Under Rated Records ?

Mike

was waiting for some one to start something like this but guess aint coming..

so as had a 'active' over rated thread

how about a under rated one

45s that maybe for reasons say such as availability have never really had the acclaim that you think deserved.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest candj45

Young Folk - Lonely Girl - Mar V Lus

a £15 cheapie thats as good as almost anything I've ever heard

couldn't agree more pete,great tune
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I nearly started one Mike, but didn't want to presume...

So many underrated and underplayed. Here's one.

Bobby Bland - Honey Child

Why? Because for me it's close to prefect, the fantastic horns, the beat, Bobby's tortured vocal, the amazing ending that builds to a screaming crescendo as all the instruments join in and that fantastic trumpet, the lyrics. It has it all for me. It's a £10 record on a good day, if it was £1k it would never be off the playlists at every nighter.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This sounds to good to be true? over rated records are the ones, that cost so much and don't mean much to all but a tiny group of t*a*s :g:

Under rated is some of the many records that come out in the UK, many records that people will not no? so they don't buy? :ohmy: Pete you picked a real jem,

:g: are tou going to the STABLES this weekend Pete? :) DAVE

Social source share

Here's a nice double sider:

Benny Sigler - Who You Gonna Turn To, was a big tune for me in the late 70s but I don't think I've ever heard it played out since.

Recently I've latched onto the b-side I Can Give You Love which is fabulous. Steve G played this at lifeline earlier this year, sounded great!

Is this Bunny Sigler BTW?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This sounds to good to be true? over rated records are the ones, that cost so much and don't mean much to all but a tiny group of t*a*s :g:

Under rated is some of the many records that come out in the UK, many records that people will not no? so they don't buy? :ohmy: Pete you picked a real jem,

:g: are tou going to the STABLES this weekend Pete? :) DAVE

No Dave I am officially retired from going out.

Social source share

Young Folk is spot on Pete, magic record IMHO. Admirations great too, as is - don't leave me. (It'd be brewster's if it was a rare record, incredible).

Bobby Bland - lover with a reputation ... yum yum tree ... I ain't myself, Sharpees - tired of being lonely (Joan's been playing this recently and, as she often does, reminds me how bloody good some of these almost taken for granted and largely overlooked things are: Metros - time changes, Exits, Spyder Turner - good enough, Louis Curry, Tony Talent - tell somebody etc etc etc :hatsoff2: Criminal really)

Got a soft spot for these myself:

Mad Lads - love is here today (Volt)

Bobby Foster - if you really need a friend (Sound Plus) (uplifiting, think Ged played it last week actually. Something caused me to root it out anyway)

Major Lance - since I lost my baby's love (Volt) - there's one version miles better than t'other imho)

Terrifics - leave us alone (Diamond Jim) - the version IMO and a manic Detroit dancer you never seem to hear anymore (You Tube clips are all v poor unfortunately)

Drake & the Ensolids - fight for love (Alteen) - pitched-up just a touch = magic dancer

BB Carter - cool it baby (Kris) - again, best version by miles; uptempo W Coast dancer

Monique - wouldn't believe it (Maurci)

Finally, couple of daft rarities which I think have suffered as a result:

Trent Sisters (Gogate)

Softiques (Sheldon)

Always loved both and hardly ever heard em out ... although I've been told many times how sh*t my taste is :lol:

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

a £15 cheapie thats as good as almost anything I've ever heard

It's a £10 record on a good day, if it was £1k it would never be off the playlists at every nighter.

Get ya £20 out.......

Can anyone see the pattern emerging... :g:

Social source share

i have a real soft spot for No News by The Glories yet i have never heard it played out that i can remember and it isn't on you-tube that i can find .another £15/£20 record

I think this will eventually become popular as it has a funky sound that would appeal to younger collectors.

Social source share

i have a real soft spot for No News by The Glories yet i have never heard it played out that i can remember and it isn't on you-tube that i can find .another £15/£20 record

I've played it a time or three at Heywood....

Can I give a mention to Jackie Day-I can't wait on Paula,

or Bill Johnson-It aint never gonna die on Jocida..

Tony

Social source share

brigette koberley - dont love me and leave me - haunting tune (danelle darris version aint too bad either)

jeri shaw - a little less talk - great uplifting dancer and what a voice

That explains why you don't like Lou Pride.............the Jeri Shaw track is embarassingly bad. :cheese1:

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I'm really into "one in a million" but can't find it on youtube for some reason

Very noice indeed. Never heard it before.

Slainte

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Covered by Ed Parker on C/P, I believe (one I bought on spec @ Knott Mill c.1974):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-36Yn9Mv-Q]'>

Edited by Droylsdonian
Social source share

I'll put this forward again, for under 20 quid it's top boll&x as far as my ears are concerned:

One of the best cheapies out there imho:

Little Carl Carlton "Two Timer" / Drop By My Place" (Back Beat)

this is one of the first 45s I ever bought, it has sentimental value to me as well as being a good 45

Social source share

Criminally underated.This makes you re-think the "Classics" Tag.Listen and weep.

Defo Kev. Played this and the two Major Lance's on Volt out last weekend funnily enough.

That's the thing I think Pete. Really surprised when people come and ask what certain records are and it's usually the ones I've kind of taken for granted and maybe forgotten how good they were myself until someone or something prompted me. Like threads like this, makes you start digging em out.

Tim on Celtex one example; I'd usually go straight for love now pay later and not give this a second look but it's good enough in its own right and I'm sure would sound great played out.

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

O.K. Here's a 10 more

Argie & Arkettes - Your the guy - Ronnie

Bobby Bell - Don't come back to me - RCA

Joe Buckman - Rignt now - Sepia

Chi Chi - If your gonna love me - Kapp

Determinations - Love respect & understanding - Blue Dolphin

Fugatives - Good lovin' if you canget it - Sandman

Geminis - Can't let you go - RCA

Edd Henry - Your replacement is here - Big Mack

Ray Jiminez - Leave her alone - Columbia