Nolan Chance On Bunky. How I Found This Ultra Rare 45

Suinoz

This is the story you have all been waiting for since the record sold in John Manships auction a few weeks ago. It all started about 6 years ago when i met a lady through my then used car business. We got talking about the soul nights i ran with my lovely wife Sue and collecting and playing records. She was intrigued at the fact we still played vinyl in this c.d and laptop age and told me how her sister used to work for a record distributor here in Fremantle that closed down in the mid 70's. Her sister was responsible for all the promo discs arriving in W.A. before deciding whether or not they were an appropriate to get released in Australia. Bearing in mind that Austalian music tastes in those day's revolved around the heavy metal type sounds, very few ' soul records ' got distributed in any geat quantities. Yes there are several soul records on ' Aussie labels ' but they tended to be the more mainstream stuff. The conversation got very interesting when she told me about all the thousands of records that went to second hand / op shops after the closure of the company ( op stands for oppurtunity here ), same as charity shops in the U.K. Salvation Army et al. A lot also went to landfill. I then started to scour every second hand and op shop in and around the Perth area in the hope i would find some of this old forgotten stock. Obviously after some 30 plus years i was continually met with ' sorry we don't have any of those small records, only l.p's. The 45's some of the shops had were just 70's and 80's chart stuff that people had found in garage / house clearouts. I kept going and alway's said to Sue ' you never know there might be a Frank Wilson somewhere '. We can only hope!

It was about 3 months ago whilst in a ' country town ' here in Western Australia i visited a second hand shop. They had everything from furnture, brika brak, clothing to car parts. When i asked the guy in the shop if he had any records, his instant reply was ' what you mean them old juke box things ' ? Nobody wants them anymore. There are a load of boxes out the back that have sat there for years, you can have a look through if they are any good to you. Once i had clerared a space of old furniture i found a dozen or so boxes, each containing about 500 records, some in sleeves and loads without sleeves just squashed together. They had most probably sat there untouched for the last 30 odd years as the boxes were taped up. Sue and i got to work sorting through them box by box. ( Does this sound familiar to some of you ? ). First promo that came out was a mint copy of Dena Barnes on Inferno. Sue then found a promo of Lou Ragland, Judy Street on Strider and our pulses were by then RACING to say the least. Next box contained some Motown stuff and a few Reggae tunes plus some quite obscure U.S labels and a few Aussie and New Zealand soul records. All in near mint condition. I then picked out the Nolan Chance, pulled it out of it's sleeve and to my amazement saw it was in mint, unplayed condition. It was hard to contain the excitement ! Crikey this is a BUNKY and i know of only one other copy that possibly Richard Searling had ! We continued searching and eventually ended up with about 50 records, most mint and a few that were out of sleeves and needed a good clean. There were stacks of 60's and 70's stuff that we left that were just too scratched to worry about. I had a chat with the shop owner about how he got the records and he said he couldn't recall where he got them from, only that they had been in the back of his store since about 1980 and he had another few thousand stored in his garage at home. This was probably some of the stock that i was told about some 6 years before.Unfortunately i couldn't persuade him to allow me to go and have a look through them but left him my number incase he ever decide to dig them out.I have spoken to him since and it seemed like he really couldn't be arsed. ' there's no money in them anymore '. Blimey if only he knew. Anyway we struck up a deal for the 50 records we did find and came away happy to say the least. I knew how rare the Nolan Chance was and to find an unplayed copy is the stuff of fairytales.

That as they say is ' THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL ' Tony T Bone. OZ.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

doesn't sound like a bad score for country town australia blink.png!! how much did you pay for the lot? hopefully you hooked the poor shop owner up with a bit more than $1 for the Nolan Chance :D

Let's put it this way Kris. He was a happy chappy cos we took some of ' them old juke box thingy's '. Didn't have to buy him a car or anything tho'. Don't book your flight cos we have been through every second hand store for a 500 kilometre radius. Wonder if there's a Frank Wilson in those boxes at his house eh ?? We may never know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Well Done Tony- Its great to hear something like that ! It proves their is still some gold in them their hills!

Thanks mate. Just got to wonder at what went to landfill. Apparently there were tons of ' unwanted ' brand new records. Time to get the shovel out me thinks !

Social source share

Let's put it this way Kris. He was a happy chappy cos we took some of ' them old juke box thingy's '. Didn't have to buy him a car or anything tho'. Don't book your flight cos we have been through every second hand store for a 500 kilometre radius. Wonder if there's a Frank Wilson in those boxes at his house eh ?? We may never know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story Tony, thanks for sharing that. Regarding the other records I can just see a story in the local newspaper

"bizarre burglary at local mans house - thieves broke in and left all the valuable goods behind, just taking some old boxes of worthless old records- local police are mystified " :huh::D

Social source share

Great story Tony, thanks for sharing that. Regarding the other records I can just see a story in the local newspaper

"bizarre burglary at local mans house - thieves broke in and left all the valuable goods behind, just taking some old boxes of worthless old records- local police are mystified " :huh::D

Nice one Steve...if only mate !

