Panic Is On

Well sorry to say this Pete but I got one, found it in a ice cream tub in a record fair in Surrey for 80p in the 8ts. When I got home I pushed the middle out so it would look like a US Disc........... :dash2: (a regret, one of many in the early record buying day at a time of I'll come back for that later attitude which after looking at JM site now, I still struggle to sleep)

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well sorry to say this Pete but I got one, found it in a ice cream tub in a record fair in Surrey for 80p in the 8ts. When I got home I pushed the middle out so it would look like a US Disc........... :dash2: (a regret, one of many in the early record buying day at a time of I'll come back for that later attitude which after looking at JM site now, I still struggle to sleep)

Andy

Oh no!  But that's the thing about collecting British, it's just crazy that People - including me- would rather not have the record without a centre than have one with the centre missing - just shows it's nothing to do with the music really and it's more of an obsession.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh no!  But that's the thing about collecting British, it's just crazy that People - including me- would rather not have the record without a centre than have one with the centre missing - just shows it's nothing to do with the music really and it's more of an obsession.

Whereas, I'd rather have the record without a centre on British (if found cheap enough), whilst continuing to look for a replacement with a centre, than not have it at all.

And yet, I don't want it at all on American, if I know it came out on British. Not including recent releases aimed specifically towards our scene.

Edited by denbo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Love Lou Johnson, to use a cliche he could sing the phone book. Yes for me Roy edges it on this but would be very happy with an acetate of Lou's version, very happy :)

It's on a Kent cd.

There's also a bootleg 7" with a fake Big Top label...has "Unsatisfied" on the flip, though can't recall if its the extended version or not.

Social source share

Lou Johnson version is obviously a demo (IMO). So it's not really comparable to a fully orchestrated song like Roy Hamilton. I think RH's voice fits such a big city beat ballad much better than LJ.

I've never thought of it as a demo Benji. It has brass, vibes, big girl group backing vocals and Lou certainly sings it like he would have on record. Maybe it would have had strings added before issue but everything else is perfect. I'll ask his wife what he recalls about it.

Biased I know, but I was never a fan of Roy H's vocals and when I found this my prayers were answered.

Social source share

Biased I know, but I was never a fan of Roy H's vocals and when I found this my prayers were answered.

:ohmy:

Always a close race between Lou and Roy, but Roy wins out on this one for me...vocally and production-wise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's on a Kent cd.

There's also a bootleg 7" with a fake Big Top label...has "Unsatisfied" on the flip, though can't recall if its the extended version or not.

Thanks

I know about the Kent release but didn't know about the boot.

I maybe should have mentioned I was talking about an original unrealesed acetate (if one exists?) as opposed to a carver.

I'm assuming Kent got it from tape but wonder if it ever got to an acetate or just stayed in the can?

Social source share

Thanks

I know about the Kent release but didn't know about the boot.

I maybe should have mentioned I was talking about an original unrealesed acetate (if one exists?) as opposed to a carver.

I'm assuming Kent got it from tape but wonder if it ever got to an acetate or just stayed in the can?

I thought Ady had the acetate years before Kent got the Lou Johnson tapes - I'm talking 1991-ish here

Social source share

I know a Ady owns both the 'Lou Johnson' acetate and now more recently the Unsatisfied extended cut. Interesting that they've been booted on the same 45 cos I know he wouldn't have done this.

I have the RH 45 which I adore but I really love the Unreleased cut for the mind blowing backing vocals. Sounds like angels innit.

Edited by mattbolton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!