Kent Loma box set of singles (& a CD too): pre-release

Seano

7 minutes ago, Seano said:

https://acerecords.co.uk/loma-northern-soul-classic-revelations-1964-1968

This looks interesting, both the CD and this set of 7 45s. Due to be released late January in the new year. Came across it via the Ace email newsletter today.

Looks great Sean ,both the singles and the CD .Ady has been playing The Marvellos “ It’s Your Love “ to huge acclaim at The 100 Club recently .Cheers Eddie 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Although the soundclip is also missing, the Apollas "Silver Moon" is very good,

It dates back much earlier than 2012 though.

Blue Max bought an unlabelled 10 inch acetate of it from Des Parker in early 2004 (I think it was from Des). Max didn't know who the arist was or the titles, only that Des had said it was a WB related disc.

However, as "Jive Cat" was on the flip, it then became apparent, they were the Apollas. I put it on a 7 inch for him. probably around 2005. (Des may have had it earlier of course). Was it you who found it Des ? @Md Records

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
typo
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 26/11/2022 at 09:41, Mick Holdsworth said:

Blue Max bought an unlabelled 10 inch acetate of it from Des Parker in early 2004 (I think it was from Des). Max didn't know who the arist was or the titles, only that Des had said it was a WB related disc.

However, as "Jive Cat" was on the flip, it then became apparent, they were the Apollas. I put it on a 7 inch for him. probably around 2005. (Des may have had it earlier of course). Was it you who found it Des ? @Md Records

Mick

Yes I did find it amongst some other Loma/WB acetates at a record show in Des Moines Iowa about 6 months before - The guy had a big pile of them, told me it was all Loma and WB acetates and sold me the lot for $100 - Didn't know who a lot of them were, though bizarrely do remember "Petula Clark - Don't Sleep In The Subway" being amongst them, and remember selling Max the best out of the bunch, in my opinion at the time - It is a good tune

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 1 month later...

My box set of the singles arrived this morning. Excellent photos and information in the accompanying leaflet (as you'd expect with Kent). Although I've got several of the 'This is Loma' compilation LPs, these are my first Loma singles, and what a joy they are to behold! Looking forward to a session listening to them all later on today. Thanks @Ady Croasdell 👏

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Marc Forrest said:

Just seen your tag @Amsterdam Russ,  hope your keeping well my friend. Great recordings but none from my "Loma vaults" if thats what you are asking ?  

All good here, @Marc Forrest. Thanks for asking, and likewise hope all is hunky-dory with you. It's been a while. Only asking about your Marvellos stuff out of curiosity relative to this new and very wonderful box set. If none of the recordings you have relate to the unreleased sessions presented in the box set then I wonder if the tracks were cut for Loma at all bearing in mind those sessions were typically done in sixes, ie, enough tracks for potentially three vinyl releases. Any evidence that 'your' recordings were actually for Loma and not WB or another label?

Social source share

5 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

All good here, @Marc Forrest. Thanks for asking, and likewise hope all is hunky-dory with you. It's been a while. Only asking about your Marvellos stuff out of curiosity relative to this new and very wonderful box set. If none of the recordings you have relate to the unreleased sessions presented in the box set then I wonder if the tracks were cut for Loma at all bearing in mind those sessions were typically done in sixes, ie, enough tracks for potentially three vinyl releases. Any evidence that 'your' recordings were actually for Loma and not WB or another label?

They are "Gold Star" acetates as I recall , if that helps ... ?

Marc put some snippets on FB but I won't post them here without his permission. 

Edited by Woodbutcher
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

They are "Gold Star" acetates as I recall , if that helps ... ?

Marc put some snippets on FB but I won't post them here without his permission. 

Thats right mate, Gold Star. The Marvelos except for their very last 45 (on Modern) only ever recorded for and on WB or its subsidaries Reprise and Loma. As one of them 4 tracks later found its way on to a WB 45 flipside ("Yes I Do") my guess is that these four tracks were done as rehearsal for the WB executives to decide wether they take the group from its soon to close  R&B subsidary LOMA to the mother label for greater exposure. Feel free to post the snippets if you like.

Some other LOMA connected tracks are by a group called the Fabulous Dynamics who went on to become the Soul Shakers. One of them tracks is an early work on "Somethings Burning". 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 21/01/2023 at 20:23, Happy Feet said:

Half way through this excellent box set , and noticed that the box set no. If my theory is correct, is on every individual 45 , if so that's a hell of a lot of planning and great idea .

So many great tunes too ! 

Cheers to Ady & The Team

Think the number is the same on them all, I've seen three box sets and the same number 20

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Think the number is the same on them all, I've seen three box sets and the same number 20

Yes it does , It was only a theory , I couldn't find any individual number as most box sets have , so none I guess means they're all as Limited as each other. I did think an extraordinary task , and probably impractical .Thanks for confirming Chalky .

Social source share

On 26/11/2022 at 09:41, Mick Holdsworth said:

The P date on a release refers to its first commercial release not the year of recording ( or when someone first found an acetate 😂

10 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Yes it does , It was only a theory , I couldn't find any individual number as most box sets have , so none I guess means they're all as Limited as each other. I did think an extraordinary task , and probably impractical .Thanks for confirming Chalky .

We didn’t number them intentionally 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Parcel waiting for me when I got home today and lifted my mood considerably! What a wonderful box set, thanks and well done to all involved, as always! I’ll also get the CD sometime soon for extra tracks etc on there. 

Edited by Scotters
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!