Social source share

Wonder if there's a Frank Wilson in those boxes at his house eh ?? We may never know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reckon it is safe to say no from what we know about the story of FW, certainly not in any left over from a distributor as it was never sent for distribution nor to any DJ or radio station. But you never know another copy may be lurking after finding it's way out of the pressing plant or even Motown.

Great story though btw. Were you not disappointed with the final price it achieved, particularly considering the hype given to the disc when it came up for auction, how unique it was (when we know it isn't unique) but certainly a rare rare item?

Anything else as rare in the stock you found?

Social source share

Jealous as f**k here :lol: .

If I'd have got them so cheap I couldn't have brought myself to sell any of them I don't think.

Buying something very very cheap off someone who doesn't know what its worth for the pleasure of owning it is one thing but buying the same thing to sell would feel very different to me, maybe that's just me though.

Anyway as I say very jealous here. Theres nothing like turning up that suprise treasure after much fruitless searching.

Social source share

Aren't we all Ged (jealous that is)!!

Tone, do you think you will ever get into the guy's house and the remaining stock? Does make you wonder what is left? Maybe you ought to give him an idea what could be in there, might give him some incentive to let you in?

Social source share

The find of dreams :) Keep asking him about what he's got at home; he'll soon buckle :D

Have asked him several times but seems he is more concerned about selling second hand furniture than a few ' old jukebox records ' for 7 bucks each !!

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Tony - I've got nowt much to do for the next week or so, just email me his address & we can divvy up the proceeds when I get back :rofl:

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Aren't we all Ged (jealous that is)!!

Tone, do you think you will ever get into the guy's house and the remaining stock?

Not if the guy's on Soul Source, he won't... :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Have asked him several times but seems he is more concerned about selling second hand furniture than a few ' old jukebox records ' for 7 bucks each !!

then get in by buying a load of shite furniture off of him...........spratt to catch a mackerel ect ect :yes::D

Social source share

IF THE FURNITURE IS IN THE GARAGE BUY IT AS WELL

KEV

If only Kev. When i said ' garage ' what i meant was ' his shed '. Trouble is a shed here in OZ ain't like your garden shed there ie 10 x 8 feet. It's gonna be more like 30 x 20 metres or nearly the size of a barn. He would more than likely use it to store excess stock ready to put into the shop. I haven't seen it but i can imagine it being that BIG. Heaven only knows where the other boxes are located and under / behind how much rubbish. I just have to hope he will call me one day and ask ' are you still interested in having a sticky beak at them old records? ' It will be worth the 3 hour drive just to sit there and have a sort through them, although i won't be going all excited as he might smell a rat.

Social source share

Bite the bullet, offer to buy them all unseen. Just say you'll turn up and clear them all out of his way. You may get lucky, you may buy a few boxes of trash, but at least you can use the money you have already made off the Nolan Chance to buy them

Social source share

Bite the bullet, offer to buy them all unseen. Just say you'll turn up and clear them all out of his way. You may get lucky, you may buy a few boxes of trash, but at least you can use the money you have already made off the Nolan Chance to buy them

Right the latest on this is...I have spoken to the guy several times over the last few weeks and lo and behold he HAS now agreed to let me go through the rest of the boxes that are stored at his place to see if there is anything more i am interested in. He reckons there are about the same number of records to sort through as were at his shop ( around 4000 ). No idea whats in them but it will be a pleasure to have a sift through, maybe next weekend. I will let you all know what i find. Tony T Bone. OZ.

Social source share

Right the latest on this is...I have spoken to the guy several times over the last few weeks and lo and behold he HAS now agreed to let me go through the rest of the boxes that are stored at his place to see if there is anything more i am interested in. He reckons there are about the same number of records to sort through as were at his shop ( around 4000 ). No idea whats in them but it will be a pleasure to have a sift through, maybe next weekend. I will let you all know what i find. Tony T Bone. OZ.

Nice one, good luck :thumbsup:

Social source share

I can be there in 3 Days ! if you need any help :yes::wink:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest soulmusicforever

Not sure if he's still got it but I "gave" (sold for a quid or two) a Bunky copy to Ady Croasdell in about 75/76 which came out of a big wooden box (talk about treasure chest) that a Jamaican guy sold to me who at the time worked for Decca Records in London. Also in that box were two issue copies of Dena Barnes and Crazy Baby by The Coasters (unkown at the time) amongst others.

Had to go bankrupt in June!

Any chance of two grand for Nolan Chance Ady? :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!