Is There A Better £5 Original

hovis09

Guest HensTeeth

Here's 3 absolute belters that can all be had easily for under a fiver. Starting off with some blue eyed brilliance, The Buckinghams 'You Misunderstand Me' on the flip side of 'Back In Love Again'...

And the other 2 just give me goosebumps. Firstly it's some spine tingling midtempo magic from one of the greatest soul singers of all time, Mr. Al Wilson with 'Touch And Go'...

And finally it's Keith with a heart wrenchingly soulful ballad 'Our Love Started All Over Again' on the flip side of 'Ain't Gonna Lie'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Srcn0ZvePE

Pure class, and all bona fide sub five quid records! This is a wonderful thread btw - keep it going folks!!  :thumbsup:

Edited by HensTeeth
Social source share

Just picked up on ebay the week before Xmas as a 99 pence gift to myself:

Aretha Franklin - Oh no not my baby - British Atlantic - Think it did not get a 45 release in USA

Fabulous crossover version of Maxine Brown hit.

Well worth checking out!!

Happy New Year to all.

Adam.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chris, looks like you most releases. But there's at least one missing, it came out twice in Germany. First one is the one shown in your post (1x WD, 1x PS). Second one came out in the early/mid 70s, probably to tie in with a UK re-release (Mojo?). Funky art cover, had it once but sold it as it was a reissue. Never found another copy. Must have bombed.

Social source share

Chris, looks like you most releases. But there's at least one missing, it came out twice in Germany. First one is the one shown in your post (1x WD, 1x PS). Second one came out in the early/mid 70s, probably to tie in with a UK re-release (Mojo?). Funky art cover, had it once but sold it as it was a reissue. Never found another copy. Must have bombed.

There are probably even more releases of this record, it was pretty popular late 60s early 70s in the UK clubs, north and south.

Social source share

Here's the French issues

post-4408-0-01129600-1389260618_thumb.jp

and the Canadian.

post-4408-0-64217000-1389260607_thumb.jp

Social source share

Yep thousands of those wee pesky 45s in that expensive price range of a fiver ??? but this one takes some beating ? Issue n demo ....both copy's cost less than a fiver ??? issue copy have already worn oot .... Im just off to the deck to try and see if i can wear the demo oot ....

Mighty Marvelows "Talikn bout ya baby" ABC Records

Heart stopping group soul brilliance .... Love it ... Might buy a third copy in case I wear the demo oot ???

Right on right on ..... Talking bout ya baby....tfk

Gotta agree here. One of the most fabulous records that you could always pick up for a few quid. Around the £30 mark on most sales lists now but for me a record for peanuts that supercedes the quality of records going for silly money!

Social source share

Check out also - Mighty Marvelows - I'm so confused - ABC

Similar to talkin bout you baby - and also  cheap and superb!

Adam

Both have brilliant flips aswell, "I,m without a girl" and "In the morning" essentials for group soul collectors

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Guest scottie

Otis Clay 'Show Place' is the best shout imho........ :thumbsup:

...........this one is well out of fashion now but still a bargain for a fiver....promo best...short side is... 'er.. not too long............again ...imho!!! :D

attachicon.gifAlfie Kahn Sound Orchestra.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWDRme7EKOw

Paul :thumbup:

law of the land.brilliant record paul a fiver well spent pal

Social source share

And the other 2 just give me goosebumps. Firstly it's some spine tingling midtempo magic from one of the greatest soul singers of all time, Mr. Al Wilson with 'Touch And Go'...

This is a wonderful thread btw - keep it going folks!!  :thumbsup:

There is one on UK Ebay right now for £2.99.......................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AL-WILSON-TOUCH-GO-ROCKY-ROAD-NORTHERN-SOUL-/261368159783?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3cdac19e27

Good luck  :D

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

David Porter came up on a different thread. Duetting with Isaac Hayes a real thumping version of "Ain't That Loving You"

Couple of quid or so

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Paid about £2 for mine - don't know what it is now. Brilliant record.

In fact I just looked up on Discogs - eight for sale from £2.49

Lou Courtney - What do you want me to do - Rags

Dx

Great double sider this little beauty for me..... Good call

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

Just bought this for £4 on MusicStack. More proof positive if it were needed that you CAN pick up not just great but absolute top drawer quality northern soul for under a fiver. Come on, does it get any better than this? If it were dog rare it would be a snip at 4 grand, never mind 4 quid!! I'm a very happy bunny :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1LVNsN5K68

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The voice that is Johnnie Taylor

"I Love To Make Love When It's Raining"

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Can still be picked up for a fiver if ya savvy. Think the 150mph side is a piece of shat myself but ya got the choice of having an heart attack ...

or like me you'd probably rather put some comfy slippers on, unwrap a Werther's Original and flip it over ...

Social source share

Can still be picked up for a fiver if ya savvy. Think the 150mph side is a piece of shat myself but ya got the choice of having an heart attack ...

or like me you'd probably rather put some comfy slippers on, unwrap a Werther's Original and flip it over ...

What a sound that Pick youself up is - been in my top 20 over the past few months

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A bit of magic from Edwin's bro

Some may go for the flip "What Is Best For me Is Better For You" but for me it pales considerably against "Who Am I Without You Baby"

A crime to see records like this unsold at £1.99

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

If you look around, this one can be picked up for around the £5 mark. I think mine cost me about £7 off MusicStack last year but I'm sure there will be the occasional one on ebay that can be picked up for even less than what I paid  :) .

In summary ... Quality tune, cheap price. Nice!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dave Turner

Love them Dave, new to me that one, love their Carnival stuff and post Carnival, here's one on same lines as "Goodbye"

Kev

Super stuff Kev, so many quality sides mate   :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!