Chris King - Sad News RIP

18 minutes ago, El TAD said:

Just had message that came form his wife,that Chris passed away this morning.

I'm so sad for this to happen to the Best DJ that could read a dancefloor.

Cannot say anymore at present.

Martin Alsop

thanks for informing us Martin

My sincere condolences go to all his family and friends

Social source share

Yes so sad, a bit of an icon on the Northern Soul scene, a super DJ, knew how fill a dancefloor. We're all eternally grateful for that Motown stuff he unearthed. He's been around ever since the scene started, the likes of people him we just don't see anymore. RIP Chris.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Help to set a new standard of live Northern soul acts at the Hinckley all nighters. Popcorn, Eddie Holman, Junior Walker, Major Lance and of course Edwin Starr amongst others. Massive Motown advocate on the decks when djing at Hinckley even before the Motown discoveries. My condolences to his family and close friends. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

very very sad  new ,chris was one of the best dj's ever in my opinion  ,he showed me the way it needed to be done ,not about  rare expensive records  he would play  a record and say this one cost me 50p and fill  the floor ,a master at his work for sure  ,not seen him in years but many memorys ,god rest my old friend  ,you  put life in alfreton soul club many times,like  the song gone but never  forgotten 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Nottingham Palais,   late 70's

Chris King was a name that was synonymous with that and other Notts area venues, around that time.

big voice and always a busy dance floor.     my other memory of him, is walking up my home street, in grantham, to a TV repair shop...  lo and behold, theres 'kingy' buying a load of CB radios !!  then came 'please dont go'    then those great niters at Bretby .  where he broke 'when i feel the need'    WAIT FOR THE BEAT , came booming out of the speakers.     we owe a lot to CK,  especially the unreleased Motown .

RIP fella 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/03/2023 at 23:57, Montalbano 45 said:

The Bretby do’s were fantastic,when Chris brought over Kim Weston and Brenda Holloway for his birthday(and Dave Godin)an’ you got a free ‘love starved heart’ Gift ….RIP ….Bloke

That night involved Tommy Hunt, Ivy Jo Hunter and another? I think Kim & Brenda were on a separate later occasion. Great of him to bring these acts to sing at his events.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This is very sad news indeed..My fondest memory of chris was when i was flogging about 400 45,s and he came round to my house for a gander. He bought the lot that i put in an old suitcase for him to take away in his jag with a pile of "Blues & Soul" mags. My regret was he offered to take me into Nottingham to meet Popcorn Wylie who was on at Hinckley which sadly i couldnt accept, a big regret now years later. When we met up at his gigs we had a laugh about the suitcase.Great lad & Jock that will be missed by this fellow Nottingam native...  R.I.P. mate and condolences to his Family...God Bless

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Sincere apologies. I have only just seen and heard this sad news. I was only saying to a friend on Sunday about Chris's Motown trips in particular. I first met Chris after a Derby Assembly Rooms All Niter in Derby - 1979? Me and my mate were hitch hiking home and he picked us up in his Mercedes sports car - told my mate off for slamming the door too hard. Last caught up with him at Bretby, at his birthday bash. 

What a great loss, sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Peter 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!