Are There Any Young Northern Soul Fans ?

Guest allnightandy

Interesting read, and sadly, very insular view. Northern soul, is world -wide .Strange to believe the scene will die in 10-15 years!!!! I DJ regularly at the Seattle weekender. It's very well attended, with a super enthusiastic audience, and a very high quality in music.No one cares of age, or rarity (having said that, theres a strictly original vinyl policy in place).post-895-0-60296000-1333000699_thumb.jpgpost-895-0-59138700-1333000727_thumb.jpgpost-895-0-40065200-1333000762_thumb.jpgpost-895-0-00244300-1333000818_thumb.jpg

Here's a few sample photos to give you an idea of the scene outside of the UK. I wouldsay the average age is 24!!!

DJ

is that Kimo and some of his crew in the pics ?

pete n' susan

Social source share

Interesting read, and sadly, very insular view. Northern soul, is world -wide .Strange to believe the scene will die in 10-15 years!!!! I DJ regularly at the Seattle weekender. It's very well attended, with a super enthusiastic audience, and a very high quality in music.No one cares of age, or rarity (having said that, theres a strictly original vinyl policy in place).post-895-0-60296000-1333000699_thumb.jpgpost-895-0-59138700-1333000727_thumb.jpgpost-895-0-40065200-1333000762_thumb.jpgpost-895-0-00244300-1333000818_thumb.jpg

Here's a few sample photos to give you an idea of the scene outside of the UK. I wouldsay the average age is 24!!!

DJ

Hi DJ

I have to agree with you about them being a very up for it crowd! The Friday night especially that we were there was incredible. The way they danced in pairs or in a circle did take a bit of getting used to but their enthusiasm and openness to the music was infectious. Plus I couldn't believe I travelled all that way to meet a girl who used to live a few streets away from me.

Were you at the one with the Bros of Soul and JJ Barnes?

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

I think there will always be a regular small influx of young people getting into soul music because once the music gets you there's no escaping. Most of the nights I attend always have groups of mid 20's and are really well dressed. You should try nights like Le Beat Bespoke, Empty Bottles, Pork an Beans etc. I guarentee you will have a great night at all of them. Great tunes, Young Dj's and excellent atmosphere. When I ran Soul-ed Out in Newcastle it was full of young people who loved the music but had never heard anything like it before, wheter it was a 1k record or a 10ukp record. I think it's also worth noting that these events are all in club like, smart venues that are accessible for people to come and explore the music rather than having to drive 100 miles to a venue in the middle of nowhere.

I wonder why it is that Europe and other countries manage to attract a much younger crowd at Soul/Nights? I have had the privilage of playing records in Barcelona, Spain, Italy, Norway and all of the events were packed with the average age of about 25. I think most people would agree that the UK has the most knowledgeable crowd and best collections but maybe this has a detrimental effect on scene?

1) There are so many nights on literally over a weekend you are maybe looking at 50 nites sometimes more. Most of these nights struggle for a good attendance and is in a crappy venue (in the middle of nowhere) which is just happy to have a night where people will be buying there out of date beer.

2) The scene has been going in England for 30+ years and is well established so therefore younger crowd's can't really influence or put thier own stamp on it.

Hopefully the new film will create some interest in the media and give some exposure to young poeple who may want to come and see what it's all about. I think the music and records will always be around! Certainly in my lifetime and I'm 25.

Callum

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I wonder why it is that Europe and other countries manage to attract a much younger crowd at Soul/Nights?

I think it is because the scene is relatively new compared to here and as a rule older people tend not to go out partying most of / all of the night unless, like us, they did it in their youth.

edit: plus advertising will be aimed at the younger crowd and with no older contingent to contend with as it were the crowd will be younger

Edited by jumpinjoan
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Fantastic. Great records. And Tomas jointly runs his own little do in London, 'Pork and Beans', which is full of enthusiastic young people his age. (I was grateful they let me in!)

He's kept that quiet; probably doesn't want an old letch at the bar (me not you of course Ben :ohmy: ). When and where is it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Finally it feels like I need to write this time. I have loved soul music since I was 15 years old which is not a long time ago.. I'm turning 20 years old this summer. But I'm indeed a truly soul-fan. Collecting, playing records and attending to soul-nighter. And I actually moved today to UK from Sweden.. Simply because the scene is bigger here and yeah soul music is happiness for me. :D

Hi Sujka, I believe we met at the January 100 Club when Marcus was playing. That's great news and you've probably knocked two years average age of the 100 Club clientelle in one go!

Social source share

I think it's also worth noting that these events are all in club like, smart venues that are accessible for people to come and explore the music rather than having to drive 100 miles to a venue in the middle of nowhere.

I've sadly noticed that people sometimes make slurs about this fact and that many of the european nights are in cities with a big student population. As if the "european events" are not "real" enough if you know what I mean. And perhaps they're right, I don't know? Many of them are not northern soul events per se (but with a diet of at least 75% northern being played... and mostly top notch stuff at that). The majority of the punters don't have an extensive knowledge about the music or the scene, but they dance their asses off and month after month return to the clubs to get their dose of soul music to dance to. The fact that there are so comparatively few events like this outside the UK makes it easier to draw big-ish crowds as well, I guess. I can't see how it could possibly be a bad thing though.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Am I the only one who doesn't worry about whether there are young people to carry the scene on after we've gone? I am certainly open, welcoming and all that but you can't make people love the music and you certainly can't make them understand it. If they do - fantastic. If not - so be it.

Life's hard enough. Just enjoy! You never know, that just might make the scene more appealing ...

No I don't overly worry either Joan, I used to, but we've been talking about the death knell for at least 10 years now, and it's still no closer. What I do know is that when I go out, I see more and more new faces, all slightly younger than me, maybe northern is just something that you don't find, if you weren't about first time round, until you reach 40. My guess is we'll still be discussing this in 10 years time, but more likely it'll be in the ''all our yesterdays'' section :D

Social source share

No I don't overly worry either Joan, I used to, but we've been talking about the death knell for at least 10 years now, and it's still no closer. What I do know is that when I go out, I see more and more new faces, all slightly younger than me, maybe northern is just something that you don't find, if you weren't about first time round, until you reach 40. My guess is we'll still be discussing this in 10 years time, but more likely it'll be in the ''all our yesterdays'' section :D

I am one of these people who thinks why worry about something you have no control over.

I really can't see the scene ending anytime soon. As long as there are nutters like us still breathing (not necessarily unaided) I'm sure it will continue in some form or another. It might be a smaller, more intimate scene but hey, fewer people to please ... and moan :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it is because the scene is relatively new compared to here and as a rule older people tend not to go out partying most of / all of the night unless, like us, they did it in their youth.

edit: plus advertising will be aimed at the younger crowd and with no older contingent to contend with as it were the crowd will be younger

Hi Joan,

I hope you are well, that's what i was trying to say in point no 2.

I've sadly noticed that people sometimes make slurs about this fact and that many of the european nights are in cities with a big student population. As if the "european events" are not "real" enough if you know what I mean. And perhaps they're right, I don't know? Many of them are not northern soul events per se (but with a diet of at least 75% northern being played... and mostly top notch stuff at that). The majority of the punters don't have an extensive knowledge about the music or the scene, but they dance their asses off and month after month return to the clubs to get their dose of soul music to dance to. The fact that there are so comparatively few events like this outside the UK makes it easier to draw big-ish crowds as well, I guess. I can't see how it could possibly be a bad thing though.

Hey Sebastian,

I think European nights are great and have loved it as a punter and a DJ everytime i have been. Having a club of with 300+ people loving the music and 90% of them dancing is my idea of a fun night! I think city centre venue's and having students at soul nights is a good thing. Although they might not know the name of the tune or how much it costs they know how to party! As you say there is no compromise in music either.

Callum

Social source share

Really interesting views here. With the greatest respect to everyone, It seems to me that the scene has got more clique, and more up itself than ever. That will never attract newcomers. When I first discovered the scene is seemed very welcoming, and easy going. There's still good people about, many on this site. But too many "Godfathers" now trying to dictate what you can and can't do. I wonder what happens to all those silly priced records when the scene starts(?) to wither.

totaly agree , tell them where to go and just enjoy for yourself , nobody needs to be told how to enjoy themselves

Social source share

Really interesting views here. With the greatest respect to everyone, It seems to me that the scene has got more clique, and more up itself than ever. That will never attract newcomers. When I first discovered the scene is seemed very welcoming, and easy going. There's still good people about, many on this site. But too many "Godfathers" now trying to dictate what you can and can't do. I wonder what happens to all those silly priced records when the scene starts(?) to wither.

Where on this thread has anyone tried to dictate what people can and can not do? As for attracting newcomers? I have never known the soul scene actively go out and try and attract new people. What do you expect people to do? Stand on street corners preaching the soul gospel? Knock on doors? What?

I think the scene is very welcoming. Yes you get good and bad in all walks of life but I go to a lot of venues and I can honestly say I have never known it be anything else, both past and present. I guess it can come across as otherwise on here at times but most of that is down to the way things come across on a message board rather than being intentional. Soul Source is not the soul scene however, Soul Source is 'virtual', the soul scene is 'actual'.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Both my kids, aged 20 and 18, having started off coming out with us now go to soul nights independently of me and Mrs S. My lad's introduced all his Uni mates to proper music at Move On Up at the HiFi Club in Leeds. My daughter will no doubt find somewhere similar (or start her own) when she goes to Uni in the autumn. They love the music, although they aren't enormously enamoured with "the scene". They reckon some of the grown ups are not as friendly as they think they are.

My Mrs teaches in Wigan and lots of her pupils are regulars at soul nights locally. She uses soul instrumentals as backing tracks for particular exercises / tasks and half of them know 'em and love 'em and half of them moan because it's what their parents listen to. One or two have been winning dancing competitions.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Both my kids, aged 20 and 18, having started off coming out with us now go to soul nights independently of me and Mrs S. My lad's introduced all his Uni mates to proper music at Move On Up at the HiFi Club in Leeds. My daughter will no doubt find somewhere similar (or start her own) when she goes to Uni in the autumn. They love the music, although they aren't enormously enamoured with "the scene". They reckon some of the grown ups are not as friendly as they think they are.

My Mrs teaches in Wigan and lots of her pupils are regulars at soul nights locally. She uses soul instrumentals as backing tracks for particular exercises / tasks and half of them know 'em and love 'em and half of them moan because it's what their parents listen to. One or two have been winning dancing competitions.

Have a word with your lad and tell him and his mates to come down to 'That Driving Beat' at Empire bar, Leeds, on 21st April. He'll bloody love it!!

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Hi DJ

I have to agree with you about them being a very up for it crowd! The Friday night especially that we were there was incredible. The way they danced in pairs or in a circle did take a bit of getting used to but their enthusiasm and openness to the music was infectious. Plus I couldn't believe I travelled all that way to meet a girl who used to live a few streets away from me.

Were you at the one with the Bros of Soul and JJ Barnes?

Hi Joan, yes i went to the Soul Bros do .It was good ,but ironically poorly attended considering(shame really) One of my favourite weekends for music is still the weekend that you and you the lads did the djing Some quality choons played.

take care-mate

Social source share

Where on this thread has anyone tried to dictate what people can and can not do? As for attracting newcomers? I have never known the soul scene actively go out and try and attract new people. What do you expect people to do? Stand on street corners preaching the soul gospel? Knock on doors? What?

