Empty Dancefloor - Dj Reactions

Liamgp

Now this is a tricky one...seeing your post reminded me...remember two or three years ago playing Matthew Barnett in the Rare Room at Brid...packed floor...someone else played it..same room,same crowd the following night..emptied the floor..explain that one????????

As I said in an earlier post with ref someone playing 'seemingly' the same records as someone else (but it not 'working' for them) There is a way of playing them, but it's impossible to explain - More so, because different D.J's have different ways of making it work for them (their individual unique 'somat else') :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As I said in an earlier post with ref someone playing 'seemingly' the same records as someone else (but it not 'working' for them) There is a way of playing them, but it's impossible to explain - More so, because different D.J's have different ways of making it work for them (their individual unique 'somat else') :wink:

All the best,

Oh thats very helpful Len.... "impossible to explain" Try and give your best shot at tuition, theres 1 or 2 of us 'failing' dj's :)

Social source share

Oh thats very helpful Len.... "impossible to explain" Try and give your best shot at tuition, theres 1 or 2 of us 'failing' dj's :)

That comes across as if you get the impression I am saying all D.J's are useless - I'm not, I'm saying D.Jing is an art, and not everyone can do it.....If you gave me the best hand made set of paint brushes, my 5 year old daughter could still paint a better picture than me with just her fingers.

I hope that explains it.

I suppose that 'somat else' I keep mentioning is actually the D.J's personality.

That's the best I can do mate - Feel free anyone else, to explain it another way (Mick?) :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

That comes across as if you get the impression I am saying all D.J's are useless - I'm not, I'm saying D.Jing is an art, and not everyone can do it.....If you gave me the best hand made set of paint brushes, my 5 year old daughter could still paint a better picture than me with just her fingers.

I hope that explains it.

I suppose that 'somat else' I keep mentioning is actually the D.J's personality.

That's the best I can do mate - Feel free anyone else, to explain it another way (Mick?) :D 

All the best,

1 or 2 = "all"?

Social source share

I've said it before it isn't always the DJ's fault.  You/they could be booked to play a particular type of set but it is totally worng for the crowd, or much of the crowd but it is what the promoter wanted.

Not sure if it`s been mentioned or not as i`ve not trawled through the whole thread. 

People don`t realise that 50% of folk do not dance, so that`s half of them that just listen....and enjoy what your playing! Just because no one or not many are on the floor does not mean no one likes the record your playing. So no, I don`t agree that an empty floor means your shit, as some pointed out without thinking it through....and one or two of those I know do not dance at all.  :rolleyes:

Edit: Occasionally I will prime the crowd with "You may not have heard this before so you may not dance, but have a listen and let me know what you think." 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I hope that explains it.

All the best,

I Understand exactly where your coming from Len the more soul you've got in you the more you can give out especially with music you can't explain that to people who have not got it they just don't get it. I JUST LOVE MAKING PEOPLE HAPPY giving them good memories and if I can carry on doing that I'm happy when I don't think I can do it anymore I'll not need anybody to tell me to step down I will know and yes Len it is a bit of Magic and personality if you've lived a colourful life it can come across with the music you play to an extent the same record can have a different effect on people depending on who is playing it.some people might try to analyse what I've just said instead of just accepting We all need a bit more Magic in the World  especially on the soul scene where  people still go I expect to have a good time.Happiness and soul does not depend on record labels and expensive tunes otherwise you end up with schoolyard scenario where the kids all argue who,s got the dearest trainers it's the same mindset nothing to do with soul.

keep on Pressing on Mick L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

50% of a room are non dancers as someone rightly pointed out, they could be well pleased with whats played, are we saying it's the dancers that dictate whether or not a dj was successful? Admittedly, a busy dancefloor does help

Social source share

I'm reminded of that brilliant Morecambe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn where Previn says to Eric "You are playing all the wrong notes", to which Eric replied, "I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"

Isn't DJ ing largely about playing all the right records in the right order, with the better ones being more adept at spotting what that is?

Stitching a set together, that`s the rocket science part of DJing.....not many have the correct gene :)

50% of a room are non dancers as someone rightly pointed out, they could be well pleased with whats played, are we saying it's the dancers that dictate whether or not a dj was successful? Admittedly, a busy dancefloor does help

A good DJ will know if he`s delivering what to who, and in the right doses! 

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

DJing's easy just smoke a spliff go and do it then after what seems a short while you realise the hours up and are totally oblivious to what's happened during the last sixty minutes. I did used to get a bit anxious when djing now couldn't give a fcuk what happens really . Had one brutal moment when played Robbie Lawson and emptied the floor and thought fcuk this I'm off but that was my breaking point and never give it another thought after that, they either dance or not. Regards S.

Social source share

Stitching a set together, that`s the rocket science part of DJing.....not many have the correct gene :)

A good DJ will know if he`s delivering what to who, and in the right doses! 

"But", compared to all other genres of music.... are the Soul folk the easiest to please? we are a very choosy lot :)

Social source share

1 or 2 = "all"?

What I meant was, your reply came across as somewhat aggressive / sarcastic as if you get the impression that I think I'm an expert, and the only one who understands. So I was reassuring you that if this was the case, it wasn't intentional. I do believe I know what I'm talking about though, as I have learnt something in the 30 years that I have been D.Jing / seeing other D.J's.

I still take my D.Jing extremely seriously (I want to do a good job of it every time) I still get criticism, but excepted a very long time ago that it comes with the territory. Sometimes lesser experienced D.J's don't handle critism very well because they take it so personally - It is simply a difference of opinion. I can relate to that though, I am always disappointed if just one moan out of a hall full of people comes my way (after putting in everything I’ve got to make it work)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I Understand exactly where your coming from Len the more soul you've got in you the more you can give out especially with music you can't explain that to people who have not got it they just don't get it. I JUST LOVE MAKING PEOPLE HAPPY giving them good memories and if I can carry on doing that I'm happy when I don't think I can do it anymore I'll not need anybody to tell me to step down I will know and yes Len it is a bit of Magic and personality if you've lived a colourful life it can come across with the music you play to an extent the same record can have a different effect on people depending on who is playing it.some people might try to analyse what I've just said instead of just accepting We all need a bit more Magic in the World  especially on the soul scene where  people still go I expect to have a good time.Happiness and soul does not depend on record labels and expensive tunes otherwise you end up with schoolyard scenario where the kids all argue who,s got the dearest trainers it's the same mindset nothing to do with soul.

keep on Pressing on Mick L

Nice one Mick, I've said for years that the same record can sound completely different when played by someone else (having a different effect as you put it) It goes back to - It's the way you play them (Or 'tell em') :wink: 

Same joke told by two different people - Only the one with the 'timing' gets the laugh.....Now why is that?......'Magic' :wink: 

Another interesting point you make is the having a colourful life, and that coming through - Without going into detail, my life definitely reflects my sets.......Everyone goes home depressed, but at least it's soulful! :lol:

:hatsoff2:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

As we've got on about the mechanics of djing I would advise anyone to hear a set done by either Bob Hinsley or Arthur Fenn.I don't mean the records they play but how they weave a set seamlessly together,going between tempos & genres without you even knowing it.Masters of there craft imo.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm reminded of that brilliant Morecambe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn where Previn says to Eric "You are playing all the wrong notes", to which Eric replied, "I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"

Isn't DJ ing largely about playing all the right records in the right order, with the better ones being more adept at spotting what that is?

Read my signature below, just above where it says "MIDTEMPO ACTIVIST!" :thumbup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

depends how much gear (has it kicked in) and beer the dancers have had as well  :wicked:

Ay up Chalky

Great night on Sat M8

I Don't drink or  do gear well Half a pint of beer I listen to nu toooooooooooons to me & i have the odd dance 

When i DJ i enjoy myself i never intend to fill a dance floor but i watch for head nodders & foot tappers  :wicked: but when somebody has a jig about on the floor i just  :)  other than that i'm there to educate try & take soul music forward 

I did warm up spots for Keith Minshull for 4yrs had loads of knockers used to bother me but not now I JUST DO'NT GIVE A F**K m8

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A D.J has been successful if he 'connects' with the people, whether they be on the dance floor, at the bar, or on the roof! Everyone knows when that connection has happened.

IMHO of course mate :wink: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Neil.

That Trend seems to be occurring in the city centre venues where you have a generally much younger audiences looking for something less mainstream. And some of the more younger /aware djs have cottoned on to that

Steve

Not really the case. The younger dj's in question have been playing/collecting soul orientated tunes for many a year and due to lack of opportunities to dj at established venues, as a result of short sighted promoters,

have established their own nights playing their own particular brand of underplayed music.

Also some of the venues are not in the city centres and therefore do not rely on passing footfall, wether young or old.

ROY

Social source share

City centre are an exception.  They have universities and will as a rule attract a younger crowd.  However most don't travel and I would imagine most leave the scene once they have settled into adult life.  But on the scene generally the more mature amongst us vastly out number the youngsters.

Are you making the above assumptions based on your experience and knowledge of the dj,s and venues concerned, if so......

The third sentence of your statement is wrong again Chalky!

ROY

Social source share

I had an empty floor a couple of times on Saturday night.

On one occasion I stuck Court Davis on and one bloke got up. Danced on his own looking like he was in soul heaven throughout the whole record. Made it worthwhile :thumbsup:

If i had been there i would have been in heaven next to the guy.I was when you spun it at wetherby a couple of years back and the floor was a bit sparse.After your spot i thanked you for playing Herbie Wiliams it made my month,now thats DJ Power
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's got to be turn to the wife after killing the dance floor with what I thought where not bad tune , the wife came up and asked for her favorite tune , hey presto floor was buzzing

Paul

Once said to my wife.....why don't you do the wifey thing & dance to all my spot.........her reply certainly put me in my place...........because you play some shit :ohmy: :( :lol: .........she's probably right :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

After 40 odd years most of us have ossified and our receptors are finely tuned to certain sounds , we can easily discern what we think is good and the opposite of this , I certainly don't need anyone telling me what's good or what I should like .

At my time in life I am happy with what I like and certainly don't get fed up of hearing it , yes the odd new tune does get through but not the quantities that were discovered back in the day , so for those of you on a mission to find the holy grail I say carry on ,but in your quest don't try and make me think I am missing something or not with it,. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Playing what you consider to be some great stuff to an empty floor surrounded by people talking and drinking. Do you:

Carry on and just play what you want to hear

Panic and start looking for sure-fire stuff in your box

Get on the mic and berate the crowd for their lack of taste

Burst into tears, storm off stage and vow never to DJ again

or...?

Put the bootlegs away and play some original vinyl. No one's fooled by Eddie Parker, Mello Souls and Al Williams these days so put on some cheap oldies. Use the warm up slot at the start to mix things up a bit, and if no one dances, hand over to the next DJ pretty smartish.

Social source share

What I meant was, your reply came across as somewhat aggressive / sarcastic as if you get the impression that I think I'm an expert, and the only one who understands. So I was reassuring you that if this was the case, it wasn't intentional. I do believe I know what I'm talking about though, as I have learnt something in the 30 years that I have been D.Jing / seeing other D.J's.

I still take my D.Jing extremely seriously (I want to do a good job of it every time) I still get criticism, but excepted a very long time ago that it comes with the territory. Sometimes lesser experienced D.J's don't handle critism very well because they take it so personally - It is simply a difference of opinion. I can relate to that though, I am always disappointed if just one moan out of a hall full of people comes my way (after putting in everything I’ve got to make it work)

All the best,

With the confidence you have Len why no dj spots anywhere or are they just local do's. I cannot criticize you as a dj as i have never heard you out anywhere, i wouldn't anyway, it's just that you appear to have lot's of answers to the correct way to dj. Personally, unless you are a professional dj i think it's the mood of the night and luck for the attributes. :)

Social source share

Its all really about balance like chalky has already mentioned:- knowing whats been advertised for that venue, what the ppl who attend really want to dance to or react to and what you want to dare play as you have to educate at the sametime I believe as a DJ as some do want to listen to sounds they possibly haven't heard before.

I recently played Come on back - Brothers of Soul at a local venue, cleared the total floor, replaced it with M.V.Ps, floor filled, played Footsteps - Creations, emptied the floor, replaced by The Contours - Hit & Run which again filled the floor, played Wil Collins & Willpower & Wooden Nickels, floor emptied and so on  ............

So I suppose if you want good reaction you have to play what the floor demands, whether they want shite or quality, LOL

Edited by NSG
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its all really about balance like chalky has already mentioned:- knowing whats been advertised for that venue, what the ppl who attend really want to dance to or react to and what you want to dare play as you have to educate at the sametime I believe as a DJ as some do want to listen to sounds they possibly haven't heard before.

I recently played Come on back - Brothers of Soul at a local venue, cleared the total floor, replaced it with M.V.Ps, floor filled, played Footsteps - Creations, emptied the floor, replaced by The Contours - Hit & Run which again filled the floor, played Wil Collins & Willpower & Wooden Nickels, floor emptied and so on  ............

So I suppose if you want good reaction you have to play what the floor demands, whether they want shite or quality, LOL

Brilliant dj'ing, giving the punters a rest in between  :thumbsup:

Edited by soultrainer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

All the best,

Social source share

With the confidence you have Len why no dj spots anywhere or are they just local do's. I cannot criticize you as a dj as i have never heard you out anywhere, i wouldn't anyway, it's just that you appear to have lot's of answers to the correct way to dj. Personally, unless you are a professional dj i think it's the mood of the night and luck for the attributes. :)

If only you knew me - Confidence! Ok, to be fair, that is true to a point, but only in my opinions / taste in music / choice of people / choice of venue :wink: 

"why no dj spots anywhere?"........Slightly wrong that, I am more than happy, and feel very lucky to have had the opportunities that I have had over the years at various places. I don't feel I should list them because I believe that would be crass (the people who were there know) All I'll say is this - no they were not all 'local' (Far from it) :wink: 

"it's the mood of the night and luck for the attributes"........ Hey I'm only putting my views across, 'even I' get it wrong from time to time - Yes even 'moi' :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

some times with same tune different djs  1of them can have a big following  where they don't rate or know the other dj

Good point, and yes very true.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i think it depends what time you are djing ,people arrive meet friends ,have a few drinks and if its  a soul night don't get going till 9 to 10 , so if youre on at 7 sometimes it don't matter what you are playing,because some people are just not ready to dance.

Social source share

A good friend of mine was djing a few years ago to a crowd of about 250-300.

Bearing in mind my mate who I wont name and shame is 99.9% of the time a well mannered good natured man.

After his 4th / 5th record to an empty floor he proceeded by calling everyone a F***er and told them to get on dance floor..... Come on you Fookers lol

Best thing about it is that no one had taken any notice of him.

It still makes me chuckle today.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i think it depends what time you are djing ,people arrive meet friends ,have a few drinks and if its  a soul night don't get going till 9 to 10 , so if youre on at 7 sometimes it don't matter what you are playing,because some people are just not ready to dance.

you are right on this, my usual spot at the local soul nite is the first hour (7pm-8pm) so there are normally very few (under 12) people in, although i have had 1-2 people dancing on the very odd occasion it might only be to the odd 1-2 records.

all my playlists are listed on here so you can check yourselves, just check

Hibs soul club

Gilmerton soul club

in the playlists forum                                                                                                                                   all my hibs club stuff seems to have disappeared so try checking here

https://soulboyspromo.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

just type in hibs and look for gogs

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

you are right on this, my usual spot at the local soul nite is the first hour (7pm-8pm) so there are normally very few (under 12) people in, although i have had 1-2 people dancing on the very odd occasion it might only be to the odd 1-2 records.

all my playlists are listed on here so you can check yourselves, just check

Hibs soul club

Gilmerton soul club

in the playlists forum                                                                                                                                   all my hibs club stuff seems to have disappeared so try checking here

https://soulboyspromo.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

just type in hibs and look for gogs

Some decent stuff Gogs

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

Guest John Ambler

Playing what you consider to be some great stuff to an empty floor surrounded by people talking and drinking. Do you:

Carry on and just play what you want to hear

Panic and start looking for sure-fire stuff in your box

Get on the mic and berate the crowd for their lack of taste

Burst into tears, storm off stage and vow never to DJ again

or...?

Remember Butch at Bretby clearing the floor with Dennis Edwards 'I didn't have to' then saying something along the lines of 'that's the best record you'll hear all year and you must be a bunch of dickheads for not dancing to it' - something of a tumbleweed moment  :lol:

Social source share

Something along the lines like this happened to me put on Timi Yuro, no one got up at all, didnt panic just got on with it, then put on dust my broom, and couldnt see the dance floor it was packed. Think it just depends on the time of the night and what the current mood is in the room.

Filled the floor when you played it at Chester though. Suppose like others have said it's timing, venue/type of night

Social source share

I do as well Mick...I got the Acetate off Rob some years ago..played it out at The Wilton one night..guess what...cleared the floor with it.

Just goes to show

Hey John, its exactly what the thread is about,  Good stuff for those in the chairs and top 500 for the dance floor.

Mick 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!