I Know It's Sacrilege But I Prefer The 'b' Side

I've just spent a very happy half-hour playing both sides of Ronnie McNeir 'Sitting In My Class' (Deto) This record has always been a fave, it has fond memories, a great opening and is near flawless '60s soul. But the 'B' side 'Isn't She a Pretty Girl' keeps getting better with every play, maybe its changed tempo over the years, but I think I like it better, even although I feel I am betraying a great record.

So help me out of this mess by suggesting stellar 'A' sides where you think the 'B' side is better.

Could be Ollie Jackson, or whatever but must be a big 'A' side to really soothe my guilt.

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

that's the stuff Simon hope your trip to Scanadnavia was a hit, have you posted the track-list anywhere?

Yeah it was amazing with lots of uptempo played ( I'll pm a selection played in a while ) , However Andy Whitmore's Mrs had pictures of the 80's with her , Mullets , perms and pencil thin tash's at Modern soul nights , I could feel my cheeks burn with embarrassment .

Social source share

I've just spent a very happy half-hour playing both sides of Ronnie McNeir 'Sitting In My Class' (Deto) This record has always been a fave, it has fond memories, a great opening and is near flawless '60s soul. But the 'B' side 'Isn't She a Pretty Girl' keeps getting better with every play, maybe its changed tempo over the years, but I think I like it better, even although I feel I am betraying a great record.

So help me out of this mess by suggesting stellar 'A' sides where you think the 'B' side is better.

Could be Ollie Jackson, or whatever but must be a big 'A' side to really soothe my guilt.

What a class record ISAPG is. I have never really liked SIMC, but heard the B side about 18months ago and absolutely love it.

Detroit at its best.

My fave B side is the Tangeers Let My Heart and Soul Be Free, which I was relieved of for a fiver when I was skint and a father with Paul B. I will always remember the guy whi is still active on the scene lying to me saying the records were now worth nothing! And I fell for it!

Such is life, but then Ronnie comes along and makes me forget everything. What a scene and how lucky are we to be on it?

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I've always preferred the Appointments' 'Keep away' to 'I saw you there'.

And I always liked Sweep more than silent, simpering Sooty.

Social source share

Well of course the other Ronnie Mac B side on Tortoise records "Good side of your love" :thumbup:

A-side is the briliant " Different kind of love"

It was actually sold for the A` side Simon.......remember being offered a demo of "Different kind of love" for £2 at Soul Bowl - the issue was £1.50 :lol: Guess which one I got - D'oh, yes the demo WITHOUT "GSOYL"! :D

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

What???? :lol: Not sure I follow your logic there.....

Logic? Got me confused with someone else there, Steve :thumbup:

Just pointing out that my preferences have always been a bit...shall we say...quirky? Most people I talk to prefer 'I saw you there', so I'm in a minority

Social source share

Showmen - In Paradise - SWAN

Flip of 'Take It Baby'

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...si&img=9615

I will try that, I am getting pretty sick to death of the record, but I do have it on BB.

I hate SIMC crap screeching - howling - but the other side Toone.

Always wondered if the beginning of the track was recorded at a school?

Blue Jays -That Feeling -great tune. If you don't know it I can load a clip for you.

Or The High Key's - Let's Take A Chance

Edited by Prophonics 2026
Social source share

It was actually sold for the A` side Simon.......remember being offered a demo of "Different kind of love" for £2 at Soul Bowl - the issue was £1.50 :wicked: Guess which one I got - D'oh, yes the demo WITHOUT "GSOYL"! :(

Thankfully Robin tipped me off about the b-side , I thought it was no way as good , a bit too jazzy :lol: Then Rob started playing Jerry Bell and Bill Summers :P ... guess what Robins into now ..Hmmm Jazz ...Nice LOL . :D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just a quick couple

Metros. I'm bored of 'Since I found My Baby' but love 'No Baby'

Marsha Gee - Baby I need you is great, but I'd still rather listen to - I'll never be free.

Social source share

I`ll keep on trying will do me,you would probberly get laughed at playin`where have all the flowers gone.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Much prefer Larry Wright's "It's ok with me" to "sweet sweet kisses" And Dottie & Millie "Nothing in this world" to the awful "That's my baby" :wicked:  (PS "Isn't she a pretty girl" wins hands down in my book, vitualy the same backing track, but non of the

corn-ball lyrics!)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Isn't she a Pretty Girl much the better side, only heard it in recent years, Martin Thomson used to play it a lot at SITC & occasionaly at Solid Hit :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

how about the valentinos flip of sweeter than the day before...lets get together on chess

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Ting-A-Ling-A-Loo" by Benny Hill.

Much better than "Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)", as far as I'm concerned... wicked.gif

Social source share

"Ting-A-Ling-A-Loo" by Benny Hill.

Much better than "Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)", as far as I'm concerned... wicked.gif

Are you talking armchair listening or galloping around the dance floor 'cause surely "Ting a ling a loo" is a bit slow ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Are you talking armchair listening or galloping around the dance floor 'cause surely "Ting a ling a loo" is a bit slow ?

...Same BPM as Barbara Redd as it happens, Dave!

Social source share

Guest kev such

mark putney - todays man / dont come round here anymore

topics - hey girl / if love comes knocking

ruby sherry - feminine ingenuity / please dont go

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but, I prefer Bobby Sheens, "Something new to do" flip "I may not be what you want".

IMHO just silky male soul.

Kev.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but, I prefer Bobby Sheens, "Something new to do" flip "I may not be what you want".

IMHO just silky male soul.

Kev.

"I May Not Be What You Want" is the A side, actually....

Social source share

Guest kev such

"I May Not Be What You Want" is the A side, actually....

True Tony, fair point. But i hadn't heard the otherside until i was asked to play it at a venue and prefered it.

Kev.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

So, Benny Hill must have been the inspiration for the Platters "Shing a Ling A Loo" dancer on their Going Back To Detroit LP ....

Well, the Platters did have a little bald man in their line up for many years - Herb Reed, who wore one of the most obvious syrups ever to be seen perching on anyone's bonce at any time in history - not to mention a succession of attractive women among their number, so the influences are definitely there :thumbup:

Talking of which, I wonder how many Sourcers are aware of Frank 'Frankie' Howard's ultra rare follow up to his Excello single "Judy", "Ooooh Noooo, Missus" c/w "Oh Go On Then, Please Yourselves" on the Titteryenot label out of Eltham. Now on that one I have to confess that I prefer both sides... :shades:

Social source share

a few more -

Kenny Carlton - wait till I have you in my arms

Sugar and Spices - teardrops (keep falling) - absolutely love this and used to play this out a lot (flip of have faith in me)

charades - weeping cup - never hear this side being played any more and it's a nice change from TKTMH

Martin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert