The Best Unreleased Soul?

SHEFFSOUL

Guest sharmo 1

Ring leaders All of my ;life , this has to be one of the first big unissued acetates that broke the mould and freed peoples minds enabling people to start looking for unissued / alternative cuts on original acetates. Have to say Melba Moore's magic touch was a phenominal discovery . Regards simon.

Social source share

Was the gallahads ,not sure of the title,don't even know if that's the correct spelling,I know Chris Marriott had a copy and was on acetate,maybe it's now released?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Was the gallahads ,not sure of the title,don't even know if that's the correct spelling,I know Chris Marriott had a copy and was on acetate,maybe it's now released?

Do you mean " I've got to find a way "  ? as that was already a release I suppose it's the same kind of deal when Dave Raistrick found the untitled and uncredited acetate of Hang on in there girl not knowing it was an era release I think jim Wensiora had it as Johnny Vanelli or something like that Regards S.

Social source share

Just had a listen to Maurice Williams 'Look my way', really nice raunchy one that, it's nice to hear new stuff as I am relatively new to this. I do love the groove on Let love live (a little bit longer) by the Velvelettes, real nice catchy groove that one but the Magic touch by Melba Moore...what a gem! One of my favorites is Jeannette by Wade Flemons, that is just such a tune that makes me get on the floor :wink:

Social source share

Martha Jean Love is a cover up name.

By the sound, they are DEFINITELY Chicago recordings.  Are they STILL being covered up? (meaning that we have no access to find out who it really was?  Or was the artist name NOT written on the acetate?  Both cuts sound much like Johnny Pate's ABC productions from 1965-67, and the songwriting and instrumentation is clearly Chicago style.  But, as I was fooled by "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" by The Combinations being produced and recorded in Atlanta, perhaps this is just a "Chicago Sound" immitator?

Social source share

As a body of work by one artist probably the Sharon Scott 4 Pied Pipers Putting My Heart Under Lock & Key, I'm Not Afraid, It's Better and Don't Wait Too Long. Then again Nancy Wilcox Gambler's Blues, He'll Be Leaving You, More Than A Memory and In The End takes some beating and Little Ann's whole Dave Hamilton output is incredible-sorry for the personal bias!

Ady Crosdell gets my vote as the man who gave us most of these unissued gems via world premiers at the 100 Club then again on Kent CD's. Cheers Ady.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've now heard those 2 cuts.  Clearly those are Johnny Pate productions for ABC, just as was her release.  The group behind her sounds like The Trends.  Anyone know, for sure, who they were?  Bob A?

I've now heard those 2 cuts.  Clearly those are Johnny Pate productions for ABC, just as was her release.  The group behind her sounds like The Trends.  Anyone know, for sure, who they were?  Bob A?

i'd like to hear them...

Social source share

derek martin- flashback, as good as eddie parker, imho, mastering is weak I know, but an awesome track. cant believe nobody's mentioned, charlie rich- dont tear me down either.

Can remember Richard Searling playing Flashback on Jazz (Smooth) fm on Sunday lunchtime shows! And always having to talk or put jingle on to stop bootleggers. Like you ! I think it was a thumping northern track that you just don't here now. Rod 

Edited by Rodders22
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Can remember Richard Searling playing Flashback on Jazz (Smooth) fm on Sunday lunchtime shows! And always having to talk or put jingle on to stop bootleggers. Like you ! I think it was a thumping northern track that you just don't here now. Rod 

Butch has played it at 100Club and Lifeline and I guess othe places he has graced e decks occasionally. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In no particular order, we've only really two blokes to thank for these. And they really are my favourites of all time.

Martha Jean Love - Both sides (actually this IS in order. Old Time Lover. Best female record ever made for me)

United Four - Gotta Find A New Love

Carla Thomas - Ill Never Stop..

Peggy Gaines- When The Boy That You Love

George Soule - Midnight Affair

Make that 4 blokes:

Deon Jackson - Someday The Sun Will Shine.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In no particular order, we've only really two blokes to thank for these. And they really are my favourites of all time.

Martha Jean Love - Both sides (actually this IS in order. Old Time Lover. Best female record ever made for me)

United Four - Gotta Find A New Love

Carla Thomas - Ill Never Stop..

Peggy Gaines- When The Boy That You Love

George Soule - Midnight Affair

Make that 4 blokes:

Deon Jackson - Someday The Sun Will Shine.

Every body seems to be talking about Martha Jean Love "Old Time Lover" but yet I can find it anywhere... it's not on youtube isn't it?

Social source share

Unlikely Andrea. It's a closely guarded acetate. Go see Butch and ask him if you can witness its glory.

On the rare occasions I hear either side of it I just have to get up and dance, whatever I'm doing. I do hope that Butch will play this and Jean Carter at the Lifeline anniversary on Saturday. A real tragedy that these will never be available on legal issue because the only word I've got to describe them is magnificent.

Social source share

got to raise this here, many of these by the very nature, are exclusively owned, in the original format, by one or two collectors, not all of whom play records out on a regular basis.

deep breath here, but is it good for the scene that many of these tunes remain unheard by the mainstream northern crowd? not even sure of my own thoughts on this one a very thorny issue indeed! what about tape only finds? any of the top jocks own a reel to reel? sounds ludicrous but greg wilson takes one to all his sets to play his edits. it seems odd and equally ludicrous that some quirk of fate decides because there's no acetate of a particular recording we can play a recent issue of a track, but not if some had the foresight to cut an acetate (or two) at the time.

As I said, not sure how i really feel about it myself, and certainly not trying to be provocative but would be interested on members thoughts. 

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Best unrel. Soul ? Well, I am on my way to Aachen Soulweekende and with me I have untel. Prophets, unrel. Enjoyables, unrel. Flash Mckinley, unrel Hermon Hitson, unrel. "Melba Moore", unrel. Eddie Holman and a few other pieces. All among my personal faves at the mo LOL

On a slightly more serious note....everything Kent has put out is to me amongst the finest of the fine.

Social source share

got to raise this here, many of these by the very nature, are exclusively owned, in the original format, by one or two collectors, not all of whom play records out on a regular basis.

deep breath here, but is it good for the scene that many of these tunes remain unheard by the mainstream northern crowd? not even sure of my own thoughts on this one a very thorny issue indeed! what about tape only finds? any of the top jocks own a reel to reel? sounds ludicrous but greg wilson takes one to all his sets to play his edits. it seems odd and equally ludicrous that some quirk of fate decides because there's no acetate of a particular recording we can play a recent issue of a track, but not if some had the foresight to cut an acetate (or two) at the time.

As I said, not sure how i really feel about it myself, and certainly not trying to be provocative but would be interested on members thoughts. 

cant believe nobody has an opinion on this, are we too busy being dillusional about the brits?

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!