JMAuction - 13/09/2023 - Results!

Zanetti

10 hours ago, Mgm 1251 said:

This is the W/D that was auctioned on AngloAmerican  last week...

C6EC6245-090B-463B-93DD-241556532EC4.jpeg

That is the certain exclusivity that JM has successfully and deservedly built up over decades.
Unfortunately, potential buyers forget to look to the left or to the right and thus also forget the other attractive possibilities.
There is no other explanation for these "nervous fingers".

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Russoul1 said:

£1500+ John bowie issue is madness....not even rare is it....so the next white demo that appears on auction..what £3000!!!!

Wow, I know we scorn doing this, but I got one for £80 in 1996/7, in fact the copy I bought off Paul Sutton had come via Butch, and I was told by Paul it had originated from John Bowie's brother.  £1500 in 2023 for an issue, thats beyond madness...

Btw, the flip "At the End of The Day" is really really good midtempo track...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

That is the certain exclusivity that JM has successfully and deservedly built up over decades.
Unfortunately, potential buyers forget to look to the left or to the right and thus also forget the other attractive possibilities.
There is no other explanation for these "nervous fingers".

Like Madonna's nickers, Mick Jagger's cigarettes blunt or Michael's glove he achieved to built a 'fan' community whose cult is worshipping everything that 'JM' touched. Them wanting 'a piece of him' comes to a costs... LOL !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Maybe the lengthy sales blurb and juicy descriptions go some considerable way to achieving the final figure.

"Two clean full rich red labels", maybe that has some potential bidders drooling and adds to the must have factor. 

Darren Brown sold an 'ordinary' red labelled one for £800 this very week, albeit in EX condition, and his EX condition never disappoints...

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 13/09/2023 at 18:33, Russoul1 said:

£1500+ John bowie issue is madness....not even rare is it....so the next white demo that appears on auction..what £3000!!!!

Crazy world of northern soul, I’d love to know who’s paying these crazy prices. I have the stock copy and a mint promo of John Bowie , I might consider selling both after JM auction price.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 14/09/2023 at 10:34, Frankie Crocker said:

Fortson and Scott for £3,400, well that’s insane. A 50% increase in price. Clearly money is no object for some of John’s buyers. However, some of these auction prices are plain bad for the scene as ordinary sellers try to match them. The market’s being flooded by overpriced four figure records that owners laid out peanuts for back in the day. 

It may be that everyone will have to sell via John in the future😇

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

George Hunt had a mint one on here a couple of weeks ago for £625,these people who pay these crazy prices are not wired up right.

Wonder if he managed to sell it? ...or maybe he got JM to sell it for him💷

...just hope he ain’t kicking himself...

Edited by Mgm 1251
Social source share

6 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

As a bit of a collector I’m on my 4th copy of John Bowie  and had to pay £150 for it  7 or 8 years ago.. I will think long and hard about letting it go a final time as I won’t be buying one again at these prices… never had the demo

My first copy was from the hyde botanical club from the resident dj there(forget who) I had John Bowie and the squires don’t accuse me both mint for 50 quid! I’ve had John Bowie once more in early 2000’s for 150 like yourself Dave! Alas don’t have it now!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

But John Bowie was up there on a par with the Charades if you will. Both Cajun Hart's and Eddie Foster commanding higher price tags if ever in regard of availability, demand and rarity for super clean copies. Especially of late. This John Bowie is a straight 100% jump in price without better reason for it. That's why it's most shocking.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

But John Bowie was up there on a par with the Charades if you will. Both Cajun Hart's and Eddie Foster commanding higher price tags if ever in regard of availability, demand and rarity for super clean copies. Especially of late. This John Bowie is a straight 100% jump in price without better reason for it. That's why it's most shocking.

I agree with that.. if it went a little higher to promo price maybe £800 then maybe no one would bat an eyelid as it is a JM auction but for someone to pay double is deffo a topic for debate

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 14/09/2023 at 10:24, Soul16 said:

Maybe the lengthy sales blurb and juicy descriptions go some considerable way to achieving the final figure.