I think the scene is very welcoming. Yes you get good and bad in all walks of life but I go to a lot of venues and I can honestly say I have never known it be anything else, both past and present. I guess it can come across as otherwise on here at times but most of that is down to the way things come across on a message board rather than being intentional. Soul Source is not the soul scene however, Soul Source is 'virtual', the soul scene is 'actual'.

I agree...Since I started going out more to local soul nights a couple of years ago and then travelling a bit further when I can (now as Len's official driver :D ) I've never met so many funny / friendly (mostly!) and interesting people, let alone the high level of music knowledge around which has enriched my life and soul massively. I try and make the effort to chat to just about anyone I can when out and about and it's clear there's a large percentage of soul lovers who don't look at this site. I only discovered it myself about 2 yrs ago when searching on t'internet for something else.

I've noticed a few younger faces at some of the local soul nights in Northants...some of whom are now wanting to learn more and I think / hope will be regulars, as I now am when I can, but from what I've seen it does seem that the town / city centre pubs and clubs are still rammed most weekends with most "youngsters" seemingly just wanting to get mango'd whilst shouting at each other over music that now just hurts my ears.

People will do what they do and generally stick with what their mates want to do / go, usually without travelling more than a taxi ride from home.

It's been said before but let's just all enjoy it while we can and make the most of the GREAT nights we choose to go to hey :yes:

Social source share

I remember going to an Alldayer at Nottm Palais in the early eighties. The place was dead. I thought that was it for Northern Soul. But it kept going somehow. The jazz funk scene of that era died out too, or changed at least into a Dance scene taking in all sorts of styles. Question is, how did we get into Northern? By just turning up at a Soul night? Brothers and sisters? Or by hearing elsewhere?

Social source share

He's kept that quiet; probably doesn't want an old letch at the bar (me not you of course Ben :ohmy: ). When and where is it?

Cheers for the kind words guys! I did tell you a couple of times Ady, but I think you had had a few beers at the time :yes: . (Don't mean to plug but the next one is the 11th of May in Islington with Chris Dale guesting :thumbsup: ).

We don't specifically target people of any age as attendees for our night, but it is great that there seems to be quite a few new and younger people into the soul scene in London - though everyone is welcome! DJ wise as well though, we usually ask those who have long been established on the 'scene' to guest for us because we want to keep playing original & rare records!

I don't really have much to add to the above comments... As has been said before the allnighter scene, on the whole, doesn't really attract new blood (for reasons such as those which Callum mentioned), but then again why should it need to? People are still going and enjoying themselves... The future does lie in nights such as Empty Bottles, or continues on in city centre venues like the 100 Club and I think these will be the nights which continue to attract a new wave of soul lovers, but its different strokes for different folks!

Tomas

Edited by Timid Tomas
Social source share

Many good points raised.

For me, both the collecting scene and club attendance will continue but I'm convinced the nature of many nights will change in the UK toward the structure of nights that are dominant in Europe, which play an eclectic mix of tunes and attract both younger crowds and dj's.

From what Callum is saying, the night he promotes does tend to follow that approach. This, of course, does not exclude more mature attendees nor does it mean the end of oldies or rare soul venues that attract younger attendees.

From my experience, with my 20 year old, who is very much into the music we love, this more diverse playlist approach is more attractive.

Ultimately, it will be diversity and quality that will generate interest and ensure longevity (I Hope :unsure: )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I said it earlier that the way forward will be the mod type venues the likes of Callum and the Beat Boutique boys promote. The music is fresh, or fresher than many oldies nights, there is no baggage unlike the northern scene which is by and large stale and stuck in Wigan and with all the baggage that goes with it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Am I the only one who doesn't worry about whether there are young people to carry the scene on after we've gone? I am certainly open, welcoming and all that but you can't make people love the music and you certainly can't make them understand it. If they do - fantastic. If not - so be it.

Life's hard enough. Just enjoy! You never know, that just might make the scene more appealing ...

I was about to post something similar Joan, then spotted your post.

I agree, personally it's never bothered me that the average age of the places I generally go is around 40+ or that there are very few younger people going to those places. Like Callum says there are plenty of great clubs that are being started up by younger soulies that are doing well without resorting to trying to get in the older crowd, here and abroad.

I just think young people will find their own way, as we did when we were young, and if they love the music and want to start clubs up that are different from the traditional northern soul clubs, then fair play to them. If it's not the same scene we all knew when we started then that doesn't bother me. If on the other hand the scene dies out through lack of interest then so be it, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Social source share

Went to the twisted wheel allnighter last Friday

As you'd expect lots of us oldies in attendance

But there was a fair few younger soulies in there

A lad called Danny from Wigan think he's about 20?? (I'll stand corrected on that!)

I've seen him at a few Sunday sessions at the wheel but think this was his first Friday

He turned up with a few young friends now these guys had a really good retro look about them

Danny is quite a good dancer decent footwork

The two girls who came with him (think one was from Preston?)

They could really dance proper old school casino style one in particular reminded me of Julie bebb from Warrington those who knew her back in the day will know what i mean

And there was a tall lad with them liked his stomping fast footwork style but then he turned on the floor work not just a random spin backdrop splits but in with the beat it was a pleasure to share the dancefloor for a few hours with these guys hope they turn up again!

Don't know if there's enough young blood in the scene as a whole but if theyre turning up at one of the oldest venues in the world that only plays sounds that are played at the Origanal wheel sites there must be hundreds going to the more progressive venues?

I don't know cos the wheel is the only place I attend at the moment cos I enjoy it

If I had time I would love to go to an " upfront rare soul " place just to give it a try

Ps I went to Wigan from 76 to 80 and the only baggage I have is what I carry my change of shirt in;)

Spike

Social source share

below is a picture from our hip cty soul club night in january..it was the farewell picture for the girl in the blue dress in the first line as she went to live in new york the following monday and presents some of our younger crowd...photo was shot at 6.30 am in the morning after one heating allnighter and as you can see...I am afraid I am the oldest LOL

post-1700-0-91280700-1333320606_thumb.jp

NB the blond girl in the first line (who cant be older than start of her twenties) uses to sing along most of the tunes we play when dancing. they dont know what it is all about ? far from it :thumbsup: !

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

below is a picture from our hip cty soul club night in january..it was the farewell picture for the girl in the blue dress in the first line as she went to live in new york the following monday

It's nice that everyone wrote their goodbye messages on her arm in coloured felt-tips :-)

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

A lad called Danny from Wigan think he's about 20?? (I'll stand corrected on that!)

I've seen him at a few Sunday sessions at the wheel but think this was his first Friday

He turned up with a few young friends now these guys had a really good retro look about them

They could really dance proper old school casino style one in particular reminded me of Julie bebb from Warrington those who knew her back in the day will know what i mean

And there was a tall lad with them liked his stomping fast footwork style but then he turned on the floor work not just a random spin backdrop splits but in with the beat it was a pleasure to share the dancefloor for a few hours with these guys hope they turn up again!

Don't know if there's enough young blood in the scene as a whole but if theyre turning up at one of the oldest venues in the world that only plays sounds that are played at the Origanal wheel sites there must be hundreds going to the more progressive venues?

I don't know cos the wheel is the only place I attend at the moment cos I enjoy it

If I had time I would love to go to an " upfront rare soul " place just to give it a try

Ps I went to Wigan from 76 to 80 and the only baggage I have is what I carry my change of shirt in;)

Spike

There were 2 young guys & 2 young gals who were all good dancers & stayed for the duration. I complimented one on his choice of Adidas T-shirt - the exact same one I was wearing in one of the few photos I have of mesen as a teenager, 37 years ago!

But the guys don't dance 'old school Casino ' in any sense. The girls do though.

