Frederick Hymes On Fab Vegas

rare soul sales and record fair are my recommendations. r&b selling group as well if that suits your taste. with hassle free does come the odd bargain but 90 % is at least to me of no interest. plus you get people in hassle free who just wont understand that it is much more useful to put up one sales list instead of posting up to over 30 + single sales posts a day which can easily get on your nerves and fills up your message board immensly LOL

its a good thing to have at least one area of chaos i reckon in a world of rules rules rules.

its amusing that some people get so badly irritated about flicking through piles of s+++ to get to a few nice bits without even leaving home these days. we have become impatient and pampered. Your irritation seems mild and humorous, Marc. Some people really really spit bile about it as if it doesn't have an off button. Odd i think.

if there is a problem with FB its just that its got most of the posts already from here on it so you end up seeing it again just in another 3 separate groups.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the problem i see with the hassle free on facebook is that there seems to be a lot of members on the page now selling different genre`s of music and things dissapear down the page very quickly. it was a great idea to start with and its probably got too big now...i still have a look but never see anythin to get excited about

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve Green's copy is the one listed on Facebook in Rare Soul Sales, and it's been reduced to £250, which is cheap IMO for one in EX condition

The question is is it an original or a reissue?

Quote from a person who put it on youtube:

As far as I know...This is a promotional issue that Frederick Hymes III used to sell at his live gig's and was not an release that was distributed by any record labels therefore very limited in numbers.

Re-released on a yellower label with faded print some years later but taken from the same original stampers which was obtained from Frederick Hymes himself! So I'm guessing that there are no boots as such but just 2nd issue's.of this monsterous piece of Northern Soul crossover. F*ckin' amazing tune IMO

Social source share

1st issue is more orangey coloured than the 2nd.

i dont believe anyone had a copy of this before 1998 anyway.. i think thats when they were pressed only the tony hymes ballad existed before..i had the first copy that henry had in my hands and every one i seen looks the the same,,if you look on popsike the guy that had them in bulk from the states his copies do appear to be lighter in colour but that could just be camera light etc....but in the flesh i just dont know.. :g:

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Hi Dave, some people say their copy is different to mine (which came from Nev I think). Mine is exactly the same as the one Sam had years ago when we lined it up with a more yellowy one at Cleethorpes and compared them (and they were differentP. Nothing will convince me that there is only one press of this 45. When they were done anyone's guess.....but Sam and arthur who had it pretty early on thought the orangey one was the original. John A also said the orangey one was the original and the yellowy ones were repress.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Never seen the supposed 2nd issue but was told a few yrs back that it's thinner than the 1st copy and if you hold it in front of a lamp ,you can actually see light through the vinyl ?

But on price ..I think in 2012 you'll be bloody lucky to get one for less than £200 on a set sale !

Getting lucky on eBay is a totally different story ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

It's like 'Groundhog Day' on here at times..LOL..How many times have we covered this topic :D ...Well i dug my copy out yet again...it's more orange than yellow, i've held in front of a thousand watt bulb and can't see a bloody thing through the vinyl or anything for that matter now..Cheers Nev for that tip.

Social source share

Brett ..I agree mate ,done and dusted the whole Frederick hymes story on here ..like I said ,never seen the so called 2nd copy myself ..

Sold my copy when I got the Tonny Hymes version ,would have loved to played em back to back and been clever enough to edit em together ..but I'm not ,so that's that :)

Social source share

Had the Tony Hymes copy myself- Ive made my comments on this before and I can tell you that the evidence points to 2nd issues for a number of reasons- Yes they are thinner and you can see through the 2nd issues when held up to light. Myself and John Weston saw at least 3 of these at the Ritz some years ago. I bought mine off Sam and I am telling you it is very different to the 2nd issue. The other piece of information I have is lost in an old email from a supplier and he was less than amicable when I questioned him . He had off the cuff offered me a copy and when I quizzed him about it he got abit nasty to say the least including this statement that I cannot forget "Wise up Steve this is business" and even went on to tell me that well known dealers in the Uk had been supplied "so forget integrity of you Brits" was his comment. Ive never since i was youngster spent so much time trying to find out the truth about a record and I am convinced by information that their are second issues which supports whatever the Youtube person put up!

Just a point to this - The price came down in Manships because copies turned up but if they were found categorically to bethe 2nd issues then the originals should go back up to pre 3rd edition prices IMO!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Just out of interest check this link..Now yes a flash could wash a colour out, but check closely there are two different photos of a yellow label, a handful of the orange, plus they guy selling the yellow had multiple copies and it's the same pic for all his/her (?) sales...My copy is orange and definitely not yellow...What do you think ?

