Misleading Beginnings

Just heard on Radio 2 - Behind a Painted Smile - Isley Brothers and thought what a strange start to a record, Flute and piano intro sounding pretty crap, then the backing kicks in followed by the magical vocals of the Isley Brothers and within a few seconds you realize what a masterpiece you are listing to  

Any other crap beginnings spring to mind 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The most obvious 'Northern classic' with a duff intro is 'I'm On My Way' by Dean Parrish which required some serious convincing to get DJs to play it as they heard this crappy guitar line at the beginning and thought 'err...no thanks'. It eventually became quite popular I'm led to believe.

Social source share

Just heard on Radio 2 - Behind a Painted Smile - Isley Brothers and thought what a strange start to a record, Flute and piano intro sounding pretty crap, then the backing kicks in followed by the magical vocals of the Isley Brothers and within a few seconds you realize what a masterpiece you are listing to  

whist it had a crap beginning it was a dj's dream ending and you could go straight into Road Runner or Ain't too proud to beg

Kev

Social source share

whist it had a crap beginning it was a dj's dream ending and you could go straight into Road Runner or Ain't too proud to beg

Kev

We had a thread on sudden endings a few months ago, prompted by Behind a Painted Smile if I remember right.

Social source share

We had a thread on sudden endings a few months ago, prompted by Behind a Painted Smile if I remember right.

That's the trouble with spontaneity. Unless you want to spend half an hour checking back through old threads you might have missed, just to make sure you aren't covering the same old ground, you can't help but repeat stuff. :)

Social source share

There seems to be some confusion over "misleading" beginnings and "crap" beginnings. I think Gladys Knight is misleading but cetainly not crap, the same with Lamont Dozier, whereas Laura Greene's is just crap!

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's the trouble with spontaneity. Unless you want to spend half an hour checking back through old threads you might have missed, just to make sure you aren't covering the same old ground, you can't help but repeat stuff. :)

I wasn't suggesting anything wrong with repeating, I was just thinking it funny that the same record could both be the prime example of a misleading beginning and an abrupt ending.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep it was an impulse thread, as stated behind a painted smile had just been played on radio 2. I just checked the old thread of Sudden Endings and yes it was about the 10th to get mentioned. Maybe crap was a bad word to use but I was having a crap day at work.

Prophets - One Gold Piece is a masterpiece from start to end. Sorry Matt no room 101 for that (IMO)

The Fantastics - Me and You, Wow you would think you were in a Spanish bar until the most soulful voice you did hear comes in. (who does lead vocals on that)

Al Jones - Only your love can save me now. Dont think I knew that one but certainly deserves a place in this category 

I once seen on SS that the alternative beginning to Romona Collins was a required taste. ( I love them both and would gratefully except either one) 

Edited by Mick Boyle
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Fantastics - Me and You, Wow you would think you were in a Spanish bar until the most soulful voice you did hear comes in. (who does lead vocals on that)

A post from Chalky a few months ago gave the line up of the Fantastics:

The Fantastics on Impressario, Copa & SS7 were Jethro V Caldwell (lead, Willie Parnell (second lead), later of Archie Bell & Drells; Eddie Webb, later of Masters of Soul; Bobby Williams.

Social source share

No accounting for taste. I think its a great into : "Love is a many splendored thing". Maybe it was an inside joke.

Social source share

Tribulations = you gave me up for promises. Stay with it for 40 seconds....

Would it be fair to compare it to good sex, starting off slow and sultry but it ends up as one hell of a session...... :)

For me it's not how it starts but how you feel once its finished.  :hypo:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally, I love both the beginning AND the end to "Behind A Painted Smile".

The flutes set up the big drums at the beginning - and I never tire of the dramatic end :thumbsup:

Having said that, the track seems to be playlisted on Absolute Radio 60's, which means it is gonna get played relentlessly every single day until we will all be heartily sick of it :ohmy:

Edited by soash
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

For me the only one would be Cool Sounds "who can I turn to where can I go" on Warner Bros.

filing this under misleading intros would be misleading in itself, this little beauty would snap you out of a coma!

it must be somewhere on the web to listen to, but I'm a vinyl man not a computer wizard, so sorry no upload.

I'm sure someone will put you out of your misery and attach a sound file/bite (Suarez) or whatever they do. :g:

Dave Halsall

Social source share

For me the only one would be Cool Sounds "who can I turn to where can I go" on Warner Bros.

filing this under misleading intros would be misleading in itself, this little beauty would snap you out of a coma!

it must be somewhere on the web to listen to, but I'm a vinyl man not a computer wizard, so sorry no upload.

I'm sure someone will put you out of your misery and attach a sound file/bite (Suarez) or whatever they do. :g:

Dave Halsall

There you go

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!