Strangest Artist To Have A Northern Record

Guest Mark G

Ral Donner..... sheeesh.... a second division Elvis impersonator. And on the same tip, Charlie Romans - 24 Hour Service..... uh huh huh... thank you very much... I've left the building.... huh.gif

Social source share

how about these few although their connection to northern maybe somewhat loose,popcorn etc

matt monroe- honoy on the vine

nat king cole- to the bitter end, calyso blues

johnny mathis- come back

also there is a harry nillson one, cant remember the title

loads of bobby goldbros

the odd tina charles

the odd steve brookstien

emma rede, who was jackie lee, who sang rupert the bear....

Social source share

My 2nd nomination must go to none other than Mickey Moonshine.

Turns out he can morph himself into Alvin Stardust, Chris Rainbow, Ben Cross, 3 blokes called Paul, Michael & Curtis, Paul Nicholas & some fellow who can run very fast & we still don't know who he is.

Now thats pretty strange to me :thumbsup::wub:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Susan Maughan did a version of That other place the reason i think she's strange is because i've got the album for sale and someone had a look at the sleeve and said She looked strangeall the best Sy.

Social source share

I met Anita Harris on a train last year and was frothing at the mouth to her about her version of " The Clapping Song" - if you haven't heard it - it's a really oomphy big band version and deserves to be better known. She was such a sweetheart and a complete pro - she whipped out a photo of herself and signed it for me. I've got a copy of "The Playground" and it's pretty decent but...ya gotta hear "London Life" - a jazzy, moddy, beat ballad - sorry, that doesn't do it justice but seek it out...

Social source share

Thanks Guys, some really interesting stuff.

To clarify, by "Strange" I was refering to artists like Ed Bruce who were famous in other genres but have a killer (or maybe not so killer!) Northern 45 which is at odds with what they are well known for.

Keep `em coming!

Chris

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mark G

Peters and Lee did a whopping version of Comin' Home Baby too, think it was an album only track?? He actually had quite a good voice old Lenny....

Edited by Mark G
Social source share

Always thought this was a bit strange. The ex drummer for the Shadows with Chase Side Shoot Up from 74.Jack Wardle from Middlesbrough told me he was selling this as a cover up for ages and was a big sound at one point.Brian Bennett was massively into Library session work for KPM,Bruton etc .My mind has it set as the golf theme but it looks as though that started in 1980.

Ditto Mike Vickers and On The Brink.Mike Vickers being the saxophonist and flute player in Manfred Mann.He moved massively into session work and TV work....Captain Scarlet,Please Sir etc

Can confirm this - Jack even got one of the Wigan dj's to play it covered up as the Checkerboard Squares or some such nonsense - as everyone knows Jack was a master scam merchant (as one of the scenes biggest promoters will confirm yes.gif). I went straight down to Alan Fearnleys and got a copy in case ! still have it.

Social source share

- I Can't Get Through. I love this record. Genuinely.

So do I, was on one of my podcasts last year, actually got asked to put it on another one about 2 weeks back after I deleted the first.

Dunno if I'd class it as Northern though, it is quite beat-ballardish I suppose.

Great record.

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Dora Hall, aged grandmother whose millionaire husband, Leo Hulseman, financed her narcisist recording "career" from profits from his Solo Cup Company (water cooler cups).  She sang mostly re-makes other legitimate stars' hits. 

Margaret Whiting was a very poppish 1940s Pop singer who had a NS hit with a song she recorded in the mid 1960s.

I wouldn't term Little Lisa a Soul artist, despite her singing over

But, then, quite a bit of so-called Northern Soul was never considered Soul Music by me.

some Motown backgrounds.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I met Anita Harris on a train last year and was frothing at the mouth to her about her version of " The Clapping Song" - if you haven't heard it - it's a really oomphy big band version and deserves to be better known. She was such a sweetheart and a complete pro - she whipped out a photo of herself and signed it for me. I've got a copy of "The Playground" and it's pretty decent but...ya gotta hear "London Life" - a jazzy, moddy, beat ballad - sorry, that doesn't do it justice but seek it out...

The best tune by Anita and out and out Northern is 'Something Must Be Done' on Pye. 

'London Life' is featured on a Marble Arch cheapo L.P as is 'Something Must Be Done'. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I read, or heard, or something  that Angels One Five-Toody had been played--anyway picked one up at a Carboot, worst 25p ever spent..

Not so much strange, as out and out f*cking shyte...

Yeah, 'tis true I'm afraid!

Great name but I bet they look like the Bay City Rollers!

Social source share

I read, or heard, or something  that Angels One Five-Toody had been played--anyway picked one up at a Carboot, worst 25p ever spent..

Not so much strange, as out and out f*cking shyte...

My sister was given a tape back in about 74 with loads of top tunes of the day on it. One track was Toody, which I'd never heard at Wigan or anywhere at the time. Not long after I found about 4 mint Pye copies in a junk shop. Could I get rid of them? could I hell. Can't remember what I did with them, I probably buried them in one of those time capsules as a warning to future generations.

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!