Clapping?

Simsy

Clapping?  

1. 1. Miss it? Grown out of it?

• I miss clapping and would like to see it's return
    • Clapping is a bit naff these days, we've moved on
    • Not really too fussed either way

Everybody is each to there own but personally I think clapping to certain records show`s a sign of respect to the dj & releases that buzzing excitement you've got inside when clapping during the record hence hearing ginger playing a pied piper acetate recently at an local allnighter the sheer excitement I had inside for some think i didn't knew that existed thinking I must get out more  :thumbsup:

Edited by WheelCity45
Social source share

No it wasn't......clapping was to punctuate and emphasize certain records at certain parts of the tune.....that's how it was......dunno what went on after 1977 at clubs.

But why clap after every record?

Did the crowd boo if they didn't like the chosen disc.

A bit like beer towels.....a Rocker/ greebo thing

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've enjoyed reading back over this thread, possibly a good argument for not deleting old threads. I agree with some of the older posts about the sheer buzz generated by 500 plus on the dance floor all clapping in unison. Tends to be very sporadic these days, and I think less is more.

Social source share

I've enjoyed reading back over this thread, possibly a good argument for not deleting old threads. I agree with some of the older posts about the sheer buzz generated by 500 plus on the dance floor all clapping in unison. Tends to be very sporadic these days, and I think less is more.

deleting threads has never been up for consideration

the closing of old ones has been talked about here

cheers

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm an occasional clapper and think it adds to the overall atmosphere of a night, brings a feeling of togetherness.One memory that has stayed with me for many a year is the reaction of the members of Tavares at the Ritz All Dayer when they were singing Don't Take Away The Music and the whole room raised its collective arms and clapped in perfect unison, something of a stunned double take.

Edited by Twoshoes
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm an occasional clapper and think it adds to the overall atmosphere of a night, brings a feeling of togetherness.One memory that has stayed with me for many a year is the reaction of the members of Tavares at the Ritz All Dayer when they were singing Don't Take Away The Music and the whole room raised its collective arms and clapped in perfect unison, something of a stunned double take.

Yes remember that all dayer.

Social source share

Went to that one too....wasn't so enthusiastic about Tavares personally though, (or Evelyn Thomas/ Barbara Pennington either)....wanted to hear Northern and couldn't wait for them to get off!!

Each to his own though :thumbsup:  

Social source share

Best memory for me was Lester Tipton at Notts Palais Dayers. Still do it now, to new sounds as well and don't even think about it; it just happens on certain beats.

Social source share

Hi Alan

I think that the rogue clapper may have been my mate Bruce.

On many occasions whether clapping to northern soul or at the Sub Club to house, he went off on weird time signatures with his claps.

Probably in his befuddled brain it sounded like music, to us it was just an embarrasment.

Nick.

Or maybe he was clapping out of sync to everyone else for a laugh? I've seen that happen....brave but funny! :D  

Was amazing the first time seeing / hearing the clapping in unison - Especially the 'one off' clap at the right place in a record by nearly everyone - Fantastic.

Oh, I voted 'Not really too fussed either way' as that was 'of a time', and happened naturally - Nowadays 'clap' is there but not as it was which is fine.           

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - I've just noticed I've replied to a post from 1st July 2010......not sure it really matters or not though (I missed this thread that's all)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Awful tunes ( to my ears nowadays) like The Jewels WGT and The Outsiders ( Detroit Shakers c/u) had the best silent clapping breaks in them. Even today when I rarely hear them,  I find myself  anticipating the break and hitting the claps right on the beat... No one around me seems to notice or care. I guess you had to be there :)  

Social source share

Always a clapper

It's an age thing, and an era thing.  When your out and about and a particular tune comes on and of the 30/40/50 etc or so people on the floor perhaps 6 or 7 will clap perfectly to the offbeat of a not played very often tune you get that mtual smile and nod that means "you were there...back in the day etc."

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Kids of today, they just don't know how to do it - or even care about it. When you got 500 people clapping on the offbeat, it was incredible. I used to love clapping, doing it and listening to it, even now when I hear those old Wigan tapes, the clapping makes the hair stand up.

My First time @ Wigan stood on balcony I'm gonna change was playing never forget the whole packed dance floor clapping in unison what an experience !

I still clap when dancing great if others join in if not I probs look a bit of a div ;)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Now then - Clapping .

I dont mind the "Acknowledgement - "Clapping" at the end of a "Great/Classic/Brilliant track !

There are some records played where the majority on the dance floor will clap at a certain point

in the track.

HOWEVER :

Random clapping throughout the entire evening - WHATS THAT ABOUT ?? - STOP IT !

Just searching for the thread - BALL ROOM DANCING / WEARING SHORTS - STOP THAT AS WELL !

If there are promoters reading this ,you have security/Door staff - Can you include removal

from the premises of

"The random/habitual clapper - ( Sec 5 / Public order offence - Citizens arrest

The ballroom dancers ( Identified Number on the back of the long jacket - Usually had lessons /thought it might be a great idea to show us all - ) N O ! - R E A D the flyer - I blame Bruce Forsyth - Outrageous",)

Anyone wearing shorts ! - Put them back in the suitcase - Only 6 months from your holidays

P.S: Friday night - Happy clapper - You know who you are - Sit some distance from me next month -

N O V I C E ! - Ive Gone deaf - Left ear

Edited by ninja
Social source share

Dum Dum a Dum Dum a dum du du du dum...is Wanted And Needed.How did the leather riding glove boys clap with a glove on.Love a bit of clapping but with all of this x over and midtempo there's no breaks.The Kings Hall Stoke should be full of clappers but there's no sign of it.KTF ..mmmmm B.B.T.C ...

Can someone do a definative list of clapping songs ? I'll play 5 on a trot at my next spot as a social experiment.Doulle Cookin has to be number one in any clapping list.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest kev such

At an event a while back that me and Karen took her brother and his Mrs too, their first. Duke Browner was being spun at one point and the whole room ( just about) clapped in beautiful unison at the known moment. Karens Sister-in-Law was gob smacked, turned to us and just said "thats amazing, I'd never witnessed anything like that before". She then turned back towards the floor and the crowd clapped again in time as one and she turned back to us and said "How do they know?". The crowd then clapped at the end of the tune, not the spot, the tune. She asked if the guy had finished his spot and said "is that because they are happy with what he's played for them"? I said "In a nutshell"

Kev ( Dont do modern) Such.

Social source share

I think if the truth be known most of the Northernsoul scene is now made up of born again fibbers who wouldn't know where to clap if their lives depended on it!

Can any one remember the chap at Bradford who used to clap louder than humanly possible, I think it was like his super power or some thing? We used to call him "The phantom clapper", he would clap behind you making you quite startle as it sounded like a bleedin gun bien fired!

Thinking the Phantom Clapper has risen - Stockport last Friday night !! - Kin nightmare

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Backdrop

Hello everybody.

I'm intrigued;

If we had had internet and social media "in those days"  I'm sure  this would never have been a topic

Clapping was and is part of dancincing .. as you got into the scene you was swollowed up by an atmosphere that was awesome!!

Its like you leg movement ..you dont think about if its my left leg i stick out now or is my right leg .. it just happens.

When you  get on the dance floor and that record/sound becomes your own personal enjoyment.. and that enjoyment  that starts in your ears .. makes its way to your brain ..from there  sends signals to the hairs in your neck  .. sends signals through your whole body including feet and hands ...makes your heart beat faster ... makes it feel like you never want it to end... subconciously connects you to other clappers...  its AWESOME!!!!!

Why an issue .. who cares .. if people are enjoying themselves and most of all enjoying the record, what difference does it make if you clap or dont clap. 

come on lets get real .. havent got time to worry about who claps and who doesnt .

I would worry about the people standing around criticing ... and not enjoying themselves as much as they could be doing.

KTF Backdrop

Social source share

Hello everybody.

I'm intrigued;

If we had had internet and social media "in those days"  I'm sure  this would never have been a topic

Clapping was and is part of dancincing .. as you got into the scene you was swollowed up by an atmosphere that was awesome!!

Its like you leg movement ..you dont think about if its my left leg i stick out now or is my right leg .. it just happens.

When you  get on the dance floor and that record/sound becomes your own personal enjoyment.. and that enjoyment  that starts in your ears .. makes its way to your brain ..from there  sends signals to the hairs in your neck  .. sends signals through your whole body including feet and hands ...makes your heart beat faster ... makes it feel like you never want it to end... subconciously connects you to other clappers...  its AWESOME!!!!!

Why an issue .. who cares .. if people are enjoying themselves and most of all enjoying the record, what difference does it make if you clap or dont clap. 

come on lets get real .. havent got time to worry about who claps and who doesnt .

I would worry about the people standing around criticing ... and not enjoying themselves as much as they could be doing.

KTF Backdrop

I don't think anyone's making it an issue, it's just a point of discussion that's all - A unique subject matter I'll grant you though!  :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!