perfect and that's what I'm going for oh and to chat to some other undesirables that vacate there too :-)

Viva le 100 .....

Nice one Bearsy. A blend of truth and levity I admire in a man or a cuddly, furry animal...

ATB

FC

Social source share

Hardly something to be bragging about.... :lol:

Not necessarily a boast. Maybe precise quantification to reflect on. Some of us are getting older, others have dodgy knees but a falling attendance at any venue is a cause for concern and the promoter is often best placed to pass comment if sufficiently introspective.

Ady acknowledges a stick patch at The Hundred Club and other venues have seen numbers dwindle. - the reasons for this are worth speculating on especially if there is a solution out there.

ATB

FC

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was it you that damaged the dance floor Sooty? I enjoy your posts keep 'em coming.

ATB

FC

It wos a rocker Crocker that dance floor......luv'd iit!!!x 

@@

~

ady croasdell, on 01 Nov 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:snapback.png

I understand your angle but I won't reinstate members only. I was turned away from the WAG around 1980 because I was wearing the wrong trousers or summat, all I wanted to do was see a bleeding group. I have never wanted to discriminate against people I don't know. The door turn away the obvious idiots and if any develop that way as the night progresses it just takes a discreet word to me or the door staff and it's sorted. All the best fights happened when we had memberships!

------

Your comments re Membership Frankie are valid...as are Ady's sentiments as to why he doesn't have membership anymore!x Personally....I have always liked memberships to venues within the scene. I feels it helps generate that 'togetherness'....folk feel they will be among their own....and...it collates info from a promoters perspective for future marketing and in keeping it together!!x

As a medium...at my A/Ns...Members got in for a £1 discount on entrance fee....advance purchase of tickets for future dates....and received a newsletter posted keeping them all up to date on dates n stuff!! 'Temporary' members who joined on the night didn't get the discount when joining but did give their name/details before entry and paid the £2 fee membership fee extra to get in. That act by them showed some intent to do right....and also let them know we knew who they were and could be followed up in any event. I never had any 'problem' at any Night I promoted throughout the 9 years of monthly/quarterly functions. 

However....if I had a venue in London....Oxford Street....with it's unique 'movement' through the night and available punters...or in Manchester....Birmingham or any major City.....then I may have a different approach! My venues were 'local'...known by locals and supported by known Soulies and 'locals' within a 50 mile radius. The 100 Club....doesn't have a 'local' customer base and perhaps never has really! Therefore....I would have to be more ;'liberal' with my approach and yes...in Cambridge....casual punters arriving @ 2/3am....would be pi** heads....end of. London/major City's.....not necessarily so!! It is quite 'normal' for me to take 'sober party goers' out at 2am in London!!! That's when they start their chillout......yet back in Cambridge most folks nights would be coming to an end.....before the 5 mins wiv the mrs giving it 'I luuuurve u....burp' and all that!!hehe!x

Different social habits and demographs.....which I would have to take into account. Whatever Ady has done over the years...has worked....he and the 100 Club are still here.....for which i'm grateful and as said look forward to attending the next one!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

P.S....I collected nearly 900 folks details via membership....nearly 15 years ago. I would say up to half of those details are still valid. If....IF...I was to put a doo on.....15 years later......I have a starting point.....init!!!....thanx to membership!x Dunno about you all...but when I was promoting as a Soulie...the Soulie bit....is for life......and no membership is required for that either for me....or my members.....I have found!!!x

@@

~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

LUV

SOOTY

X

P.S....I collected nearly 900 folks details via membership....nearly 15 years ago. I would say up to half of those details are still valid. If....IF...I was to put a doo on.....15 years later......I have a starting point.....init!!!....thanx to membership!x Dunno about you all...but when I was promoting as a Soulie...the Soulie bit....is for life......and no membership is required for that either for me....or my members.....I have found!!!x

@@

~

Not trying to stir up trouble for ya fella but you may well be in breach of the current data protection laws if you still have this information......depending of course on what info it is, what you do with it and how securely it is stored......just saying like! Wouldn't want you having yer collar felt by plod again....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

....so I need to modernise me database....hmmm.....well i'll just tap their fones then Steve like Rebekah and Murdoch do. Can't keep up wiv all this data collection and protection......!!!x No trouble here mate!!x LUV IT!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

....so I need to modernise me database....hmmm.....well i'll just tap their fones then Steve like Rebekah and Murdoch do. Can't keep up wiv all this data collection and protection......!!!x No trouble here mate!!x LUV IT!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

I don't know what info you have on your "members", but it seems like you still have it 15 years later and so should keep it quiet or dispose of yer database rather than talking about it on the internet. If you are hacked....it could potentially be big trouble for Sooty. Maybe not, but you should be aware of the ground beneath your feet is mighty shakey etc....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

...awwww jeeez Steve...CHILL mate!!!x We din;t have computers...email....and most din;t have mobiles back then either!!!x I made card records...every one hand written and in a likkle box of indexed cards!x ALL FRIENDS......I don't allow tw*ts in me databases. It's mine see....I do as I like wiv me friends....and they've always appreciated it!!!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

EDIT....but you are right mate....computers...the internet....yup....I remember the forerunner to the net...'Prestel'. I became a millionaire thru it first time from '85-90. By 1990....the system had been compromised. That technology was morphed into the Internet development circa 1991. I was part of it working with BT's development end as the most successful 'commercial' operator on Prestel in the 80's!! So yep....the net....is compromised and anything confidential is....not!!! I knew that in 1991...and it was why I wrote me cards out in '93-2000..and still have no 'confidential' info from my 'networks' near any computer 'on line' today! I also have a T2 uplink that bypasses the normal lines used by the majority!x But no harm in reminding any newbies Steve......!!!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Simsy - no quibbles about that. A legendary venue for many reasons, always has been and always will be. Still one of my all- time favourite venues. Having been forced to vacate the floor on one occasion because a few outside degenerates took over, I feel in a position to comment. That is not a criticism of the regulars who I hold in high esteem. I am not a fan of non- soulies traipsing across the dance floor carrying pints when I shake a leg so am a little apprehensive about sundry visitors to the club. Neither am I a staunch advocate of Dad Dancing before the regulars hit the floor at 2.30 a.m whenever, regardless of the footwear they have settled on. The 100 Club continues warts and all but is it unacceptable to pass comment based on personal experience and opinion? Keep up the banter...

ATB

FC

Wart free on Saturday night FC, I tell thee! :thumbsup: 

As said, there were Southerners, Midlanders and Northerners stepping about, listening to records, looking at records, chatting and a few beers. As good as it gets for me!

You are right in that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I wouldn't want you, or Quinvy or anyone thinking that this wart thing was on going at the 100 Club. I'm struggling to think of the last night there that wasn't flawless.

Every venue is susceptible to an odd hand bag here and a wrong trainer there, but as long as there's no trouble and everyone enjoys themselves, that's about as much as we can hope for.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I seem to recall in late 80's that it was acceptable at some events to show any membership card at the door. This proved that you werent just an observer or pisshead. Still have a few that I always carried Soultown, Okeh, SoL, ACGB.

These cards got me into events where I wasnt a member.

Is that THE Pete Smiths 100 Club membership card that Sean Chapman was selling?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Not trying to stir up trouble for ya fella but you may well be in breach of the current data protection laws if you still have this information......depending of course on what info it is, what you do with it and how securely it is stored......just saying like! Wouldn't want you having yer collar felt by plod again....

Vaugely liking the odd soul record when it comes on the radio or is played in tkmaxx....is not l would guess a soulie (whatever that means) for life..........only being about purely to promote and dj   don,t count...........you need to be out and about at others clubs...which is what most do   don,t you agree steve? :thumbsup:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

I seem to recall in late 80's that it was acceptable at some events to show any membership card at the door. This proved that you werent just an observer or pisshead. Still have a few that I always carried Soultown, Okeh, SoL, ACGB.

These cards got me into events where I wasnt a member.

Is that THE Pete Smiths 100 Club membership card that Sean Chapman was selling?

Yeah it must have been Haydn, I sold it to him a while back with some other memorabilia, where did you see it?

Social source share

Vaugely liking the odd soul record when it comes on the radio or is played in tkmaxx....is not l would guess a soulie (whatever that means) for life..........only being about purely to promote and dj   don,t count...........you need to be out and about at others clubs...which is what most do   don,t you agree steve? :thumbsup:  :lol:  :lol:

...agree with you 1000% Gordon!x Personally...I travelled more than any Soulie I knew back in the 90's. It earnt me respect as a then DJ and Promoter on the scene. I wouldn't dream of earning that 'respect' from a fellow Soulie any other way today!!x But...fortunately...being a 'Soulie'...ie into the music.....then that membership hasn't had to be renewed or proved to anyone when at kids homes...borstal...prison....or in me car for 15 years before going to a proper doo!x I learneded the term 'Keep The Faith'....back at a youff club circa 1975 when The Champion was being spun and I watched Mick Hutt in his reaaaaallly wide baggies spinning....and hoped one day I could have some trousers like that and dance as good! I never did either.....but....''kept the faith'.....to this day. ALONE too with it for many of those years.....but still kept it....when it counts!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...we'll get on.....we are of similar foundation mate!!x 'Hard core'....end of!!x

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

https://www.chapmanrecords.co.uk/shop/index.aspx?categoryId=58

1988....I stayed in London around that time. If I can recall, Twice I was to collect my membership at the door on the night, and twice Ady kept me at the door, cos they couldnt find it.

20 years old, a Scot in a foriegn land, jostled by the admitted crowd. Having doubt on whether I would get down those stairs to share the delight. Then Ady would arrive shaking his head proclaiming confusion, guiding me by the queue.

Always had a soft spot fir the Scots did Horace ;)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I agree, although I hate the word "soulie" and also know a number of "soulies" who are quite content in their armchairs and bidding up things on ebay / jogging around their record rooms....But broadly yes Terry.

Social source share

I agree, although I hate the word "soulie" and also know a number of "soulies" who are quite content in their armchairs and bidding up things on ebay / jogging around their record rooms....But broadly yes Terry.

Wot's the new words for us then Steve??? Honest?!...has there been a new top 10 names developed since I stopped frequenting gigs? Wot am I...or others who go...or don't  then?!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

....have I been promoted to a 'collector'???? Shifty and Len will pi** emselves at that prospect...!!!hehe!!x

@@

~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

https://www.chapmanrecords.co.uk/shop/index.aspx?categoryId=58

1988....I stayed in London around that time. If I can recall, Twice I was to collect my membership at the door on the night, and twice Ady kept me at the door, cos they couldnt find it.

20 years old, a Scot in a foriegn land, jostled by the admitted crowd. Having doubt on whether I would get down those stairs to share the delight. Then Ady would arrive shaking his head proclaiming confusion, guiding me by the queue.

Always had a soft spot fir the Scots did Horace ;)

Hibernian Horace as I described myself on the Jocks only DJing night, only to find they signed me up for the Hibs supporters club! I still have a soft spot for them but they're worse than Leicester at the moment. The memberships were always a bit farcical with me running the show but fond memories indeed; I'm glad you stuck with it Haydn.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Don't remember the word first time around, but soon became accustomed to it when I came back on the scene in the nineties. Don't particularly like it either, but it is a convenient 'cover all', is it in the Oxford English yet? :) :)

PS. When I was a frequent visitor to the 100 I absolutely adored it, wonky dance floor and all. Musically second to none, and I still look upon it as the best nighter ever since the 'good old days'. 

Edited by Winnie :-)
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Don't remember the word first time around, but soon became accustomed to it when I came back on the scene in the nineties. Don't particularly like it either, but it is a convenient 'cover all', is it in the Oxford English yet? :) :)

PS. When I was a frequent visitor to the 100 I absolutely adored it, wonky dance floor and all. Musically second to none, and I still look upon it as the best nighter ever since the 'good old days'. 

Don't know about soulie, but I found this one in the Urban Dictionary...

soulgasm

–noun, verb ˈsÅl-ga-zÉ™m

1 : a moment of pure spiritual ecstasy; in which, an artful piece of life touches and moves the very core of your being, forcing you to close your eyes, gape slightly and lose yourself in its beauty, and as you do, a delightful tingling sensation flourishes from the back of your head and travels down your neck to ravish the entirety of your flesh.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Around the west country the term soulie and soul boy was a reference to the casuals who had those flick hair cuts. And were probably into Jazz funk.

I dont know when it became acceptable as a Northern Soul fan to be a soulie.

Social source share