Playlists, Or The Lack Of Them

Roddy and Spacehopper,agree with both sentiments.A lose lose situation.

Sometimes the promoter leaves it to the dj to decide whether to post or not.And yes playists can be picked thru,but some folks like an idea of the type of stuff being played before venturing on a 2 hour journey.

Social source share

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH RODDY,GENERALLY PEOPLE KNOW WHAT KIND OF STUFF YOU PLAY,NEVER REALLY SEE THE BENIFIT OF PLAYLISTS,AS IN ONE PARTICULAR CASE,SOMEONE POSTED A PLAYLIST UP,THEN AT A VENUE THEY WERE BOOKED,THE FORMER D.J. WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO PLAY 65% OF THEIR SET,NOT A PROBLEM REALLY,JUST MEANT THEY HAD TO DIG A LITTLE DEEPER INTO THE BOX,JUST SHOWS HOW SMALL MINDED SOME PEOPLE ARE.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I do it occasionally for That Driving Beat, usually when a few people ask. It's up to dj's if they wanna post though, no pressure. And it is just occasionally, not every time.

I can see the pro's and cons, and agree with all that's been said so far.

I've started to do a 'record countdown' on our Facebook events recently which are current spins of the residents and give a flavour of music policy at the event for those not in the know or contemplating coming for the first time

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Think it`s a good thing,

Especially for those who cant make it,They can catch up on what they missed...

Keeps me informed about what's Upfront & current...

Shows a clear view of the venues music policy...

Totally agree, with peoples liesure time so precious these days, especially those with families, you need to be clear about your choice of venue, I can vouch for the guys who do The Sunday Chillout at Doncaster, we travel regularly now as a result of them posting their brilliant playlists.

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

maybe people dont want other djs searchin through lists to pick up tunes that they are playin?....

dean

gotta be spot on fella.......some venues get slagged off by all and sundry (who never set foot in em)....BUT they wanna know whats being played, oh!!..you bet they do.............if ya wanna know GO!!!.....of course it still don,t work if ya don,t like what they play......then ya buggered!!!!

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I know a few who won't post a playlist simply because of the above. They feel they are simply doing the hard work for those too lazy to look for records and to support the DJs and venues the lists are from.

Cross referencing the other thread really Chalky where the topic turned to people who have no minds of their own when it comes to records, ain,t really soul fans and have to wait until so and so plays or says a records good, I think its probably common knowledge who pinch sounds from other people and theres plenty of them about

Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I don't post my playlist's up because all my records are crap :P

I don't post playliss up cos everyone would know I've nicked most my plays from others play lists

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

This day and age if your gonna contemplate going somewhere new ,assuming its not on your doorstep ,it's crucial to know what kind of music is on offer .

Petrol costs for starters and the fact there is so much diversity in the music .

Obviously if your going out for a social gathering and only wanna hear the played out sound ,then this of course doesn't concern you ;)

But for those of us that do care ...playlists please :)

P.s

The issue of being worried about people searching for your tunes ..if its rare ,it's hard to find ,if it's not then its inevitable your not gonna stop people getting em ,and to be fair ,you'll have enough people at your venue searching for it :)

Can,t disagree more....a playlist tells you nowt about the night......as long as you clearly state the music policy and then employ dj,s who not only play that music, they love doing so......and on the night the promoter keeps their eyes and ears open to make sure that the policy is kept too......this IS enough to tell you all you need to know.....it only goes wrong when dj,s are hired who never attend said club and play a set that is completely at odds with all the other dj,s....as has happened at my fav venue on a couple of occasions....and boy wasn,t it marked...really upset the night.........Lastly l go to venues that good pals of mine rave about,that people who's opinion l respect tell me ..".this'll be right up your street ect ect " for instance "empty bottles"......a playlist can,t do this :thumbsup::D atb tezza

Social source share

i love reading playlists either after events or from events i dont go to, great interesting stuff, but in reality its down to the night in question, i can remember years ago at a nighter in blackburn in the middle of a "cutting edge" someone playing afternoon of the rhino and coloured man, awesome !!

also playlists have opened my eyes to some stuff i would never thought of looking at, like manhattans lp tracks youve had for years and never played

Social source share

When in chin stroking anorak wearer mode, I really like them. As people have said, it can get you searching for new stuff and looking back into your collection.

It's a good way of showcasing your set to people who were unable to attend the venue you played. It might even get you some groupies.

I'd rather have these posts/threads than ones like what was the best bacon sandwich you had on your way home from Wigan.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it's a tricky one, I used to and the reason I don't is purely because a. i'm bone idle and b. i doubt anyone cared with the kind of place i run :) ...

also a few years ago i joined with another club to produce a CD called " The basics of flipside" and it was quite popular to a point where a couple of well known DJ's on our scene admitted looking for and buying every track on it they could find (there was a couple of one off they couldn't get), I shouldn't have been surprised but I was a little annoyed

Social source share

When in chin stroking anorak wearer mode, I really like them. As people have said, it can get you searching for new stiff and looking back into your collection.

It's a good way of showcasing your set to people who were unable to attend the venue you played. It might even get you some groupies.

I'd rather have these posts/threads than ones like what was the best bacon sandwich you had on your way home from Wigan.

:lol:
Social source share

Sadly John, if you came up from London on the train that would be a very short lived thread, since there was nowhere open at the station, the train buffet was invariably closed etc. and the best you could do was jump off at Crewe and try and get one, and back on the train before it departed - way too risky!

Back to playlists then.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally, I like to see playlists where the guy or gals doing the spinning are thinking outside of the box, places like the aforementioned Sunday Chillout in Doncaster, off the top of my head Tommy Turner "I,ll be gone" on Elbam, the dancefloor ain,t king here so as a result theres no pressure on the DJ and as a result he opens out more musically, point being we lads from the NE would never have stumbled on this gem of a do without the playlists on here

Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i agree with having playlists ,surely the days of cover ups have gone ,also how many have bought a record

that they have seen on a playlist (sat pumping them into you tube if not known ) i know i do on a regular

basis ,but that also gives me no excuse for publishing mine after the next City Centre soul night at the Black Lion

Salford 23/06

Social source share

I'll do it if a promoter asks me to.

I'm one that has in the past been accused of 'Dick Waving' not that I have much to do that with (Records wise before you lot start :wicked: )

and a three month exchange with a guy who badgered me and badgered me for my copy of Richard Marks which I wasn't willing to let go.

Play lists only tell part of the story and for me are not necessarily a good indicator of what I would play at a different venue. So I wouldn't want someone reading a playlist of mine and thinking they've got me pegged so to speak.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

We've all realised in life that there is always a exception to every rule ...and congratulations Tezza .you truly are one of them !

Glad to be of help..........remember good old word of mouth will tell you of the venues that you'll (and dislike lol).....going to a soul night or niter is about have a bloody good time out....yes we wanna hear new stuff as well as interesting stuff you may already know,but in the context of a night out.........if all you go out for is always just to hear a new record....ya might as well not bother atb tezza :)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I like reading them, but from a promotional point of view it doesnt matter....I read some where recently that a venue was ill attended because the playlists scared the punters away cos they didnt know any of them...to me, thats the point & I would be more inclined to attend if I didnt know what was being played.....its a sad state of affairs, but unfortunately on the whole most punters want to be spoon fed the same records, preferably on thier doorstep, its soooo sad, a once vibrant & exciting scene based on newly discovered records has come to this....& now some newly appointed NS expert will tell me i'm talking bollox, not only that, they will brow beat you continuously until you think f*ck it, why bother....every thing we held dear is now used as a weapon or a form of abuse against the few left that actually care about the original ethos.....so playlists, nice to read, but thats about it.....

Russ

Agree with you Russ with one proviso (is that right ?lol) hearing new stuff is great ,but sadly some still don,t understand it really has to be mixed in with known stuff to give it a chance to appeal to new ears....one set after another of unknown and semi unknown ...kills it dead...they need to be threaded in with good interesting already known (in varying degrees to varying folk) stuff...in a music policy wether it be uptempo 60's.crossover,70's, r&b or modern....only then does it have a chance.....unless of course we have a few mates round to hear it in the back room.....because thats where it,s destined otherwise tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I like reading them, but from a promotional point of view it doesnt matter....altho I read some where recently that a venue was ill attended because the playlists scared the punters away cos they didnt know any of them...to me, thats the point & I would be more inclined to attend if I didnt know what was being played.....its a sad state of affairs, but unfortunately on the whole most punters want to be spoon fed the same records, preferably on thier doorstep, its soooo sad, a once vibrant & exciting scene based on newly discovered records has come to this....& now some newly appointed NS expert will tell me i'm talking bollox, not only that, they will brow beat you continuously until you think f*ck it, why bother....every thing we held dear is now used as a weapon or a form of abuse against the few left that actually care about the original ethos.....so playlists, nice to read, but thats about it.....