"Two clean full rich red labels", maybe that has some potential bidders drooling and adds to the must have factor. 

Darren Brown sold an 'ordinary' red labelled one for £800 this very week, albeit in EX condition, and his EX condition never disappoints...

I have to say that I am sometimes confused by some of Darren's prices. Quite often you see monster records at what most would consider to be lower than market values, I suppose that it is no wonder that they have always been snapped up 10 seconds after the email hits my inbox. If it were me I would price them a bit higher or even auction the big ones, afterall he is selling on behalf of the owners and should be looking to get the highest price. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Okehdownsouth said:

I have to say that I am sometimes confused by some of Darren's prices. Quite often you see monster records at what most would consider to be lower than market values, I suppose that it is no wonder that they have always been snapped up 10 seconds after the email hits my inbox. If it were me I would price them a bit higher or even auction the big ones, afterall he is selling on behalf of the owners and should be looking to get the highest price. 

In general, I think prices are high enough thank you 😊

I like the functionality of Darren's website and trust his grading, so he is my record dealer of choice. For me, pricing wise, he hits the spot (for the records I'm familiar with)

As for auctions, I'm not keen because I don't have the deepest pockets - I'm just an average NS fan.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

That's a bit defeatest and negative. There are two things in my life that I have a passion for collecting, records and cars. I have a decent collection of records that I am quiet happy with, but I will always aspire to own some that I probably never will. I would also love to own a whole load of classic Ferraris and Porsches that I know I could never aford but that doesn't make me hate the people who do own them or stop aspiring to own them.

The trick is to buy what is out of fashion. I have been collecting records for more than 50 years so quite a lot of my best British Demos were junk shop finds when I was a kid, but I have also bought some big ticket records for peanuts because they were not "fashionable" at the time, one I recall was Milton Wright I Belong to You, which is in my mind a bloody awful piece of drivel for which I paid £40 and then sold it 5 years later for just uner £1000. I Then used that profit to buy some of the records that had previously been out of my price bracket. Next to go are a UK issue of Ray Polard The Drifter and a UK Demo of Frankie & Johnny, both of which cost me about 10p each. So in your mind I may be a rick old bloke BUT I nobody ever gave me anything, I earnd every penny and paid the tax on the bloody lot! 

Social source share

On 18/09/2023 at 15:10, Okehdownsouth said:

That's a bit defeatest and negative. There are two things in my life that I have a passion for collecting, records and cars. I have a decent collection of records that I am quiet happy with, but I will always aspire to own some that I probably never will. I would also love to own a whole load of classic Ferraris and Porsches that I know I could never aford but that doesn't make me hate the people who do own them or stop aspiring to own them.

The trick is to buy what is out of fashion. I have been collecting records for more than 50 years so quite a lot of my best British Demos were junk shop finds when I was a kid, but I have also bought some big ticket records for peanuts because they were not "fashionable" at the time, one I recall was Milton Wright I Belong to You, which is in my mind a bloody awful piece of drivel for which I paid £40 and then sold it 5 years later for just uner £1000. I Then used that profit to buy some of the records that had previously been out of my price bracket. Next to go are a UK issue of Ray Polard The Drifter and a UK Demo of Frankie & Johnny, both of which cost me about 10p each. So in your mind I may be a rick old bloke BUT I nobody ever gave me anything, I earnd every penny and paid the tax on the bloody lot! 

Actually i feel much better about it all now, think I needed that pep talk. Hearing about people's 10p 70's finds always puts things into perspective. The collecting classic cars analogy really hit home with me too. Not sure what i was worrying about really. Thanks guys!  👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Corbett80 said:

Actually i feel much better about it all now, think I needed that pep talk. Hearing about people's 10p 70's finds always puts things into perspective. The collecting classic cars analogy really hit home with me too. Not sure what i was worrying about really. Thanks guys!  👍

Sorry I didn't mean to preach

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!