Social source share

There were 2 young guys & 2 young gals who were all good dancers & stayed for the duration. I complimented one on his choice of Adidas T-shirt - the exact same one I was wearing in one of the few photos I have of mesen as a teenager, 37 years ago!

But the guys don't dance 'old school Casino ' in any sense. The girls do though.

May I ask what do you mean by 'old school Casino ' ?

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

No prob. You'll have seen that this was a quote from the original poster.

No heel & toe stuff, no sliding stuff, more vertical up & downy stuff.

Not got a problem with it, quite happy to see it evolve. But it just isn't what occurred in 1973, is it?

Social source share

No prob. You'll have seen that this was a quote from the original poster.

No heel & toe stuff, no sliding stuff, more vertical up & downy stuff.

Not got a problem with it, quite happy to see it evolve. But it just isn't what occurred in 1973, is it?

know what you mean - I presumed you meant something like that.

Social source share

I was at wheel and saw the young uns and often see them around the wigan venues. Iv seen the guys DJ as well and they play some good tunes. They carry of the retro look very well, although as someone mentioned on another post the guys had longer hair in the 70s

Social source share

watchin a good clip from the new northern soul film on facebook/you tube last night,not sure if its been on here yet?....dancin to key to my happiness and then chatting to 3 young lads after...

the dancins really come on since the first auditions and the lads really seem into it....

Social source share

know what you mean - I presumed you meant something like that.

It was the girls that I was referring to who reminded me of the old days

It's great to see some younger people enjoying themselves on the scene and it sounds like this is happening all over the country

I do think that the younger mod style guys will create their own scene their own look their own style of dancing whilst respecting the past which in my opinion will enhance the scene as a whole

Oldies crossover upfront rare soul?

as prince buster once said "Enjoy yourself it's later than you think"

Social source share

Guest bedge

Spike

Spike, this got me thinking. I too attend the Wheel, but more often than not I go alone (mates too old n stiff to chuck away their zimmers etc). Are there any other nights on in the North West where one can go alone and have a boogie and a good night.
Social source share

Spike, this got me thinking. I too attend the Wheel, but more often than not I go alone (mates too old n stiff to chuck away their zimmers etc). Are there any other nights on in the North West where one can go alone and have a boogie and a good night.

Not sure cosI don't live in that area

But I'm sure if you go to any soul do alone or other wise you will be made welcome

I'll be at the wheel on Sunday mate I'll be in Monroes about 2pm

Introduce yourself ;)

(sorry bit off topic)

Be nice to have the energy of these young Turks ;)

Ktf spike

Social source share

Guest bigwiganer

Hi I'm 22 and LOVE Northern soul!! My mates and I love attending soul do's and allnighters and will be Keeping the faith for a loong while after you old timers have popped your clogs lol We Range from 14 - 25 and were always meeting people our age up and down the country and aroubd the world. Its fantastic to know that when the ledgends that made the scene are sadly no longer with us, there'll still be plenty of us throwing ourselves about to fantastic mucic :D

KTF

Social source share

Hi I'm 22 and LOVE Northern soul!! My mates and I love attending soul do's and allnighters and will be Keeping the faith for a loong while after you old timers have popped your clogs lol We Range from 14 - 25 and were always meeting people our age up and down the country and aroubd the world. Its fantastic to know that when the ledgends that made the scene are sadly no longer with us, there'll still be plenty of us throwing ourselves about to fantastic mucic :D

KTF

Think that's the answer to the Origanal question !!!;)

Nice

keep on keepin on

Spike

Social source share

Guest bedge

Not sure cosI don't live in that area

But I'm sure if you go to any soul do alone or other wise you will be made welcome

I'll be at the wheel on Sunday mate I'll be in Monroes about 2pm

Introduce yourself ;)

(sorry bit off topic)

Be nice to have the energy of these young Turks ;)

Ktf spike

Ta Spike. Away this Sunday, but will be at the next Friday nighter (with or without the Zimmer Boys)!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!