JMAuction - 17/11/2021 - Results!

Zanetti

fyi

*1st Click On The Attached .png To Enlarge!

*Click Once More

*It Will Start In A New Tab

*Click Again To Enlarge

--- --- --- --- ---

*To Download - Right Click On The .png - Save Image As

M O S T L Y  T O D A Y  M I N T  M * * * F * * * G   M O N S T E R S ! !

screencapture-raresoulman-co-uk-auction-soul-auction-soul-auction-ending-this-wednesday-html-2021-11-17-19_00_57.png

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

I agree, very rare record.  Was a grand ten years ago

I was bidding on it myself, up to a point, as it was looking like a great opportunity to get a second copy, in fantastic condition and cheap. Then unfortunately, it crept above what I could justify paying for what would be a 'spare'!

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Heard John Peel play Margaret Mandolph one Sunday afternoon on his BBC radio show. He did play some random stuff. Wonder if it was a real copy.

Ronnie & Robyn... absolute monster back in the day. So atmospheric. Quite cheap I think at todays prices for such a big old tune.

Ed

google gives ya

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/05_December_1983

says from the 83 kent  floorshakers lp along with Earl Grant

plus....

if ya go here

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/Kent_Records

you get a list of every ace/kent track he ever played 

Edited by Source
other link
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Source said:

google gives ya

plus....

if ya go here

Amazing stuff....I nearly fell off the chair when it came on....by 83 it was a true oldie.

Ed

Social source share

8 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Should have bought Dave Charles from Pat Brady for £200 all those years ago. Back then, £200 was a lot to pay for a record; so, I blew £200 on a soul pack of 100 records instead. Huge mistake. With hindsight, I dearly wish I’d bought Dave Charles, but I ain’t gonna blow that sort of dosh on an £800 record.

Funnily enough my Dave Charles came from Pat c 1991-2. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Heard John Peel play Margaret Mandolph one Sunday afternoon on his BBC radio show. He did play some random stuff. Wonder if it was a real copy.

Ed

Ed. The BBC used to get a copy of every record that was released,  definitely in the UK but no reason to doubt US releases also. My first copy of Sue Lynne   Don't pity me had a BBC  record library stamp on the label and on the half round clear plastic record sleeve.  So there was a good chance it was a original 

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Ed. The BBC used to get a copy of every record that was released,  definitely in the UK but no reason to doubt US releases also. My first copy of Sue Lynne   Don't pity me had a BBC  record library stamp on the label and on the half round clear plastic record sleeve.  So there was a good chance it was a original 

Apparently the BBC copies were all issues (?) I think they sold them off some years back, which would explain your stamp

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Merve said:

Apparently the BBC copies were all issues (?) I think they sold them off some years back, which would explain your stamp

Merve.  Every BBC  radio  station got there own copy,  don't know how many stations  there are but that's a lot of records mate.

I wonder if they had copies of Darrell Banks ? 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Merve.  Every BBC  radio  station got there own copy,  don't know how many stations  there are but that's a lot of records mate.

I wonder if they had copies of Darrell Banks ? 

Yes mate, but for some reason The Beeb used to have issues where as all the other stations had free demos (so I was told). But, as we all know "I was told" doesn't mean its 100% fact even though the fella who told me had worked there at one time, so I wouldn't swear to it.

As for Darrell Banks, if the above is true they probably wouldn't have had it if the legendary London issues were withdrawn before it came out on Stateside  ? Not an expert on British though, I've always been a U.S. Collector 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Girdwoodinc said:

There were a few about this time last year, on hindsight should've picked one up but can't really complain as I ended up with the Jay Bees 

Yeah picked mine up bout 10 years ago from Anoraks Corner when he found a few in Japan . Seem to turn up in small batches then disappear again . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Will said:

I was bidding on it myself, up to a point, as it was looking like a great opportunity to get a second copy, in fantastic condition and cheap. Then unfortunately, it crept above what I could justify paying for what would be a 'spare'!

Will....It sounded fabulous when you played it in the middle of your very entertaining set at Newark a couple of years back.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Patto said:

I have the Ronnie and Robyn on its first Original Red Issue..That one must be worth a few quid

FB_IMG_1633111514101.thumb.jpg.ec532d3e7f63557f48ab937e08b0a710.jpg

Sidra 9006 use to be the 'rare' collectable for the collector's for the 'each time' (pop) side I understood back then. But I wouldn't know any better since I never liked those sides. From memory Sidra 9011 was floating around evenly both as promo or stocker before the 'return of the ugly' or 'the uprise of the hypstyer'.Where Sidra 9006 was less or not.

But now with the TOP 500 tourists big spenders in the game it's the 'as long as you love me' that counts... Meaning that maybe by now if a Sidra 9006 would be offered on auction it won't exceed the value of Sidra 9011 on auction where it use to be much more valued amongst collector's and price guides if ever. Time change as well.

Social source share

On 17/11/2021 at 21:15, Source said:

google gives ya

plus....

if ya go here

John Peel’s favourite stompers CD coming up 

12 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Not US 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Tomangoes said:

Well....I did not see it on the list, but I'm sure he also played Tears Lee Roye on a nighttime show....and described it as dire, or something along those lines...other classics were from Alien Sex Fiend....you can't get more diverse than that:)

Ed

It wasn't an Ace/Kent release so not included ... I was shocked, but thrilled, when it came on

Andy

Social source share

8 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

And Mr Peel played The Cairos - Stop Overlooking me ... when Ady released it on Horaces

Margaret is the sister of Bobby Mandolph (Vault Records)

Andy

9 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

John Peel’s favourite stompers CD coming up 

Not US 

Might be useful (if it translates)

Great stuff about Margaret and her family

https://musicaparaleer-wordpress-com.translate.goog/2008/10/12/margaret-mandolph/?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=nui,sc

"Life was hard for a family of artists. Like many people at that time, the Mandolphs sought their fortune in California. When they arrived in the mid-1950s, they settled in Lancaster. By then the family had a new member: little Margaret.

In sunny California Howard Mandolph continued his career of successes in the shadows, playing among others for Bobby Womack . He also composed various songs, highlighting the adaptation of the British children's song " Hickory Dickory Dock " that he did for Etta James ."

Mandolphs.jpg

Maragret.jpg

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!