Beat Ballads

Guest Malc Burton

Whilst listening to a CD of beat ballads , the thought came to me that two of the first such " genre " records , were Gene McDaniels' " Walk With A Winner " , and Ray Pollard's " The Drifter " , which have been around since adam was a lad .......

What I would like to know is , what was the first accepted and recognised " beat ballad " of the " New Era " of / for NS .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Malc

Would have to add George Kirby to your original two nominations

& I may be miles out on what era etc you are reffering to

But what about George Freeman : Down & Out or Chuck Jackson : Whats with this loneliness :thumbsup:

Just trying to get the thread rolling

Social source share

Whilst listening to a CD of beat ballads , the thought came to me that two of the first such " genre " records , were Gene McDaniels' " Walk With A Winner " , and Ray Pollard's " The Drifter " , which have been around since adam was a lad .......

What I would like to know is , what was the first accepted and recognised " beat ballad " of the " New Era " of / for NS .....

Malc Burton

Malc, how about Gil Bernal - 'Poor Boy', Early Big Beater For Richard Searling,

Wigan floor clearer on first plays from memory :D

Best

M. :thumbsup:

Gil_Poor_Boy.MP3

Social source share

Who was it covered up as?

Always thought it was Big Dee Irwin "You Satisfy My Needs"

Re Beat Ballad CD's there are far few about for me, "Beat Ballad Heaven", "Beat Ballad Bliss Vol 1 & 2", "Beat Ballad Salad", anybody know of anymore Big Beat only Cd's or Cd's with these tracks on (other then the obvious?)

Social source share

Re Beat Ballad CD's there are far few about for me, "Beat Ballad Heaven", "Beat Ballad Bliss Vol 1 & 2", "Beat Ballad Salad", anybody know of anymore Big Beat only Cd's or Cd's with these tracks on (other then the obvious?)

Thread In Media done last weekend about Beat ballads, with quite a few tunes on ther to listen to?

Bully!

Edited by Bully Boy
Social source share

With regard to my original posting , I possibly should have worded it better ........

What I meant to state in respect of the first beat ballad to gain recognition in the " new era " of the NS scene , I should have posed the question " what was the first real " biggie " of the genre to gain dancefloor acceptance in the new era of the NS scene " .......

The " new era " I am referring to , is the latter days of WC with discs played by RS , and at Stafford by The Jolly Boys .......

Apologies ; I put it down to being half awake when I posted this morning .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Suppose not really new era but I always thought

Paris Blues really broke the mould at the time it was being played

Loved it then and still do

"PARIS BLUES" Yes it did break the mould, I was the very first to play this 45 in the UK, the last record of my spot at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens I decided to play it because it was wanted at the time by a top Belgium collector as one of his top-wants, and i liked it. Nobody danced for weeks, then bam! it was a monster.

It then became "fashionable" to play down-beat records as you last play. I also did the same thing with Arin Demain (then a one-off), to the same response.

I personally love beat-ballads, anyone ever heard the flipside of Charles Brandy - Can't get enough - WITHOUT YOUR LOVE - now that for me is this finest of them all.

Social source share

"PARIS BLUES" Yes it did break the mould, I was the very first to play this 45 in the UK, the last record of my spot at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens I decided to play it because it was wanted at the time by a top Belgium collector as one of his top-wants, and i liked it. Nobody danced for weeks, then bam! it was a monster.

It then became "fashionable" to play down-beat records as you last play. I also did the same thing with Arin Demain (then a one-off), to the same response.

I personally love beat-ballads, anyone ever heard the flipside of Charles Brandy - Can't get enough - WITHOUT YOUR LOVE - now that for me is this finest of them all.

Are you sure Johnny - I could have sworn this was a Mecca spin first. I seem to remember this being a Levine find which caused a bit of controversy @ the Mecca when he came back from a U.S. trip 'cos it was such an old-time beater......

Brilliant record nonetheless.

Ian D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Are you sure Johnny - I could have sworn this was a Mecca spin first. I seem to remember this being a Levine find which caused a bit of controversy @ the Mecca when he came back from a U.S. trip 'cos it was such an old-time beater......

Brilliant record nonetheless.

Ian D

Frank,

Your heads gone and your memory with it.. no, it was me and everyone hated the 45. Robert Van De Hove was the Belgium guy who wanted the 45, if I remember correctly, anything Ian Levine had previously played I would have had no problem getting the crowd to dance to it.

It took weeks and weeks to get any reaction to "Paris Blues" likewise with "Arin Demain"

At the time by the way Levine was playing "disco" and apparently "The Four Vandals". "Paris Blues" was never his style... not disco'y enough.

You got that thing, Norman Wisdom is gettin'?

I don't think either of us are in the real-world, I just thought I heard Kevin Keegan got the Newcastle United job....

John

Social source share

Magic record, was covered up by Guy.

Half these mentioned on here bit quick for beat ballads.

Hi chalky i had this as my weddin song ahhhhh :thumbsup: can you tell me what it was coverd up as or IF YOU TELL ME WILL YOU THEN HAVE TO KILL ME :)laugh.gif luv Di x

Social source share

Hi John

Have you got a sound clip of Charles Brandy.

Barry Cooper

Social source share

Malc Burton

first one that hit me between the eyes - and got me into the more slower stuff - was 'Tomorrow is another day' by Gene Stridel when the late Nev Wherry (I think, could be wrong, many a fish has passed under the bridge since then) finished a night at Inkersall Green many moons ago

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

How about Arthur Alexander I Need You Baby for me one of the best ballads ever :lol:

Played at Randy's funeral - I will always associate AA with Randy. For me, it's Hal Miller 'Blessing in Disguise'. Alan H used to play this at Capitol - just melted my heart, turned my legs to jelly and made me come over all unneccesary....and that was just Alan :lol:

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Hi John

Always loved the Arin Demain track - didn't know you were the first to play it. Where and when did you do the deed?

Thanks

Peter :lol:

Social source share

New York Soul Serenade on Kent is a good one.

Social source share

The 100 Club was probably associated with Beat Ballads as much as anyone and the one that got me on that track was Tommy Navarro, I think Guy played the first and I had the second. After that there were a lot but Johnny Maestro, Kurt Harris, Chuck's Loneliness and Millionaire, Annabelle Fox, Trends Not Too Old To Cry, were the big ones for me down there.

Social source share

Does Tommy Navarro count as a beat ballad? a lot of records mentioned are Stafford era mid-tempo rather than beat ballads.

Sam Fletcher definately one of the first real biggies for the mafia, that was accepted widely.

Faye Crawford "What Have I Done" RCA

not forgetting the old Randy faves Jerry Ganey "Just a Fool" Verve and Brooks O'dell "You Better Make Up Your Mind"-Bell

Social source share

Frank,

Your heads gone and your memory with it.. no, it was me and everyone hated the 45. Robert Van De Hove was the Belgium guy who wanted the 45, if I remember correctly, anything Ian Levine had previously played I would have had no problem getting the crowd to dance to it.

It took weeks and weeks to get any reaction to "Paris Blues" likewise with "Arin Demain"

At the time by the way Levine was playing "disco" and apparently "The Four Vandals". "Paris Blues" was never his style... not disco'y enough.

You got that thing, Norman Wisdom is gettin'?

I don't think either of us are in the real-world, I just thought I heard Kevin Keegan got the Newcastle United job....

John

Ha Ha Lol. Well I guess anything's possible but when I recently did the 4 CD series for Sony-BMG I had to re-research the whole period and I've definitely got it down as a Mecca play - I can remember Brad @ Burnley Cricket Club raving about it on the Tuesday after Saturday @ the Mecca. At that time the Mecca were still playing stormers - this was almost pre Levine's Disco phase. In fact I ran my sleeve notes past both Colin and Ian and they OK'd 'em.........

5. "Paris Blues" (2.13) - Tony Middleton

Original U.S. Label: Mala 544

An Ian Levine discovery circa 1974, "Paris Blues" was almost a throwback to the early Wheel style of Northern Soul with Tony's melodramatic vocals and the clunky 60's production. However, dated or not, the sheer atmosphere of the song makes this an absolute Mecca classic. Produced with panache by early Beatles associate Claus Ogerman.

I don't think my memories playing up that much LOL.....

Best,

Ian D :D

Social source share

And look at the track before it on the CD......

4. "Ever Again" (2.34) - Bernie Williams

Original U.S. Label: Bell 768

A complete one-off when Colin Curtis first aired this as a 'last hour' record at the Mecca circa 1974, "Ever Again" become one of the first records to be involved in a megabucks bidding war between myself and Johnny Manship with Johnny eventually winning the battle unfortunately. Whilst sounding as if it was recorded in New Orleans, it was actually a Philadelphia recording.

Now I remember that all too well LOL!

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Tony Clark-The Entertainer/Jimmy Beaumont-Both sides of the London 45/Doris Troy-Whatcha Gonna Do About it..Jimmy Radcliffe- Long After...The Drifters-The Outside World/On Broadway+In The Land Of Make believe.The Ojays-Im Gonna Make It..Barbara Lewis-Hello Stranger,Artistics-Im Gonna Miss You........The Twisted Wheel Rules

Social source share

Ha Ha Lol. Well I guess anything's possible but when I recently did the 4 CD series for Sony-BMG I had to re-research the whole period and I've definitely got it down as a Mecca play - I can remember Brad @ Burnley Cricket Club raving about it on the Tuesday after Saturday @ the Mecca. At that time the Mecca were still playing stormers - this was almost pre Levine's Disco phase. In fact I ran my sleeve notes past both Colin and Ian and they OK'd 'em.........

An Ian Levine discovery circa 1974, "Paris Blues" was almost a throwback to the early Wheel style of Northern Soul with Tony's melodramatic vocals and the clunky 60's production. However, dated or not, the sheer atmosphere of the song makes this an absolute Mecca classic. Produced with panache by early Beatles associate Claus Ogerman.

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

:D Great to see you old gets arguing and really great to see you still involved in a big way you deserve it full respect.Are you big in Albania like Norman Wisdom you're both following him. How about This is the thanks I get,I'm loosing you -Barbara Lyn , Since I found the one I love -The Impresions,The Drifter and a lot more I use to play last half hour at the Wheel. best regard Brian

Social source share

Does Tommy Navarro count as a beat ballad? a lot of records mentioned are Stafford era mid-tempo rather than beat ballads.

I always thought it was the epitome of it, admittedly it has a good dance beat but I think that's the point. I remember thinking "Great you can play this style of record now and it won't clear the floor". It's that NYC slightly Latin feel a la Drifters and Ben E King that it has. Faye Crawford is more of a pure ballad which I also loved and was refreshing to hear out.

Rod's right about Roger Banks he went for it big time and must have launched quite a few on the scene. Guy put them in as occasional spins but Roger probably played a full hour some nights!

Social source share

And look at the track before it on the CD......

4. "Ever Again" (2.34) - Bernie Williams

Original U.S. Label: Bell 768

A complete one-off when Colin Curtis first aired this as a 'last hour' record at the Mecca circa 1974, "Ever Again" become one of the first records to be involved in a megabucks bidding war between myself and Johnny Manship with Johnny eventually winning the battle unfortunately. Whilst sounding as if it was recorded in New Orleans, it was actually a Philadelphia recording.

Now I remember that all too well LOL!

Best,

Ian D

Sorry Frank, you've totally got all your years upside down, wrong way round, and who played what, or when is all over the place :D

Sorry to say your are so wrong:

Firstly Colin Curtis obtained "Ever Again" from me at the "The Ritz" All Dayer when Tavares were live! that day circa 1976-ish? I swapped it for a new discovery "Andre Gagnon - Wow" one of my fabulously stupid deals, the same day I let Ian Levine have "Cheatin ' Kind" for £3.00 another shrewd move. Neil Rushton is witness to all this in case you can't believe anyone could be so stupid.

If I remember correctly "Ever Again" was a four copy John Anderson find which most copies where snapped up by Cleethorpes DJs.

Where the hell you got 1974 and the Mecca for "Paris Blues" is beyond me. This was not a Northern Soul play @ that time but was on many Belgium "popcorn" wants lists @ the time. I acquire a copy from the amazing stock of Al Pavlo in 1976 to sell to Robert Van De Hove of Gent.

Paris Blues was after the Pier period, it was a Winter Gardens spin, and it was my "last Record" cause I knew nobody would dance to it. At the time the "Levine Must Go" campaign was on and Levine was upsetting Sam by playing he own made music, disco & 70s.

As for this fairy-tale-land about "Paris Blues" being ideal Mecca fodder, I was a regular in '74, it certainly was not ideal Mecca spin and I'd never heard of the record until Robert De Hove turned me on to it.

You can't "disappear" for two decades then come back and dictate history as you remember it. As far as I'm concerned it was my last record to any empty floor..and I certainly was not emulating Levine or anything he played at the time.

Maybe botox affects the memory, maybe I'm totally and absolutely wrong, maybe Levine played Arin Demain in the same set as "Four Vandals" and maybe "Larry Clinton" was first played by Richard Searling and not Soul Sam.

Please do not try and tell me what I was playing and when and what was "new" and what was. I was rather proud of the fact that "Paris Blues" actually "took off" and is now a classic now your saying Ian Levine was playing it before... I'm mortified ohmy.gif

Between you and the Top 500 book Northern Soul history will be re-written and I won't be in it.... unsure.gif

Please let me have "The Paris Blues" kudos... I think this went on with Charles Darwin and his mates, on who found what monkey first.. didn't it?

PS the bidding war record you mentioned was "Prince George - "The Wrong Crowd" which was of course a Colin Curtis & Blackpool Mecca exclusive at the time.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

:D Great to see you old gets arguing and really great to see you still involved in a big way you deserve it full respect.Are you big in Albania like Norman Wisdom you're both following him. How about This is the thanks I get,I'm loosing you -Barbara Lyn , Since I found the one I love -The Impresions,The Drifter and a lot more I use to play last half hour at the Wheel. best regard Brian

ohmy.gif Meant lost not found on the impressions track, also a few more I can't work no longer- Billy Butler,I'll keep on trying-Walter Jackson,Poverty amd Your worth it all-Bobby Bland played at the same time.

regard Brian

Social source share

Best,

Ian D :D

Are you sure about this , Young Foggy ? ........

I was a regular at The Mecca at the time you state the record was played , but I cannot remember - I know at my age my memory is not what it was - IL bringing this to our attention , as one of his " discoveries " .......

Your recall , I am sad to say my dear chap , appears to be clouded by too many years living " darn sarf " :D .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Sorry Frank, you've totally got all your years upside down, wrong way round, and who played what, or when is all over the place :D

Sorry to say your are so wrong:

Firstly Colin Curtis obtained "Ever Again" from me at the "The Ritz" All Dayer when Tavares were live! that day circa 1976-ish? I swapped it for a new discovery "Andre Gagnon - Wow" one of my fabulously stupid deals, the same day I let Ian Levine have "Cheatin ' Kind" for £3.00 another shrewd move. Neil Rushton is witness to all this in case you can't believe anyone could be so stupid.

If I remember correctly "Ever Again" was a four copy John Anderson find which most copies where snapped up by Cleethorpes DJs.

Where the hell you got 1974 and the Mecca for "Paris Blues" is beyond me. This was not a Northern Soul play @ that time but was on many Belgium "popcorn" wants lists @ the time. I acquire a copy from the amazing stock of Al Pavlo in 1976 to sell to Robert Van De Hove of Gent.

Paris Blues was after the Pier period, it was a Winter Gardens spin, and it was my "last Record" cause I knew nobody would dance to it. At the time the "Levine Must Go" campaign was on and Levine was upsetting Sam by playing he own made music, disco & 70s.

As for this fairy-tale-land about "Paris Blues" being ideal Mecca fodder, I was a regular in '74, it certainly was not ideal Mecca spin and I'd never heard of the record until Robert De Hove turned me on to it.

You can't "disappear" for two decades then come back and dictate history as you remember it. As far as I'm concerned it was my last record to any empty floor..and I certainly was not emulating Levine or anything he played at the time.

Maybe botox affects the memory, maybe I'm totally and absolutely wrong, maybe Levine played Arin Demain in the same set as "Four Vandals" and maybe "Larry Clinton" was first played by Richard Searling and not Soul Sam.

Please do not try and tell me what I was playing and when and what was "new" and what was. I was rather proud of the fact that "Paris Blues" actually "took off" and is now a classic now your saying Ian Levine was playing it before... I'm mortified :shhh:

Between you and the Top 500 book Northern Soul history will be re-written and I won't be in it.... :D

Please let me have "The Paris Blues" kudos... I think this went on with Charles Darwin and his mates, on who found what monkey first.. didn't it?

PS the bidding war record you mentioned was "Prince George - "The Wrong Crowd" which was of course a Colin Curtis & Blackpool Mecca exclusive at the time.

You seem pretty clear on your history John - so out of interest just when you first play Arin Demain? Or don't you want to tell!

:P

Social source share

Tony Clark-The Entertainer/Jimmy Beaumont-Both sides of the London 45/Doris Troy-Whatcha Gonna Do About it..Jimmy Radcliffe- Long After...The Drifters-The Outside World/On Broadway+In The Land Of Make believe.The Ojays-Im Gonna Make It..Barbara Lewis-Hello Stranger,Artistics-Im Gonna Miss You........The Twisted Wheel Rules

When were they played at the Twisted Wheel? Several of them were played in London Mod clubs at the time of issue, 64 onwards. As far as I remember Jimmy Radcliffe was the last record played at the Royal ballroom, Tottenham, on Thursday nights, reckoned to be the best night.

I adore the beat ballad style, so emotional. How about Prince Harold's Forget About Me? Hadn't heard that since 66 or 67 till a nice person did me a CD with it on.

Others that spring to mind as I type this are Lenny Welch's Run To My Loving Arms and Little Anthony & The Imperials' Lost Without You. Both covered by Billy Fury in the UK and were hits.

I've got a CD of Little Anthony made up of 2 of his LPs, Goin' Out Of My Head/Payin' Our Dues, got lots of beat ballads on it.

And funnily enough, just received the Dreamlovers' You Gave Me Somebody To Love this morning. Pure bliss.

Going to the triple birthday bash in Letchworth, and then Boomerang tomorrow, any DJs reading this please play a beat ballad or 2 for me please.

Social source share

When were they played at the Twisted Wheel? Several of them were played in London Mod clubs at the time of issue, 64 onwards. As far as I remember Jimmy Radcliffe was the last record played at the Royal ballroom, Tottenham, on Thursday nights, reckoned to be the best night.

I adore the beat ballad style, so emotional. How about Prince Harold's Forget About Me? Hadn't heard that since 66 or 67 till a nice person did me a CD with it on.

Others that spring to mind as I type this are Lenny Welch's Run To My Loving Arms and Little Anthony & The Imperials' Lost Without You. Both covered by Billy Fury in the UK and were hits.

I've got a CD of Little Anthony made up of 2 of his LPs, Goin' Out Of My Head/Payin' Our Dues, got lots of beat ballads on it.

And funnily enough, just received the Dreamlovers' You Gave Me Somebody To Love this morning. Pure bliss.

Going to the triple birthday bash in Letchworth, and then Boomerang tomorrow, any DJs reading this please play a beat ballad or 2 for me please.

Geoff you got so much knowledge in your head about that London scene in the 60s, you ever thought about writing about it? I find the fact that Jimmy Radcliffe was played as a new release in Tottenham on Thursday nights amazing! Perhaps I shouldn't find it amazing, but you should write an article or two about it all, it would be a fascinating read and serve as a more accurate reflection of what the scene was actually like "before northern was invented" than the garbage I read and hear regularly from talking heads that weren't even a twinkle in their father's eye in the mid 60s. :lol: GO FOR IT Kiddo! :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert