Big Money, Low Regard

ulyssees

So, you reckon a Darrell Banks on an unreleased UK London issue isn't rare?

Don't you understand English? Why pay all that money for a label? It's just stamp collecting. The recording is very easily available on the original US issue, so I can't see the point in spending huge amounts of money on what is really a reissue.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Don't you understand English? Why pay all that money for a label? It's just stamp collecting. The recording is very easily available on the original US issue, so I can't see the point in spending huge amounts of money on what is really a reissue.

Christ, don't you know nout? Obviosly the London copy sounds better. Why else would anyone pay 15000 quid for it?  :g:

Social source share

That's a lot of money for what is fundamentally a re-issue, it's funny because I read so much negative stuff on this site about repro's, boots and re-issues and then there's a foreign (not country of origin) re-issue selling for very large amount of wonga when you could buy a bonafide original for a fraction of the price. Maybe the buyer collects only re-issues!. It all seems a bit crazy to this old Teddy Boy. Pass us the brylcream  and a number 6 would ya............

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's interesting to see the stamp collecting analogy raised - it simply highlights that both are equally as invalid.

This end of collecting is for conceitedness not for the pure love of the music and wish to own a recording in its original format in order to mark the personal honouring of the recording - this is just about being able to sit there and feel superior to everyone else because you have lots of money.

It would be different if it were something magnificent but insanely rare (like the Mello Souls for instance) - rather than a very common record in the States in a novelty format.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I understand English well enough thank you. What you don't understand is the mentality of collectors, which you're obviously not. The recording is easily available on a US issue like you say but that's not the point. The point is that collectors like to have records in its rarest format, ie a withdrawn UK London issue. I know I do, and I can now keep looking for a second hand copy without paying £15,000 because I know there are copies out there.

Let me ask you this; which would you prefer, The Ivories on Wand or The Ivorys on Despenza?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's a lot of money for what is fundamentally a re-issue, it's funny because I read so much negative stuff on this site about repro's, boots and re-issues and then there's a foreign (not country of origin) re-issue selling for very large amount of wonga when you could buy a bonafide original for a fraction of the price. Maybe the buyer collects only re-issues!. It all seems a bit crazy to this old Teddy Boy. Pass us the brylcream  and a number 6 would ya............

Certain 'Teddy Boys', collect records on London, amongst other UK labels, I don't think they consider them 'reissues'. Besides, it's all about having a record on its rarest format. Of all those passing comment on here, I'd have thought you'd be the first to grasp that?

Social source share

Actually, it is really no different to the black ABC Yum Yums turning up, after it was thought to be demo only for 30 years.

Meanwhile, while you've all been 'looking the other way', JM has put another mint Eddie Parker up and it is already over £2k.

Edited by Peter Richer
Social source share

This end of collecting is for conceitedness not for the pure love of the music and wish to own a recording in its original format in order to mark the personal honouring of the recording - this is just about being able can sit there and feel superior to everyone else because you have lots of money.

It's not though. What it is, is that we all now know for sure that where there is one copy on a London issue, there might well be more, and we can all now continue crate digging for other copies, without having to pay £15,000. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Certain 'Teddy Boys', collect records on London, amongst other UK labels, I don't think they consider them 'reissues'. Besides, it's all about having a record on its rarest format. Of all those passing comment on here, I'd have thought you'd be the first to grasp that?

There's plenty of heavyweight London collectors out there.  I would love this record to go to a London collector rather than a soul collector.

Social source share

I understand English well enough thank you. What you don't understand is the mentality of collectors, which you're obviously not. The recording is easily available on a US issue like you say but that's not the point. The point is that collectors like to have records in its rarest format, ie a withdrawn UK London issue. I know I do, and I can now keep looking for a second hand copy without paying £15,000 because I know there are copies out there.

Let me ask you this; which would you prefer, The Ivories on Wand or The Ivorys on Despenza?

Everyone's idea of collecting and what and how they collect is different though.  UK releases have held little interest to me over the years, much preferring to collect on the US release as after all US Soul music is what I collect.  Each to their own, I'd ,such prefer the Revolt demo, yes I'd love to find one of these London Issues but it would be sold PDQ to fund more of what interested me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Have you never heard of "sarcasm" Mick? Rod is very fond of it.

I prefer "tongue in cheek"  Phil.

And perhaps some are being a bit unfair re the reasons this 45 went for so much money.

Some collectors have been very successful [the b**tards] in their lives and a 45 like this will fit in with what they already have.

Rather than a trophy piece it may be just the jewel in their crown. And if they can afford it.......

ROD

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Despenza of course, the first press. If I got a Wand copy I'd sell it on and buy a Despenza and keep the change for another 45.

Never understood the British label obsession. And I've never been a collector, it's what's in the grooves that count. I would rather have a mint issue of a rare record than a VG W/DJ copy. Can't stand clicking and popping me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Despenza of course, the first press. If I got a Wand copy I'd sell it on and buy a Despenza and keep the change for another 45.

Never understood the British label obsession. And I've never been a collector, it's what's in the grooves that count. I would rather have a mint issue of a rare record than a VG W/DJ copy. Can't stand clicking and popping me.

That's fair enough. So, it's each to their own then, eh? No need to pass judgement on those that think differently to you. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well me and my Teddy Boy mates all understand that the London issues are just re-issues of the USA originals and there is no disputing that. They are re-issues because they all came out AFTER the original USA issues. As for your comment 'It's all about having the record on it's rarest format', - please tell me you are joking, that is just a stamp collecting, these records are supposed to do what they were designed for, which is to be played, hopefully danced to and enjoyed. Just got to go and get my drape pressed by the Missus............

Social source share

Well me and my Teddy Boy mates all understand that the London issues are just re-issues of the USA originals and there is no disputing that. They are re-issues because they all came out AFTER the original USA issues. As for your comment 'It's all about having the record on it's rarest format', - please tell me you are joking, that is just a stamp collecting, these records are supposed to do what they were designed for, which is to be played, hopefully danced to and enjoyed. Just got to go and get my drape pressed by the Missus............

Well, that's one way of looking at it I suppose. My argument is that a record released in THIS country can't be a reissue until it's been released at least once already, in THIS country. As for a British release being a 'reissue' of an American release, surely you can see that a release in this country is a commercial progression of something that is designed to reach as many people as possible, thereby making it a chart hit around the world. Same goes in reverse when a record is released here in the UK first.

Social source share

Well, that's one way of looking at it I suppose. My argument is that a record released in THIS country can't be a reissue until it's been released at least once already, in THIS country. As for a British release being a 'reissue' of an American release, surely you can see that a release in this country is a commercial progression of something that is designed to reach as many people as possible, thereby making it a chart hit around the world. Same goes in reverse when a record is released here in the UK first.

No, That's the only way of looking at it, there can only be ONE ORIGINAL pressing, all others are second, third or fourth pressings. The London pressing in question is an original Uk pressing but it is still a second pressing overall and still a re-issue of the one true ORIGINAL pressing. Simples............

I must get going as 'On The Buses' is just about to start "Veraaa!"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think we have 45+ years of rare soul collecting to say that,although Stomping's explanation is logical to a limited extent, practice and accepted definitions on our scene means London is first original UK issue.

Not even sure if Stomping's theory was true that the London would be the second pressing or re-issue due to releases in other countries beside UK and USA. Canada ?

As he says though immaterial. Meant to be played and enjoyed.

When did Northern become less anarchic and more archival ?

Someone told me once that Rock n Roll collectors don't like UK demos. Prefer regular issues. No idea if true.

ROD

Social source share

Despenza any day. US format. Local label. Vinyl. Who needs rare releases on common labels, possibly on styrene. Revilot would suffice for virtually anyone serious about the music. London release in a picture frame or a bank vault just doesn't impress.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think we have 45+ years of rare soul collecting to say that,although Stomping's explanation is logical to a limited extent, practice and accepted definitions on our scene means London is first original UK issue.

Not even sure if Stomping's theory was true that the London would be the second pressing or re-issue due to releases in other countries beside UK and USA. Canada ?

As he says though immaterial. Meant to be played and enjoyed.

When did Northern become less anarchic and more archival ?

Someone told me once that Rock n Roll collectors don't like UK demos. Prefer regular issues. No idea if true.

ROD

Hi Rod, I can only speak for myself but this old Teddy Boy doesn't really care about demo/ regular issues as long as the damn thing plays well. Given the choice at the same price and condition on a particular record I would probably take the demo as the chances are you would be buying a better quality pressing. In the 50's quite a few of the DJ 'demo' copies were pressed on better quality vinyl, sometimes coloured (pure) and also, obviously, earlier off the stamper. It's widely accepted that quite a few of the big hits on specialty records were run from a single pair of stampers which means the quality after the first 50,000 pressed drops dramatically, after 200,000 the stampers degrade and the musical content gets 'thin'. The Little Richard hits are hard to find on good quality pressings as they sold so many. This was apparently due to Art Rupe (label owner) being notoriously tight fisted!

I find your comment about my explanation being correct to a 'limited extent' baffling, also the statement 'practice and accepted definitions on our scene'?? I think you lot need to wake up and smell the coffee, a second pressing is a re-issue to the one (and there can be only one) ORIGINAL pressing. That is true wether the ORIGINAL pressing is USA, UK or for arguments sake, German!

This is also interesting when it comes to original label variations, quite often an ORIGINAL pressing of a record can be available on slightly differing label variations and a lot of time and energy is put into working out which is the true 'first press' ORIGINAL pressing. It then baffles me that you lot welcome with open arms such crazy prices on a bang to rights bonafide re-issue on a totally different (in this case London) pressing.

Your point is interesting about the possibility that the London pressing of the Banks 45 may be even a third or fourth press due to it being re-issued in other countries before the UK (re-) issue.

I guess this old Teddy Boy is obviously missing something here but I would finish on this, the general population of the planet thought the world was flat until somebody pointed out and proved otherwise. There can only be ONE TRUE ORIGINAL pressing of a record regardless of your 45 years + of experience on the soul scene and I think you have obviously got the wrong (and far more expensive!) end of the stick on this point. Now where did I put those fluorescent socks............?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have always found this derogatory attitude about British (UK) soul releases being nothing more than reissues to be very sad, they are the bedrock of the mod/soul and later northernsoul scene. Perhaps not the London release but without the Stateside release how many of us would have heard and fell in love with the voice and work of Darrell Banks ?

And while were at it let's give Angel Baby on Red Atlantic a big shout too :thumbsup:

Dave :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I have always found this derogatory attitude about British (UK) soul releases being nothing more than reissues to be very sad, they are the bedrock of the mod/soul and later northernsoul scene. Perhaps not the London release but without the Stateside release how many of us would have heard and fell in love with the voice and work of Darrell Banks ?

And while were at it let's give Angel Baby on Red Atlantic a big shout too :thumbsup:

UK labels are as valid as US labels IMHO it's just a personal thing, or snobbery?

Still looking for white demos of Soul Junction label, bloody hard, never seen one, daily search on auction sites but to no avail!

HELP! :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

UK labels are as valid as US labels IMHO it's just a personal thing, or snobbery?

Still looking for white demos of Soul Junction label, bloody hard, never seen one, daily search on auction sites but to no avail!

HELP! :wicked:

Yo Dave

I'll see if I can bleach a couple of issue copies up over the holiday just for you ! :lol:

A Darrell Banks tribute feature on your radio show me thinks ?

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

It's just mental to say that this is a re-issue.

It's a contemporaneous release in another country on another label.

How does that make it a re-issue? Not being the first issue, as in the USA, does not make it a re-issue in the UK.

And in this instance contemporaneous means the same period of time even if there is a time lag between the US date and UK date of issue, which some have suggested.

Licencing agreements have existed throughout time and different tracks appear in different countries on different labels. Not being the first issue does not make them re-issues.

Surely if Revilot had issued it in '66 and then say again in '69 that would have been a re-issue. The same would have applied if Stateside (or London for that matter) had done the same.

The key here is "again" which cannot apply to the UK release.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was going to say,where does that leave the Stateside release.? Almost a boot. :lol: Well said Dave. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi, The records you are talking about are 'original UK issues' but they are still re-issues of the ORIGINAL US pressings.

This is how the music arrived in it's earliest form onto the market and thus makes the US pressing the one and only original pressing. Just because this is way a lot of great music was introduced to people over here who had no access to the US originals at the time of issue in the 60's does not then exclude the fact that these are secondary issues, and it certainly does not therefore make them 'more original'.

You can't have two ORIGINAL (different) pressings and call them both original in the same way. One must be the original and the other a copy of that original.

I just looked up the word 'ORIGINAL' on the online dictionary and it states:

B1 [usually before noun] existing since the beginning, or being the earliest form of something:

Social source share

Yes mate and I've just looked up the word 'Pedantic' a person who is excessively concerned with details and rules !!

Although alot of people try and rewrite the history of soul music i'm afraid the Stateside label was the main protagonist in the Darrell Banks  story. :yes:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Yo Dave

I'll see if I can bleach a couple of issue copies up over the holiday just for you ! :lol:

A Darrell Banks tribute feature on your radio show me thinks ?

Dave

Would love to but would never think about putting a needle on it! It's at the frame makers as we speak :D

Social source share

A bit wary of dragging this into a fascinating discussion, but the differing views over what constitutes original and re-issue just begs to at least have a passing reference to the OVO debate.

If the person who bought this Stock London copy was to play it out, would the floor empty? After all, it's not a bootleg, and it would appear to have the seal of approval on being ultra-rare, but does the Revilot version call trumps?

Edited by seano
Social source share

If the person who bought this Stock London copy was to play it out, would the floor empty? After all, it's not a bootleg, and it would appear to have the seal of approval on being ultra-rare, but does the Revilot version call trumps?

Do floors empty when a repress is played? How do dancers know what issue it is? At my soul club we have only been playing originals but we want different music each time and playing repress opens you up to being able to play a lot more great tunes which is what it's all about. My new years resolution will be to play represses sometimes at Bless My Soul!

Also I'm a bit new- what's "OVO debate." please? original versus o....???

Social source share

Right then as I understand it in my world, assuming All recordings follow the same path ( major labels) as I have various items of the these ( bar the tape) in my collection.

order of Originality

Recording tape

In house acetate

Test pressing

Demo/promo

Issue

therefore only the acetate ( as far as DJs are concerned ) should be spun as original! It would be a small scene :g:

Soul music, like  collecting is an idividual thing, based on many parameters, again these change based on the individual. Why is it as a forum, we cant just be happy for the individual? Green eyed maybe, but hey it's bloody Christmas.

I have pushed the boat out over the years for some tunes I have chased for longer than I would care to remember. Some being because I couldn't afford them at the time or missed out on getting one, so I for one am not gonna criticise current prices, as I have no control over them.

In fact it's better than having stocks & shares as I have seen hard to find £50/£75 records back in the day, fetching hundreds if not 4 figures and 30p records now a tenner at least. whether it's a £20k record or £10, the artistes etc don't get a penny so think what they must be feeling, if they are still here, let alone us collectors?

Happy Christmas fellow Soul fans and hopefully your missus has bought you the DBs without you knowing......Oouch!

Dave H.

Edited by reforee
Social source share

Do floors empty when a repress is played? How do dancers know what issue it is? At my soul club we have only been playing originals but we want different music each time and playing repress opens you up to being able to play a lot more great tunes which is what it's all about. My new years resolution will be to play represses sometimes at Bless My Soul!

Uh oh! ... Here we go. Brace yourselves everyone.

Part 97 of the debate is about to continue ...

Social source share

Yes mate and I've just looked up the word 'Pedantic' a person who is excessively concerned with details and rules !!

Although alot of people try and rewrite the history of soul music i'm afraid the Stateside label was the main protagonist in the Darrell Banks  story. :yes:

Dave

Hey, it's not me who brought up the re-issue thing, this is just my viewpoint which is based on facts rather than some romantic, I must hang on to my youth, oh it was better back in the day, if only these youngsters knew, kind of non-reality.

You carry on blowing 15k on re-issues just so you can show how big your knob is.

Stamp collectors!!!. I love 'em, now where's my bootlace tie..................

• Helpful 2
Social source share

OVO stands for an approach where the playlist is Original Vinyl Only. The reason I mentioned it was just that it struck me that there have been several mentions on this thread that all that matters is the music itself, and buying a record like this Darrell Banks is just a vanity project and a massive waste of money.

For most of us it's probably academic anyway, but surely most if not all of us here 'get' the attraction of having the actual record, and can understand why having one that has such history as this one does would give you goose pimples? I'm nowhere near this level, being more into Soul packs back in the day, junk shops and cheapo sections in any record shop I might find, but it's still a bit of an buzz to find that a record you got for around 10p and kept because you liked it now goes for £40 or £50.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Original Vinyl Only, Stephen…. I'll tell you if no one else will!

edit: beat me to it Sean

Edited by SoulStu
Social source share

Hey, it's not me who brought up the re-issue thing, this is just my viewpoint which is based on facts rather than some romantic, I must hang on to my youth, oh it was better back in the day, if only these youngsters knew, kind of non-reality.

You carry on blowing 15k on re-issues just so you can show how big your knob is.

Stamp collectors!!!. I love 'em, now where's my bootlace tie..................

In the words of that 'old sage' Michael Winner "calm down dear"

No one's trying to hang on to his youth or any romantic ideals etc just asking people to respect the foundation's of the soul scene which UK labels were a major part and influence of. Although I do like listening to the ramblings of my forebearer's of when Okeh copies of Billy Butler's "I Can't Work No Longer" and the "Vibrations "Soul A Go-Go " were  tunes to sacrifice a kidney for. :yes:

Oh! and just for the record I own a Revilot demo of Darrell Banks even though I've had every other vinyl permutation UK and US of it through my hands over the years with the exception of the London issue. Without getting  a wooden rule out and looking at the advent calendar in freebasing I would assume my Knob to be of average size, although the one in the middle of my forehead might be a different matter.  :lol:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

In the words of that 'old sage' Michael Winner "calm down dear"

No one's trying to hang on to his youth or any romantic ideals etc just asking people to respect the foundation's of the soul scene which UK labels were a major part and influence of. Although I do like listening to the ramblings of my forebearer's of when Okeh copies of Billy Butler's "I Can't Work No Longer" and the "Vibrations "Soul A Go-Go " were  tunes to sacrifice a kidney for. :yes:

Oh! and just for the record I own a Revilot demo of Darrell Banks even though I've had every other vinyl permutation UK and US of it through my hands over the years with the exception of the London issue. Without getting  a wooden rule out and looking at the advent calendar in freebasing I would assume my Knob to be of average size, although the one in the middle of my forehead might be a different matter.  :lol:

Dave

I'm very calm dear so please don't fret, it's you who made this personal by accusing me of being pedantic when I feel I was just stating facts as I see them. I wasn't aiming my comments at anyone in particular just anyone who cares to read a few different viewpoints on the 'message board'.

I think maybe you feel a bit distressed that I've questioned your record collecting choices by suggesting you collect re-issues. I wouldn't worry, I buy re-issues and originals too. it's really no big deal. 

I guess I'm just an old teddy Boy who doesn't understand the subtleties of collecting on the Soul scene. 

I own the Revilot 45 too and personally I'm happy save the other £14,970 to spend on other true ORIGINAL US records or re-issues that don't cost 15K a pop, there's some great one's out there for £6.00 each!

Just got to go and sort my DA out as it's Christmas, gaawd bless ya!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!