All on Youtube

Bazza :shades:

Bloody hell, has the dog died :rofl:

Social source share

On the dance floor? heres mine:

Chandlers - Your Love Makes Me Lonely

Lenny Williams - I Couldn't Find Nobody

Jack Montgomery - Baby, Baby, Take a Chance On Me

Combinations - Watcha Gonna Do (new entry. well rare! scorcher!)

Montclairs - Hey You! Don't Fight It

Social source share

On the dance floor as follows:

Lada Edmund Jr - Larue

Susan Barrett - What's It Gonna Be

Malibus - Gee Baby

Eddie Parker - I'm Gone

4 Sonics - Tell Me Your Mine

Remained at these 5 for many many years and it will continue to be unchanged for as long as i can moove and a groove and do ma ting!!

Narrow minded?? oh yes!! Bothered?? NO!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's mine, played out last month

Joe mathews - We got a good thing going - Thelma

The Webs - Give in - Popside

The magnificent men - Ive got news - Capitol

Jean wells - With my love and what you got - Calla

Dramatics - All because of you - Sport

atb

dekka

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I always find it impossible to list my top 5 etc as it seems to change weekly.

But one constant for the last five years or so is my number one favorite for the dance floor and that's Butch's Mighty Lovers cover up. It is just so perfect to dance to and a weapon of a song. Proper Northern Soul.

Social source share

But one constant for the last five years or so is my number one favorite for the dance floor and that's Butch's Mighty Lovers cover up. It is just so perfect to dance to and a weapon of a song. Proper Northern Soul.

Absolutely mate, easily the best record of recent years for me - anyone not hearing this is missing out! Love it

Heres another 4 from me to make a current top 5

Tiaras - Loves Made A Connection

Benny Sigler - I Can Give You Love (seriously underrated)

Junior McCants - Try Me For Your New Love

Temptations - Forever In my Heart

Rob Marriott played the last 2 at the recent trotters revival, which got me playing em again -magic!!

PS love that description Byrney "weapon of a song" might have to borrow that one :)

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

Guest Brett F

What an inane post, Jesus, is this what soul source has become, if it's not the bored to death OVO against boot playing knobheads then it's name your favourite tune whilst the cat has a terrible head cold....Come on guys..( are there any girls on here anymore ?) dig a bit deeper....

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Marcia Griffiths ..Shimmering star . Jamaican pre , much better and rawer than the British bamboo release with those vile overdubbed "String's".

Dawn Penn. In that bar .Jamaican studio one pre. Ideal spin for the R-n-B rooms (will be playing at Ye olde spa Dereby this sat)

V.Dillard. So many way's . Jamaican pre (coloured vinyl) Rockin' R-n-B.

Ray Agee. Real. Real love. Krafton.Been around for yonk's but this will have it's day in both northern and R-n-B rooms , soon to reach it's full potentual.

Mongo Santamaria orch. Get the money .Battle. outstanding latin.

Ella Fitzgerald.Boots are made for walking.Stateside (salle) .I know this is six but who cares my fav, popcorn jumper at the mo.

regards .someone.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Marcia Griffiths ..Shimmering star . Jamaican pre , much better and rawer than the British bamboo release with those vile overdubbed "String's".

Dawn Penn. In that bar .Jamaican studio one pre. Ideal spin for the R-n-B rooms (will be playing at Ye olde spa Dereby this sat)

Ray Agee. Real. Real love. Krafton.Been around for yonk's but this will have it's day in both northern and R-n-B rooms , soon to reach it's full potentual.

Ella Fitzgerald.Boots are made for walking.Stateside (salle) .I know this is six but who cares my fav, popcorn jumper at the mo.

regards .someone.

And are any of these actually soul records ?.......Geez.....I give up......

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

And are any of these actually soul records ?.......Geez.....I give up......

Sorry the post did say fave top five with no mention of soul but here's my fav soul track's at the moment Bret.

1.Eric Mercury . Lonely girl Sac (I've started to play the other side now love the sax)

2,soul bros inc.Teardrops .Salem .(bought from Tim Brown around twenty years ago but has a certain charm for me at the moment)

3.Johnny Watson.Big bad wolf . Unissued alternative cut on an audio disc . From Dave Raistrick's collection around 25 years ago.

4. Bill Bush .I'm waiting.unissued alternative cut with extra words and sax and slightly faster,Studio disc I played this at Quorn last week and went down a storm.

5.Joe Jama. My life . Unissued alternative cut .Studio disc again played this at quorn and filled the floor.Alternative end and start and echoey vocals.

regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Sorry the post did say fave top five with no mention of soul but here's my fav soul track's at the moment Bret.

1.Eric Mercury . Lonely girl Sac (I've started to play the other side now love the sax)

2,soul bros inc.Teardrops .Salem .(bought from Tim Brown around twenty years ago but has a certain charm for me at the moment)

3.Johnny Watson.Big bad wolf . Unissued alternative cut on an audio disc . From Dave Raistrick's collection around 25 years ago.

4. Bill Bush .I'm waiting.unissued alternative cut with extra words and sax and slightly faster,Studio disc I played this at Quorn last week and went down a storm.

5.Joe Jama. My life . Unissued alternative cut .Studio disc again played this at quorn and filled the floor.Alternative end and start and echoey vocals.

regards Simon.

Ok Simon, but it is a SOUL forum....Quorn ?.. That's a leading brand of imitation meat mycoprotein in the United Kingdom...i'm glad those tunes went down well....

Social source share

Hardly go out now, but play stuff in the house all the time, these are current regulars at the mo

Richard Smith-I Dont want to cry-Hi-Q

Tyrone Harris-Nothing seems to go right anymore-Barclay and the 3

Moses Dillard-Got to find a way (parts 1&2)-Curtom

Willie Brown-Love that stranger-Tri-it

Skullsnaps-Didn,t I do It to you-GSF

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Five of the most played tracks in my house recently...

LONNIE POLK - I Kiss It And Make It Better (Mercury) 1974

MAXINE BROWN - Don't Leave Me Baby (Epic LP) 1968

THE LIMELITES - Before The Next Teardrop Falls (Creative Funk) 1975

DEE DEE SHARP - I Really Love You (Cameo) 1965

GEORGIE FLAME - You've Gone (Darnel) 1974

I just bought a fresh mint copy of Lonnie Polk, my old copy was well worn after so many plays, so I've fallen in love with it all over again. Chicago artist recorded in Memphis with Denise LaSalle and obviously capturing the classic Hi and Al Green sound.

I have the Maxine Brown album on Japanese CD but I recently bought a mint promo LP from Alan Thompson (Tomo) so it's been getting quite a few spins in my house again ...and I heard it might get issued on a 45 one day.

I recently remastered The Limelites track because I licensed to it Ace for their new Kent album Behind Closed Doors - Where Country Meets Soul (CDKEND375) which is highly recommended. It sounds great and makes me realise how it could so easily have been a smash hit in 1975 if they'd had distribution. Tony Rounce obviously likes this ballad, as does Mike Lofthouse and Manus, but it seems a lot of people overlooked it.

'I Really Love You' was the first Dee Dee Sharp record I ever bought and it sounds even better as it gets older. I'm told it's Dee Dee's favorite too and she happens to be Roger's 'artist of the week' in the look at your box section this week. I know Kev Cane also rates this track and that's always a good sign.

The US copy of Gorgie Flame is a different mix to the version issued in the UK in Seville in 1976 which I've had for many years - and the song title, artist name and the production credits were slightly modified on the UK issue which was credited as 'You're Gone' by George Flame.

I don't know much about Georgie Flame or Lonnie Polk, other than Lonnie also did some backing vocals for Ten City.

Paul

Social source share

Guest giant

nomads - something bad

little john - just wait & see

prophets - one gold piece

j d bryant - won't be coming back

romana collins - you've been cheeting

i'll go anywhere to hear these :unsure:

five great tunes TOSSPOT

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not easy to pick a top 5 as, like other people, mine changes. But these will always get me out there, or they will when I'm fit for dancing again.

Martha Jean Love cover up - That's the way the story goes

Martha Jean Love cover up - Old time lover

Joseph Webster - My love is strong

The Poets - Wrapped around your finger

Ruby - Feminine ingenuity

Social source share

What an inane post, Jesus, is this what soul source has become, if it's not the bored to death OVO against boot playing knobheads then it's name your favourite tune whilst the cat has a terrible head cold....Come on guys..( are there any girls on here anymore ?) dig a bit deeper....

Well I think its interesting to know folks faves,if you feel that strongly don't bother posting. simples

Bazza

Edited by Bazza
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Well I think its interesting to know folks faves,if you feel that strongly don't bother posting. simples

Bazza

I think it's been a bit tame on here lately and it's good to see a bit of spirit. Nobody ever really agrees with anyone else anyway - as long as there's no personal abuse I say go for it.

I will however qualify my post by stating that my own top 5 would see me laughed of the site. So there :P

Social source share

I think it's been a bit tame on here lately and it's good to see a bit of spirit. Nobody ever really agrees with anyone else anyway - as long as there's no personal abuse I say go for it.

I will however qualify my post by stating that my own top 5 would see me laughed of the site. So there :P

Yep its a been a bit nicey nicey on here just lately ,time for a change :D

Social source share

would this happen to be the same tune butch was playing at the 100 club some ten years ago now? titled " they are sayin", if it is, what a stonker!

oh,...and any chance of a copy of ellie greenwich please somebody?

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

intrigues - im gonna love you - yew

bobby patterson - right on jody - paula

dee dee warwick - where is that rainbow - mercury lp

les mccann - strange little girl - limelight lp

irene & the scotts - why do you treat me like you do - smash

had "rainbow" on a 7", never knew it was completely different from the lp cut, difference in year of production as well

atmospheric & sublimnal lyrics plus the heart wrenching chorus in the hands of a "to die for" diva

every day a copy of bobby patterson appears on here......so unbelievably cheap...so unerringly brilliant...why its not mega bucks is beyond me...perhaps the vinyl well hasnt dried up enough yet.

irene & the scotts......well, sadly weve just been told about the loss of one of the accredited writers of this double a-sided masterpiece, robert kreinar ( bob babbitt ) along with micheal & raymond of " man without a woman" fame. you wouldn't put it past bob playing bass on this one as well!.

lots of talk on here recently as well about les mccann, this penchant in recent years for latino grooves is well founded, born off the back of totw's noteriety for all manner of soulful expression...time for another blast.

intrigues...least known or easy to find of their yew recordings, yet not stupidly expensive it would seem, great crossover track with a philadelphian feel to it...and they went on to cut the wonderful "fly now, pay later" but thats another story..

Social source share

intrigues - im gonna love you - yew

bobby patterson - right on jody - paula

dee dee warwick - where is that rainbow - mercury lp

les mccann - strange little girl - limelight lp

irene & the scotts - why do you treat me like you do - smash

had "rainbow" on a 7", never knew it was completely different from the lp cut, difference in year of production as well

atmospheric & sublimnal lyrics plus the heart wrenching chorus in the hands of a "to die for" diva

every day a copy of bobby patterson appears on here......so unbelievably cheap...so unerringly brilliant...why its not mega bucks is beyond me...perhaps the vinyl well hasnt dried up enough yet.

irene & the scotts......well, sadly weve just been told about the loss of one of the accredited writers of this double a-sided masterpiece, robert kreinar ( bob babbitt ) along with micheal & raymond of " man without a woman" fame. you wouldn't put it past bob playing bass on this one as well!.

lots of talk on here recently as well about les mccann, this penchant in recent years for latino grooves is well founded, born off the back of totw's noteriety for all manner of soulful expression...time for another blast.

intrigues...least known or easy to find of their yew recordings, yet not stupidly expensive it would seem, great crossover track with a philadelphian feel to it...and they went on to cut the wonderful "fly now, pay later" but thats another story..

hi rob , all in your play box for stoke ?
Social source share

Guest Byrney

would this happen to be the same tune butch was playing at the 100 club some ten years ago now? titled " they are sayin", if it is, what a stonker!

oh,...and any chance of a copy of ellie greenwich please somebody?

