Jonathan Capree - Gonna Build Me A Mountain - Ox Bow

I put up the tune on YouTube as a result of this thread. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that it was not on YouTube when MP3s of the tune are easily found on the internet.

So, you have the white Demo then Sebastian? Cool. Like I said, never knew of, or seen a Demo of this before. :thumbsup:

Social source share

So, you have the white Demo then Sebastian? Cool. Like I said, never knew of, or seen a Demo of this before. :thumbsup:

No, I don't have a white demo. I just put up the MP3 on YouTube. I've never seen a white demo of this, and doubt that it exists.

I'll take down the YouTube clip in a minute and re-upload with another picture.

EDIT: here we go, new clip, hope this ends the confusion... :rofl:

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I am the ONLY person that doesn't like this one at all  :lol:

No me neither although I can see the appeal to a dancefloor, so not surprised it's a popular 45. I've only heard it once out and I would say it sounded much better in a big room environment. Did he do anything else and is there anything else on the label?

Social source share

No me neither although I can see the appeal to a dancefloor, so not surprised it's a popular 45. I've only heard it once out and I would say it sounded much better in a big room environment. Did he do anything else and is there anything else on the label?

He did a 45 on the MINI label as well. For some reason Manship has soundclipped the worst side:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/164967/CAPREE,_JONATHAN_.AND._TOGETHERNESS

"To Be Free" is no masterpiece, but it's at least uptempo and has got a slight mod jazz feel to it.

Social source share

Add to the line of non-believers every dancefloor ever tried it on here in NYC, people here just didn't respond to it well, plus after playing it on a guest spot on Finewine's show had a friend go out of his way to tell me it was utter crap, ah well, still a good track and absolute rare as **** but takes a bit of time getting there, unloaded to a happy friend in Europe where it's way more appreciated at least (PS and kudos for the condition of this one, M- is impressive)

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

Add to the line of non-believers every dancefloor ever tried it on here in NYC, people here just didn't respond to it well, plus after playing it on a guest spot on Finewine's show had a friend go out of his way to tell me it was utter crap, ah well, still a good track and absolute rare as **** but takes a bit of time getting there, unloaded to a happy friend in Europe where it's way more appreciated at least (PS and kudos for the condition of this one, M- is impressive)

id be locking my threads in future.

Social source share

Feel like I've got the opposite of the midas touch when it comes to selling rare records. Never seen an empty dance floor to this, hardly turns up especially in this condition and just thought I'd try share the wealth here, never mind! Btw, it's on the sales thread now, set price.

Social source share

Odd how I suggest a soundfile would maybe help a guy sell his 45 only to have folk do the opposite...:(

Bad etiquette in my book to start posting your thoughts on the quality of the song in a sales thread.

P.s There was a copy at set sale for $5k on ebay that went in 24 hrs, so somebody must like it?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Feel like I've got the opposite of the midas touch when it comes to selling rare records. Never seen an empty dance floor to this, hardly turns up especially in this condition and just thought I'd try share the wealth here, never mind! Btw, it's on the sales thread now, set price.

IF I HAD £2.2 K IT WOULD BE IN MY BOX./....FOR DEFO....BRILL QUALITY 45..WITH SEAN CHAPMAN PLAYING VALUE CAN ONLY GO UP!!

Social source share

Guest penny

I put up the tune on YouTube as a result of this thread. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that it was not on YouTube when MP3s of the tune are easily found on the internet.

Why not just put a link to the mixes on which it features then? I wouldnt get an mp3 off one of your or anyone elses mixes and post it on youtube. I wouldnt post a soundfile of a track anywhere of something I didnt have though so must be me being odd.

ey up Callum mate, hope all cool. I heard this off paul at lifeline, must be 10 years ago, but bought it soon after off adam leaver.

]

Social source share

Why not just put a link to the mixes on which it features then? I wouldnt get an mp3 off one of your or anyone elses mixes and post it on youtube.

I didn't know that it was included in a mix. I had it as an MP3, so uploaded it. Anyone that puts "jonathan capree mp3" into google will come straight to a standalone MP3 of the tune. Why should I post a link to an MP3 or a mix, when it's much easier for everyone (and along the site guidelines) if it's available directly on YouTube? Or are you suggesting that every tune uploaded to YouTube is done by someone who owns the original 45?

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

ok if you are flogging via fixed price will move this thread to box

that ok with ya ?

mike

Social source share

Johnathon Capree i reckon is a fantastic slab of Soul, i first heard Paul Sadot playing this a good few years back,

then a dj in the upstairs R&b room at Citrus Barnsley (was that Mik Parry?).

I hope not too many surface as then it becomes over-kill

Social source share

Guest penny

Johnathon Capree i reckon is a fantastic slab of Soul, i first heard Paul Sadot playing this a good few years back,

then a dj in the upstairs R&b room at Citrus Barnsley (was that Mik Parry?).

I hope not too many surface as then it becomes over-kill

aye that'll have been me. Since I got it - probably second to play it after paul, so was generally playing it to people for the first time - if the do has been a real party, then this will have sent the place into a frenzy, if the do has been a bit on the conservative, purist or sober (in both senses of the word) side, then it doesnt go down so good, and in fact does sound a bit inappropriate.

If there are parallels between that and those who like / dont like it...I couldn't say, but if say at 2 am in the Boiler, Barcalona, with the place bouncing to it, there had been someone stood at the side, disapproving, then i'd guess that they probably were a certain type.

but then i'm a party animal who was mostly off my fucking tits, an eccentric dance record like this is right for me. I never ever thought it would be accepted on the northern scene and was pleasantly surprised, and impressed by that scene, when I heard Flanny was breaking it upstairs.

Mik

Social source share

Personally, I love this tune and never thought I'd own a copy. However just like buses they never come along individually, hence selling (or at least trying to) a spare. I never heard Paul spin this - it was Mik who introduced this anthem at the Pow Wow when I was starting to get into it all, hence this 45 having legendary status amongst the boys & girls. Regarding the youtube link, people who own this tune (prior to me) have wanted to keep this tune somewhat 'underground', on specific mixes and off youtube - I can relate to this for aforementioned reasons and not making it so easily accessible so people could easily tire of the track; really doesn't justify it.

With regards to those who don't like the tune, absolutely fine - different strokes! I don't like happy go lucky northern tunes and opt for the deep, dark & depressing (uplifting in my book) anthems!

Edited by The Milk Man
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!