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=frederick+hymes&incldescr=&sortord=dprice&thumbs=&currsel=3

Social source share

Hi all,

The "youtube person" that you guys are refering too seems be me! :yes:

Just to clarify the information I used in my comment on You Tube, it was gathered from a number of source's before I posted it up and included comments that were cross checked by me from the knowledgable people here on Soul Source with other info I could find.

As I stated in the opening line on YouTube, "As far as I know..." meaning that's all I could find out at the time.

If anymore definative light is shed on this tune then that's gotta be good news to all those that are interested eh? :thumbsup:

Eddie

Social source share

I thought it was common knoledge that the yellow copy is a second release ? the tune was very huge around the turn of the century over here in Germany (too) and some sort of anthem of the late uptight weekenders in frankfurt maybe due arthur having been the first to have played it there (god, we had so much fun there back then..) and I seem to remember the yellow copies starting to flood ebay around the same time ? have an orange and just couldnt see myself having a collection without this 45. be it yellow or orange :wink:

the tonny hymes is awesome by the way!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This thread is a re-issue...

Just to confuse things, the ebay seller with quantity was based in vegas. So he could have turned up old stock. I bought one of the pale looking ones. When it arrived it had deep orange labels and isn't see through.

The rule is: if you own this, it's original. If you're looking to buy, it's a bootleg!

Thats a nonsense statement- Its an ongoing issue until its absolutely put to bed full stop.When I questioned the person who had the stock I asked if these were original or pressed up under licence/ from the same stampers etc and he could have just said that they were original from a found box or something but No he didnt as I had mine infront of me and asked some searching questions- When I told him I had one infront of me he got really Narky and then made the comments as per previous post. I even said I'd warn the dealers over here to which his reply was they already have them and his exact comment was "Wise up Steve this is business" - To me that was the nail in the coffin that they were represses!

p.s. I had no axe to grind (& still dont) as I got mine for a decent price off Sam at Fleetwood! so my view on this was from an interest point of view!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Got my copy from the guy from vegas $200 i think after having it for a year or two went to sell it offerd it to pat brady who would not touch it because he was not sure if they were original or not, stuck it on ebay only got 120. Ponit being the big dealers are not sure then stay away from it. Ilove the record its a great tune but will not buy another one.

Social source share

its a good thing to have at least one area of chaos i reckon in a world of rules rules rules.

its amusing that some people get so badly irritated about flicking through piles of s+++ to get to a few nice bits without even leaving home these days. we have become impatient and pampered. Your irritation seems mild and humorous, Marc. Some people really really spit bile about it as if it doesn't have an off button. Odd i think.

if there is a problem with FB its just that its got most of the posts already from here on it so you end up seeing it again just in another 3 separate groups.

Trouble is you end up defeating the object as I and I guess others have turned off notifications for these groups and any other that someone thinks its wise to sign you up to without asking.

Anyway stop complaining about post from here being on there too, there is an off button :thumbup:

Social source share

Just out of interest check this link..Now yes a flash could wash a colour out, but check closely there are two different photos of a yellow label, a handful of the orange, plus they guy selling the yellow had multiple copies and it's the same pic for all his/her (?) sales...My copy is orange and definitely not yellow...What do you think ?

https://www.popsike.c...umbs=&currsel=3

Got to remember this won't be the first very good '2nd press" to come from that part of the world. There's some rare sweet stuff redone as well about the same time. :yes:

And before we start this one again everything on Prix is a first issue....they found the owner who had a garage full....

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Got to remember this won't be the first very good '2nd press" to come from that part of the world. There's some rare sweet stuff redone as well about the same time. :yes:

And before we start this one again everything on Prix is a first issue....they found the owner who had a garage full....

Steve, your talking in riddles..tell it like it is...now i'm confused...Prix..Royal Esquires ???

Social source share

This one has to be an original, it has a publisher stamped on:

https://www.popsike.com/Soul-45-FREDERICK-HYMES-III-Time-Aint-FAB-VEGAS-4526/370244166857.html

(I thought Lu-Bet was LA before, interesting that it is vegas).

Whether this is the same (I always thought they were the same) is the question. However, comparing the orange popsike copies with the yellow ones does make them look different. The paper on the yellower ones looks thinner and less glossy.

*HOWEVER*, even if there are two presses, you really don't know if it was pressed around the same time the original came out versus now. The fact that they used the original plates is more evidence that it was just a second run at the same time. So "second pressing" doesn't necessarily mean "modern reissue".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If anyone on here has got a copy that they can see the light through when holding it in front of a light bulb - please post up a picture of it.

This thing keeps coming up. That the second issues that exists are see-through.

If NO ONE on SoulSource has got a see-through-kinda copy, and can prove it, chances that it exists are remote in my opinion.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

The see-through vinyl thing is a red-herring: I don't believe copies like that exist. It's an example of wires getting crossed and rumours being perpetuated through internet message boards.

The record with the see-through plastic 'second press' of a rare original is Glenda McLeod.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The see-through vinyl thing is a red-herring: I don't believe copies like that exist. It's an example of wires getting crossed and rumours being perpetuated through internet message boards.

The record with the see-through plastic 'second press' of a rare original is Glenda McLeod.

I totally agree with you.

Social source share

....And John & weirdest - which I believe came from the same area as FH :yes:

I mean no one is now going to admit to having a see through copy of F Hymes are they? Really?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

This one has to be an original, it has a publisher stamped on:

https://www.popsike.c...0244166857.html

(I thought Lu-Bet was LA before, interesting that it is vegas).

Whether this is the same (I always thought they were the same) is the question. However, comparing the orange popsike copies with the yellow ones does make them look different. The paper on the yellower ones looks thinner and less glossy.

*HOWEVER*, even if there are two presses, you really don't know if it was pressed around the same time the original came out versus now. The fact that they used the original plates is more evidence that it was just a second run at the same time. So "second pressing" doesn't necessarily mean "modern reissue".

i saw that bob its the only one on popsike with that stamp. do you think it could be real or fake...does any one else have one of these with these with the lu-bet stamp on...all ive got to say in all the confusion i agree with bob in the first press 2nd press scenario as they were done at the same time, but i think its a 2000 press in any shape form or fashion rather than say a 1973 press.....unless someone can prove otherwise thats what we need

Social source share

I mean no one is now going to admit to having a see through copy of F Hymes are they? Really?

Why wouldn't they? I mean if it exists, get the info straight. We are discussing and documenting bootlegs and reissues all day long on here, so why is it so sensitive with this particular 45? If I had a see-through copy I would post up a picture of me holding it in front of a light bulb. Everyone can be fooled from time to time, but at least get the facts documented instead of just spreading rumours.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i saw that bob its the only one on popsike with that stamp. do you think it could be real or fake...does any one else have one of these with these with the lu-bet stamp on...all ive got to say in all the confusion i agree with bob in the first press 2nd press scenario as they were done at the same time, but i think its a 2000 press in any shape form or fashion rather than say a 1973 press.....unless someone can prove otherwise thats what we need

I don't know about the stamp but there was a record label Lu-Bet that released two 45s by the LA group the Explosions (same group as on Highland and the Xplosions on Funk City). It has to be the same company I guess.

Reusing the same plates much later is not common. Plates get worn out and if anyone has been to a label owner's house where s/he actually has old plates, they're all bent up and usuable. They are not stiff / rigid. I do think the same plates makes it more likely it was a run at the time.

Social source share

for the record mine is orange on non see thru vinyl bought around 2003/4 from a uk very reputable dealer i was visiting who had 3 copies me and the two mates that were with me took one each all looked the same. still have it still sounds fabulous to my ears

yeah, I guess one thing that would be weird if it was a second run from 1973 or whenever is that the vinyl should be the same. The paper also looks funny on the yellowish ones. I don't know if this will ever be resolved because there is evidence both ways.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why wouldn't they? I mean if it exists, get the info straight. We are discussing and documenting bootlegs and reissues all day long on here, so why is it so sensitive with this particular 45? If I had a see-through copy I would post up a picture of me holding it in front of a light bulb. Everyone can be fooled from time to time, but at least get the facts documented instead of just spreading rumours.

It's sensitive because no one has wittingly bought a reissue. Like the John & The Weirdest I suspect some of those who got the 2nd issue were horrified to find out, and have retro-dated them with a bit of buffing up and 'WOL' so they at least look more authentic when viewed by a turntable 'hawk'. Or am I just a total cynic?

The trouble with what you say Seb, is the two copies looked different when held together at Cleethorpes. At the time we weren't doing a forensic study for the Soul Source bootleg and Reissue club members, so we didn't spend much time on it. We certainly didn't hold either copy up to UV lights, or take a micro-scratching off the surface of the vinyl to have it biked off and historically dated at John Manship towers, nor did we measure the run out groove with a laser. Having suspected it to have been reissued amid rumour and gossip, we just had a copy of the orangy one and the yellowy one and said something like "Oh, they are different after all, how odd" and then moved onto the next record.

Sorry but that's it. If someone is coming to a venue where I am on, I'll bring an orangy copy along, and we can do a proper analysis....But until then, it's only going to be word and mouth.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!