Jim McFarland - LONELY LOVER (Summit 1791)

6 hours ago, AnthonyReichardt said:

...Months later, Steve's friend, composer Lou Barreto, managed a deal with RPR to issue the record.

Nice. Thanks for sharing that. Lovely. Now would anyone know (or you Richard) if the take is the same or not ? Like for instance the Sunny and the Sunliners 'should I take you home' b/w 'if I could see you now' that was first released on Key-Lock is all together another take than the one released later on RPR.

Where the Gino Washington 'I'll be around' b/w 'like my baby' on Atac (distributed by RPR) features the same takes as the local Atac release but with an overkill smoothened remix and a cut-off of the "staccato" guitar never ending intro on the 'I'll be around side'...  Leaving me to wonder now on this Jim McFarland...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Sunny and the Sunliners 'should I take you home' b/w 'if I could see you now' that was first released on Teardrop is all together another take than the one released later on RPR.

They are the same takes/recordings, but the RPR release is mastered differently, sounds like it has got some reverb added to the entire recording. But vocal phrasings, the drummer accidentally hitting the rims of the toms etc are the same on both Key-Loc and RPR.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

They are the same takes/recordings, but the RPR release is mastered differently, sounds like it has got some reverb added to the entire recording. But vocal phrasings, the drummer accidentally hitting the rims of the toms etc are the same on both Key-Loc and RPR.

OK different mix/mastering jobs then. My bad. But significantly different enough for me to be noticed for tunes that I'm not that found of. For somer reasons I seem to remember them being different takes for the little attention I paid once in comparison. But this makes better sense and follows what I heard with the Gino Washington mastering/mix difference. Guess we could expect something similar with Jim McFarland...

Social source share

8 hours ago, The Tempest said:

There was also an 8” RPR acetate up for sale just before Xmas with a slightly longer cut on it - only by about 5 - 10 secs where Jim’s voice fades and the backing singers carry on 👍🏻

19 hours ago, AnthonyReichardt said:

As Benson was leaving, Davis handed him an unlabeled 8" acetate disc and told him that they weren't going to release the recording on the disc and if he wanted to do anything with the song, he was welcome to it

Would they be one and the same and possibly the pic posted by Mal C, with added written details?

Social source share

16 hours ago, Mal C said:

Here is the R.P.R acetate, think this is from Mick Holdsworth's website, can you confirm Mick? info says:

Eight inch reference acetate, scrolled to 7''. This is a slightly longer version, maybe 8/10 seconds longer, where Jimmy stops singing and the music and backing singers briefly carry on without him. The reverse is uncut and unlabelled. Light background noise, listen to soundclip.

RPR.jpg

Hi Mal, yes it was, and still is my copy, although I withdrew it from sale a few years back.

Social source share

On 04/03/2024 at 10:02, Mal C said:

Here is the R.P.R acetate, think this is from Mick Holdsworth's website, can you confirm Mick? info says:

Eight inch reference acetate, scrolled to 7''. This is a slightly longer version, maybe 8/10 seconds longer, where Jimmy stops singing and the music and backing singers briefly carry on without him. The reverse is uncut and unlabelled. Light background noise, listen to soundclip.

RPR.jpg

Apparently, both the Summit pressing of 'Lonely Lover' and Mick Holdsworth's DCT Recorders acetate disc, have the longer fade which was edited out of the RPR issue.  

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Anthony are these 45s in your possession and if so, would there be any way you could kindly post up pics of the full records themselves - not just the label -  with any runout info?

Would be very much appreciated!

Atb,

J

Edited by Corbett80
Social source share

I don't remember ever noticing those Summit records.  I DO remember seeing Mcfarland's RPR issue, during the late 1960s.  That leads me to believe they were released 1972 or later, as IF I passed them in shuffling through 45s, I didn't pay attention to them because they had a "well-into-The '70s design", representing a time when I didn't like much of them music released.  Does anyone know when the Jimmy McFarland Summit 45 was issued?  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 05/03/2024 at 15:37, Eddie Hubbard said:

I’m not sure if it was just a download ,it’s on YouTube I think 

They were indeed download and a cd too, home made.  Lou Barreto put them out.  The Gloria Jones was released on Phil Dick's label eventually.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

They were indeed download and a cd too, home made.  Lou Barreto put them out.  The Gloria Jones was released on Phil Dick's label eventually.

Do you know if they were “ from the vaults “ or recent recordings Chalky? The backing tracks sound identical to me 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Do you know if they were “ from the vaults “ or recent recordings Chalky? The backing tracks sound identical to me 

there's a fair bit of info including comments from lou himself aka @love1scent on the recording etc in this news item and the comments

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!