BBC Radio Four Woman's Hour: Northern Soul feature

Go to solution Solved by Source Team,

On 24/01/2024 at 12:36, Timbo58 said:

When this sort of social media 'look at me I'm doing Northern soul' dance routine was first seen on YouTube etc, it was felt by many, including me, to be 'ok in small doses' or 'Ok for the kids to be doing it'. 

Perhaps we all naively hoped they'd either move onto something else or be encouraged and encourage others into the scene proper, for some time that appeared to be the case.

I wish it had stayed that way as surely that's where the 'as long as they're having fun' statement was fair?

Unfortunately it's where the mainstream national media latched onto this 'new thing' and took those specific creators absolutely seriously, it has crossed the Rubicon.

The irony is, that if the genuine respect of the rest of the real rare soul scene were rewarded in hard currency, these people now declaring themselves as spokespeople for the rest of us wouldn't have enough to buy a cup of tea.

What flavour Rubicon Tim? Sticky feet crossing the Rubicon. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Watch it Paul you’ll be getting letters from corporate lawyers next lol 😂. Is anyone surprised by this ? When I first saw the Bristol Scene I thought good on them  for getting into the music . 🎵. This saddens me however ! 
This ain’t good on many levels , why is her name next to Otis Clays on the playlist ? 
It’s  almost passé now to challenge stuff like this because there has been so much rubbish and mediocrity thrown down our throats for so long that all the bullshit and cashing in is as embedded in the scene as  much as everything else ? 
I don’t know what a northern soul disrupter is perhaps someone could tell me ? 
I miss the scene how it was but i will be dammed if I partake now , I respect immensely those that still go out and seek the venues that try to stay true to turning up records etc but there are few and far between that’s the records not the Venues there still good people out there however.

Charley have looked at the landscape and embraced a different narrative that is a million miles away from the speed rinsed coolness we we’re brought  up  with . As one of the biggest licensors of music perhaps the artistes families will benefit in some form , I really hope so ? Wonder what the split is however ? 

I think that's a fair assessment Baz, and probably just about where I am, as an old man who started my journey with the music since I was a youngster, attending my first all niter in 1978. Of course many people were involved much earlier than I.

Your comment regarding Otis Clay particularly resonates with me; I was only speaking about hm and his wonderful musical legacy yesterday. In fact I shared one of his tracks which was posted on a thread here with my friend Preacher Man, a retired Church Pastor. (My nickname for my friend taken from a number of great soul records).

My final point would just be to say that there are of course a number of "big name", long time stalwarts of the scene, who make a living out of trying to recreate the "speed rinsed coolness we we’re brought up with". It just can't be done. 

Regards

Peter

Edited by Peter99
err
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Watch it Paul you’ll be getting letters from corporate lawyers next lol 😂. Is anyone surprised by this ? When I first saw the Bristol Scene I thought good on them  for getting into the music . 🎵. This saddens me however ! 
This ain’t good on many levels , why is her name next to Otis Clays on the playlist ? 
It’s  almost passé now to challenge stuff like this because there has been so much rubbish and mediocrity thrown down our throats for so long that all the bullshit and cashing in is as embedded in the scene as  much as everything else ? 
I don’t know what a northern soul disrupter is perhaps someone could tell me ? 
I miss the scene how it was but i will be dammed if I partake now , I respect immensely those that still go out and seek the venues that try to stay true to turning up records etc but there are few and far between that’s the records not the Venues there still good people out there however.

Charley have looked at the landscape and embraced a different narrative that is a million miles away from the speed rinsed coolness we we’re brought  up  with . As one of the biggest licensors of music perhaps the artistes families will benefit in some form , I really hope so ? Wonder what the split is however ? 

It’ll not be lawyers Baz. Paul will get trolled by them under one of their anonymous accounts. They have trolled and abused many who dare to question what they do. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Chalky said:

It’ll not be lawyers Baz. Paul will get trolled by them under one of their anonymous accounts. They have trolled and abused many who dare to question what they do. 

They never trolled me ... they just got arsey and blocked me ... saved me hitting the button ... :lol:

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Chalky said:

What! Have they trolled people on here Karl, or are you referring to other social media accounts. They don't sound like very nice people. 

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Yeah we are in a different world now Karl ironically I was  signing the praises of the Bristol Scene on Facebook a few months ago don’t think I will anymore mate ! 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

I think that's a fair assessment Baz, and probably just about where I am, as an old man who started my journey with the music since I was a youngster, attending my first all niter in 1978. Of course many people were involved much earlier than I.

Your comment regarding Otis Clay particularly resonates with me; I was only speaking about hm and his wonderful musical legacy yesterday. In fact I shared one of his tracks which was posted on a thread here with my friend Preacher Man, a retired Church Pastor. (My nickname for my friend taken from a number of great soul records).

My final point would just be to say that there are of course a number of "big name", long time stalwarts of the scene, who make a living out of trying to recreate the "speed rinsed coolness we we’re brought up with".

Regards

Peter

Fair dues Pete’ them DJs were never really part of the scene I once belonged to ie the  Rare Soul Scene making a living out of that part of the scene is in the domain of the very few ! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Paul-s said:

CHARLY RECORDS - List Levanna as the Artist, f--k the artists is the message: 

"Influencer, dancer, promoter and celebutante Levanna (aka “Northern Soul Girl”) lends here DJ skills and magnetic personality to a stunning new ‘rare soul’ series honed from the Charly vaults. Features 16 dance floor favourites from the home of the young souls of Britain and elevated by the country’s top Northern Soul disrupter. "The album name relays the good times and memories that are made when you are into Northern Soul. The feeling of being completely free" Levanna Album Promotion.

Another exclusive from Charly Records."

To me this is just totally narcissistic and an obvious display of a lack of respect for the musicians and the scene. 

Levanna (real name Abby) and her mum (EVE) gave up paid work to focus on this venture (capital) and they seem to be prepared to stomp all over the musicians, and working class roots and historical roots of the scene, in a desperate attempt to cash in at any cost. I certainly don't have a "they are just having fun' attitude towards it. 

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 10.48.02.png

Very likely to me that Charly lists Levanna as an artist just due to technical reason (website database), e.g. Discogs lists compilers like Ady C as artists as well.

Levanna/Abby and her mom wouldn't be the first one or even currently the only ones trying to exploit the scene financially would they?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Benji said:

Very likely to me that Charly lists Levanna as an artist just due to technical reason (website database), e.g. Discogs lists compilers like Ady C as artists as well.

Levanna/Abby and her mom wouldn't be the first one or even currently the only ones trying to exploit the scene financially would they?

Not that old chestnut.

I cant be bothered explaining the difference here to you, it becomes exhausting.

You either know your history or not. I do.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 30/01/2024 at 15:55, Benji said:

No true. But without past credentials, pedigree or what have you no other have truly achieve to do so. Levanna and Abby only manage to do so after having achieve the pathetic social media 'influencer' or bonafide popular Miss Nobody status. Because without that she / they would never have had her comp.

But you're right it's only Charly's database showing that because it is only that ; a technical feature. But it shows it and that's the point of it. And it's just not right is it ? It goes to show why it's the little things that counts too. Little loose seemingly harmless nothings add up and become that ; a monster. Always said so.

Remembering all the enchantement at her beginning where everyone around me 'fell in love' with her moves while I was holding back most of what I was thinking not to be called the cynical again. Now they laugh when I comment what she was to them. Love is blind and now that the time did its part the veil has fallen some.

And I'm sure you're not dissing Ady C. while comparing him being in such similar 'database' position as Levanna... 😱 Just to tease you Benji 😉 Come to think of Ady as a 'Hot Bunny' sometimes he actually might like to be introduced... 😚 No offense Ady. You're a gentleman not to trade we all know that. 

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

I have been trolled many times and the messages are disgusting. I've kept them for printing at a later date. One telling me to hang myself and to move over for the 'cool young people'. This came from one of Bristol Northern Soul Clubs fake accounts ( they have a few. Other people have received abuse too, if they question the Bristol narrative of taking NS into the 21st century.

They don't hide their contempt for the roots of the scene. Here's a message shared between them. The arrogance is beyond belief, but not really...they have created their 'soul' online and its a total fabrication, a parody, a tribute act, a themed night....a shallow grave for Northern Soul.

IMG_3025 2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

No true. But without past credentials, pedigree or what have you no other have truly achieve to do so. Levanna and Abby only manage to do so after having achieve the pathetic social media 'influencer' or bonafide popular Miss Nobody status. Because without that she / they would never have had her comp.

But you're right it's only Charley's database showing that because it is only that ; a technical feature. But it shows it and that's the point of it. And it's just not right is it ? It goes to show why it's the little things that counts too. Little loose seemingly harmless nothings add up and become that ; a monster. Always said so.

Remembering all the enchantement at her beginning where everyone around me 'fell in love' with her moves while I was holding back most of what I was thinking not to be called the cynical again. Now they laugh when I comment what she was to them. Love is blind and now that the time did its part the veil has fallen some.

And I'm sure you're not dissing Ady C. while comparing him being in such similar 'database' position as Levanna... 😉 Come to think of Ady as a 'Hot Bunny' sometimes he actually might like to be introduced... 

Well said.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Interested in the 'technical reason' for listing the other compilations as 'Various Artists'? 

I don't want to suggest that Charly are seeking to celebrate the 'celebutante -disruptor' (their wording) over the music and musicians, but it does make one suspicious.

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

Social source share

When you think it is about “you” and you put yourself above everything and everyone,  make it all about you, then you miss the whole point of it all. 

2 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Yeah we are in a different world now Karl ironically I was  signing the praises of the Bristol Scene on Facebook a few months ago don’t think I will anymore mate ! 

I like to see youngsters get involved and I too only had good to say about most of them at one point but after seeing their behaviour in social media circles not anymore. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

When you think it is about “you” and you put yourself above everything and everyone,  make it all about you, then you miss the whole point of it all. 

I like to see youngsters get involved and I too only had good to say about most of them at one point but after seeing their behaviour in social media circles not anymore. 

I totally agree...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

That was Val Palmer

Eve was a 100 Club and Stafford regular in the 80s. She ran some nights in or near Bristol late 90s/early 00s. I guest DJed for her

That makes it even worse. So she should know better. She should know some context and history.

I guess she didn't notice that 100 club, its DJ's and dancers were moving nicely through the decades and into the 21st century without the 'super coolness' of a tiny Bristol club with no dance-floor pronouncing itself as the centre of Northern Soul.

You must be very grateful for her keeping the scene alive I guess....

Edited by Paul-s
Social source share

On 30/01/2024 at 09:53, Paul-s said:

CHARLY RECORDS - List Levanna as the Artist, f--k the artists is the message: 

"Influencer, dancer, promoter and celebutante Levanna (aka “Northern Soul Girl”) lends here DJ skills and magnetic personality to a stunning new ‘rare soul’ series honed from the Charly vaults. Features 16 dance floor favourites from the home of the young souls of Britain and elevated by the country’s top Northern Soul disrupter. "The album name relays the good times and memories that are made when you are into Northern Soul. The feeling of being completely free" Levanna Album Promotion.

Another exclusive from Charly Records."

To me this is just totally narcissistic and an obvious display of a lack of respect for the musicians and the scene. 

Levanna (real name Abby) and her mum (EVE) gave up paid work to focus on this venture (capital) and they seem to be prepared to stomp all over the musicians, and working class roots and historical roots of the scene, in a desperate attempt to cash in at any cost. I certainly don't have a "they are just having fun' attitude towards it. 

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 10.48.02.png

Social source share

On 19/01/2024 at 09:31, Mark S said:

Not worth getting bent out of shape over. Everyone has thier own NS story and differing points of reference depending when they first got into it, for me early 70s Manchester very different culturally than the 90s and by the time Levanna got into it 2014 the genie was well and truly out of the bottle.                                                       The disinterest demonstrated by the presenter was evident when Levanna spoke about beat ballads and popcorn the presenter never asked what that was it's not normal parlance in everyday speech.                  The media have never understood or represented the scene propperly and never will this was evident with the Proms and various documentarys          Levanna and her Mum are doing no more damage than some of the big name DJs that feel the need to promote the scene and co-operate with the media. The scene has historically gathered its own momentum  in spite of interference will survive. 

Well said 

I have worked closely with BNSC and we guest there  in January 

having got to know Eve Levanna and these up and coming kids I can vouch that they are trying to hold up the scene as many people are now getting older and it needs this injection 

I have been involved or started this great soul scene journey way back in mid 70s and am impressed as of any time in what they are trying to achieve 

we support each other here in Bristol ( I’ve been here since 1990s )  Go Go Children was a fore runner other than Yate that kept it going down here 

furthermore talking to these kids they are knowledgeable and so enthusiastic about this music and that in essence is the reality 

people judge but never go so it’s a bit hypocritical in my eyes keep going Eve Levanna and co because if you don’t the scene will die because people have casted stones and not give it a chance 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Bloodseed said:

Well said 

I have worked closely with BNSC and we guest there  in January 

having got to know Eve Levanna and these up and coming kids I can vouch that they are trying to hold up the scene as many people are now getting older and it needs this injection 

I have been involved or started this great soul scene journey way back in mid 70s and am impressed as of any time in what they are trying to achieve 

we support each other here in Bristol ( I’ve been here since 1990s )  Go Go Children was a fore runner other than Yate that kept it going down here 

furthermore talking to these kids they are knowledgeable and so enthusiastic about this music and that in essence is the reality 

people judge but never go so it’s a bit hypocritical in my eyes keep going Eve Levanna and co because if you don’t the scene will die because people have casted stones and not give it a chance 

The scene isa not what it was but it will not die and one little club with a supporters who probably will not stay the course once real life commitments kick will not keep the scene going or moving forward.  They certainly are progressing the scene, no new music comes out of that club.  They do not support venues all, over the country.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Chalky 

isn’t that the way it’s always been ? 
I went to niters back in the day and maybe a third of them are still going it’s a circle 

as for these youngsters they do travel and support other venues I know this as I’ve spoken to them  as near as last Sunday when they attended my do after going to the 100 club the night before We need to encourage them and from where I’m standing it looks healthier for the future if we all pull in the same direction  no one owns the scene so we all need to do our bit 😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/01/2024 at 18:46, Kenb said:

You are right of course. But Cultural appropriation is everywhere, and NS is the newsest incarnation of it. Happy to hear you keep calling it out.

There’s a pretty strong argument that Northern soul itself is cultural appropriation of the highest order. A bunch of white people robbing 45s from poor black folk, building a scene around them, copying the dancing and using black power iconography etc - the list goes on. I mean, i love it and i’m fully invested and would argue it’s all out of love, but we can’t get the hump about other people culturally appropriating cultural appropriation can we….?

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Also if you’re involved or have been involved in any sort of ‘scene related extra curricular activity’ - soul films, soul plays, soul fashion videos / promos, soul floats at national events, you really ought to forfeit the right to complain as it feels like pure hypocrisy. If you’re out there chucking it about you best be clean imho. Just one opinion….

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Robbing? The majority of the recordings would have been lost forever if it wasn’t for that bunch of white people. Those recordings were not wanted by the people they recorded them for.

Isn’t there a touch of the saviour complex there though? Agree it’s great they’ve been saved by someone but to get annoyed by the Levanna thing to the extent that people are so publicly just seems futile and daft to me. And to say its cultural appropriation on the Northern soul scene feels a bit ludicrous. This stuff isn’t ours its borrowed from another culture, isn’t it? Btw, when i say robbing i’m using hyperbole, and meaning the worst excesses of the scene.  As i say  - most if it has been clearly done with love for the music and people in mind. But it’s  just one opinion. We’ve all got em as evidenced daily on here.

Edited by Corbett80
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Robbing? The majority of the recordings would have been lost forever if it wasn’t for that bunch of white people. Those recordings were not wanted by the people they recorded them for.

If I'm not mistaken, a few of the artists moved to Europe and the UK where their music was appreciated more than in the states .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Happy Feet said:

If I'm not mistaken, a few of the artists moved to Europe and the UK where their music was appreciated more than in the states .

And the other way around too. 😉 It's never as strongly mentioned or shouted about (the old versus the new continent) but anyway those who flee their motherland are not the ones we care for mostly. Well at least not musically. Or at least I'm not. And going out I don't hear them such records played out at the right venues.

On the other end I'm not sure where this tread is going but if it's all the same and / or one shouldn't feel dislike but only "love" or careless it's surely ain't my 'scene'. My records, music and all around it is about passion. And all that goes against my passion of what I love about it I despise. And so we discuss it on here.

Social source share

56 minutes ago, Chalky said:

"Those recordings were not wanted by the people they recorded them for."

Really? Of course they were wanted, there was clearly a demand and sales, just a combination of small pressing runs, poor resources, funding and promotion.

Let's face it the NS scene also 'appropriates' from other genres 🤣 that's not a criticism just a factual observation.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

13 hours ago, Corbett80 said:

There’s a pretty strong argument that Northern soul itself is cultural appropriation of the highest order. A bunch of white people robbing 45s from poor black folk, building a scene around them, copying the dancing and using black power iconography etc - the list goes on. I mean, i love it and i’m fully invested and would argue it’s all out of love, but we can’t get the hump about other people culturally appropriating cultural appropriation can we….?

Terms and words choices ; culture and economy are interlinked all through history. I'm afraid that those records were bought and not robbed per se and that white people victimizing some more black folks is... Huh ! Just not true.

Are you really going to put guilt on every purchased records ? As for 'appropriation' what about borrowed or influenced from rather than appropriated ? A dance move and / or taking an "over easy" stance for a far away social cause ?

Is all that morally 'punishable' ? I think not. Pathetic maybe. Even if that's your way of seeing it using those ideological 'filters' to me these terms are just too insidious and unhappy for one to live with love for those records if ever.

For one to have some political or social awareness of the world we live in is one thing. To make any subculture an ideological battle ground is never a good thing. Imposed ideology follows and it's despicable. We're in for the music.

Not a political struggle. What I've found at one time on top of the sounds that were my treat was an 'underground' night-life with people dedicated to that music with no dress code, age or origin discrimination nor socio-economic barriers.

As opposed to other "marginal" scenes I encountered back then full off aggro for nothing and political side suspicion that I grew tired from. And racism if you want to go there (eg. whites robbing blacks) such is not the white man's privilege. ...

Preferring to agree I guess as like you I love some of what still remain of that 'underground' (a 'discreet' not plotting cult of devotees to sounding materials outside of the authorities control scope) scene nowadays.

That have taken too much overground float for too long again and that some seems to do everything they can to keep it that way. This is where the issue lies for me. That is consumerism at the service of the rotten egos.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 3
Social source share