The best double sided 45

Go to solution Solved by Julianb,

The same time I had the above mentioned Bobby Wisdom Handwriting/Girl I call my baby, also had the Soulettes on Scope 2 decent sides on that. Not sure if anyone has mentioned Charles Brandy, Professionals on Groove City, Profs and Sharon Scott on RCA yet.

So I'd be top 3.. Bobby Wisdom, Darrell Banks

But the best has to be a record that was massive the last few years at Wigan for Richard S and Gary R. Then after that side died down Gary R flipped it over and had another monster on his hands.

Frankie Beverly Because of my heart/ I just want to feel I'm wanted

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 10/12/2023 at 11:57, Mal C said:

I've Never fliiped Wanderers,

Run Away was one of the first records I bought when I started buying again Mal, my joy was unbridled when I flipped it, not sure which i now prefer. I nearly posted it some time ago when someone was asking for Latin type recommendations as I think it has that Latin vibe. I doubt you will be disappointed.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Here are some, don't think listed yet:

Barbara Jean & the lyrics - Why weren't you there/Any two can play ( Big hit).

Charlene and the soul serenaders-love changes/Can you win (paradox)(volt issue).

Martha star - Love is the only solution/I'm lonely (Thelma). Other Martha stars worth checking. 

Hun's Review _ Don't make me Love you/ Danger Zone (Sorrow).

The Sophisticates _ I need you / I can't stand it ( Mutt).

Cheers  Dave .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 of my favourites off the top of my head;  

2 already mentioned; Admirations/Aspirations - You left me / I want to be free  & Servicemen- Are you angry/I need helping hand.

dont think this has been mentioned;   Calvin Grayson - you've got to be willing/Love just begun,   possibly my all time favourite...

https://www.google.com/search?q=calvin+grayson+youve+got+to+be+willing&rlz=1C1EJFA_enGB755GB755&oq=calvin+grayson+youve+got+to+be+willing&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIJCAEQIRgKGKABMgkIAhAhGAoYoAHSAQkxMjkwM2owajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:4c9087ba,vid:rmgmAyUhTRU,st:0

Edited by Bbrich
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Another 1 very successful, yes we the older crowd will have heard it a 1000 times but have the younger crowd ever flipped it , The Supremes Baby Love / Ask any Girl , would have loved to be there the first time this was played , perhaps if never released at the time , could now be in one of those box sets .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Another 1 very successful, yes we the older crowd will have heard it a 1000 times but have the younger crowd ever flipped it , The Supremes Baby Love / Ask any Girl , would have loved to be there the first time this was played , perhaps if never released at the time , could now be in one of those box sets .

Takes me right back, another Supremes record would be Love is like an itching in my heart / He's all I got.

Also on Motown, R. Dean Taylor - There's A Ghost In My House / Let's Go Somewhere.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, Tony Foster said:

Thank you to all for joining in and posting these great records, it really is appreciated.

This would be a great place to start for anyone thinking of starting a collection. 

There are many great records listed and it's great to see everyone has different tastes and ideas of what they consider to be a great double header.

Music takes us back to a particular time or place or reminds us of events or people.

A few of the tracks listed over the past few days reminded me of some of our soul brothers and sisters who are no longer with us, but are still fondly in our memories. 

For me -

The Soul Injection-Stay Off The Moon/Girl Full Of Charm-Accent

The Differences-Five Minutes/That Was The Day-Monca

Martha star - Love is the only solution/I'm lonely (Thelma)

The Wanderers, You Can't Run Away From Me/ I'll Know

Show Stoppers - Ain't Nothing But A House Party / What Can A Man Do

Sitting In My Class / Isn't She A Pretty Girl - Ronnie McNeir - Deto

Volumes - I just can't help myself/ One way lover 

Dear Tony

I can't seem to get my likes to work; I'll have a chat with the boss later. 🙂

Anyway, I like the sentiments in your post. It's a great thread - lots of new things for me, and for many others I suspect.

Thanks for taking the time.

Your mate. 🙂

Peter

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Tony Foster said:

The Wanderers, You Can't Run Away From Me/ I'll Know

Thanks for highlighting this one. I had this for decades and as it happens just played it two days ago. But only the a-side. All this time I never played the flip. Another solid Ray Pollard lead vocals track!

How about Bobby Reed - The time is right for love/If I didn't love you - Bell? Both sides are ace.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tony Foster said:

There are so many fantastic records where you could appreciate both sides, as mentioned earlier in the thread this has to be up there among the greats.  I can't remember the last time I saw an original for sale. 

John And The Weirdest - Can't Get Over These Memories

This is an absolute stonker of a record - I've never heard the flip. The name of the artist(s) is enough to whet one's appetite. Probably another of my top ten oldies. I wouldn't be able to make a good call in terms of who and where this was first played. My best attempt would be one of Richard's 60's newies, circa, 1979/80. 🫣

Can anyone put me to the sword and provide a better answer than mine please. 🤔

There are so many great records that have been posted I'm sort of working backwards and forwards.  

Peter

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

This is an absolute stonker of a record - I've never heard the flip. The name of the artist(s) is enough to whet one's appetite. Probably another of my top ten oldies. I wouldn't be able to make a good call in terms of who and where this was first played. My best attempt would be one of Richard's 60's newies, circa, 1979/80. 🫣

Can anyone put me to the sword and provide a better answer than mine please. 🤔

There are so many great records that have been posted I'm sort of working backwards and forwards.  

Peter

Hi Peter you're exactly right saying Richard S first, probably right with the time period as well. Can't believe you'd never heard the flip, he was playing them both at the same time. Both sides were covered as Spyder Turner and The Webs.

Dave Raistrick found the second copy probably around 1981/82. He put it up for auction on his list still covered up. I had a go at getting it but it went quite high (for the time). Dave Withers won it I think at around £160. I did get one a couple of years later, not too sure where that went, might have been to Jimmy W.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

How about, The Newcomers - Too Little in Common to be Lovers (Too Much Going on to say Good-Bye) / The Whole World's A Picture Show on Truth... My favorite deepie, backed with an the evergreen 7ts dancer... great track, but 'Little in common' is the one for me...

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 12/12/2023 at 11:15, Davek said:

The same time I had the above mentioned Bobby Wisdom Handwriting/Girl I call my baby, also had the Soulettes on Scope 2 decent sides on that. Not sure if anyone has mentioned Charles Brandy, Professionals on Groove City, Profs and Sharon Scott on RCA yet.

So I'd be top 3.. Bobby Wisdom, Darrell Banks

But the best has to be a record that was massive the last few years at Wigan for Richard S and Gary R. Then after that side died down Gary R flipped it over and had another monster on his hands.

Frankie Beverly Because of my heart/ I just want to feel I'm wanted

Some great records here, over the years I've only seen one issue of Charles Brandy, if I recall it was found by Tim and sold to Gary Spencer, that was a long time ago.

Love Frankie Beverly and the Professionals 👍

Social source share

8 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Something a bit more recent

Oliver James One and Only / But For the Love

Excellent choice. Been praising especially the a-side since it came out. Have no idea why it didn't go massive. Quality authentic sound. Much better than most of these recent tailor-made northern soundalike productions fetching big bucks.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!