I don't know the title and can never make the lyrics out as I'm too busy pogoing to it. But 'they are sayin' does sound like what is repeated in the chorus.

I think I first heard it around the same time as Butch was playing the Parliments C/u as the Masqueraders.

Social source share

Hide n seek the sheep

Take me in your arms and rock me(a little while) Isley bros

Last call jr walker

Ain't that the truth jr walker

Restless margie hendrix

Love dancing to these at the moment

Spike

Edited by spike1
Social source share

5 I've been hammering at wom in preparation for Change this sat, not bought a great deal for the last couple of months so some are things I've dug outta the shelves

Valerie Simpson- Sinner Man

Black Sugar- Too late

Royal Jesters- That Girl

Le Grand Melon- Baby pleasse dont go

Baby Ray- house on soul hill.

Social source share

this is mine, changes all the time tho

Baby - Ellie Greenwich

I just can't help myself - Volumes

Strange change - Herb Ward

So blue - Joe Murphy

Baby I dig you - Gene Anderson

All on Youtube

Been spinnin the gene anderson me sen, got played it at the last Bidds nighter too.
Social source share

regards .someone.

the Mongo is brilliant mate.
Social source share

Having a bad day Brett? :D

Steve

Social source share

Hardly go out now, but play stuff in the house all the time, these are current regulars at the mo

Richard Smith-I Dont want to cry-Hi-Q

Tyrone Harris-Nothing seems to go right anymore-Barclay and the 3

Moses Dillard-Got to find a way (parts 1&2)-Curtom

Willie Brown-Love that stranger-Tri-it

Skullsnaps-Didn,t I do It to you-GSF

Kev

Kev, superb list of tunes mate, I didn't know Tyrone Harris (ya gonna tell me ya put it on a CD for me now! :D ).. just picked a copy up, a welcome addition, recommended by a man with "real" taste. Ta!

steve

Social source share

Soul Discovery Current Choices

Ivy Joe Hunter "Yea, yea, yea" (Soul Junction) 7'

Charles Bond "Made away" (CB)

Jesse James "Let Me Show You" (Soul Junction Promo) whole LP

Jerry Wilder "This time it's love" (Promo)

Willie Clayton "Your love is wonderful"/ "Mend your broken heart" (EndZone Entertainment)

Stan Ivory and His Omnificent Orchestra feat: Al Mason / Rick Webb / Jerry Wilder

"Play that song again" (Total Control Promo)

Jeff Floyd "Using me" (Wilbe Promo)

Episode "A sense of urgency" (Cobalt)

Ali Woodson feat: The Temptations "Toast to my friend" (DPK)

Ryan Shaw "Evermore" (Dynotone)

Mick

Edited by Soul Discovery
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Five of the most played tracks in my house recently...

LONNIE POLK - I Kiss It And Make It Better (Mercury) 1974

MAXINE BROWN - Don't Leave Me Baby (Epic LP) 1968

THE LIMELITES - Before The Next Teardrop Falls (Creative Funk) 1975

DEE DEE SHARP - I Really Love You (Cameo) 1965

GEORGIE FLAME - You've Gone (Darnel) 1974

I just bought a fresh mint copy of Lonnie Polk, my old copy was well worn after so many plays, so I've fallen in love with it all over again. Chicago artist recorded in Memphis with Denise LaSalle and obviously capturing the classic Hi and Al Green sound.

I have the Maxine Brown album on Japanese CD but I recently bought a mint promo LP from Alan Thompson (Tomo) so it's been getting quite a few spins in my house again ...and I heard it might get issued on a 45 one day.

I recently remastered The Limelites track because I licensed to it Ace for their new Kent album Behind Closed Doors - Where Country Meets Soul (CDKEND375) which is highly recommended. It sounds great and makes me realise how it could so easily have been a smash hit in 1975 if they'd had distribution. Tony Rounce obviously likes this ballad, as does Mike Lofthouse and Manus, but it seems a lot of people overlooked it.

'I Really Love You' was the first Dee Dee Sharp record I ever bought and it sounds even better as it gets older. I'm told it's Dee Dee's favorite too and she happens to be Roger's 'artist of the week' in the look at your box section this week. I know Kev Cane also rates this track and that's always a good sign.

The US copy of Gorgie Flame is a different mix to the version issued in the UK in Seville in 1976 which I've had for many years - and the song title, artist name and the production credits were slightly modified on the UK issue which was credited as 'You're Gone' by George Flame.

I don't know much about Georgie Flame or Lonnie Polk, other than Lonnie also did some backing vocals for Ten City.

Paul

Nice to see the flip of Lonnie's "I Can Make You Happy" bought this first for ICMYH but really like the flip these days.

I had a message from Lonnie a few years ago after I'd posted both sides on my youtube channel, he told me he'd done a whole LP for Mercury? I've never seen anything else by him from the 70's? In the man's words "I recorded those records when I was 18 years old with James and Willie Mitchell accompanied by some of the best musicians in that era"

..and put me on the list of Dee Dee's "I Really Love You" fans, I'm one of those that took years of having "Standing In The Need Of Love" before really appreciating the timeless quality of the other side!

steve

Social source share

Kev, superb list of tunes mate, I didn't know Tyrone Harris (ya gonna tell me ya put it on a CD for me now! :D ).. just picked a copy up, a welcome addition, recommended by a man with "real" taste. Ta!

steve

Thought you would like that one Steve, glad you got one, you need a Skullsnaps I reckon

Kev

Social source share

Five that I keep playing at the mo in the room...

Jesse James "Bring My Baby Back" Hit (also on 20th Cent)

Gwen McCrae "He Keeps Something Groovy Goin On" Cat

Mary Wells "Cancel My Subscription" Reprise

(was pleased to pick up a copy of "If You Can't Give Her Love" with this on the other side)

Renaldo Domino "Just Say The Word" Blue Rock

Dee Dee Gartrell - "Would It Break Your Heart" Maverick

steve

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Billy Cee - I'm doing fine

Power of attorney - turn around

The pharaohs - tracks of my tears

My children plus two - magic words

Grayson street - medicine man

Social source share

Nice to see the flip of Lonnie's "I Can Make You Happy" bought this first for ICMYH but really like the flip these days.

I had a message from Lonnie a few years ago after I'd posted both sides on my youtube channel, he told me he'd done a whole LP for Mercury? I've never seen anything else by him from the 70's? In the man's words "I recorded those records when I was 18 years old with James and Willie Mitchell accompanied by some of the best musicians in that era"

..and put me on the list of Dee Dee's "I Really Love You" fans, I'm one of those that took years of having "Standing In The Need Of Love" before really appreciating the timeless quality of the other side!

steve

Hello Steve,

That's interesting, I'd love to hear the LP Lonnie cut for Mercury. It's bound to be good.

We should start a Lonnie Polk fan club.

:wink:

Great taste, by the way.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Steve,

That's interesting, I'd love to hear the LP Lonnie cut for Mercury. It's bound to be good.

We should start a Lonnie Polk fan club.

:wink:

Great taste, by the way.

Best wishes,

Paul

hi Paul, would love to hear it myself! never seen it, wonder if it ever made it to general release, Lonnie said he'd been given no copies of it? so would think it at least made demo stage. I lost contact with him, but see that he still has a youtube channel, but inactive for over 2 years.

atb

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!