Pete S

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Like every time I see a copy of Determination by Dean parrish, I always bid on it despite having it on Stateside and Boom. I just love it and it's relatively cheap. There are others.

For me it's "Eso Beso" by Paul Anka. I must have about 20 copies up in the attic. Every time I see it for sale cheap, I always fancy hearing it imediately, and I just can't be arsed to go up in the crawlspace to ferret one of the MANY other copies out.

I know it's hardly the apex of quality music but I love it nonetheless - and so does my little 'un!

TONE

Social source share

Like every time I see a copy of Determination by Dean parrish, I always bid on it despite having it on Stateside and Boom. I just love it and it's relatively cheap. There are others.

I cannot pass by Aretha Franklin - Daydreaming - Atlantic...............love this soooooooooo much.

Also the Impressions I'll Alway's be There - Curtom

These records alway's make me smile.gif:thumbsup::shhh: smile !!!!.

Russ

Social source share

Been trying to get Dean Parrish for ages off the bay....so it's YOU who keeps outbidding me then!!! unsure.gif

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

There's one the bay now (Boom original), 1 and half hour to go and i'm in the lead! thumbsup.gif

And thats why you don't win! You should never bid til the very end - use a sniper, 5 seconds from the end...cos I've got a snipe set on that one as well (this is what made me bring the subject up, seeing it there today)

Social source share

And thats why you don't win! You should never bid til the very end - use a sniper, 5 seconds from the end...cos I've got a snipe set on that one as well (this is what made me bring the subject up, seeing it there today)

Hey, my mate got a sniper (cost him £12, I think)...he claims it worked for a while then started to let him down....

...looks like I'll be buying Dean Parrish off you THEN!!! :thumbsup:

Reasonable price though eh? whistling.gif

Social source share

after hearing his version of "i cant break the news" I could not resist buying the help yourself LP by tom jones just because they were cheap, well reccomended :rolleyes: ,

also after a long night drinking a couple of bottles of my fave bosnian red I woke in the morning , logged on and found i,d purchased five 12" copies of "it takes heart" by greg perry obviousley to go with the two i,d already got :thumbsup:

and also i seem to have aquired over the last few years multiple copies of "tonight i gonna fall in love" by teardrops, how and why i,m not sure, great record though

Social source share

Guest stromberg

don't do this with a specific title, but every now and then I do buy a record I already have. Bought Shirley and the Shirelles version of Never gonna give you up on Bell on a demo, because it looked so nice, I already had the issue. And it was only 5 dollars.

And sometimes I buy spares at cheap prices, we are talking about 1-20 dollar records, to mostly give them away at the right point of time to the right person as a gift :rolleyes:

oh, and sometimes I sell them :thumbsup:

Best,

Stefan

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I admit to having FOUR copies of the Carstairs... Two originals and two on pink labels. That's about it really, unless you count those of my old favourites that I own on Demo and stock copies, such as Jerry Cook, Frank Beverly, Epitome Of Sound, Lee David (They were all fairly cheap at the time remember!) In fact, some of them have still never been played! Plus several 70's items on UK and US labels, or 12" and 7". Nothing spectacular. I've never really collected both demo and issue copies, or variants in label design etc. just for the sake of it.

Have a few spares besides, but I sold most of them off donkey's years ago. The one's I have left are either UK demos, items I've replaced with copies in better condition, or cheapies and ballads that are not wanted by anyone but me anyway!

I can't afford to buy many records at all just lately, so buying doubles is definitely a luxury I can't afford!

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I do tend to buy duplicates if condition is better or it's a demo.

If something is dirt cheap and worth passing on I'll buy in bulk.

Social source share

HI PETE

NOT SURE IF THIS COUNTS ,I REMEMBER SEEING A COPY OF "JUNE CONQUEST-WHATS THIS I SEE" ON CURTOM AND THINKING, I LOVE THAT.I BID AND GOT IT FOR $10 .

WHEN I WAS LOOKING THRU MY RECORDS I CAME ACROSS A COPY OF"JUNE AND DONNIE-WHAT'S THIS I SEE" ???SAME SONG AND SINGERS AS I REMEBER! DOH

BOTH CHEAP AND GREAT CHOON!

:rolleyes: NEV

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Buy copies of "You've Got To Pay The Price" Gloria Taylor - but only different label variations.

One of my long time faves! I still have the same UK Polydor copy that I bought back in the day. I was absolutely thrilled to get it, and it's been close to me ever since! I wouldn't mind one on Glo-Wiz though, as I've long since sold my US copy.

A younger friend of mine who had never heard this record until fairly recently, was totally bowled over by it. His enthusiasm suddenly made me see it in a new light and I fell in love with it all over again!

Merely owning two copies is not nearly enough respect for sides as good as this. We should seal them in time capsules for the benefit of posterity!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Where do you get your "dirt cheap" records from though? I rarely see any! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

why would people buy the same record unless it's released in another country or promo etc. If you have the UK original of a record then why buy that UK issue again. I wouldn't after all others may not have it and want it.

maybe you want to have 1 record of a song in all countries it was released to be an annorak

Social source share

Guest mel brat

why would people buy the same record unless it's released in another country or promo etc. If you have the UK original of a record then why buy that UK issue again. I wouldn't after all others may not have it and want it.

maybe you want to have 1 record of a song in all countries it was released to be an annorak

Yes I agree, but if they're CHEAP you might have got a good swop for your spare copy at some future date! I certainly wish now that I'd bought several copies of some records that have become in-demand since!

Bill Brandon's "Streets Got My Lady" springs to mind. Neil Rushton couldn't get rid of them even at £1 in 1977/78! There are many other examples.

Social source share

I'm sure we're two stops short of dagenham. I have two copies of cody black going going gone on ram brock (red & blue) & two copies of fred hughes don't let me down on veejay (issue & demo). well you would, wouldn't you? :D

Edited by macca
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Ann Sexton - You've been gone too long

Found 5 copies on a local market store together in the midst of a load of UK pop singles, thought they must be boots as they were in great condition and cheap. Over a few months gave a couple of copies away and went back to another copies, still got 3 left, but not sure if they are boots or originals.

Carl Burnette - Jerk baby jerk

I keep buying these bloody things, convinced there's a different mix, issues & demos, but to no avail.

Rosetta Johnson – That hurts

Sure it was gonna go ‘big’ one day and make me rich by selling the spares, but it never did, just the 4 copies left on the shelf.

Social source share

If you mean by accident, all the time mate!!! Especially with me working away from home a lot, I can't always remember what I've got.

Eg fairly recently, American Youth Choir UK Polydor, Betty Everett, I've Got A Claim On You, UK Sue, 3 copies . . . seriously. Think one might be a Demo?

If by design then again, yes. For instance, Scott Bros - Stolen Angel - on Ribbon issue and Demo, local label called Dorset, and on the Canadian label Castle. Also came out on Cameo (or Parkway) but it's a different / inferior cut.

Other occasions are when I get issues and Demos. Can never decide which one to keep? Eg Patrice Holloway, UK Capitol, Break Out, Mitch Ryder, Stateside, (as well as on Soul Sounds too). So, I keep both, especially if they're both in the same condition. It's a curse.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I never intentionally duplicate records apart from upgrading condition-wise, but I must admit in recent weeks have seen items listed in Soul Source Sales and have led myself to believe that I either "don't know it" or "definitely haven't got it", so have bought them, only to already own one.... :wicked:wacko.gif:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Same as this really, and got a few things I really like that I've got both issue & demo, and a few where I've got US copy but also French/ German/ Swedish picture sleeve.

Social source share

Harold Melvin and the bluenotes - Where are all my friends

Ive got it on UK issue, US demo and issue, German picture sleeve and Australian CBS (with solid centre) Oh and ive got the album!

I havent a clue why, I think ive got a Teddy P problem!! Anyone got a uk demo? Or greek picture cover??

Gaz

Social source share

Buy copies of "You've Got To Pay The Price" Gloria Taylor - but only different label variations.

absolute top record indeed. I'm not collecting the different label variations of this release, I'm picking up as I go along the different coloured vinyl releases. How bizarre? I'm sure I've got blue and red vinyl copies tucked away somewhere. Anybody got any other colours?

derek

Social source share

I have two copies of cody black going going gone on ram brock (red & blue) & two copies of fred hughes don't let me down on veejay (issue & demo). well you would, wouldn't you? rolleyes.gif

Of course you would.

Me thinks those Fred Hughes' Demo's are quite tricky to locate and very desireable indeed.

Tell you what I think are rare are white demos of Cody's "Going going gone". I'd never actually seen one untill I came across a copy in a sales box at a Stoke all-nighter a few years ago for £15. I was sorta umming and aahing whether to buy it when Dave Welding swooped in from behind and purchased it. Oh well. Up untill then I'd never even wondered if there were any white demos of it or why I hadn't seen any around. It's all good fun innit.

derek

Social source share

Harold Melvin and the bluenotes - Where are all my friends

Ive got it on UK issue, US demo and issue, German picture sleeve and Australian CBS (with solid centre) Oh and ive got the album!

I havent a clue why, I think ive got a Teddy P problem!! Anyone got a uk demo? Or greek picture cover??

Gaz

I've got Dutch and French pic sleeves of this.......................er to go with my US promo and UK issue

Shall we start a Teddy P obsessives self help group Gaz ?
:lol:

And call it "Where are All Our Friends" ?

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Of course you would.

Me thinks those Fred Hughes' Demo's are quite tricky to locate and very desireable indeed.

Tell you what I think are rare are white demos of Cody's "Going going gone". I'd never actually seen one untill I came across a copy in a sales box at a Stoke all-nighter a few years ago for £15. I was sorta umming and aahing whether to buy it when Dave Welding swooped in from behind and purchased it. Oh well. Up untill then I'd never even wondered if there were any white demos of it or why I hadn't seen any around. It's all good fun innit.

derek

Seen a nice VJ demo at the last rugby,£15 what i didnt have :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert