Billywhizz

• Replies 53
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The phrase you are looking for is "tailor made" - as in a tune created to sound like an authentic - usually "sixties sounding" Northern Soul record.

If you followed the recent Ian Levine thread you should know what I mean.

The Sharonettes

The Exciters

LJ Johnson

Barbara Pennington

Doris Jones

Wigan's Ovation

The Chantelles

Paula Roussell

plus various "truly awful" instrumentals of Northern classics put out by Simon Soussan in the mid seventies.

To be honest not many worth bothering with IMHO but one or two have made their mark on the scene.

Social source share

The phrase you are looking for is "tailor made" - as in a tune created to sound like an authentic - usually "sixties sounding" Northern Soul record.

The Sharonettes

The Exciters

LJ Johnson

Barbara Pennington

Doris Jones

Wigan's Ovation

The Chantelles

Paula Roussell

plus various "truly awful" instrumentals of Northern classics put out by Simon Soussan in the mid seventies.

To be honest not many worth bothering with IMHO but one or two have made their mark on the scene.

Thanks for the reply, cant compare, The Exciters to wigan ovation i take these came out, after everyone jumped on the bang wagon middle 70's wat would u say the best track was ever done in you opinion, u seem to know ur sounds very well .

Billy

Social source share

I used to hear the name Taylor records, many years ago,(why) Taylor made records,i take todays scene is all past tense far as Taylor made records or is it,any tracks come to mind please.

Billy

its still going on to this day isnt it, frank pop,nicole willis etc ? even duffy admitted on tv that mercy was written as a northern soul type record

Social source share

Thanks for the reply, cant compare, The Exciters to wigan ovation i take these came out, after everyone jumped on the bang wagon middle 70's wat would u say the best track was ever done in you opinion, u seem to know ur sounds very well .

Billy

Chuck Jackson-All Over The World

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FoU_q8198gI

Edited by petebangor
Social source share

Guest trickbag

pye disco demand tracks, were released due to the demand

from the northern scene and because they werent released

here in the uk,yes i think they were disco demand tracks and

taylor made, but thats only imho.

ricky.

Social source share

ricky.

Yes, they were released because they were on Pye licensed labels from the States typically Calla, Wand, Roulette, 20th Century, etc. but they were not made for the Northern scene because America didn't know it existed then. Dave McAleer was the guy who was responsible for releasing the records and Ian Levine was responsible for compiling the excellent "Solid Soul Sensation' compilation LP.

Frankie & the Classicals hd previously been issued on Phillips in the UK as was Chuck Jackson's 'Any Day Now' (B-side of These Chains of Love) which was issued on Stateside.

So yes, they were issued because of demand but they were not made specifically for the Northern scene, which is my interpretation of 'tailor made', but for Black America.

Ian Levine's Evelyn Thomas, Barbara Pennington and L.J. Johnson were the first real tracks that were specifically made for the Northern scene. Others such as Wigan's Ovation were just inferior copies of existing songs and Simon Soussan's instrumentals were again inferior remakes.

Social source share

Guest EType69

ricky.

Sorry Ricky, but my understanding of 'tailor made' means a record that was writen and/or produced and recorded for the scene. The vast majority of the Pye DD series were 60s classics from the Scepter/Wand catalogue.

Steve

Social source share

The Sharonettes

The Exciters

LJ Johnson

Barbara Pennington

Doris Jones

Wigan's Ovation

The Chantelles

Paula Roussell

James Wells - Baby I'm still the same man

Evelyn Thomas - Doomsday & Weakspot

Social source share

James Wells - Baby I'm still the same man

Evelyn Thomas - Doomsday & Weakspot

northern soul incorperated - something keeps calling me back, could have been polydor, not sure but i am sure ken cox of the old EASC had something to do with it.

what about 5 and a penny - you don't know where your interest lies, was that kosha or another coxy production?

Social source share

northern soul incorperated - something keeps calling me back, could have been polydor, not sure but i am sure ken cox of the old EASC had something to do with it.

what about 5 and a penny - you don't know where your interest lies, was that kosha or another coxy production?

F&AP were a pukka group Coops : " YDKWYIL " ( c/w " Mary Go Round " ) was their cover version of the Simon & Carbunkel song , released on UK Polydor ( 56282 ) in 1968 , several years before Coxy dabbled in productions ...........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

F&AP were a pukka group Coops : " YDKWYIL " ( c/w " Mary Go Round " ) was their cover version of the Simon & Carbunkel song , released on UK Polydor ( 56282 ) in 1968 , several years before Coxy dabbled in productions ...........

Malc Burton

thanks for that Malc thumbsup.gif

Social source share

There is a version which Ian Levine did with a bit of a vocal in it - which adds nothing to the original Earl Van Dyke classic IMHO.

Absolutly correct in your opinion, but wasn`t there also an earlier made up thing, the words were based around a guy in prison, think if i remember rightly it was on a made up musicor label biggrin.gif

Social source share

Correct Harry,

Words around the size of the cell being 6 X 6.

Absolutly correct in your opinion, but wasn`t there also an earlier made up thing, the words were based around a guy in prison, think if i remember rightly it was on a made up musicor label biggrin.gif
Social source share

Something along the lines of his cell being 6 by 6 - & that is why the instrumental is infinitely better!!

Social source share

thanks guys thats put my mind at rest :lol: of course the instrumental is far superior, just remember hearing the vocal many moons ago, also the alternative vocals to laura lee, were gonna party-detroit sound :(

There was an alleged vocal to 6x6 , by TONY TURNER , supposedly on Musicor , but it has never surfaced .........

If the subject of the vocals - a cell measuring 6' by 6' - are to be true , what sort of penitentiary were the respective penal reform institution running ? that size of correctional facility is more akin to " the cooler " as shown in prison films such as " Cool Hand Luke " , " The Great Eascape " , " Papillion " etc , in which inmates are put into when they have been extra naughty , rather than a cell that they would have to spend 23 out of the 24 hours in a day ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

There was an alleged vocal to 6x6 , by TONY TURNER , supposedly on Musicor , but it has never surfaced .........

If the subject of the vocals - a cell measuring 6' by 6' - are to be true , what sort of penitentiary were the respective penal reform institution running ? that size of correctional facility is more akin to " the cooler " as shown in prison films such as " Cool Hand Luke " , " The Great Eascape " , " Papillion " etc , in which inmates are put into when they have been extra naughty , rather than a cell that they would have to spend 23 out of the 24 hours in a day ........

Malc Burton

Anybody who writes lyrics like that deserves time in the "cooler" :lol:

Social source share

the one i liked in the mid 70s was the instrumental of going to a go go im not even sure who it was by i know it was on a black magic 45,not a bad effort,imo of course and i havent heard it for 20+ years soundfile anyone??, :):lol: ,also around the same time i liked the levine stuff,j.wells,b.penn etc, :thumbup::ohmy:

Social source share

Malc Burton

I always thought the version with singing as a sort of chorus had the lyrics "my room is only is only 6x6", not cell! I always took it to be some sort of comment on ghetto living conditions but I'm probably miles off the mark.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

sorry if you dont like levine productions but sydney barnes 'standing on solid ground' and also i believe venicia wilson 'this time im lovin you' ?...both tailor made and both great tunes imo :)

Another fairly recent one was The Four Vandal's - The Wrong Side Of Town

Tailor made for the scene and popularized by a DJ called Taylor

Social source share

Guest mel brat

What about Game Players Dooley Silverspoon wasn't that supposted to ba a taylor made???

No, "Game Player" wasn't tailor made for the Northern scene, (as far as I'm aware) but you may have seen some reviewer say so without meaning it literally, as in "...this is a dance record tailor made for the Northern clubs" etc.

The Shanonnettes (or whatever Soussan called 'em) "Papa-Ooo-Mow-Mow" and Paula Thingy's version of "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" on Black Magic were proper "tailor mades", as was "Northern Soul Dancer" by Biddu. There was also a record called "This Thing Called Love" by someone called Cottage on UK Crystal - which I presume was a cover of the Johnny Wyatt classic, but thankfully I've managed to avoid hearing it up to now!

There was loads more tripe like that issued C.1974/5 when everyone and their mother jumped onto the 'Northern Soul' bandwagon...

Social source share

Malc Burton

Les Cokell always insisted that he heard it once, and it was called "My Room Is Only Six By Six" by Tony Turner on Musicor.

Social source share

The Sharonettes

The Exciters

LJ Johnson

Barbara Pennington

Doris Jones

Wigan's Ovation

The Chantelles

Paula Roussell

Okay Epic, I am going to watch each and every single syllable that I type here, as I have no wish to get banned from this forum, yet deeply feel the need to communicate the severity of my opinion of you.

You lump Barbara Pennington in with Wigan's Ovation.

Epic, I used to think you were a good guy.

My opinion of you now is such that I would most certainly get banned for stating it, and for making public the thoughts about you that I feel in my head right now.

Lets just say that my respect for you has now fallen below zero, and leave it at that.

I am deeply ashamed to come from the same town as you.

Social source share

Malc Burton

There is though a genuine vocal that does exist of 6x6, it has been played out, John Pugh owns it. Its not Tony Turner either, forget off top of me head but it's a motown audition recording or summat like, and once you've heard it you'll know why it never got poast the audition stage. There is a topic on here if one of the mods can find it. Chris Anderton anbd Dave Rimmer will say the same.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Barbara Pennington's 24 hours a day gotta be one of the best 'tailor mades' imho,but also 'crossed over' into the disco market.

It was originally made for the current US Disco market, and topped the Billboard disco chart for seven weeks in 1977.

Therefore I make a public statement here, not specifically directed at any one person.....

I make records.

I like the old Motown sound.

I am a legitimate record producer.

Why should my work be referred to as tailor made, especially when the very scene that you are erroneously claiming these songs are tailor made for, is full of people who would gladly deny me the right to make records or write songs.

Why was my work in Detroit working with Sylvia Moy, Ivy Jo Hunter, Johnny Bristol, Janie Bradford, Freddie Gorman, etc etc, any less valid musically than other peoples' records.

The whole term "tailor made" is an insult.

Social source share

Okay Epic, I am going to watch each and every single syllable that I type here, as I have no wish to get banned from this forum, yet deeply feel the need to communicate the severity of my opinion of you.

You lump Barbara Pennington in with Wigan's Ovation.

Epic, I used to think you were a good guy.

My opinion of you now is such that I would most certainly get banned for stating it, and for making public the thoughts about you that I feel in my head right now.

Lets just say that my respect for you has now fallen below zero, and leave it at that.

I am deeply ashamed to come from the same town as you.

Ian

This is a forum on which ideas & opinions are offered up. If somebody gives an opinion about something & you don't agree that is tough.The truth is Ian I contribute on here regularly tipping music & generally "joining in" unlike you, who only bothers when you think it involves you.

You may not like the term "tailor made" but it applies to certain records you have been involved with & they are perceived as such - you will have to live with that I am afraid.

The facts are Wigan's Ovation did a cover version of "Skiing In The Snow" - The Exciters (along with you) did cover versions of "You're Gonna Make Me Love You" & "Love You Baby" - all of which I consider to be tailor mades - which ones are good, bad or indifferent is not in question.

Because I don't agree with everything you do & say Ian, does that really make me "the bad guy" ? If so C'est La Vie - I will just have to accept that.

As regards being ashamed of coming from the same town as me - I remember when you used to live here championing contemporary quality black dance music. I still live on the Fylde Coast championing contemporary quality black dance music - which one of us has changed?

Social source share

I remember when you used to live here championing contemporary quality black dance music.

If giving artists like Sidney Barnes, Sandi Sheldon, Jimmy Thomas, The Flirtations, Jimmy James, J.J. Barnes, Ronnie McNeir, Johnny Bristol, G.C. Cameron, Hattie Littles, Frances Nero, Pat Lewis, Brenda Holloway, Rosetta Hightower, Tommy Hunt, Loleatta Holloway, Eddie Holman, Archie Bell, The Trammps, Chuck Jackson, Bobby Taylor, David Ruffin, Steve Mancha, Carolyn Crawford, Freda Payne, Frank Wilson, The Contours, The Monitors, The Velvelettes, The Marvelettes, Barbara McNair, Barbara Randolph, Kim Weston, Syreeta, The Elgins, Marv Johnson, The Miracles, etc etc etc a chance to record new soul music that they wouldn't otherwise have had, if THAT doesn't constitute championing contemporary quality black dance music, then we're living in different universes.

If you don't think I have done my bit for soul music, please stay well away from me in future.

Social source share

If giving artists like Sidney Barnes, Sandi Sheldon, Jimmy Thomas, The Flirtations, Jimmy James, J.J. Barnes, Ronnie McNeir, Johnny Bristol, G.C. Cameron, Hattie Littles, Frances Nero, Pat Lewis, Brenda Holloway, Rosetta Hightower, Tommy Hunt, Loleatta Holloway, Eddie Holman, Archie Bell, The Trammps, Chuck Jackson, Bobby Taylor, David Ruffin, Steve Mancha, Carolyn Crawford, Freda Payne, Frank Wilson, The Contours, The Monitors, The Velvelettes, The Marvelettes, Barbara McNair, Barbara Randolph, Kim Weston, Syreeta, The Elgins, Marv Johnson, The Miracles, etc etc etc a chance to record new soul music that they wouldn't otherwise have had, if THAT doesn't constitute championing contemporary quality black dance music, then we're living in different universes.

If you don't think I have done my bit for soul music, please stay well away from me in future.

Thankyou Ian for just answering part of my posting & not the whole of it. With total respect to the artists they are not what I consider contemporary anymore - indeed some of them have sadly passed away many years ago. I meant contemporary as in "music of today". Please tell me where on this thread or indeed any other I have said I don't think you have done your bit for soul music.

This thread is about tailor mades. I merely gave a list of artists & people who I thought were responsible for tailor made records & when I did you took offence & vented your anger upon me.

As I have said earlier, forums are about opinions - you have them & I have them & we both have a right in a free country to express them. In your daily life you must come across people who don't agree with you - how do you deal with them? or are they discarded by you & you merely surround yourself with sycophants who hang on your every word & deed?

Certain people on Soul Source have made vicious attacks on you about your ethnicity & sexuality - I think that is totally wrong & I can honestly say my postings have not & will never sink to that level.

Perhaps Ian, as I have said before, if you joined in more threads, given your vast knowledge, people may not judge you so harshly.Indeed, this week there has been a Blackpool Mecca & a Motown thread which you could have contributed to but chose not to.

Social source share

Bobby Taylor made records?? :shhh: some good uns.

Opps is this thread closed yet. tongue.gif

I still find it hard to believe Carol Anderson was a tailor made record with three or so others on Fee around that time.

There was a thread about this before somewhere. But when you listen to all the other releases on the label, this does stick out as the odd one. All the others are very contemparary with the time but this sounds out of time. Also Detroit was very aware of the UK northern scene and the sound liked by the time this was recorded, so why not.

Social source share

There was a thread about this before somewhere. But when you listen to all the other releases on the label, this does stick out as the odd one. All the others are very contemparary with the time but this sounds out of time. Also Detroit was very aware of the UK northern scene and the sound liked by the time this was recorded, so why not.

Its all about marketing, don't you think?

P smile.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert