Boot V's Original Tamala Lewis You Wont Say Nothing Marton

I would have thought that if it was a legitimate second issue it would have appeared on more reputable record lists at the time. Even John Anderson sold legitimate re-issues of the time advertising as such and even having some done himself due to demand, however, I don't recall seeing the orange copy listed on any such record lists which would lead me to suggest it is an out and out bootleg.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Orange 100% boot in my book,  not worth discussion on its merits, however I'd love to know more about Tamala, love her voice, any info on the girl?

She was from the New York Metro Area, and she was lead singer of The Parlets (Par-Lets, Parlettes)(the female alter egos to The Parliaments) and, perhaps, she was also a member of The Pets.  She was with George Clinton's Revue for several years, and one of his songwritng staff.  She also sang on demos for songs written by Clinton's crew, which went to artists other than herself, or The Parlettes (mainly for Ed Wingate's labels and solid Hitbound, but also for New York artists while they were writing for Jobete Music in New York).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest tercy1960

Hi can someone tell me how you tell the difference between the boot and a real one of TAMALA LEWIS YOU WONT SAY NOTHING MARTON

Thanks in advance

D just a little. Side ways slant on this subject if you look at the skyway issues of  miss ll Louise and Karl Evans  the  records both have exactly the same etchings in the runout groove but different coloured labels both records apparently brought out by the labels owners for the 70's  northern soul market originals done in a limited run 2nd issues done in greater numbers hence the price both originals in my opinion 

Social source share

How can a second issue be an original?

This is all crazy talk.

Back then they were called 'pressings' - today, they're still pressings.  Just because they're "legal reissues" doesn't make them originals, the original came out in 1965 not 1975.

Pete, does that mean all the pressings made in the 70s are all now orignals ? , my collection has just gone from being worth hundreds to now been worth thousands lol

Social source share

A bootleg is a copy made by anyone or any company

The orange label is RCA,re-released in 1979 in conjunction

with Marton (the label owners).There is nothing bootleg

about the re-release,Marton were involved,so in my eyes

that makes it genuine and a second press,it does not matter

about the year,the fact that Marton were involved makes

a massive difference.

So once again you CANNOT call it a bootleg.

Right,over to you,prove me wrong then.

So let's get this right.There is a high demand in England on the northern soul scene....so what we will do is press it on a facsimile Us label.....errr but boss we already have a UK outlet for the northern releases with our UK RCA Direction label aimed specifically at the northern scene...darn it press it anyway Simon Saucepan will get the blame.

post-18577-0-33009700-1398605924_thumb.j

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Thanks for that Rob, love to know a bit more about these wonderful singers. Love the George Greco story Kev, me & Dave Raistrick had some very interesting times with him circa 79, 1 involving  a barbecue & a Linda Lovelace film 8-), he had a habit of booting rare tunes back then, cheers, Arthur

Social source share

Thanks for that Rob, love to know a bit more about these wonderful singers. Love the George Greco story Kev, me & Dave Raistrick had some very interesting times with him circa 79, 1 involving a barbecue & a Linda Lovelace film 8-), he had a habit of booting rare tunes back then, cheers, Arthur

He certainly was a great character and the guy that got me into Mcfarlane Music in Newark, NJ where I found the first Black and Silver DJ of the Del Larks. Ironically I sold it to Dave Raistrick.

Social source share

How can a second issue be an original?

This is all crazy talk.

Back then they were called 'pressings' - today, they're still pressings.  Just because they're "legal reissues" doesn't make them originals, the original came out in 1965 not 1975.

Every production run of a record is a pressing,the original record is original 1st press,the LEGAL re-issue/release of

the orange label is an original 2nd press,i am not saying the orange label is the original at all,the blue is the

original,no doubt about that and i love both.

There is a definitive difference when the owners of the label are involved in a re-release,

bootleg's can be made by anyone or any company,it's not crazy talk at all.

The Northern Soul scene can be complex at times and this is simply one part of it.

Social source share

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the original "legitimate" blue Marton 1002 sells for £2000.  The legal UK repress from 1979 should be, perhaps £20 (as it is fairly rare and not current).  A current legal UK re-issue would sell for £7-10.  The orange Marton (albeit legitimate re-issue with Marton owner involvement) should not sell for more than £40 or so, higher than a normal, legit oldies repressing, because it is on a facsimile label put out by the original owner.  BUT, it shouldn't be worth, say, £300, as a 1-year later re-issue by the same company might.

People paying "originals prices" for 12-year later re-issues makes no sense.

Social source share

Every production run of a record is a pressing,the original record is original 1st press,the LEGAL re-issue/release of

the orange label is an original 2nd press,i am not saying the orange label is the original at all,the blue is the

original,no doubt about that and i love both.

There is a definitive difference when the owners of the label are involved in a re-release,

bootleg's can be made by anyone or any company,it's not crazy talk at all.

The Northern Soul scene can be complex at times and this is simply one part of it.

Nonsense...you're just confusung the issue by sticking the word "original" wherever you feel like it. What next - original bootlegs?

The first pressing is the original, a later re-press may be legitimate but should never be referred to as original. But I suspect you knew that.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"I had an argument with a DJ who would not play it at a venue,he said it was a boot,i said to

him that it wasn't it was a Marton 2nd press original,the DJ that confirmed it's status was

at the venue and gave his input,the record still wasn't played,utter nonsense,the dancers

missed out yet again!!!."

THIS is what the discussion was about, NOT whether or not a "legitimate" 2nd pressing is "original", but whether or not a "legitimate" 2nd pressing issued years later (in this case 12) than the initial sales and airplay run, should be played in a NS club.

My question is:  Why should a 12-year later re-issue by the original label owner be any more "credible" to play in a NS club, than, say a UK oldies label (i.e. Grapevine) re-issue of 20+ years later?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"I had an argument with a DJ who would not play it at a venue,he said it was a boot,i said to

him that it wasn't it was a Marton 2nd press original,the DJ that confirmed it's status was

at the venue and gave his input,the record still wasn't played,utter nonsense,the dancers

THIS is what the discussion was about, NOT whether or not a "legitimate" 2nd pressing is "original", but whether or not a "legitimate" 2nd pressing issued years later (in this case 12) than the initial sales and airplay run, should be played in a NS club.

My question is:  Why should a 12-year later re-issue by the original label owner be any more "credible" to play in a NS club, than, say a UK oldies label (i.e. Grapevine) re-issue of 20+ years later?

Well slap my wrist Robb and send me to the naughty step! I must have mis-read your lengthy post #61

As far as later re-issues is concerned, who cares what label they're on as long as they're legitimate. Neither should be played at a NS night in my opinion, though some would argue otherwise.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

If RCA were involved why wouldnt they have stuck it out on Grapevine or the UK Orange RCA? Have RCA been.involved in any other label owners private pressings? All the pressings were either done by label owners or criminals to exploit the northern soul scenes demand.Why when they had legitimate labels and distribution for northern soul would they repress this??

Social source share

If RCA were involved why wouldnt they have stuck it out on Grapevine or the UK Orange RCA? Have RCA been.involved in any other label owners private pressings? All the pressings were either done by label owners or criminals to exploit the northern soul scenes demand.Why when they had legitimate labels and distribution for northern soul would they repress this??

I took the "RCA involvement quote" to refer to US East Coast RCA pressing plant only, from an order placed by the original owner at the behest of a UK record dealer in conjunction with Marton's owner.  RCA would have no other part in the production or distribution of the new record.

The poster claiming that there was original Marton owner and RCA involvement needs to clarify what part RCA had in this, and provide a source of that information.

Social source share

Guest tercy1960

Just another slant on this issue what about records being produced on little local record labels then being sold to the major labels does that make them then 2nd issues  and should'nt be played as originals

Social source share

What about major labels not paying there artists royalties ?? MGM Capitol bell etc all guilty of it- great we have some fabulous music and on original labels , however there are lots of bitter artists still with us that to this day have had little or no payout - some totally unaware that there recordings were released in other countries - think on peeps .

Social source share

Just another slant on this issue what about records being produced on little local record labels then being sold to the major labels does that make them then 2nd issues  and should'nt be played as originals

Good point.  But that has another question.  What about records out on a tiny label first, then leased to a major label, but the tiny label record is relatively common, but the major label issue is dead rare (such  as "Move On Love" by Charles Perry, and "Come Into My Palace" by Lee & The Leopards)?

Social source share

Spoke with Ray Davis (Del Larks/Parliaments) about her many years ago.   All he could remember about her was that she was a girlfriend of George Clinton's.  He also said it's the Parliaments who sing harmonies on the record, and although he said he hadn't sung the song since the day it was recorded, he was able to sing the words to it over the phone for me. 

What I have learnt is that she was Vivian 'Tamala' Lewis and had a son with George called Tracy .... She is deceased ... She was a member of the Parlettes a.k.a the Par-Lets

Andy

Social source share

Well I'm waiting for the day we can extract the DNA from individual vinyl records, then we can start to clone them. That way we have exact genetic replicas of the source vinyl. Record prices will tumble.

Ah hang on a minute; even though it will be an exact genetic copy of the original it will have been cloned way after the original was made, therefore a legit second issue maybe?

How much was the original Dolly the sheep worth and how much was her clone worth?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hopefully this little bit of trivia and fact will help draw a line under the fabulous Marton outing.....

I think I may be the first Northern Soul person to hear it and........turn it down!

Record dealer George Greco(Passaic, New Jersey) played it me in 1977 and offered at $100.

As I had a cosy relationship with George and not paying more than 20 bucks for anything from him, I found is offer 'insulting' and promptly refused to pay his 'crazy asking price'. :lol:

The record was then sold to Martin Koppell. I lost the trail on it until late 1978.

What I can tell you is, the Orange reissue was made in New Jersey. The reason I remember that part is, that several months later I moved to New York to live and met GG regularly and saw copies of the re-do in stores in the NY/NJ area alongside the doo-wop reissues of the day.

I suspect the chain of events went a little like this.........Original sold to Northern dealer, DJ breaks it at Wigan, Demand builds, UK wholesaler orders quantity from US dealer who in turn runs a few extra for the burgeoning Doo Wop/Soul oldies market on America's East and West Coast.

Happy Days :D except for yours truly 'the chump' who left for $100. BTW.....Anyone got one for sale?(Blue label only please) :thumbup:

It must have been just after that Ian Clark and I found about 6 copies in a New Jersey shop-similar number of New York In The Dark. It was a massive sound and I sold mine to Ginger and Sam at St Ives. I thought it was George's but they were cheap so it may have been the one in Plainfield.

Edited by ady croasdell
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It must have been just after that Ian Clark and I found about 6 copies in a New Jersey shop-similar number of New York In The Dark. It was a massive sound and I sold mine to Ginger and Sam at St Ives. I thought it was George's but they were cheap so it may have been the one in Plainfield.

The store in Plainfield would have been Brooks.

John Anderson was first too it and I think me a close 2nd in 1977. I know he found copies of Willie Hutch on Dunhill for a dollar each!

Social source share

Not quite correct,the issue at heart is that the orange label is NOT a boot,it is genuine,so therefore

if it is from good stock it should be played freely with originals at Northern Soul venues without

question,like I have said before it does not matter about the year.

The orange label is original,the definition of original is "belonging to the origin or the beginning of something",

this is clearly the case,so i am in order to state that it is original 2nd press and possibly the original

pressing equipment.If it is legitimate it is original,because it came from the origin,namely Marton.

Social source share

Well slap my wrist Robb and send me to the naughty step! I must have mis-read your lengthy post #61

As far as later re-issues is concerned, who cares what label they're on as long as they're legitimate. Neither should be played at a NS night in my opinion, though some would argue otherwise.

The point is this (which i have raised regarding unissued great dancers),Lets say for arguments sake

that 100 Blue label 1st press records were produced and today they are all in the hands of collectors,

most i guess will not be played at Northern Soul Venues,some are.

If Northern Soul DJ's refuse to play the Orange 2nd press record you have a situation were the

dancers are missing out because the track is barely played at all and that is unacceptable.

The music is the finest Northern Soul and it should be played to a willing dancing crowd.

Social source share

Not quite correct,the issue at heart is that the orange label is NOT a boot,it is genuine,so therefore

if it is from good stock it should be played freely with originals at Northern Soul venues without

question,like I have said before it does not matter about the year.

The orange label is original,the definition of original is "belonging to the origin or the beginning of something",

this is clearly the case,so i am in order to state that it is original 2nd press and possibly the original

pressing equipment.If it is legitimate it is original,because it came from the origin,namely Marton.

Definition of original (adj)

o·rig·i·nal

[ É™ ríjjÉ™n'l ]   

1. first: existing first, from the beginning, or before other people or things
  2. new: completely new and not copied or derived from something else
  3. creative: possessing or demonstrating the ability to think creatively

Even if it came out a year later, which it didn't it was several years, the label was a different colour i.e.. Orange not Dark Blue as per first press original, therefore the Orange 2nd issue, boot what ever you want to call it and shouldn't be played by any credible DJ.

Ok as I opened the topic for information, is anyone willing to sell me a Dark Blue ORIGINAL??? 

Social source share

Definition of original (adj)

o·rig·i·nal

[ É™ ríjjÉ™n'l ]   

1. first: existing first, from the beginning, or before other people or things
  2. new: completely new and not copied or derived from something else
  3. creative: possessing or demonstrating the ability to think creatively

Even if it came out a year later, which it didn't it was several years, the label was a different colour i.e.. Orange not Dark Blue as per first press original, therefore the Orange 2nd issue, boot what ever you want to call it and shouldn't be played by any credible DJ.

Ok as I opened the topic for information, is anyone willing to sell me a Dark Blue ORIGINAL??? 

No but I can sell you an orange original 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

If this is an RCA pressed reissue, pressed at their west coast plant as suggested then it would have an RCA matrix in the deadwax.

what is the matrix of the Orange one?

The orange issue has ONLY " M-1002-A "  on the "A" side, and "M-1002-B" on the "B" side.  There's no RCA matrix code.  Furthermore both original Martons had, in addition, the cut numbers etched into the deadwax :  If I remember correctly, A-109-N and A-110-N for the Roy Handy & The Parlettes, and A-111-N and A-112-N for the Tamala Lewis.  I don't remember any stamper logo or "LW".  But. I won't be with my Soul 45 records for several more months.

Social source share

I have an orange issue , and I would never play it out , even if nobody that night had a blue one lurking in a box , I have witnessed far too many djs , some of which have only been into northern for a few years playing del larks tomangoes etc all on 5 quid boots - respect due to a scene that's always evolved around rare records and always will , peace out

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Again, for the third time, where is your evidence Marton and RCA were involved?  Everything points to a NY dealer getting this pressed up to satisfy demand in the UK.  It is a boot as far as everyone else is concerned, only you is saying anything different.  I doubt Marton were around in the late 70's?

Here is the evidence for Marton

www.discogs.com

Tamala Lewis

Tracklist : A.  You Won't Say Nothing

Written by  E.Harris,C.Haskins,G.Clinton

B.   If You Can Stand Me

Notes :  Produced by Parlor Productions.

Blue label release

Also released with an Orange label

So,both records produced and released by Parlor Productions,no mention of any other company or dealer

and no mention of bootleg either.

Why is it no person looking at these postings could tell me that information?

Edited by Soul Flyer
Social source share

I hate that what was quite an interesting thread has been turned into another OVO debate, but I'm afraid you can harangue folk as much as you like, but no self respecting DJ should play the 2nd issue...travel to a venue, where you know one of the DJ's on the night has the original, request it & knock your self out....people can shout n debate these things until the cows come home, but it will never make it right...

Russ

I don't harangue anyone,we are all grown men and women and have a mind of our own,which means that I can express myself

and voice my opinion on this forum  as i like and will defend the right of you and anyone else to do exactly the same,

freedom of speech that's all it is.

As for attending Northern Soul venues is concerned,i attend them frequently and all over the Country,do you?.

A well respected Northern Soul DJ is a friend and he has the Blue Original Tamala Lewis in his box,i always ask him

to play it and he always does.

I know plenty of self respecting Northern Soul DJ's who will play the Orange label Tamala Lewis,they play the music

for the Dancers,because they want to hear and dance to it.

There is something that you have forgotten in your summary,the dancers PAY to gain entry to the venues,

so why can't they hear their favourite tracks?.

If there is an original to be played,great,if not play the next best thing on a record,it's about the music .

Edited by Soul Flyer
Social source share

www.discogs.com

Tamala Lewis

B.   If You Can Stand Me

Blue label release

Also released with an orange label

So,both records produced and released by Parlor Productions,no mention of any other company or dealer

You've really got no idea have you.  A bootleg or counterfeit wouldn't have any other details, they are made to look the same and to deceive.  Discogs proves nothing except whoever entered the info has no idea as well. Discogs isn't compiled by the labels or label owners but users of Discogs.   If another company had produced this under license then it would say so.

You said it was done by RCA yet you can't even back that claim up.  There is no RCA matrix or catalogue numbers anywhere on the disc.  Come back with some real evidence of this being a legitimate 2nd issue or give up.  

Like I said before, those who try and justify something like this being legitimate is because they wish to play it out without being accused of playing boots.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

www.discogs.com

Tamala Lewis

B.   If You Can Stand Me

Blue label release

Seriously. I'd stop digging now mate if I were you

Social source share

www.discogs.com

Tamala Lewis

B.   If You Can Stand Me

Blue label release

You can't take Discogs as gospel, whoever entered the record on Discogs supplied the information and that could be anyone and they could say anything.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!