Why Are Certain Record Nearly Always Knackered?

Pete S

• Replies 50
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Pete,

As a guess, I'd say records like this probably sold well locally, and were well-played on crap-quality equipment, and/or badly stored without sleeves by less than loving owners. A good example of this is "Some Good In Everything Bad" by The Fabulous Appollos on Valtone - almost always turns up in anything between VG+ and GOOD, but you never hear of spotless copies.

On the other hand, I remember seeing a batch of soul records in equally bad condition. Not that they had been heavily played, but looked more like they'd been in bad storage in the same warehouse/shop basement pile.

Hope that helps!

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I'm not saying there aren't mint copies but nearly every copy of things like

Marvin Smith - Who will do your running now

Sunday - Ain't got no problems

nearly always in very very used condition

any more? and why?

Tommy Frontera - (You're My) Leading Lady, had two/three of these never had a mint one.. think you had my last one

Social source share

any more? and why?

Tommy Frontera - (You're My) Leading Lady, had two/three of these never had a mint one.. think you had my last one

Social source share

any more? and why?

Some day some way - Traits,nearly always scuffed.

got a EX Sunday tho'....

Social source share

Hi Pete,

As a guess, I'd say records like this probably sold well locally, and were well-played on crap-quality equipment, and/or badly stored without sleeves by less than loving owners. A good example of this is "Some Good In Everything Bad" by The Fabulous Appollos on Valtone - almost always turns up in anything between VG+ and GOOD, but you never hear of spotless copies.

On the other hand, I remember seeing a batch of soul records in equally bad condition. Not that they had been heavily played, but looked more like they'd been in bad storage in the same warehouse/shop basement pile.

Hope that helps!

Gene

Had a very distressed sad.gif copy of this , picked up a mint minus for £50 at Prestatyn couple of years ago so stop spreading these scurrilous lies Genethumbsup.gif

Social source share

any more? and why?

Carstairs.

Seen a few lately, look like some Blokes been hitting 'em with a Sledge Hammer.

biggrin.gif

Sean

Social source share

any more? and why?

Pete

Is that the Chess or the Alteen copies of Sunday?

I got a very clean Alteen...

Cheers.

Social source share

any more? and why?

all the records being quoted in this thread were all local hits. all the stock was sold a long time ago and all the copies going on the market now are the ones sill being turned up from people's basements since these are still around.

Social source share

We The People - Making My Daydream Real - LION

This turns up (very) regularly over here...and always not a million miles away from being mint. In fact, the majority of the discs I turn up here are in fabulous condition, including loads of unplayed ex-warehouse stock...sometimes in quantity if I'm lucky! Guess we got the deadstock that was bought up many moons ago and shipped out over here...I see loads of SS7, Goldwax, Chess label stuff all the time!

One thing I do have to watch for is 'storeage mould brown dots' on some labels / LP sleeves, possibly from the hot'n'humid conditions over here? Can't have it all, eh?!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

There Is A Picture Of One On E.Bay At Present

Group harmony sound, borderline VG w/some scratches and minor surface. Flip You've Waited Too Long :thumbsup:

Still not seen one in more than VG on the gold lable wink.gif

Social source share

Hi Pete,

Hope that helps!

Gene

Hey, my Fab Apollos is mint!!

Social source share

any more? and why?

strange ive just opened a parcel with marvin smith ,who will do you running now. about 5 o clock today

and guess what its very used though the seller did state this,plays great thoughthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Cheers Nev,

Now that is a rare looking beast! If the vinyl is as clean as the label that seems good value at the price g.gif

Regards.

I would just like to clarify , i am in now way recieving any form of commission for promoting other sellers waresbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest tomaokeh

Ah! my Brewster Crew's a Stone Minter...

...as are my Marvin Smith.... We The People and ...but my Montclairs has a fag burn in it!

laugh.gif

Sean

Sunday in good nick

We The People not so good.....to good mates of mine total mint collections outstanding they would just send them back

you know who i mean Nevinnocent.gif

Social source share

Danny Woods - you had me fooled - Corectone

Swiss Movement - I wish our love would last forever - Gold

Any record from a Tim Brown auction :g:

Social source share

any more? and why?

boxing.gif I reckon the answer is since 1980 all the minters and excellent copies were mopped up, 1980 is nearly 30 years ago? Pete in 73 - 75 at Blackpool and Wigan, virtually every box, had good rare stuff in it, and people did not put condition as a requirement as most records played well, the worst damage was water damage especially on Verve, MGM, and of course the SHRINE label, I am always bemused at looking through record boxes and lists, where are all the classics are as in those days every week I would get home with at least 20 new sounds to play, so I reckon that they are gathering dust, and whats available now are finds from 1980 onwardsph34r.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

Interesting thread, Pete.

Some records are just badly mastered, badly cut or have pressing faults. In those cases, all copies will be poor.

But in cases where some copies are good but many copies are poor, it's often because some of the (later) copies were pressed using worn or damaged stampers.

It seldom happens these days because quality control is better and records are usually pressed in much smaller batches anyway. Stampers are usually good for pressing 1,000 copies but they can fail before that - and it's interesting to note that stamper dies used in the injection-molding process (for styrene 45s) are said to be good for up to 50,000 copies.

There was a time, particularly in the US, when 45s were considered to be low-value consumable items. In fact, it seems that record companies wanted customers (especially jukebox operators) to replace copies every so often.

Another factor is poor quality vinyl and regrade vinyl. This happened especially at times when raw material prices increased due to oil shortages (such as 1973) etc. But some plants always seemed to use poor materials.

Other defects can be the result of poor storage.

Best regards,

Social source share

About 20 years ago I was told by a chap in Detroit (then in his mid forties & an ex Detroit boy) that TF was a record that many gave to their college sweethearts at the time. I suspect that the equipment they then played them on led to a tad of wear & tear.

Social source share

About 20 years ago I was told by a chap in Detroit (then in his mid forties & an ex Detroit boy) that TF was a record that many gave to their college sweethearts at the time. I suspect that the equipment they then played them on led to a tad of wear & tear.

Social source share

And probable destruction after they split!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert