Wrong side of Town

Rodders22

From JM's 6th edition price guide, (referring to the abbreviation "nor" in it's use to describe a northern soul record)

"A record that has been or could be played by a Northern Soul DJ"

Using this as a definition  WSOT would be classed as a Northern Soul record.

Could be a typo..

Should read Aberration - an abominable record that should never have pressed let alone played in public...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Racking my brains here over another one Levine championed for a time at the Rocket. I have it on a CD I can't find and it's doing my head in. It's on that CD 'Not Earthy Enough: Sound of the Rocket'. Anyone got a track listing?

Edit: Just remembered it - Jim Gilstrap - Run Run Run :)

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Racking my brains here over another one Levine championed for a time at the Rocket. I have it on a CD I can't find and it's doing my head in. It's on that CD 'Not Earthy Enough: Sound of the Rocket'. Anyone got a track listing?

Edit: Just remembered it - Jim Gilstrap - Run Run Run :)

That was on Bell, not a Levine production….pretty good record from c 1972 ish.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

That was on Bell, not a Levine production….pretty good record from c 1972 ish.

Yes that's the one Steve, I knew it wasn't one of Levines, it is pretty rare though isn't it? Didn't he sell his on to Tim Brown or something?

Social source share

Could be a typo..

Should read Aberration - an abominable record that should never have pressed let alone played in public...

Only thing wrong with that is it also refers to good Northern Soul records. But i can relate to the people that like this record (i have my own hates, Murial Day and The Poppies to name but 2 and i would rank TWST higher than these). But each to their own.

Social source share

Yes that's the one Steve, I knew it wasn't one of Levines, it is pretty rare though isn't it? Didn't he sell his on to Tim Brown or something?

Yes Brown got it. When he was selling up some years ago, I was the second person in there after Tim, and it had already gone. :facepalm:  Still after it as it happens....

Social source share

Hey Benji, If Levine hadn't tried to deceive the northern crowd, he would have got a lot more credit for the actual record content.

he didn't so here we are now with 166 Shouts, I will say one thing thou ! The Northern scene without these bods wouldn't be the same, and we wouldn't have anything to talk about. Rod

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Benji, If Levine hadn't tried to deceive the northern crowd, he would have got a lot more credit for the actual record content.

he didn't so here we are now with 166 Shouts, I will say one thing thou ! The Northern scene without these bods wouldn't be the same, and we wouldn't have anything to talk about. Rod

Hi Rod - the Northern scene would be better without these 'bods' and there would be a lot more positive things to talk about such a high quality rarities unearthed by hard working collectors and DJ's...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Rod - the Northern scene would be better without these 'bods' and there would be a lot more positive things to talk about such a high quality rarities unearthed by hard working collectors and DJ's...

Hi Frankie, I still think they played a part in our Music Scene (Good or Bad), and I would like to think we are all a bit wiser now. So let's all move forward ,if we can. Rod  :thumbsup:

Edited by Rodders22
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I like Gary Glitter, not the man, but when those singles came out, the early ones were great to a 12 / 13 year old kid.  Did a podcast recently and put Rock n Roll Pt 2 on, no complaints!

My Mum loved Gary Glitter and I remember the glitter band Lp being all over the place when I was about 13 I think ...come on , come on, come on come,on come on come on ,,,,,I said ! lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like Gary Glitter records. I think it's shameful that Mike Leander's productions are being excised from pop history along with the work of the musicians that played on them.

Very true.

Did you ever hear the version of "Put it where you want it" by Hot Rocks on UK Bell?  Version of The Crusaders, but produced by Mike Leander, and you can tell as there are still some Glitter Band drums in there, it's quite good.  Probably 1973 I'd have thought.

Found it

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Very true.

Did you ever hear the version of "Put it where you want it" by Hot Rocks on UK Bell?  Version of The Crusaders, but produced by Mike Leander, and you can tell as there are still some Glitter Band drums in there, it's quite good.  Probably 1973 I'd have thought.

Found it

Thanks for that - no, never heard it before. Not sure the Glitteresque drums add anything to be honest and I'd still go for the Crusaders but it's always interesting to hear stuff like that. I just remembered that one of the sax players from a later version of The Glitter Band (mid 80s) used to pop in a pub where i worked when he was in the area. He was a session man who had some hilarious and invariably alcohol fueled tales of life on the road.

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Everything in common except politics (and possibly funk and hip hop records) :thumbsup:

I was a card carrying member of the Labour Party until Blair got in...then it all started to change LOL

I like a lot of old hip hop, late 80's early 90's, not too keen on funk but not really heard that much.  

Social source share

I was a card carrying member of the Labour Party until Blair got in...then it all started to change LOL

I like a lot of old hip hop, late 80's early 90's, not too keen on funk but not really heard that much.  

My period of hip hop too: Stetsasonic, Main Source, Brand Nubian, UMCs - loved all that stuff. I'll sling a funk comp your way...

Social source share

My period of hip hop too: Stetsasonic, Main Source, Brand Nubian, UMCs - loved all that stuff. I'll sling a funk comp your way...

WHO ?

Not heard of any off them.

Fancy slinging a copy my way, in case i'm missing out.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

or we could start an old school hip hop topic in freebasing. That's probably the best idea so that a few other peeps on here could chuck their ideas in :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good idea

Social source share

• 2 years later...
23 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

That record was a disgrace totally phoney and anybody who didn't realise that certainly don't know as much about music as they think they do hence the embarrassment  from the so called boffins of ballyhoo DJ,s who fell for it, 

ML

That's the crux - the fact it made monkies out of supposed experts - gods know why, it stood out like a sore thumb to me.

If you listen closely to the lyrics it could be taken as a 'fuck you' to exactly the people it hoodwinked.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This record has served its purpose.........fool me once etc.

Gary Lewis and his fan daby dozi playboys filled the dancefloor's as well, but it's not in many folks top 15,000 now..........

Stick to the formula and you can't go wrong, stray a little and expect the unexpected. 

It was once estimated that there are 27,000 acceptable toon's to pick from and still be an 'ok kinda guy'.........

Give or take a few, that's about 26,500 underplayed 'acceptable' toon's that would not cause grief!!

Stick to the right side of town!

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!