Jump to content

What record to put someone off?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I am currently trying to explain to a 48 year old woman what northern soul is,it absolutely beggars belief that you can live in the uk your whole life and have never heard of northern soul! So I got to wondering whilst it’s easy to suggest that all important first song on the road to obsession,what record would you lot suggest to absolutely make sure they never go near northern soul?😂

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 60
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like Double Cookin’, Harlem Rumble, Frantic Escape...tracks that are so brilliant, they don’t even need a vocal.🎶🎶🎶💃🕺

T They all have there place mate that's for sure....it's all personal taste I suppose...I just know if it was played to me as my first example of northern soul music, I wouldn't listen to a sec

It could be a long list. Some good examples mentioned. To actually put somebody off though, it can't be a once popular poppy happy go.lucky tune simply because if it made somebody happy once

Posted

I would not want to put anyone off Northern Soul. There is an enormous wealth of brilliant, excellent, good and fair sounds so for most of the time, you can’t go wrong. There are a few tailor made Levine tracks that come to mind and some pop-chart tunes we now tend to overlook, but the one I would nominate is the Enchantments-I’m In Love With Your Daughter on Faro. This has an odd beat, is hard to dance to and is atypical of the genre.

PS I really like the Peanut Duck, especially the quack quack bits, nutty Detroit...

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
52 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

 

Whilst I agree it’s a record to show someone the door,it didn’t with me,I loved it and still do,the first record I owned was the blue casino classics lp,I loved every last song on it,then I was hooked for life!

4 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

I would not want to put anyone off Northern Soul. There is an enormous wealth of brilliant, excellent, good and fair sounds so for most of the time, you can’t go wrong. There are a few tailor made Levine tracks that come to mind and some pop-chart tunes we now tend to overlook, but the one I would nominate is the Enchantments-I’m In Love With Your Daughter on Faro. This has an odd beat, is hard to dance to and is atypical of the genre.

PS I really like the Peanut Duck, especially the quack quack bits, nutty Detroit...

Sorry mate it’s my wording,I meant a record(not on purpose) that would put them off and never go near northern soul again😂

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Tim tam and the turn ons -wait a minute would of certainly put me off....Thank you....Rob

Was a brilliant floor filler at Station Road along with the likes of Nine times out of ten. Too many people,  etc

Time and place thing. 

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

T

36 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Was a brilliant floor filler at Station Road along with the likes of Nine times out of ten. Too many people,  etc

Time and place thing. 

They all have there place mate that's for sure....it's all personal taste I suppose...I just know if it was played to me as my first example of northern soul music, I wouldn't listen to a second example😂😂....Rob

  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
Just now, Lionelonthevinyl said:

T

They all have there place mate that's for sure....it's all personal taste I suppose...I just know if it was played to me as my first example of northern soul music, I wouldn't listen to a second example😂😂....Rob

Great answer my mate😂

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

 

PS I really like the Peanut Duck, especially the quack quack bits, nutty Detroit...

😮🤣

  • Up vote 1
  • Listening 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

T

They all have there place mate that's for sure....it's all personal taste I suppose...I just know if it was played to me as my first example of northern soul music, I wouldn't listen to a second example😂😂....Rob

I would say exactly the same thing if it was Keep on keeping on  , Jeanette  .

Time for my tin hat me thinks 

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I would say exactly the same thing if it was Keep on keeping on  , Jeanette  .

Time for my tin hat me thinks 

Ooohhh very controversial 😂

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

A good fun thread, nice one Lee!!! Can remember being at a do and "dance, dance dance" came on...was just about to turn to my mate and say this is sh1t  and he was off bustin some moves on the dance floor!!!!....as I say one man's mead is another man's poison...will be some good replies to this I reckon....Rob

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Mine would be...Interplay-Derek & Ray....We go Together-August & Deneen....Theme from Joe 90-Ron Grainer.....and i guess a controversial pick....Country Girl-Vickie Baines....quack quack!!!!!

  • Up vote 2
  • Listening 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 minutes ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

Mine would be...Interplay-Derek & Ray....We go Together-August & Deneen....Theme from Joe 90-Ron Grainer.....and i guess a controversial pick....Country Girl-Vickie Baines....quack quack!!!!!

I like interplay,and I actually like the joe 90 tune,The others can go in the bin😂

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Unfortunately there is a reason most of these abominable mid-70s Wigan pop favs were monsters and that is because they were catchy to an adolescent ear. In my experience if you want to put someone off play them 20 minutes back to back instrumentals!

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I wondered how long it would be before wigan pop songs were mentioned, just strange that they fill the floors of most ns nights and not many adolescents in sight. One mans poison and all that.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Soulfusion said:

Unfortunately there is a reason most of these abominable mid-70s Wigan pop favs were monsters and that is because they were catchy to an adolescent ear. In my experience if you want to put someone off play them 20 minutes back to back instrumentals!

Like Double Cookin’, Harlem Rumble, Frantic Escape...tracks that are so brilliant, they don’t even need a vocal.🎶🎶🎶💃🕺

  • Up vote 10
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I agree but you will find newcomers to music becoming quickly bored without a vocal hook to worm its way into their mind

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
17 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

I agree but you will find newcomers to music becoming quickly bored without a vocal hook to worm its way into their mind

I agree that to entice someone into the scene that has never heard anything,it needs to be a upbeat Motown song or a poppy casino type belter,if you played something like the counts peaches baby straight off the bat they would run a mile! 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I loved instrumentals when I first got into it. In fact it came as quite a surprise when I found out some people disliked them because as there's no vocal they couldn't be classed as soul.

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
12 minutes ago, John A said:

I loved instrumentals when I first got into it. In fact it came as quite a surprise when I found out some people disliked them because as there's no vocal they couldn't be classed as soul.

Some fantastic instrumentals. Afternoon of the rhino is probably my favourite 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Was a brilliant floor filler at Station Road along with the likes of Nine times out of ten. Too many people,  etc

Time and place thing

Time, Place, and Illegal Substances Ste..

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I agree that to entice someone into the scene that has never heard anything,it needs to be a upbeat Motown song or a poppy casino type belter,if you played something like the counts peaches baby straight off the bat they would run a mile! 

I have a friend of 24.. well into grunge.. played her Joseph Moore ' I Still Can't Get You' and she LOVES IT !! Everything about it for her was superb and she really appreciated both the lyric and music content - even to the point of getting me to pay it to her friend when she was round - but didn't get the same type response lol

Can't wait to get the decks and stuff set up proper so I can indulge her for an hour or so and see if she is for turning

Edited by Ficklefingers
  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 minutes ago, Ficklefingers said:

Time, Place, and Illegal Substances Ste..

Nothing changes John. 😁. Hope your keeping safe and well my friend.  

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

It could be a long list.

Some good examples mentioned.

To actually put somebody off though, it can't be a once popular poppy happy go.lucky tune simply because if it made somebody happy once...it could again.

So more looking at an extreme tune, just bordering on norvun.....but yet brilliant to devotees.

Got to be this. Brilliant but weird

Ed

  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Star wars theme , Meco, played over & over cos people were dancing to it in circa 1977/78. 😐

Edited by Span
Mis spelling
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 hours ago, John A said:

I loved instrumentals when I first got into it. In fact it came as quite a surprise when I found out some people disliked them because as there's no vocal they couldn't be classed as soul.

Totally agree John, as you know I also love a banging instrumental...some with more soul than any vocal imo

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

It could be a long list.

Some good examples mentioned.

To actually put somebody off though, it can't be a once popular poppy happy go.lucky tune simply because if it made somebody happy once...it could again.

So more looking at an extreme tune, just bordering on norvun.....but yet brilliant to devotees.

Got to be this. Brilliant but weird

Ed

Good point. Follow it up with Summer in The Parks or The Gig 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Exodus - Biddu Orchestra, might do it, though I'm sure there's some hairs on the back of the neck moments going on right now

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

It could be a long list.

Some good examples mentioned.

To actually put somebody off though, it can't be a once popular poppy happy go.lucky tune simply because if it made somebody happy once...it could again.

So more looking at an extreme tune, just bordering on norvun.....but yet brilliant to devotees.

Got to be this. Brilliant but weird

Ed

It’s funny how something played backwards can be unsettling without being obvious. There are some movies that do this really well with irreversible being a prime example. Not for watching with children or anyone easily disturbed. Some very disturbing scenes made more disturbing by    music in reverse. The shortest time  between viewings of this film I have managed is a year. Once you notice the effect of the initial attack and decay it becomes easy to notice backwards music..

I know, backwards posts as well.....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Now here's the thing, any one you are trying to put off Northern Soul who has never heard of it is more likely to be  into POP Music which judging by the poppier end of Northern Soul records mentioned in the thread are going to be right up their street or am i missing something 🙄 just a thought  

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Now here's the thing, any one you are trying to put off Northern Soul who has never heard of it is more likely to be  into POP Music which judging by the poppier end of Northern Soul records mentioned in the thread are going to be right up their street or am i missing something 🙄 just a thought  

They might think that they are not missing out on anything, and be disinclined to investigate further.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Now here's the thing, any one you are trying to put off Northern Soul who has never heard of it is more likely to be  into POP Music which judging by the poppier end of Northern Soul records mentioned in the thread are going to be right up their street or am i missing something 🙄 just a thought  

Good point, but its not very good pop music though 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

This one can be described as shocking.

Leon Young Strings - Glad All Over on Pye Disco (UK)

There's actually a new release of an unissued track by a well known singer doing the rounds at the moment that I actually think is the even worse but I'll keep schtum as I don't want to upset anyone .

It was even played on the radio in Norwich this week.

 

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, DukeBurgundy said:

This one can be described as shocking.

Leon Young Strings - Glad All Over on Pye Disco (UK)

There's actually a new release of an unissued track by a well known singer doing the rounds at the moment that I actually think is the even worse but I'll keep schtum as I don't want to upset anyone .

It was even played on the radio in Norwich this week.

 

 

I remember an instrumental of Glad All over being played in Mr Ms. Don't think it was that one though...Mind you it was pretty dire as well

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

How about a recent piece of played in lockdown pap.

That Jody’s got married pile of pop turd. 😂

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tricky said:

How about a recent piece of played in lockdown pap.

That Jody’s got married pile of pop turd. 😂

At last someone else,  thought i was alone with this one, well described too.

Just one of many and some already above.

For someone giving it a try for the first time walking in to a venue hearing House for Sale would probably have them say ' Wrong venue.....we must be in the Estate Agent's Money for Nothing Annual Ball !

truly should be left as their anthem as its cheese,  its a lie about the spacious living room btw......just my opinion.

Edited by JOEfromupnorth
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Could Someone Test Out New Record Site?
    Look At Your Box by Pete S on Tue 23 Oct 2012
    • 39 / 1127
    • LarsC on 30 Oct 2012
  2. I Thought Someone Said Record Prices Were Falling
    All About The Soul by Jimmy A on Tue 27 Oct 2009
    • 11 / 1048
    • Perception on 28 Oct 2009
  3. Someone Sell Me This Record Mojoba Say You Will On Polydor
    Record Wants by Flanny on Sun 11 Aug 2013
    • 2 / 1121
    • NCFC on 12 Aug 2013
  4. How Does Someone Win A Record On Ebay At The Same Price I Bid?
    All About The Soul by SWIFTY on Sun 08 Jul 2012
    • 14 / 1351
    • Jhsoulnotts on 09 Jul 2012
  5. Can Someone Tell Me What This Record Is Please?
    Look At Your Box by Beeks on Mon 10 Nov 2008
    • 19 / 1185
    • Pete Coulson on 15 Nov 2008
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.