Russ

The original ethos, you mean wearing skirt width trousers, assorted other clown garments and dancing to the well established top 500 records ( pref of 2nd issue's we dont want toy damage those precious originals, YEAH RIGHT!) in plastic venue nearby. Oh and you gotta have loads of talc. havent you

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Glad to be of help..........remember good old word of mouth will tell you of the venues that you'll (and dislike lol).....going to a soul night or niter is about have a bloody good time out....yes we wanna hear new stuff as well as interesting stuff you may already know,but in the context of a night out.........if all you go out for is always just to hear a new record....ya might as well not bother atb tezza :)

To be fair Tezza ,I was actually generalising about using the playlist as a guide to what venue I wanna attend .

Loosely translated ,if it's a venue that plays Prefominently RnB ,too much cross over modern ,mainly funk ,it's nice to know before you end up in a place that's playing stuff you don't much care for .

I'm not talking about dissecting someone's full playlist and only going cos he plays a tune or two I like ,but the type of sounds I like .

If I see a playlist and it's full on uptempo bangin 60's all nighter sounds ,it's just as off putting as all night modern /funk etc etc .

Kev talks about the horse and groom chill out sessions and how the playlists have helped in making the decision to get down there .

The playlists give a insight into the standard of music ,just as Grumpy soul does ..but it might not appeal to everyone .

We should also appreciate how playlists can be helpful to a promoter too ..after all it is a good form of promoting itself .

Despite the long winded reply ,Joans reply sums it up much better :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sorry, not read previous posts so i may be totally out of order. As far as I'm concerned, if I have something that will fill the floor, if it is something in vogue or if it's something worthy of a play it goes on the list. The list will vary from venue to venue. It depends on my mood and the crowd on the night. Basically, if you are a DJ, there is no such thing as a play list. You should have enough of a variant to accommodate what is required throughout the night unless the music is specified. The be all and end all is that "what does a playlist mean".... It means a good night if people are intersted in what was aired. Keep them guessing... get them back. If they don't know what it is they are more than likely new or returnees to the scene... and thats how you get them back. What was that that so and so played... where is he DJ'ing again, where can I see him again. Who else will play that. ???? Take you back to the heyday?... I hope so. That's how it is. Northern Soul as a fresh sound is still out there for many, it may have become stale for the few and it may be non existent for those who now rely on the internet, something not uncommon nowadays. It is and never has been a retro scene. It continues to move forward... even though there are those who simply wish to drag it back in time. Let the music move on, let the fashion be fancy dress and let the scene continue in it's fit cause.

Steve :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

To be fair Tezza ,I was actually generalising about using the playlist as a guide to what venue I wanna attend .

Loosely translated ,if it's a venue that plays Prefominently RnB ,too much cross over modern ,mainly funk ,it's nice to know before you end up in a place that's playing stuff you don't much care for .

I'm not talking about dissecting someone's full playlist and only going cos he plays a tune or two I like ,but the type of sounds I like .

If I see a playlist and it's full on uptempo bangin 60's all nighter sounds ,it's just as off putting as all night modern /funk etc etc .

Kev talks about the horse and groom chill out sessions and how the playlists have helped in making the decision to get down there .

The playlists give a insight into the standard of music ,just as Grumpy soul does ..but it might not appeal to everyone .

We should also appreciate how playlists can be helpful to a promoter too ..after all it is a good form of promoting itself .

Despite the long winded reply ,Joans reply sums it up much better :)

:thumbsup:
Social source share

I would think that in this day and age most of us know what any one DJ is known to play and the policy of most venues so I doubt a playlist in the grand scheme of things is going to make much difference.

For once I have to agree with Terry, both his posts!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I can remember a time when DJ's all had imagination and sought out a different set to everyone else.

Well l see where ya coming from,but today l like a venue a bit like a swimming race...either 100 metres crawl....or 400 metres butterfly or 1500 metres backstroke. If we use each of these as a different musical genre......ie r&b, uptempo or crossover ect ect.....thats why 100% big oldies doos are so popular (for some).......but the rest wanna give us 800 metre fookin medley lol....thats why we get these eclectic bore ya pants off playlists lol....atb t

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!