100 Club Crisis

Guest Simon

Now 7 confirmed :D Awaiting Reply (452) :hatsoff2:

Check yer inboxes :lol:

That means nothing as you know Ian, i've seen dos that have 200 confirmed guests on Facebook & the attendance is only 30, some people say they're coming to an event as not to offend.

Simon

Social source share

• Replies 367
  • Views 38.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Ady.

First off i have never been to the 100 club or know you.

The 100 club for me is about 180 mile's to far south for me so am unlikely to go.

I can make a comparison with the Twisted Wheel thou as a venue thats Iconic, not got a great dance floor and occasionally drunk non soulies attending but it has never affected attendance in fact it just keeps on growing in popularity to the point of around 700 on a sunday afternoon and 2 to 3 hundred for the nighters.

So you have to ask yourself what are they doing right that you should be doing !!!!

I think the answer is promoting. Pete Roberts and John Green have put there Heart and Soul into Promoting .As they still use the same music policy of the 60,s and more or less the same Dj's with 1 guest each month.

Hope i haven't come across as arrogant and condescending, its just me looking in from the outside.

Regards.

Brav

Social source share

Hi Ben, hope you are well...yes.gif

You know I am getting a little fed up with the 'sad old men' comments that are starting to proliferate in so many debates regarding Northern Soul.

In the last few months I have had several conversations wherein people make remarks such as 'a load of fat, bald blokes dancing etc, etc....'

These inevitably come inside the never ending discussions regarding the future of the scene and the importance of attracting new followers.

I'm bald and 50 myself and would certainly not be classed as skinny, as you well know. But I think we are in danger of alienating and insulting some of the scene's most passionate and loyal followers, i.e people who have been into this thing for 35 years plus, at the supposed expense of the eternal quest for 'new blood'. If people over 50 are still going they should be fookin celebrated not mocked. They are the true essence of this scene and every one of us was a dashing young blade once. A lot more dashing and cooler than a hell of a lot of the mass-media led/fed young people of today as well. Yes, I am one of those who is proud of my generation and the scene's which we spawned and it's pissing me off that people take pots at guys who love Soul Music and refuse to grow old gracefully.

What are the fat, bald guys supposed to do? Ban themselves from attending clubs? Well the scene will most certainly die out a lot quicker then, that's for sure.

There is something else worth remembering BEN. There is a thread elsewhere currently, discussing the new slew of FAME 'discoveries' which are about to make their presence known on the scene. Clearly a lot of people are dying to hear them and it is a good while since some new records were anticipated with such seeming relish. Me included and of course, I imagine yourself too.

Have you met the young 28 year old geezers who hunted them down?

No, of course not and you won't either. Good job this scene still has people in their 50s and I believe early 60s who still have the passion, knowledge and commitment to spend their lives unearthing the still hidden, unreleased gems of Black America in the 60s and 70s. If young people who come into places like the 100 Club are not struck by the fact that they have discovered a music scene to which people have dedicated their whole lives, then they are never going to be truly passionate about the Rare Soul Scene, in the most desired of senses. This is not a fashion parade. It's not a pulling Palace, it's a scene dedicated to celebrating the best popular music ever committed to vinyl and the type of young people who arrive at the 100 Club should by definition, be beyond the 'norm' anyway. If they are not, what the hell are they ever going to make of Northern Soul? If they are put off the genre and dismiss the scene after one visit to a less than top notch 100 Club night, are you really trying to tell me that's the fault of the guys who have been in love with this music for decades. The Guys who sartorially and physically, don't quite measure up to somebody's immature and self-ordained perception of post-post-post-post modernist 'cool'. Do me a favour!

Rant over, all the best Mate.

RICHthumbsup.gif

Ha, yes, no offense meant to the sad old men! I'm rapidly becoming one myself and I've no intention of ever stopping going! In fact, I can't find anything that you've written that I disagree with. And it's that bedrock of longterm passion and dedication and musical literacy that is missing from Madame Jojos (mentioned here somewhere as successfully attracting the yoof). I just wanted to address the balance a bit, as the ideal is some kind of mixture. It's a rather obvious point that any club will eventually cease to function if it doesn't attract new blood, as there's bound to be a gradual seepage of original punters.

One of the wonderful things about the northern scene is that all that matters is the music, and age and fashion and all the rest of it are irrelevant. And the mix of ages and types of people united by a shared passion is part of the attraction - as long as it IS a mix. (Anyway, I've finished with her.)

Social source share

That means nothing as you know Ian, i've seen dos that have 200 confirmed guests on Facebook & the attendance is only 30, some people say they're coming to an event as not to offend.

Simon

Not helped by you being down as a 'maybe' you bugger!:lol:

Thanks for your upbeat observation Si, inviting 400 friends doesn't do any harm, this much I know.

Anyway, here's Karen, she's coming. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Simon

Not helped by you being down as a 'maybe' you bugger!:lol:

Thanks for your upbeat observation Si, inviting 400 friends doesn't do any harm, this much I know.

Anyway, here's Karen, she's coming. :hatsoff2:

Ha Ha....all helps mate, needs someone enthusiastic like yourself to push it.

I find it really hard to enjoy an allnighter nowadays, the music would have to be so spot on a la Capitol Soul Club standard & nothing currently matches up to that in my eyes.

Get someone on like Dave Flynn or Ian Clarke & i may make a real effort.

Anyway, hope to see you out & about in Soul land sometime soon.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Ady

Well you asked for feedback and here's my slant on the situation. As a punter, collector and promoter I think I have a slightly different perspective than some others because I run my own night and know the stress that goes into running a night so I'll do this from a promoter's head on. What I've always admired about you Ady is that even after 30 it still hurts if you have a bad night.

First off, you've got what most brand owners would kill for – a brand and brand name with iconic status. A name synonomous with quality and success but every brand manager knows that you've got to keep improving it as the competition will bite you in the ass eventually. I look at it this way. Everyone knows where the local church is but they still have to keep ringing the bells every Sunday morning for people to keep coming. Some of the things I say may sound a bit critical but I wish I were you Ady and had your problems (especially the records).

1. Don't know how long you can just 'tough it out' if you're losing money. Things sometimes have a habit of working themselves out if you leave it long enough but I don't know the financial commitiments you have to shoulder each month.

2. As a dj you are probably my favourite in the UK, but as a marketeer you're crap. One of the things all promoters need to utilise to their advantage is the internet. At Boogaloosoul we use email, texts, Facebook, a host of soul, RnB and funk forums to promote the club and are constantly keeping in touch with potential punters for each night. The 100 club is on at a different time each month (and not every month) but no one knows when the next ones on and who's djing. If you want people to plan ahead you need to let them know what to plan and who to plan for. I live in London but I know when Lifeline's on but not usually the next 100 club. Remember people spend a good £50 -£100 coming to London (petrol and accommodation) so they need notice. These days promoters have to find people not let people find them. Granted I get emails from you and you post in soul source but it's just not enough and not far enough in advance. And when's the last time I saw a 100 flyer?

I know you're really busy with your other activities plus life in general so if you haven't got the time you should ask someone to do your marketing for you. I bet you there's loads on this site who'd bite your hand off to help you with your marketing and promotions. And get yourself on Facebook – I bet you'd have a couple of thousand friends within a month or two.

3. Get djs that people will travel to see from around the country. I agree with Russ's comments earlier; I'm a great dj but I'd draw a bigger crowd in Manchester than London coz I'm not known there. One of the factors that make Solid Hit Soul work really well is that Dave has djs that are unknown in London so you go to see the face or if the tunes justify the reputation. If you do decide to go eclectic then book them months and months in advance as they'll do plenty of local and regional marketing for you to try to generate a crowd to support them. I remember when Niamh did the Pow Wow in Sheffield Alan H hired a coach and 50 people went to support her – and what a night that was.

You could even use warm up djs (for the first hour) that are new to playing in London. People will kill to dj at the 100 club and it builds loyalty.

4. You've got a marketing dream in the name of the100 club – probably second in recognition and reputation to the phrase 'Northern Soul' itself now I'm not advocation t-shirts or keyrings (although I bet you'd make a fortune off them if you did) but I'd say you need to plan at least 2-3 nights a year as big as the anniversary with 'really special dj's, themes etc. If you did a 100 club revival night with faces and djs from the past (such as Clarkie) it would be a packer. Stafford's a point in favour of that. Packed to the rafters.

Wouldn't never suggest you change the style and format of the club but you've got to give people a reason to 'keep coming back'. Anything, no matter how good it is, becomes samey if you don't keep pricking people's interest. The London soul nights are doing well – Boogaloo is going from strength to strength as an example but we've now got a new venue and that on its own has increased the numbers. Anything new in the Capital will be a hit until the next new thing comes along.

5. I'd recommend going back to membership or have a strickter door policy. Outsiders do swell the numbers but sometimes they take the 'special' away from the night if they become a little too enthusiastic. Mind you the girl with the six foot legs who was there last month should be given free entry every month.

I could continue but I've run out of time. I bet you that this 'classic' bit of marketing you've done now makes the May date a massive success. When is it by the way? Ouch.

Edited by boogaloo
Social source share

You know I am getting a little fed up with the 'sad old men' comments that are starting to proliferate in so many debates regarding Northern Soul.

In the last few months I have had several conversations wherein people make remarks such as 'a load of fat, bald blokes dancing etc, etc....'

These inevitably come inside the never ending discussions regarding the future of the scene and the importance of attracting new followers.

I'm bald and 50 myself and would certainly not be classed as skinny, as you well know. But I think we are in danger of alienating and insulting some of the scene's most passionate and loyal followers, i.e people who have been into this thing for 35 years plus, at the supposed expense of the eternal quest for 'new blood'. If people over 50 are still going they should be fookin celebrated not mocked. They are the true essence of this scene and every one of us was a dashing young blade once. A lot more dashing and cooler than a hell of a lot of the mass-media led/fed young people of today as well. Yes, I am one of those who is proud of my generation and the scene's which we spawned and it's pissing me off that people take pots at guys who love Soul Music and refuse to grow old gracefully.

What are the fat, bald guys supposed to do? Ban themselves from attending clubs? Well the scene will most certainly die out a lot quicker then, that's for sure.

There is something else worth remembering BEN. There is a thread elsewhere currently, discussing the new slew of FAME 'discoveries' which are about to make their presence known on the scene. Clearly a lot of people are dying to hear them and it is a good while since some new records were anticipated with such seeming relish. Me included and of course, I imagine yourself too.

No, of course not and you won't either. Good job this scene still has people in their 50s and I believe early 60s who still have the passion, knowledge and commitment to spend their lives unearthing the still hidden, unreleased gems of Black America in the 60s and 70s. If young people who come into places like the 100 Club are not struck by the fact that they have discovered a music scene to which people have dedicated their whole lives, then they are never going to be truly passionate about the Rare Soul Scene, in the most desired of senses. This is not a fashion parade. It's not a pulling Palace, it's a scene dedicated to celebrating the best popular music ever committed to vinyl and the type of young people who arrive at the 100 Club should by definition, be beyond the 'norm' anyway. If they are not, what the hell are they ever going to make of Northern Soul? If they are put off the genre and dismiss the scene after one visit to a less than top notch 100 Club night, are you really trying to tell me that's the fault of the guys who have been in love with this music for decades. The Guys who sartorially and physically, don't quite measure up to somebody's immature and self-ordained perception of post-post-post-post modernist 'cool'. Do me a favour!

RICHthumbsup.gif

Thanks for posting that Rich. I felt a bit despondent when I read that comment. Was I one of those sad old men? Probably was, if I was there that night. I suspect I'm probably the oldest person to go to the 100 Club nights, at least lately. But surely the strength of the soul scene is that it encompasses everyone who loves the music, of whatever age, race, colour or background.

Back in the day we were all "cool", and at least we've got the get up and go that makes us go out and enjoy the music we love with the friends we love too. At work I'm pretty sure my colleagues think I'm a bit weird; often get asked what I did at the weekend, what time I got home, etc. But some of them do appreciate the fact that I've not given up on life and plonked myself in front of the TV; and that goes for all the "older" soul people. Soul music and the scene keeps me going and I never want to stop.

Sorry to digress from the main thread.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Hi Ady,

As a 'long-termer' I am guilty of not attending much in the last year-I went to the Christmas one but that is about it. I do feel bad about that now especially as you are now feeling so disillusioned. Hopefully though, a lot of good will come out of this thread and the allnighter can be refreshed and re-born-I hope so!

I think it all changed when the original cloakroom went! :lol:

Joking aside, as you know, a few of us regulars helped with the cloakroom and congregated there among our friends and it was that way for a long time-we always knew where we were so felt slightly displaced when we had to find somewhere else to hang out! With the cloakroom, there was a base where you could hang out with your mates AND have somewhere to put your handbags/manbags.....all within inches of the dance floor-luxury! It might have looked a bit cliquey to some people but hopefully not as we were all friendly.

When the cloakroom ceased to be, it coincided with a time when some of us were going out less for a myriad of different reasons-some of it was as mentioned above, other commitments, some complacency and for myself, I was getting slightly bored with the same music and would prefer to have heard some different dj's including more Modern. This is not a criticism as for every person who would agree with me, there will be another who will absolutely disagree. Over the years, there has usually been just a soup§on of Modern played there and this has fluctuated but for me, it always lifts the atmosphere.

Ady, as I said, hopefully this will give some of us ungrateful punters a bit of a shake when we realise this legendary, much loved but taken for granted allnighter's survival relies on us to actually attend. We will definitely be there in May. :hatsoff2:

X

P.S Get Clarkie for a one-off!

Social source share

Ha Ha....all helps mate, needs someone enthusiastic like yourself to push it.

I find it really hard to enjoy an allnighter nowadays, the music would have to be so spot on a la Capitol Soul Club standard & nothing currently matches up to that in my eyes.

Get someone on like Dave Flynn or Ian Clarke & i may make a real effort.

Anyway, hope to see you out & about in Soul land sometime soon.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Not been since January and guilty of the "it'll be on forever" stance that someone pointed out earlier. It won't though if we don't make some effort. There are enough souls (and mods) in the South to pack this club. Would be nice for some of them to get back down there if poss.

Ady, Mick & Butch are the spine of the dj line up as you know and between them they possess the 'spot on' records you speak of. Guests are always varied and seldom boring.

It takes no time (really) to get to for the likes of you and I and when it's gone what will we have left nighter-wise in the south? Cock all, that's what..:lol:

See you soon mate. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Now 7 confirmed biggrin.gif Awaiting Reply (452) laugh.gif

Check yer inboxes wink.gif

Ah ha Ian, hatsoff2.gif

Good on yer, but beat you to it, started last week.

May 22nd is Jen's 40th birthday celebration, day out in London, dinner at 6pm, Blue Posts at 8pm then 'nighter at The 100 Club.

Word of mouth so far, including at last Saturday's 100 Club 'nighter. Invites continue this Saturday at Lifeline, then hack into Facebook................

32 confirmed so far. tongue.gif

See you there (If we all get in).

John

Social source share

promotion is key, got to keep at it..

We can sometimes sit back and not put in the effort required...

A few key people to help with promotions Ady....

flyers... have a few key people round the country who will take flyers on a regular basis, people who do go out to events....London/ South... West/Wales..... East Midlands.. West Midlands.... North West... Yorkshire.. North East/Scotland... Just a few flyers in the post to these people will help...

I will put out the flyers around Manchester/ North West if you want to drop some in the post... I am sure you will have punters from other places soon???

I am due a visit at some point this year, will look at getting a few along there but som much going on oooooooooop North too, London/ trains/ petrol aint cheap, the feedback with regards to pissheads/ non soul crowd does have an impact when thinking how much its gonna cost and how much it takes out of you, folk need to know its gonna be a special event, we are older and not as impulsive as we once were..

The faceboook page will also help... It keeps people in touch each day as to whats going on...

Also choice of guest djs will have am impact... So many djs who play so often, its nothing special to see them play at certain events, you can catch them anytime/ anyplace...

Get sexy and have more international guests.. yes.gif

Sweden.. Ireland... Spain....USA... ETC ETC.. plus many quality djs ooooooooop North that could grace to old place and certain djs could bring a bit of a crowd too if its a one off.. Look at the Jumpin Joan night, around 40 down from the North to support her... Just keep it fresh and seek out fresh djs.... Its easy to see who is doing what on soul source events/ lookback etc etc...

As Steve says Ady we would flyer the place for you as one of us Harborough lot is about somewhere most weekends

It would be such a loss to the scene to lose this club

only missed a handful in the last 5 years but still get that buzz about the whole night etc

Keep the good work up fella

matt

Social source share

[The guests seem okay to me, I would personally like to see Arthur Fenn and Soul Sam among others guesting there. Perhaps Andy Dyson and Cliff Steele too (you can tell I like Lifeline and it's type of soul music). I'm sure there are plenty of other DJs that would be popular, mind has gone blank as I type this.

Carl Herd maybe!

Social source share

Now 7 confirmed :D Awaiting Reply (452) :hatsoff2:

Check yer inboxes :lol:

As Warren's just rightly pointed out, a mahoosive push on the marketing front wouldn't go a miss now. A good start would be if everyone who uses Facebook were to take Ian up on his initiative & invite all Soulies on their friends list as well [providing the group's permissions allow].

You'd probably end up with about 3,000+ invites in circulation, Ady.. thumbsup.gifThen hope for about 15% shows..

Edited by deeve
Social source share

Hi Ady,

As a 'long-termer' I am guilty of not attending much in the last year-I went to the Christmas one but that is about it. I do feel bad about that now especially as you are now feeling so disillusioned. Hopefully though, a lot of good will come out of this thread and the allnighter can be refreshed and re-born-I hope so!

I think it all changed when the original cloakroom went! :D

Joking aside, as you know, a few of us regulars helped with the cloakroom and congregated there among our friends and it was that way for a long time-we always knew where we were so felt slightly displaced when we had to find somewhere else to hang out! With the cloakroom, there was a base where you could hang out with your mates AND have somewhere to put your handbags/manbags.....all within inches of the dance floor-luxury! It might have looked a bit cliquey to some people but hopefully not as we were all friendly.

When the cloakroom ceased to be, it coincided with a time when some of us were going out less for a myriad of different reasons-some of it was as mentioned above, other commitments, some complacency and for myself, I was getting slightly bored with the same music and would prefer to have heard some different dj's including more Modern. This is not a criticism as for every person who would agree with me, there will be another who will absolutely disagree. Over the years, there has usually been just a soup§on of Modern played there and this has fluctuated but for me, it always lifts the atmosphere.

Ady, as I said, hopefully this will give some of us ungrateful punters a bit of a shake when we realise this legendary, much loved but taken for granted allnighter's survival relies on us to actually attend. We will definitely be there in May. :hatsoff2:

X

P.S Get Clarkie for a one-off!

Records dealers as well, we need them back and not just Dave, Butch & Mick. Time was when the whole back wall, Ken corner and half way round to the dancefloor would be chocka with records dealers and hounds buzzing around them.

This is an important part of the nighter experience, would be good to see more of you sellers back down there; Messers Summers & Messer (for openers) I'm looking at you :lol: .. :yes:

Social source share

Ah ha Ian, hatsoff2.gif

Good on yer, but beat you to it, started last week.

May 22nd is Jen's 40th birthday celebration, day out in London, dinner at 6pm, Blue Posts at 8pm then 'nighter at The 100 Club.

Word of mouth so far, including at last Saturday's 100 Club 'nighter. Invites continue this Saturday at Lifeline, then hack into Facebook................

32 confirmed so far. tongue.gif

See you there (If we all get in).

John

Nice one John. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi Ady

Well you asked for feedback and here's my slant on the situation. As a punter, collector and promoter I think I have a slightly different perspective than some others because I run my own night and know the stress that goes into running a night so I'll do this from a promoter's head on. What I've always admired about you Ady is that even after 30 it still hurts if you have a bad night.

First off, you've got what most brand owners would kill for - a brand and brand name with iconic status. A name synonomous with quality and success but every brand manager knows that you've got to keep improving it as the competition will bite you in the ass eventually. I look at it this way. Everyone knows where the local church is but they still have to keep ringing the bells every Sunday morning for people to keep coming. Some of the things I say may sound a bit critical but I wish I were you Ady and had your problems (especially the records).

1. Don't know how long you can just 'tough it out' if you're losing money. Things sometimes have a habit of working themselves out if you leave it long enough but I don't know the financial commitiments you have to shoulder each month.

2. As a dj you are probably my favourite in the UK, but as a marketeer you're crap. One of the things all promoters need to utilise to their advantage is the internet. At Boogaloosoul we use email, texts, Facebook, a host of soul, RnB and funk forums to promote the club and are constantly keeping in touch with potential punters for each night. The 100 club is on at a different time each month (and not every month) but no one knows when the next ones on and who's djing. If you want people to plan ahead you need to let them know what to plan and who to plan for. I live in London but I know when Lifeline's on but not usually the next 100 club. Remember people spend a good £50 -£100 coming to London (petrol and accommodation) so they need notice. These days promoters have to find people not let people find them. Granted I get emails from you and you post in soul source but it's just not enough and not far enough in advance. And when's the last time I saw a 100 flyer?

I know you're really busy with your other activities plus life in general so if you haven't got the time you should ask someone to do your marketing for you. I bet you there's loads on this site who'd bite your hand off to help you with your marketing and promotions. And get yourself on Facebook - I bet you'd have a couple of thousand friends within a month or two.

3. Get djs that people will travel to see from around the country. I agree with Russ's comments earlier; I'm a great dj but I'd draw a bigger crowd in Manchester than London coz I'm not known there. One of the factors that make Solid Hit Soul work really well is that Dave has djs that are unknown in London so you go to see the face or if the tunes justify the reputation. If you do decide to go eclectic then book them months and months in advance as they'll do plenty of local and regional marketing for you to try to generate a crowd to support them. I remember when Niamh did the Pow Wow in Sheffield Alan H hired a coach and 50 people went to support her - and what a night that was.

You could even use warm up djs (for the first hour) that are new to playing in London. People will kill to dj at the 100 club and it builds loyalty.

4. You've got a marketing dream in the name of the100 club - probably second in recognition and reputation to the phrase 'Northern Soul' itself now I'm not advocation t-shirts or keyrings (although I bet you'd make a fortune off them if you did) but I'd say you need to plan at least 2-3 nights a year as big as the anniversary with 'really special dj's, themes etc. If you did a 100 club revival night with faces and djs from the past (such as Clarkie) it would be a packer. Stafford's a point in favour of that. Packed to the rafters.

Wouldn't never suggest you change the style and format of the club but you've got to give people a reason to 'keep coming back'. Anything, no matter how good it is, becomes samey if you don't keep pricking people's interest. The London soul nights are doing well - Boogaloo is going from strength to strength as an example but we've now got a new venue and that on its own has increased the numbers. Anything new in the Capital will be a hit until the next new thing comes along.

5. I'd recommend going back to membership or have a strickter door policy. Outsiders do swell the numbers but sometimes they take the 'special' away from the night if they become a little too enthusiastic. Mind you the girl with the six foot legs who was there last month should be given free entry every month.

I could continue but I've run out of time. I bet you that this 'classic' bit of marketing you've done now makes the May date a massive success. When is it by the way? Ouch.

Hi Warren

Thank you for understanding what I was saying there & taking it in the spirit it was intended, I think you are a top notch DJ & wasnt knocking you in any way, anyway you seem to have realised what I meant thank goodness.

Best Russ

Social source share

I think Warren has made a very good point , people need to know well in advance the dates.

Then you can plan around those dates.

What I will also mention is that National express do £1.00 fares and usually these fares are at their best when you travel in the late to early hours. I used to use them loads when I lived in deepest darkest Essex.

Perhaps the 100 could twin itself with other clubs ,you know like cities do and the other promoters could coordinate a coach to visit the Mecca of rare soul music ? I think Pete Roberts pomotes the wheel in a similar way , sometimes there seems to be more from the Midlands in the wheel than Mancs :laugh:

Another thought is advance ticket selling to "Members" .

If someone pays for the ticket up front they are more likely to go ! You could in fact pay a subsription at a discount rate for two visits a year maybe ?

All sorts you could do if you put your mind to it really its just a matter of co-ordination.

Social source share

Thanks for posting that Rich. I felt a bit despondent when I read that comment. Was I one of those sad old men? Probably was, if I was there that night. I suspect I'm probably the oldest person to go to the 100 Club nights, at least lately. But surely the strength of the soul scene is that it encompasses everyone who loves the music, of whatever age, race, colour or background.

Back in the day we were all "cool", and at least we've got the get up and go that makes us go out and enjoy the music we love with the friends we love too. At work I'm pretty sure my colleagues think I'm a bit weird; often get asked what I did at the weekend, what time I got home, etc. But some of them do appreciate the fact that I've not given up on life and plonked myself in front of the TV; and that goes for all the "older" soul people. Soul music and the scene keeps me going and I never want to stop.

Sorry to digress from the main thread.

Ohh, no despondency! She was only teasing and the comment was aimed more at me than anyone else! We should be able to laugh at our peculiarities. In fact, let's rejoice in them! Anyway, see my reply to Rich, above somewhere...

Social source share

Hi Warren

Thank you for understanding what I was saying there & taking it in the spirit it was intended, I think you are a top notch DJ & wasnt knocking you in any way, anyway you seem to have realised what I meant thank goodness.

Best Russ

No offence taken Russ. I've been promoting Boogaloosoul for nearly 9 years and one of the reasons that I've remained sane and (almost) stress free is that I take a business view of running it. I've tried to do the same with my posting with the 100 club and one of the key factors with a club that big and iconic is it needs the biggest, freshest djs to keep it relevant.

At least you said I was good. :thumbsup: Actually, you said I was excellent.

Cheers mate

Social source share

The link to the 'feeder' clubs seems to have been broken. The mod scene in London just doesn't seem to provide the raw recruits for the soul scene any more. Maybe this is an avenue that can be explored in some way: maybe through marketing and also by having one of more suitable deejays from that scene as an occasional guest.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Hi Ady

First off, you've got what most brand owners would kill for - a brand and brand name with iconic status. A name synonomous with quality and success but every brand manager knows that you've got to keep improving it as the competition will bite you in the ass eventually. I look at it this way. Everyone knows where the local church is but they still have to keep ringing the bells every Sunday morning for people to keep coming. Some of the things I say may sound a bit critical but I wish I were you Ady and had your problems (especially the records).

I know you're really busy with your other activities plus life in general so if you haven't got the time you should ask someone to do your marketing for you. I bet you there's loads on this site who'd bite your hand off to help you with your marketing and promotions. And get yourself on Facebook - I bet you'd have a couple of thousand friends within a month or two.

3. Get djs that people will travel to see from around the country. I agree with Russ's comments earlier; I'm a great dj but I'd draw a bigger crowd in Manchester than London coz I'm not known there. One of the factors that make Solid Hit Soul work really well is that Dave has djs that are unknown in London so you go to see the face or if the tunes justify the reputation. If you do decide to go eclectic then book them months and months in advance as they'll do plenty of local and regional marketing for you to try to generate a crowd to support them. I remember when Niamh did the Pow Wow in Sheffield Alan H hired a coach and 50 people went to support her - and what a night that was.

4. You've got a marketing dream in the name of the100 club - probably second in recognition and reputation to the phrase 'Northern Soul' itself now I'm not advocation t-shirts or keyrings (although I bet you'd make a fortune off them if you did) but I'd say you need to plan at least 2-3 nights a year as big as the anniversary with 'really special dj's, themes etc. If you did a 100 club revival night with faces and djs from the past (such as Clarkie) it would be a packer. Stafford's a point in favour of that. Packed to the rafters.

Wouldn't never suggest you change the style and format of the club but you've got to give people a reason to 'keep coming back'. Anything, no matter how good it is, becomes samey if you don't keep pricking people's interest. The London soul nights are doing well - Boogaloo is going from strength to strength as an example but we've now got a new venue and that on its own has increased the numbers. Anything new in the Capital will be a hit until the next new thing comes along.

Or in the words of Bobby Valentin,

USE IT BEFORE YOU LOSE IT! :thumbsup:

Social source share

USE IT BEFORE YOU LOSE IT! :thumbsup:

Like it! :lol:

Think flyers truly are old hat now. The activity on the Facebook page this morning has been great. Not just the rapidly increasing attendees (17 confirmed this morning), but the encouraging comments from those that have been invited, can't make it but have expressed their support in promising to make it to the next 100 Club.

I know as Simon has (maybe rightly) said that Facebook stats don't really mean dick, but activity = results as they always say here ... :lol:

Social source share

The link to the 'feeder' clubs seems to have been broken. The mod scene in London just doesn't seem to provide the raw recruits for the soul scene any more. Maybe this is an avenue that can be explored in some way: maybe through marketing and also by having one of more suitable deejays from that scene as an occasional guest.

A very good point mate...... They did it in the past with certain djs....

Social source share

Records dealers as well, we need them back and not just Dave, Butch & Mick. Time was when the whole back wall, Ken corner and half way round to the dancefloor would be chocka with records dealers and hounds buzzing around them.

This is an important part of the nighter experience, would be good to see more of you sellers back down there; Messers Summers & Messer (for openers) I'm looking at you :thumbsup: .. :lol:

Really? Do others feel the same? I might start selling again if it is a genuine attraction. I stopped because the demand fell away. What with all this bloomin webby stuff going on and people buying records from their sofas, people stopped looking, and seemed to be intent on going out to have a good time instead, blast them. (So I joined them!)

Social source share

The selling market down the 100 is very poor, I was only talking to Yann and Roger about it last month how there use to be boxes of stuff and CDs, disposable income? or just old old cash in the pocket.. :lol:

I find it more fun to take a box and let people have a look at more unusual stuff. :thumbsup:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Really? Do others feel the same? I might start selling again if it is a genuine attraction. I stopped because the demand fell away. What with all this bloomin webby stuff going on and people buying records from their sofas, people stopped looking, and seemed to be intent on going out to have a good time instead, blast them. (So I joined them!)

I'd be interested to hear others views on the dealers aspect as well. But you know what I mean Ben it was a hive of activity, dealers & punters it added something to the evening. I can remember coming away from there after buying RCA demos from you and feeling pretty pleased with my evening.

You know our people, they like looking at vinyl!

Social source share

Please don't go down the nostalgia route that some have mentioned. Stafford was good - but only because it was a one-off and many of us went just becasue we knew we'd see old, old freinds who we may never see again.

For a starter some of the long termers that made the atmosphere at the 100 club what it was aren't around anymore sad.gif Cloakroom corner has gone sad.gif I haven't got a cheerleading costume and am too old to get away with shaking my pom poms sad.gif

Someone has suggested getting Shifty back to play - he sold up long ago and the last time I heard him play it was scooterist heaven and basically shite laugh.gif Clarkie would draw in everyone (me especially), but he has his Son to think of, and unless he could get 48 hours of respite care this isn't going to happen (if you read this Ian, I can't believe I never saw you at Yarmouth a fortnight ago!). Dickie S would be a good call (another I'd try and get along to see) - I can still remember that night he played his first 60s spot in 10 years - the place was heaving!

Personally, if I could get down every month then I probably would. Unfortuntely my priorty these days is as a Mother and not as a character from the soul scene wink.gif

Keep with it though xxx

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

'Anniversary' single every month? whistling.gif

Joking aside, free CD's at places like Solid Hit Soul have been very sucessful. How about every guest DJ to put a comp together for the first 50?

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

RICHthumbsup.gif

So well put an such a valid point.

I touched on this same subject on an earlier thread.

when this scene first started back in the 60s,we were all young.

And even in the 70s and 80s the majority of us were not that old.

But unfortunatly time has caught up with our looks (No offence to us oldies intended)

the youth of today just like the youth of the last 5 decades,want to mix with there own age group.

I was born in the early 50s my parents in the early 20s,do you think i wanted to go with my parents,

to an old time ballroom and dance to vera lynn and Glen Miller.

As it is i think musically Glen Miller was pretty good,but i would not have been scene dead in a place that people my parents age frequented.

There has always been this age gap culture,unfortunatly.

Maybe we need to start a 100 mark 2 for the younger generation to get into,not quite sure what other ideas we can come up with to attract new blood to this scene.

Stu.

Social source share

ohmy.gif

You may care to revise that statement missy!

Why?

Would you want to hear Velvet Hammer and Alfie Davidson at a nighter that has built its reputation as being a forerunner in breaking new records? I certainly wouldn't

Social source share

Why?

Would you want to hear Velvet Hammer and Alfie Davidson at a nighter that has built its reputation as being a forerunner in breaking new records? I certainly wouldn't

He was playing to what he thought was largely a scooterist audience. He got that a bit wrong (bless). I had to go and ask him for Walter & The Admerations just to make sure it was him! :lol:

Don't say he hasn't got any good records left though, he'll get all upset. He's a member on here ya'know. :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

He was playing to what he thought was largely a scooterist audience. He got that a bit wrong (bless). I had to go and ask him for Walter & The Admerations just to make sure it was him! laugh.gif

Don't say he hasn't got any good records left though, he'll get all upset. He's a member on here ya'know. wink.gifshhh.gif

He probably has better records pass through his hands in a month than I could hope to own in a life time, the reason he does not Deejay now has nothing to do with the records he has or has not got, & most he could get probably get if he really wanted to.

I do know what Kirsty means tho', Shifty would rather Deejay at a scooterist do these day's i think, than a nighter (having said that, I dont want to put words in his mouth either, just my thoughts). I f he is reading this, bloody pick up a phone mate.

With regards to record dealers at the 100 Club, the more the merrier, it deffo adds something to the night & that back corner gets all interesting when its packed with vinyl........also miss the little box Ady used to have behind the counter upstairs sometimes, used to go & drool over that on occasion. I miss the old cloak room too, some funny goings on round there always laugh.gif.

Russ

Social source share

There are no good mod r &b soul deejays,that died out with Paul Hallam, Dom Bassett,Ian Jackson (now there's a thought been around for years and great taste in music) etc. Theres the Hideaway crew if you want r&b... or psych deejays from Spain or Italy.

Social source share

So well put an such a valid point.

I touched on this same subject on an earlier thread.

when this scene first started back in the 60s,we were all young.

And even in the 70s and 80s the majority of us were not that old.

But unfortunatly time has caught up with our looks (No offence to us oldies intended)

the youth of today just like the youth of the last 5 decades,want to mix with there own age group.

I was born in the early 50s my parents in the early 20s,do you think i wanted to go with my parents,

to an old time ballroom and dance to vera lynn and Glen Miller.

As it is i think musically Glen Miller was pretty good,but i would not have been scene dead in a place that people my parents age frequented.

There has always been this age gap culture,unfortunatly.

Maybe we need to start a 100 mark 2 for the younger generation to get into,not quite sure what other ideas we can come up with to attract new blood to this scene.

Stu.

Maybe we will all disappear like the Teds did in 77.As a kid I even remember Teddy Boy families!!!!. Where are the teds now???

Social source share

Interesting but was bound to happen at some stage Ady. I agree with Ken and Bicknall and some others on here. The average age of the scene is now getting on and those people don't attend that much as in the past plus those who do are to set in there ways to change. Even my age group of 40 can't do it regular as Kids/jobs etc. It was different when we were all younger and carefree.

I still go the odd time and for me the 100club will always hold a very important part of my life and the people i met there. The thing is its not the same anymore for many people, those days are gone and never to be repeated. The best thing to do is continue until you feel your flogging a dead horse. The numbers aren't there anymore for regular events up and down the country. Maybe it's just a blip but to be honest i think the scene is slowly slowing down. You do a great job and have for many years and i do hope numbers improve coming up to the summer etc. Bloody hell just when i've come back to the odd dj set as well :laugh:

All the breast

Greg

Social source share

what a ridiculous statement

Maybe I should rephrase it....mod deejays that play soul and r&b that have a following that would bring 100 people to the 100 Club.The mod scene for want of a better word does not provide the customers to the rare soul scene or northern soul scene like it used to.They would rather listen to Ruperts People or The Attack or even Tinkerbells Fairydust. A lot are from the rock side and don't even like black music.If they did they would have swarmed the 100 Club after hearing the music at xfire.Thats just the way it is.

Just spotted another gig.....Brighton Beach Allnighter....not far from London

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

I am sorry to hear Ady that the numbers at the 100 club have decreased, but as many have said we are all older now and for some our circumstances have changed. For us now living in Guernsey, we are busy, with different life styles and things to do.

We come to London as much as we can and if and when we do come the 100 club is on we would go for sure as it has a special place in my heart, had so many good times there, made great friends and listened to brilliant music, though on that note, the music the last few years has not done it for me personally, maybe it was just the nights I went on, but the rare soul and passion was not there, which I desire.

I do hope it picks up for you as it would be very sad to see it end. Sharnya

Social source share

Interesting but was bound to happen at some stage Ady. I agree with Ken and Bicknall and some others on here. The average age of the scene is now getting on and those people don't attend that much as in the past plus those who do are to set in there ways to change. Even my age group of 40 can't do it regular as Kids/jobs etc. It was different when we were all younger and carefree.

I still go the odd time and for me the 100club will always hold a very important part of my life and the people i met there. The thing is its not the same anymore for many people, those days are gone and never to be repeated. The best thing to do is continue until you feel your flogging a dead horse. The numbers aren't there anymore for regular events up and down the country. Maybe it's just a blip but to be honest i think the scene is slowly slowing down. You do a great job and have for many years and i do hope numbers improve coming up to the summer etc. Bloody hell just when i've come back to the odd dj set as well laugh.gif

All the breast

Greg

Less of the Bicknall lol oh and it's Bicknell by the way you Chelsea throughback you lol, see you at Wembley gig Greg with a bit of luck.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

There are no good mod r &b soul deejays,that died out with Paul Hallam, Dom Bassett,Ian Jackson (now there's a thought been around for years and great taste in music) etc. Theres the Hideaway crew if you want r&b... or psych deejays from Spain or Italy.

looks like you know as much bout r &b djin as webbydribblin does ........... hideway...........sorry mate more about and to it than that.......ezzie

Social source share