Nabay - Impact WD

Julianb

49 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Why would impact not make wdj copies?

I'd be surprised if non existed.

First heard this at KGB about 78. It was an "impact" sound for a while. Not sure if it had been played out before earlier.

Ed

it looks different to the rest of the impact 45s.. probably a vanity release and the last on the label before it shut up shop in september 1967

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Why would impact not make wdj copies?

I'd be surprised if non existed.

First heard this at KGB about 78. It was an "impact" sound for a while. Not sure if it had been played out before earlier.

Ed

One of Sam's 1st's if I remember right in 78....Could be wrong now you mention it though because I too remember it at The KGB but don't remember him playing there. Remember him hammering it at The Fleet.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

it looks different to the rest of the impact 45s.. probably a vanity release and the last on the label before it shut up shop in september 1967

Pressed at Shelly (raised X) along with Rod Riguez as opposed to using the familiar Columbia ZTSC the others had

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/03/2022 at 11:48, Headsy said:

Was he not a Moroccan guy who just rolled up and paid the studio time?

and no not that Miroccan guy....

Yes another vanity record indeed. Remembeing hearing long ago that the guy was from Libanese origin... Nabay a deformation of an arabic name like Nabil maybe ? Was he the composer A. Bushamie ?

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Yes another vanity record indeed. Remembeing hearing long ago that the guy was from Libanese origin... Nabay a deformation of an arabic name like Nabil maybe ? Was he the composer A. Bushamie ?

Nabay Restum AKA Nicki Robbins (stage name) was Lebanese and was raised in the South end of Dearborn, Michigan
Nabay also sang with the The Royaltones in some of the local clubs.

Ali Bushamie started off as a saxophone player that played with the Counts. The Counts was one of the early groups that Bob Babbit played Upright Bass in. The group consisted of Ali Bushamie (sax) Gene Malido (sax) Norman Sands (drums) and Nabay(Nabay Restum)vocals. 

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Nabay Restum AKA Nicki Robbins (stage name) was Lebanese and was raised in the South end of Dearborn, Michigan
Nabay also sang with the The Royaltones in some of the local clubs.

Ali Bushamie started off as a saxophone player that played with the Counts. The Counts was one of the early groups that Bob Babbit played Upright Bass in. The group consisted of Ali Bushamie (sax) Gene Malido (sax) Norman Sands (drums) and Nabay(Nabay Restum)vocals. 

as said before

if posting info direct from another website, you do need to credit the resource

thanks

Social source share

I think those Selectadisc finds were much earlier when it was situated in Arkwright St down from the station - probably 72/73 - I pulled a Professionals - Groove City out of there on a midweek visit whilst travelling back from a University interview in Sheffield - Got the Professionals but never went to uni - too busy with records and dj'ing back in 72 to focus on A levels. 5 pints for lunch prior to a 3 hr. 'A' level Economics paper didn't help.

Derek Allen always told me he'd had Nabay forever but never played it much - just filed away on a shelf in his 15000 + record room. Great human being - never a bad word about anyone

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not sure why Nabays details are still a mystery for some, I thought everyone knew by now that I met and interviewed  Nabay and his Mum over 30 years ago in 1991; it’s been well documented. I also later over in Calif, met and interviewed his brother, a drummer. Yes he is Lebanese not Moroccan. I also met Al Bushamie and interviewed him too. The leads came from Bob Babbitt who I spoke to on the phone in 1990 while he was living in Nashville. Bob gave me Al’s details and it followed from there, with Al then giving me Nabays contact details. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Colouredman said:

Not sure why Nabays details are still a mystery for some, I thought everyone knew by now that I met and interviewed  Nabay and his Mum over 30 years ago in 1991; it’s been well documented. I also later over in Calif, met and interviewed his brother, a drummer. Yes he is Lebanese not Moroccan. I also met Al Bushamie and interviewed him too. The leads came from Bob Babbitt who I spoke to on the phone in 1990 while he was living in Nashville. Bob gave me Al’s details and it followed from there, with Al then giving me Nabays contact details. 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/390378-nabay-the-first-pic-finally-do-you-believe-it-or-not/

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Vadnochka said:

Derek Allen always told me he'd had Nabay forever but never played it much - just filed away on a shelf in his 15000 + record room. Great human being - never a bad word about anyone

Yes he did have it & I was there when he played it one night, but sadly it hissed quite badly. Derek was a lovely man, I do miss him.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/03/2022 at 04:17, Blackpoolsoul said:

Selecta Disc and 1976 are very interesting connections, did SS boot it then as a white one, I wonder ? Rob may remember it if someone asks him

Yes Steve, Rob and Derek did have them earlier 76 was the first time I heard Rob play it, at a local do in Notts 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 27/03/2022 at 17:20, Speedlimit said:

Yes Steve, Rob and Derek did have them earlier 76 was the first time I heard Rob play it, at a local do in Notts 

WOW Rob is on facebook, which is a remarkable thing and has stunned me, perhaps someone can ask him, if he does have the fabled article, it may be in a carrier bag somewhere

https://www.facebook.com/robsrecordsnottingham/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Rob most definitely has one, and used to play it in his warm up spots (before he got to the good stuff as he put it) around early '76. Like many great tracks, they only become in demand when a big name dj plays them. He was playing "Call me" Eddie Bishop around the same time - though we did try to stop him...

Nabay came from the Selectadisc warehouse, along with many other Detroit titles, most were the more common Ric Tic/Golden World kind of titles but some real surprises came out of there. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Looked and I think someone manages his FB page for him, so no joy.

Used to have his mobile about 20 years ago but no longer, I'll ask Kev to ask him

would have worked better if ya had looked before posting up details

maybe something to consider for your future posts

20 hours ago, Rich B said:

Rob most definitely has one, and used to play it in his warm up spots (before he got to the good stuff as he put it) around early '76. Like many great tracks, they only become in demand when a big name dj plays them. He was playing "Call me" Eddie Bishop around the same time - though we did try to stop him...

Nabay came from the Selectadisc warehouse, along with many other Detroit titles, most were the more common Ric Tic/Golden World kind of titles but some real surprises came out of there. 

top post, thanks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!